Thread: 1991 850i Jerks when on/off gas? Motor/Trans mounts? U-Joint? CVs? Experts please

My Cars
    (5) 850Ci, E9,SL65,911S

1991 850i Jerks when on/off gas? Motor/Trans mounts? U-Joint? CVs? Experts please

My 1991 850i (Automatic) with just 75K original miles has a jerking or clunking feeling in the driveline when on/off the gas...

I have not had it up in the air but was thinking motor or trans mounts? Or possibly a U-joint or center support bearing etc...

With the very low milage I would not think anything is worn out in the U-Joint,Center Support bearing or CV joints dept but who knows???

Any input from the experts on known problems or where to look first is appreciated...
    Last edited by execmalibu; 03-06-2015 at 12:25 PM.

My Cars
    M70 6sp. 540iT, 535is
    Auto/Manual? I would check Part #2

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=26&fg=10&hl=9
    Last edited by bmw528e11; 03-06-2015 at 11:49 AM.

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw528e11 View Post
    +1

My Cars
    (5) 850Ci, E9,SL65,911S
    Automatic...

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Have sorted similar issue on mine. If it's only when throttling on and off and not during gear changes then I'd say it's most likely your DK motors that are getting stuck and need cleaning. 91 850 doesn't have a rubber guibo like later 850cis on the drive shaft and if it was suspension joints, diff/engine/trans mounts you'd feel a clunk when changing gear (particularly reverse). I've been through all of this on my 1991 850i. The jerk on throttle went away when I fitted refurb'd throttle bodies (courtesy of dragon850). I've also fitted new engine/trans/diff mounts but gear change clunk is still there. A few minutes on a hoist revealed that the rear subframe bushes were poked, so that's next on the list.

My Cars
    M70 6sp. 540iT, 535is
    Hm.. I didn't know that '91 auto didn't had flex disc.. I thought realoem had a bug... Lol ..

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...54&hg=26&fg=10.

Check if you see any grease near #6 (like on heat shields/ chassis) gasket #9 sometimes ripps and grease escapes while you drive.. (E39 issue )

You can check by lifting rear wheels, leave the gear in park and try to rotate both two wheels at the same time (same direction) back and forth.

Hope it helps.

* once I've seen tourque converters bolts loose

My Cars
    (5) 850Ci, E9,SL65,911S
    DK motors? It seems more like a mechanical problem like something is loose and the drivetrain is moving?

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Hard to know without driving yours but mine really jerked when you throttled on and off and was fixed by repairing the DKs - though no doubt worn bushes throughout amplified the sensation. If it was mechanical I'd think you'd feel it more when changing gear.

I think the unfortunate truth will be that there is no single fix, it will be a combination of worn bushes and mounts throughout, plus DKs. That said, after doing trans, engine and diff mounts the jerking was still there in my car until I replaced the DKs. Now it's gone but I still have a clunk when changing gear that is due to worn subframe bushes.