Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Instrument Panel Lighting

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i

Talking Custom Instrument Panel Lighting

Has anyone out there changed the color of their dash LEDs from the stock orange? If so please add you pics

Thanks!

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    I believe that would require you to open the cluster and un-solder the surface mount LED's that are used for lighting and solder in new ones.

One guy did his ENTIRE E46 instrument paneling to blue. I will see if I can find the thread.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Geneticist View Post
    Has anyone out there changed the color of their dash LEDs from the stock orange? If so please add you pics

Thanks!
    You can switch the LEDs out to white but IMO the red is better

Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    98 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by webdesigner View Post
    You can switch the LEDs out to white but IMO the red is better

it's not an opinion, it's a scientific fact. red light does not constrict the pupils to the same degree that other, more narrow-wavelength lights do. Thus, they stay dialated further to let in the light the really matters - in front of the car.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Yes it can be done, but it's a real pain in the butt to do as if you change your cluster to blue, it looks out of place with the rest of the amber illumination. To then go round and change all illumination to match requires a lot of patience, time and skill. It's been done by a handful of people. If it's your thing, be prepared for the long arduous slog of doing all the soldering changes etc. If you pay someone to do it, be prepared for a fiarly hefty labour bill/charge as it will take time to do.

As Mattmartindrift mentions, for human night vision, it's proven that reds/amber for dashboard/interior lighting in a car is best as it doesn't causes the least amount of eye strain.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    E30 323i - E28 M535i
    Take a peep 'over the fence' at http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/
    I remember some guy changed his interior to blue a few years ago (it might be the E46 guy referred to above, I'm not sure).
    Results are very impressive. A ton of work apparently.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Here is the E46 everyone is talking about:

It is a pain to do, but the results are somewhat impressive because it is unique. The hardest part would be the backlight on the LCD screens. These are hard to get right without screwing up the bightlight, aka making it dim or no light at all. The LCD backlights also use SMD LEDs you would need a small tip soldering iron to do those.

The reason I resist doing something like this is the reason for using amber is brilliant for night driving.

My Cars
    e24, e39
    smd led's are very small
    Last edited by parkerbomar; 01-04-2012 at 01:27 AM.

My Cars
    2008 BMW M3 Coupe
    it looks out of place with the rest of the amber illumination

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmartindrift View Post
    it's not an opinion, it's a scientific fact. red light does not constrict the pupils to the same degree that other, more narrow-wavelength lights do. Thus, they stay dialated further to let in the light the really matters - in front of the car.
    Correct, the current color is scientifically optimized for night driving. They even set it up so you don't have to turn on a light to read something... I won't give away more details An "avid Toyota enthusiast" went nuts when he noticed little features like that in my car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Except he was probably stating his preference for red over white from an aesthetics viewpoint, which, regardless of the scientific data explicating the advantages of red over white, is just that, an opinion. In line with the same reasoning, one's choosing of instrument cluster lights that are anything but red is simply a matter of personal preference--aesthetic or otherwise, but more than likely to be the former--despite the evidence that choosing so is minutely detrimental to their driving.
    Last edited by freethrowdunk; 01-04-2012 at 03:11 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by webdesigner View Post
    Correct, the current color is scientifically optimized for night driving. They even set it up so you don't have to turn on a light to read something... I won't give away more details An "avid Toyota enthusiast" went nuts when he noticed little features like that in my car.
    The color chosen isn't really optimum for night driving. If it was it would be a "pure" red color. I'm sure the reason they chose is to make it easier to see. Red on Black doesn't provide enough contrast, especially at night, to provide the ability to simply glance at the dials and know what is going on. BMW probably chose the amber color as the next best thing.

My Cars
    16' 328xiT /04' TSX 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeniczone View Post

Looks cheap and overtly trendy.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by hon2bmw View Post
    Looks cheap and overtly trendy.
    Looks more like a VW to me.

My Cars
    540i
    funny... i've always admired the amber dash lights when driving my previous vehicles at night and glanced over as a BMW passed. plus i absolutely detest soldering. i'll be keeping mine the factory amber hue...

My Cars
    03 ///M5
    ahhh i love it when he does this sh*t
    2003 ///M5. ~ Jet Black/ Le Mans Blue

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower/ 419lbs torque
    Supersprint Headers
    CNS Lightweight dm flywheel/ Spec clutch
    ST coilovers
    Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets
    Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads
    Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers
    Michelin Pilot supersports

My Cars
    01 540it Sport/BrabusCLK
    a strange yellow or violet would be an interesting color choice for our interior lighting but the red looks great to me

"If everyone thought the same when it came to modding there would be no thinking"

My Cars
    Dinan 540i 6-Speed
    Is there anymore info on those white LED's in the pictures above?

I actually think it looks pretty good.

My Cars
    '00 M5, 79' 633csi, 5.0
    I like the blue, I think it looks great at night. Does kinda hurt the eyes though, but its quite nice to look at. If the dash was actually RED that'd be awesome, it's a bit too orange for me, at least considering reds a favorite of mine.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman540i View Post
    Is there anymore info on those white LED's in the pictures above?

I actually think it looks pretty good.
    What more information do you want?

You take the cluster apart, with a fine tip soldering iron you remove the amber SMD LEDs, and replace them with white SMD LEDs.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    i just redid my gauges but they still look the same at night

~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    03 ///M5
    Am i the only one here that likes the orange ? -___-
    2003 ///M5. ~ Jet Black/ Le Mans Blue

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower/ 419lbs torque
    Supersprint Headers
    CNS Lightweight dm flywheel/ Spec clutch
    ST coilovers
    Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets
    Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads
    Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers
    Michelin Pilot supersports

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    the orange reminds me of a 1990 vw
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    Dinan 540i 6-Speed
    I was just wondering if there was a write-up for the DIY, as well as more info on what exact LED's were used.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    it looks like old technology that was cool at one point but the world moved on kinda like in a calculator watch kinda way
    ~2001 540i/6speed~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast