RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Replacing E36 hood release cable BEFORE it fails...questions.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5

Replacing E36 hood release cable BEFORE it fails...questions.

I'm thinking it's time to go after my hood release cable before something bad happens. It's getting kind of hard to release, and i'm hearing bad things about trying to replace it with a closed hood.

The pelican process seems fairly straightforward, though i read anoth description that talks about the complexity of dealing with the grommet at the firewall.

Pelican seems to indicate

- Open up the underdash
    - Unhook the cable from the lever
    - Unhook the cables from the latches
    - Pull the cable through the firewall from the engine compartment, attach a string or cable to pull through the new cable (No grommet issues?)

- Use the string to pull through the new cable.

- reattach to latches and check.

Questions:

1) Is the cable straightforward to get through the firewall?
    2) are the latches typically in need of replacement? Car lives in garages, so they're fairly clean without rust.

Thanks,

Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 144k
    Waiting for Shepott wheel
    Vienna, VA

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Try to lubricate the latches and locks first, then check to see if they are aligned properly. If you are having a hard time getting the hood latch to open the hood, that is typically an alignment issue.

As for the cable, it is pretty easy going thru the fire wall, just have a string attached to the old one to assist in getting the new one back thru.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    Danke.
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA