Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blacktop beams in 83 320i

My Cars
    1983 320i
    ended up likeing the stuff so much, decided to buy the pro kit off dyc.com i'll post pics,

wheels on car.

been sanding a bunch, getting ready saturday will be the big day.

Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    Can somebody give me an AMEN!

My Cars
    '80 320i 5sp (sold)
    Man, that is one of the coolest threads I've seen on here!
    Knew you were "local", didn't know about the swap, or that you wanted to AutoX.
    I should be getting mine on the 29th and I'll see you at some of the Rantoul events.

'80 320i 5sp (sold), Pelican Blue '98 B5 A4 Sport Quattro 5sp (for sale)
    Coming Soon, 320i 5sp????
    BMWCCA Illini Chapter Member ID: 502314

My Cars
    1983 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBlue72 View Post
    Man, that is one of the coolest threads I've seen on here!
    Knew you were "local", didn't know about the swap, or that you wanted to AutoX.
    I should be getting mine on the 29th and I'll see you at some of the Rantoul events.
    thanks man! with little feedback i couldn't tell if anyone was interested or not. i do plan on running it up at rantoul at least a couple times this year, hopefully she'll hold up!

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    WE NEED VIDEO FOOTAGE. Awesome build btw, I've always thought about a Beams motor. I think I'll do one in an E30 one day!
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    1983 320i
    had the wife help tape the car up, shes much better at detail than me. and its nice to see her in the garage every now and then.

getting garage warmed up and prepped now. really excited/ nervous i'm not going for show quality by any means but i don't want people to look at it and go "ehh...... you did that ?" if you guys know where im coming from.

wish me luck!

My Cars
    81 BMW e21, 98 VW gti vr
    awesome! love the swap!

My Cars
    1983 320i
    coat 1

- - - Updated - - -

coat 3

My Cars
    1983 320i
    final coats. ended up doing 6 would have been fine at 4 just would have kicked my own axx if something wouldn't have came out ok.

- - - Updated - - -

decided to touch the grille up a little bit, worst thing about painting is the rest of the stuff i didn't black out looks like crap compared to everythign else now. a friend of mine thought i got a new grille. so good enough for me.

- - - Updated - - -

staring to unwrap and re-assemble.

gun burped once, my own fault for not pre burping. tip-if you dip with sprayer. pre-spray gun before every time re starting even after 10 second interval.

My Cars
    '80 320i 5sp (sold)
    I wondered if that was some of Fonzie's finest. Looks great!
    I may have to come out and have you show me how to do mine when I get it.
    '80 320i 5sp (sold), Pelican Blue '98 B5 A4 Sport Quattro 5sp (for sale)
    Coming Soon, 320i 5sp????
    BMWCCA Illini Chapter Member ID: 502314

My Cars
    1983 320i
    WE NEED VIDEO FOOTAGE. Awesome build btw, I've always thought about a Beams motor. I think I'll do one in an E30 one day!
    i've got a go-pro i use for my powered para gliding flying (whole different obsession) i'll see what i can do

i would be lying if i said i wasn't inspired by some guy in Australia who did it in a e30, and much cleaner than i did if i have to compare. he kept a/c and all goodies. i just hacked and made it work. lol

I wondered if that was some of Fonzie's finest. Looks great!
    I may have to come out and have you show me how to do mine when I get it
    i like all his videos on youtube, i like that they don't bs about the product and come right out and tell you what to expect and what it will and won't do. i think the technology on plasti dip has come a long way in a couple years and its only getting better.

i can't stop taking pictures and staring. when i did the swap i told myself i wouldn't spend any money on making it look better, only making it faster. it was cheap and i'm really glad i did it now.

can't stop taking pictures and staring at it. lol its gonna be a good summer.

i like this simple shot.

- - - Updated - - -

garage shots, the rear deck came out matching perfectly. i feel like i should be driving this thing around in Cali. (no offence guys, i'd love to be driving this up and down the beach)

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    SchaWING!

My Cars
    1983 320i
    my neighbor across the road (big autox enthusiest) had some 15x7 rubber with only a season or so left on them, and offered to sell them to me (lucky me huh) and my rubber has good tread (just kind of cracked from guy before me letting it sit so much). So i decided i should have a different set of wheels for whatever. so cheapest best looking wheel i could find 378 to my door for drag dr-27 with 10m offset.

will post more when i get the rubbers.

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    I'd switch to amber LEDs for the interior lighting as homage to the old BMW instrumentation. Gotta say I'm impressed with the install attitude! If it's meant to work out it will!
    I still drive daily with no commute...
    The Hazard is All, Praise the Hazard!

My Cars
    1983 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by midlifebmw View Post
    I'd switch to amber LEDs for the interior lighting as homage to the old BMW instrumentation. Gotta say I'm impressed with the install attitude! If it's meant to work out it will!
    i thought about doing some of the old block stripes

maybe something like that.... to pay homage I changed out the instrumentation so I don't know how well amber would have gone with the rest of it. I do appreciate the opinion, though.

I got my new rubbers today, I can't wait to see how different the car will handle/drive with these on there.
    They're 255/45zr15 BF Goodrich. 200 tread wear.

- - - Updated - - -

other pic didn't come out, heres the type of stripes i was thinking about, or something similar. if you just google "racing e21" there were a lot of cool combos out there

My Cars
    1983 320i
    Progress....................... very little. since i've had this thing in it hasn't ran worth a hoot. bad throttle response, dies on idle and the list goes on. i bit a bullet and ordered a adaptronic e420d out of aussie and wiring it up now. i got to give the support credit. they are very helpful so far. can't wait to post a video of this thing tearing up tires.

My Cars
    buick
    Nice car. You should make it shine more. I usually buy shine auto products at kaoolo.com

My Cars
    '78 320i M42
    Awesome work!

My Cars
    83 S50/320i and '03 745i
    Wow...not bad at all brother! Nice work.....very nice
    My build thread M20 than S50 into 320i: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post23442810

My Cars
    1983 320i
    well........ hard to believe it's been a full year with this same color and "dip" overall i'd say i'm extremely impressed with the product. the car has been sitting a good majority of the time but always outside. wife sold her car and my "project" car had to become my "actual car" so I've been daily driving past couple weeks. i gotta say its pretty nice to drive her more.

BMW 5.20.16.jpg

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Loved the build thread man. I daily drove an is300 for 5 years-- always wondered what the 2JZ would do for the e21. I love your frankenstein swap-- made me think of my old DD.
    Last edited by jaredmac11; 05-20-2016 at 06:48 PM.

My Cars
    E21 320i, E30 325i
    How is the plastidip holding up after a year? I've been mulling in my head about doing that to my E30 but worried about how it holds up.
    '81 E21 320i / '90 E30 325i / '̶9̶2̶ ̶E̶3̶4̶ ̶5̶2̶5̶i̶t (sold) / '15 Toyota XW30 / '̶̶8̶0̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶ ̶3̶2̶0̶i̶A̶ (sold)

My Cars
    1983 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredmac11 View Post
    Loved the build thread man. I daily drove an is300 for 5 years-- always wondered what the 2JZ would do for the e21. I love your frankenstein swap-- made me think of my old DD.

i'm glad i went with this toyota engine, finally starting to make it run decent with the aftermarket ecu (big learning curve) i probably should have gone with a megasquirt just for ease of access to people who know the program. but that little engine is a beatiful thing. around 4-5 thousand just sounds like a sewing machine its so smooth. its never leaked a drop of anything. just really happy with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by amarino View Post
    How is the plastidip holding up after a year? I've been mulling in my head about doing that to my E30 but worried about how it holds up.
    the plasi-dip is honestly doing WAY better than i really thought it would especially for the car sitting outside all of the time. I really want to change the color just cause i can, but it still looks so good i really don't think i should mess with it.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i 5 Speed
    this was an awesome build WOW

My Cars
    E36

http://chambana.craigslist.org/cto/5975556251.html

Good luck with sale! I'm local ish and stumbled on it on CL.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast