Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 762Armo's 540i Thread

My Cars
    E34

762Armo's 540i Thread

Just bought this 540i/6. Been out of the E34 game for a while, since my white 525. Glad I'm back in another alpine E34 though, this time bigger and better.
    It needs a few things mechanically, body is pretty straight. All electronics work, doors lock. Trunk might need a new lock though. I'm sure I'll find little things here and there. Once I tackle the mechanical stuff, I'll look into getting some other goodies.

- - - Updated - - -

Did these pics work?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I guess I was wrong about the trunk, but the glovebox is locked and won't open, and key doesn't move right or left at all when in the lock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E34 528i, E39 540i M
    Congrats on the new car, always exciting especially when its an old BMW. Yes the pics work, I think it can quite easily look very good after you just sort out a few things.
    Look forward to seeing you tidy it up a bit.

My Cars
    E34
    Thanks TNR.

I need to top off some fluids and change the oil. What do you guys recommend to use? Power Steering, Brake Fluid, and oil. Brand preferences?

Quote Originally Posted by 762Armo View Post
    Just bought this 540i/6. Been out of the E34 game for a while, since my white 525. Glad I'm back in another alpine E34 though, this time bigger and better.
    It needs a few things mechanically, body is pretty straight. All electronics work, doors lock. Trunk might need a new lock though. I'm sure I'll find little things here and there. Once I tackle the mechanical stuff, I'll look into getting some other goodies.

- - - Updated - - -

Did these pics work?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I guess I was wrong about the trunk, but the glovebox is locked and won't open, and key doesn't move right or left at all when in the lock.
    Is your handle still attached?
    If not, there should be a little "J" hook lever. Push that to the right or left and it should unlatch the lock.

My handle broke off and didn't have a J hook, so I had to drill it out until the glove box fell out. Went to Pick n' Pull yesterday and got a glove box lock for like two or three dollars.

Download the app "Row52." You can search a ton of local junkyards if they have E34s there.
    Follow my Instagram to see what I'm wrenching on: @xlukaslw

My Cars
    E34
    Thanks. Handle is still there. I will mess around with it some more, it's almost as if it needs a different key to unlock it.

Im on cleaning duty right now.

My Cars
    E34
    The very first thing I do when I get a new old car is wash it. I hate working on dirty cars. So I washed the exterior, and started cleaning out the interior. Took all but the drivers seat out, vacuumed and started cleaning the carpets.

Before.

Process. I used the foaming cleaner.

I bought an easy wheel cleaner, to use for scrubbing. What I learned is, it sucks to be scrubbing with it, and hit the seat mounting clips with my fingers. Also it looks like a camel came on the carpet.

Didn't turn out too bad though. I'm gonna do this again in the next few days.

My Cars
    95 M3 CP 95 M540i
    It was good seeing you at the dealership, 762Armo.

I seriously think you got a pretty good deal on that car.

If you need anything for that car, Absolute German in Seattle recently got a alpine white e34 540i. Just like yours.

I believe it still has most of the parts on that car.

Since driving your car, I feel like my steering is even more loose now. :<

My Cars
    E34
    Nice meeting you too man. Hopefully we'll get some meets going when it gets warmer out.
    I gotta get those motor mounts changed soon though. It's driving me crazy. I also got some extra suspension parts and control arms, if I don't use them I'll give them to you.

My Cars
    95 M3 CP 95 M540i
    Nice meeting you too man. Hopefully we'll get some meets going when it gets warmer out.
    I gotta get those motor mounts changed soon though. It's driving me crazy. I also got some extra suspension parts and control arms, if I don't use them I'll give them to you.
    Oh that'd be sweet. I could always use those

My Cars
    E34
    Ok guys, any more tips on the glove box, it is really annoying that I can't get it opened. I'd rather not drill anything in there. The handle moves up when I pull on it, but obviously it doesn't open the glove box. When I stick the key in there the key doesn't turn left or right.

My Cars
    1990 535/5
    What key did your car come with? I don't believe the valet key will unlock the glovebox or trunk.

Post a a pic of your key.

BTW, nice work on the carpets. They look miles better. Mine were pretty bad under the front passenger too. Somebody clearly lost a latte at one point
    Last edited by Tre0Tre34; 03-06-2015 at 07:53 PM.

My Cars
    E34
    I'm not driving the car yet so I don't have the key with me right now. I guess it could be the valet key.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this a valet key? Both my previous E34s had this same key, and I've not seen another E34 with a different key.

My Cars
    1990 535/5
    Hmmm... Doesn't look like the valet key to me either. Though I guess a copy could have always been made from the valet key?

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    Doesn't seem like a key issue although a good way to ensure is to try locking the trunk with it.
    As for the glovebox, sometimes the latches break (happened to my brothers e34) and so the glove box gets stuck closed. and neither the key/pulling the hatch would help. How I got it open was, forcing some separation between the dash and glove box, reaching the very top panel and with my brother holding a flat head as well as I, we manually pushed the locking mechanism open and the glove box fell down. Replace the latch and your good to go.

The 540i looks sweet though! Enjoy the 6speed as well you lucky bastad!
    *Have a Alpine white rear bumper for sale if you need something without holes in it lol, PM if interested.

My Cars
    E34
    Key locks and unlocks trunk, so I guess we're good there.
    Ill try that method Kinghorn.
    I'd be interested in that bumper depending on price shipped. I assume it won't be cheap though. I guess one of the junkyards here has an alpine 540, but I've been too busy to check it out and grab the bumper. It doesn't bother too much yet, since I've got other issues to work out at the moment that take priority.

My Cars
    E34
    Got a little done over the weekend. Fixed my drivers side window. That was a bitch. Replaced the clips, realigned the track, and put the window back in.
    Changed the radiator hoses, but one of them was the wrong one, it was thicker than the original on the car. It's tight and rubs on the oil filter housing. Will get a true one and put it in.
    Changed the oil filter housing o ring/gasket, it looked like oil was leaking through it. The old one in there was flattened out. Doesn't look like it was changed for a while.
    Put the interior back in after a good cleaning.
    This was it for the weekend.

Not looking forward to doing the motor mounts. So I put that off till next weekend.
    Valve cover gaskets need to be changed and DUDMD advised to change to timing gasket as well. I'm gonna have him do this for me as it intimidates me.

My Cars
    E34
    Had to get this.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 530it
    The perfect companion for your German Cupholder.(that place between your thighs)

My Cars
    E34
    I had DUDMD, do my valve cover gaskets, and timing chain cover gaskets. For the price he quoted me, it didn't make sense for me to do it. Especially since I've never done it before.

Doing the following over the next few days. Bad motor mounts just ate another radiator hose. And the brakes need work too. Hoping to wrap this up by Sunday if the weather holds. Last weekend it rained non stop.

Had to get me this set. It will go on the car soon.

Staggered, tires are ok for a little while.

Popped the glove box open, and found some presents inside. I was really hoping for something cooler. Had a bunch of techno CDs, and an Armin Van Buren disk. Any one a fan, I can send you these. Toilet seat covers are also available for sale. I don't use public bathrooms for #2s, so I have no use for them.

Sadly, the glove box won't lock anymore, and hangs unevenly.
    That little piece came from inside of the lock. The "clips"/"teeth" I don't know what to call them, that catch on the lock. One is this broken one, the other one is pressed inside..... I just confused myself, don't think I made sense. Anyway, how do I fix this, what part do I need, and how can I make my key work with it?

Also couldn't resist getting this set.

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    I have the same issue with the glove box. I fixed the latch issue with soapy water since the old grease preventer it from popping out all the way. No grease is better than old grease. I do not know how to level it out, I would like to now how to do that too.
    95 E34 553i6 LS TR6060 Project
    93 E34 525iA Beater with no heater
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    E34
    I'll take a pic in the next few days. This car has adjustable clips in the back of the glove box, that my previous e34s didn't, but I didn't have a chance to mess with them as it got dark out.
    I'll clean the latch with soapy water, but I broke one of the little clips inside the latch. Maybe the other one will pop out, and at least will partly close the glove box.

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    I'll take a pic in the next few days. This car has adjustable clips in the back of the glove box, that my previous e34s didn't, but I didn't have a chance to mess with them as it got dark out.
    I'll clean the latch with soapy water, but I broke one of the little clips inside the latch. Maybe the other one will pop out, and at least will partly close the glove box.
    My part with the latch is also cracked but still works fine. I have played around with those clips below and still could not fix the issue, maybe improved but not fixed. I even had the dashboard off and took a look. I am beginning to think it is a lost cause.
    95 E34 553i6 LS TR6060 Project
    93 E34 525iA Beater with no heater
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    E34
    Hung out with Touge and he helped me do my motor mounts on Saturday. Car feels a thousand times better now.

It took a long time, and it was a pain in the ass. I'm glad I did this with Touge and his engine stand and his help.

Today I threw on the wheels I bought. I love the look, but the ride is not as soft obviously.

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Hey baby, post some pics

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    Love seeing a new owner take care of their car

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast