Thread: F25 X3 Rear Vent Removal

My Cars
    '11 X3 xDrive35i

F25 X3 Rear Vent Removal

Hi everyone!

It's my first time posting here on the X3 Forum, I've been lurking around since I bought my 2011 X3 xDrive35i back in September. Lot of useful info here, so I hope I can get your thoughts on the problem I have with my rear vents. I've tried searching, I couldn't find anything useful. Only result came up was the removal for an E90, and it is a completely different layout, so no luck.

Back when I bought my car in September I made my salesperson throw in a brand new rear vents with a spare key, and new set of floor mats. I never had a BMW without a broken air vent, and this time I was committed to have a BMW with operating vents. He told me he would give me the part but he could not get them put on as it takes a long time to put them on. He assured me that it was a very lengthy but a strait forward job. Turns out, it's not.

I've been very careful not to break or chip anything because the rear vents are kind of "In Your Face" for the rear passengers and I don't wanna mess it up and have an eyesore worse than a broken vent.

So I need your help in taking the damn rear vent out of it's place. I've already taken the three T20 tork screws under the arm rest. The vent won't budge. Judging by the look of the new vent there are two rectangle holes on top of the vent. There are 2 metal tabs going through them. Again, judging by the new air vent, there should be 2 screws holding the vent secure on the bottom.

So here's my dilemma, do I remove the inner liner (Black, hard plastic) of the armrest storage and yank the rear vent out of there or do I move on to the rear console, face it straight on and remove the soft touch plastic/leather panel around the rear vent?

I'll post some pictures later tonight to make my point clear but for those who have done the job already should know exactly what I'm talking about and I need their help, bad...

Burke

Here are the pictures...

IMG_4492
    IMG_4494
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BurkeG; 02-28-2015 at 10:08 PM.

My Cars
    X3
    Hey mate, I have the same struggle, did you get it done?