Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Laminar's M3 5.0 swap: Fünf-Null

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, RIP 528e
    Holy crap that's a short and tight course! Certainly more suited towards a Miata than the M3. Good job on the strong finish!

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    BIL got a storage spot for the boat this year. After we parked the boat, I realized there was plenty of extra space...so the M3 is on Blizzaks and parked for the year.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Awesome!

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Got the car back out for the season. Found the battery completely 0.0V dead, the little maintainer apparently couldn't keep up in the cold dead of winter. It was bad enough that my "smart" charger wouldn't recognize that there was a battery connected and wouldn't bring it to life. I jumped the car off of the lithium jump pack and let it idle for a while to put some life back into the battery. After that the charger was able to revive the thing.

Need to do the pre-race nut and bolt check before Sunday, will have to steal the QuickJack from the Mazda to get that done. Supposed to be super cold Saturday night, so I'll get tires swapped over but leave it in the garage for the night. Almost time to race!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Spring is here!

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Almost time!! Hope my battery minder worked.
    Diving in at the shallow end!

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    What brand of battery maintainers do you use? I've the Ctek ones are reliable, but I don't have personal experience with them.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    I had a cheapo HF one on the M3 from like 10 years ago, it's probably not supposed to do anything bigger than a motorcycle battery.

I'm a week late here, but we had our first event. I pulled the car in for a pre-race inspection.

Among the general nut-and-bolt check, I did manage to find something...

I've snapped this bolt before, it's the driver's side engine mount bolt. Well dang. This time it was deep into the engine, probably a good 3/16" in there. I drilled it out and tried using an extractor, but my hole wasn't perfectly on center and the extractor didn't want to work.

So I finally broke out the welder. I started trying to build up the bolt so I could get a nut on it.

Eventually I got a nut on it and was able to back out the threads.

Turns out wheel spacers make a nice cupholder.

Checked fluids - topped off coolant, brake looked good, and the oil was still golden. In reality it only probably has 100 miles on it from last year since I started trailering to events.

Sunday's event! We were at the mall, which is a very small lot, much more of a Miata course than a big power course.

It was 41 degrees when I set out that morning and stayed gloomy and cold through the first heat. We definitely couldn't get any heat in the tires with such a short course. I ended the first heat 3rd in raw with a 30.1, behind an E46 (29.7) and a Miata (29.5). The second group started and the sun came out, and all of a sudden times started dropping. Going into the second heat I managed to nail down a 29.4, but everybody else got faster, too, and when the second group went out again with more heat on the course, they all got much faster. In the end, fastest with fenders was an ND Miata with a 28.1 and I was 13th in raw.

We had a photographer there that caught a sweet pic:

I've been running this set of RT660s since 2021. They probably have 80-90 runs and less than 500 street miles on them. There's definitely some tread depth left, but based on this weekend's showing, I'm going to say they're wiped. They felt rock hard in the turns and just weren't getting grippy. Some of it was definitely the temperature, but the way everyone dropped times and I didn't...

Time for new tires then. One of the people that beat me in raw is a Z4M Coupe that has historically been a ways behind me - at our event at this same venue last year I had him by a full second on a 20 second course. At the beginning of last year I had him by 3.5 seconds on a 45 second course. This event he beat me by 0.4. What changed? He got a set of RE71RS tires.

RE71RS in a 255/40R17. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy another set of tires for the M3 because the RX-8 would be ready, but...it's not. And I hate losing. Next event is in two weeks, should be fun to see what these things can do.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, RIP 528e
    Quote Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
    RE71RS in a 255/40R17. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy another set of tires for the M3 because the RX-8 would be ready, but...it's not. And I hate losing. Next event is in two weeks, should be fun to see what these things can do.
    Nice, that's what I'm going to put on my Infiniti. What made you go with those over the A052s?

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by 95maxrider View Post
    Nice, that's what I'm going to put on my Infiniti. What made you go with those over the A052s?
    The A052s miiiiight be good for a tiny lap time advantage, but they drop off from heat very quickly, wear quickly, and are very expensive. If I was trying to eek out a 0.05 second advantage at Nationals I'd probably have two sets of A052s so I could swap a fresh one on when the first got hot.

Plus I get a good discount on the Bridgestones.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Racing again! I'll start off by saying the new RE71RS Bridgestones are legit. More on that later.

Since the last event, I decided to change spark plugs. The old set wasn't that old, but I wanted to get a picture of what's going on inside each cylinder. Ever since I lost an injector and replaced it with the cheap single injector I don't trust that cylinder's running right.

I started on the driver's side and, as usual, pulled apart a plug wire trying to get it off. I got the plug changed and went to make a new wire, but found that I didn't have any more 135 degree angle boots left, just straight boots or 90s. I used a 90, but that ended up putting the wire against the header...not awesome, but it will have to do for now. More on that later. That was enough for me to give up and not do the passenger side, which is harder to get to and has a much higher risk of ripping up plug wires.

The only other prep work I did was securing the tablet so it didn't twist around a bunch. Other than that, I just ran it.

Started the day trailering the car to the event, and decided to keep the race tires in the cab with me due to the sub-freezing outside temperatures.

Got to the event, backed the car off the trailer, and...

U-haul trailers are not great for low cars. Had to re-bolt the bumper back in place, no real damage I can see except to those stupid triangles under the front of each tire, but I'm on like my third or fourth one of both of those so NBD.

Got the tires swapped over.

Gridded up.

This is the 1/8-mile drag strip with a small banked oval track at the end. Not a lot of course variation possible, so this was pretty similar to previous courses. First run out I was sliding all over the place. I usually ran my RT660s at 28psi but after talking to the two other guys running the RE71RS they usually did 32-34 psi so I tried running a little higher. The course was extremely heavy on the left turns, so the right tires took most of the abuse, especially the right front. At around 32 psi it was show wear up to the pointers molded into the tread, so I felt good about that.

I don't know if it was the grippy tires, if something has changed in my suspension over the winter, or this cambered surface, but the suspension was a bit of a mess. My car will lift a tire when I'm on power on corner exit, but this course has a curved slalom on a cambered surface, and every time I had a hard left turn, the car would literally skip to the right when I got on the throttle - I assume the inside front tire was lifting and the outside tire was jumping over. Outside of that, this course rewarded power as there were several decent acceleration zones, especially the end. During the first heat, we had several cars spin out in the chicane designed to limit speed through the finish, so they opened it up for our heat. Better to be going 75mph straight than 55 and turning, I guess.

The fastest time from the first heat was a 38.0, it was the Z4M coupe on Bridgestones that beat me last event and inspired me to get a set of my own. My first run out was a dirty 40.0, but it was very slippery. By the second run there was a little bit of heat in everything and I did a dirty 37.7. The next run was a dirty 37.2. When I would launch, I could tell it was not firing on all 8, it sounded like it was down a cylinder. I had also noticed over the past week that one bank's O2 reading liked to sit at 10.0 or 20.0 and was generally acting weird. I popped the hood in the pits and realized that the new plug wire I made had slightly pulled apart and was arcing into the header. I pushed the boot back onto the plug, though it wasn't retained there by anything but hopes and dreams, and went ahead and sent it again. By now the car was sticking and actually going where I pointed it - my next run was a clean 36.9, and then a clean 36.4. Watch the left turns in the slalom and you can see the car jumping each time.

After that was a 36.5 dirty and a 36.5 clean. For my final run, I launched hard and coming into the first braking zone, stomped on the brake and locked up all four - oops, no ABS. I had to be much more gentle for the rest of the run and ended that with a clean 37.4. I'll say that I feel much more stopping power with ABS disabled, but much more terrified and timid about modulating it properly. With my runs done, I had FTD secured, so I headed back to the pits to swap tires and load the trailer. After everyone else finished their final runs, I pulled up the live timing link and almost had a heart attack. A new GR86 managed to lop 0.7 seconds off his previous best time on his final run and leap frogged me for FTD. Guess what tires he was on?

I ended up second in raw and third (!!!) in PAX. Switching to XA was a good choice I think, I'm slightly more competitive in PAX and there are a few cars that also switched so we have a little competition. Last event I trailed the class leader by about three tenths, this event I led class by 2.7 seconds.

Loaded the car back on the trailer, this time adding a little spacer beneath the front tires so that the bumper doesn't get ripped off again.

For the next event - I've ordered the right plug boots so I can make up a proper plug wire. I'll need to reinstall the brake duct that fell out when the bumper got pulled apart, and I need some new clips for my passenger side rocker cover. I also need to ruminate and/or research a bit about my suspension and what I can do to stop the tire lift/skip phenomenon. It started when I swapped the front sway bar to full stiff, but the car also got significantly faster. It happens when I'm accelerating in a tight turn, so it's when weight is being transferred to the rear and off of the front. The rear sway bar is on the loose setting - this lets the rear roll, but with the stiff front bar it just lifts. Some things I assume could help:
    - More rear bar so that the rear doesn't roll as much, though I worry that it will unload the rear inside tire and I'll have less stability. Right now it puts power down like crazy and I don't want to lose too much of that.
    - More rear compression damping so that the rear doesn't roll as quickly in transition (I have single-adjustable Konis so I can only adjust rebound damping)
    - More rear spring rate to prevent side-to-side roll and less rear weight transfer
    - More front compression damping to prevent the violent lean in transition
    - Less front rebound damping so that the tire front tire can stay in contact with the pavement when the weight gets shifted rearward

I also haven't checked the alignment or corner balance this year, those would probably be smart things to look at. All in all very excited about performance on the new tires and looking forward to getting out again next month.
    Last edited by Laminar; 04-24-2023 at 11:56 AM.

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Nicely done. I was psyched for yout FTD, until the gut punch came...

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Love the post race run down! Thanks for posting...

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Did a little pre-race prep.

Popped out the steering rack and got the steering wheel actually centered when driving straight, no more cocked 25 degrees to the side. Decided to adjust the front coilovers in response to my skippy behavior last event. I took out some rebound damping so that the front wheel will extend more quickly vs. lifting. Then I went to add some compression damping to prevent it from rolling over so hard in transition. One side went great, the other side did not. Did some searching around and found the recommended method is just to keep wiggling the adjuster over and over again until it finally clicks loose.

Threw on the race wheels:

Checked the alignment: -4 degrees up front, -2.6 in the rear. Took it out for a quick shakedown run and got flagged down by some dude in a C7 Corvette. He told me he has a red '97 sedan that he's owned for 25 years and liked seeing another E36 out and about.

This weekend is a two day event at a new venue, yet another failing mall. I think we're in the top left somewhere. Should be fun!

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Race weekend!

This was our first time at a new venue, another mall.

Saturday's course was a bunch of Chicago boxes loosely connected by a few cones. Right off the bat the surface felt grippy and I didn't get the slippery-slidey effect I'd had in the first run of the first event on these tires, though ambient temps were about 20 degrees cooler that day which didn't help.

On my fourth run, the last of the morning heat I put down a 26.0, which had me winning my class and was actually the FTD of the day so far. I have this nasty habit of not getting faster in the afternoon, which had me worried...

I had a friend ride along in the afternoon to help coach. The first run was a 26.3, but that was just to get heat back into the car. We talked about angle of attack, where to get tight, where to add speed. The next run was a 25.786 but with a +2 - I knew I could clean that up. The next run was a 25.9 dirty. I knew there was a clean 25.7 out there for me, so we did a lot of talking and got ready for the final run. I went out and immediately plowed through a wall in the first Chicago box, throwing away the whole run. My 26.0 stood as my fastest of the day, though a few people got faster in the afternoon, leaving me at 5th in raw. FTD was 25.8, which made me grumpy about my performance (or lack thereof), knowing FTD was within my reach but I threw it away.

Day 2 was the same venue but a new course. This was more of a large S shape with a few little elements in there, though it flowed much better. Honestly it was a good test-and-tune course where you could make small repeatable changes to see the improvements clearly. I suppose I'm just looking for the upside of a sub-30 second course. I was co-driving with a friend all day, so I knew the tires and brakes would get plenty of heat in them.

My first run was a 21.1, then a 21.0, then a 21.5 +1. My co-driver was doing mid-21s as well. We watched as a C5 Z06 laid down two 20.0 runs in a row and were flabbergasted about how we could pull an entire second out of a 20 second course. On the last run of the morning I decided to stay in first gear for the first section of gates and really push the speed, my car does really well in offsets and it's narrow enough that it can slink through pretty well. We talked about braking points before the final turnaround - my cone on the 3rd run was from diving too deep before turning, so I knew what braking too late looked like. I went as hard as I could on the 4th run and landed a 20.5 +1. A half second off!

We headed out for the afternoon heat and I decided to add some air to the tires. I keep hearing about people running the new Bridgestones at 34-36 psi. I was down at 32 front and 31 rear and I was seeing wear up to the markers, but decided to go up to 34 in front and 32 in the rear to see how it felt. Right off the bat in the afternoon I did a clean 20.5. Then I did a 20.4 +1 and a 20.270 +1. For my final run I had my codriver get out of the car to see if weight loss would help me...I've had it go both ways where changing the balance of the car threw me off and made me slower, so it wasn't a guaranteed win. But in this case on my very last run I was able to do a clean 20.276, which got me 1st in class and 6th in raw. The Z06 was able to find another half second and ended up at 19.5 for FTD.

Here are the runs:

Some notes I took from the weekend - my buddy on Saturday mentioned I could use some brake improvements. I noted that I was using RBF600 but it hadn't been bled since installing the brakes in 2020, so it was overdue. When checking tire pressures I could tell by feel that the front right rotor was radiating significantly more heat than the left. I'll have to flush, bleed, and then recheck.

One of the other racers brought a tire pyrometer so we checked the tires after the first heat on Sunday. The fronts were showing 109-110-112 outside to inside, while rears were more like 99-102-106 outside to inside. I'm not sure what the ideal spread should look like, but based on that info I'm considering taking out half a degree of rear camber to get those temps more inline.

I was still dealing with the tire lift/jumping when getting on throttle coming out of a turn. I don't have a good answer for that one, as the car is fast, so I don't want to make any drastic swaybar or balance changes. It may be worth having my shocks dyno'd, though I'm afraid of what I might find out when I do that.

Next event is in June back at the drag strip, though I may skip that one in favor of working on the Mazda.

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are putting it together!

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Long time no racing. Until now! I skipped the June event - it was back at the dragstrip and between the hassle of a trailer, the haul to get there, and the lack of course variety, I decided my time was better spent at home.

I pulled the car out on Thursday and went to bleed the brakes per the note on the last event. I use the Motive pressure bleeder - I loaded it up with RBF600 and went about cracking each bleeder screw and letting it flow. With new fluid in there, I took it out for a shakedown run and did a few ABS stops to make sure all was well. I drove the car to work and back Friday just to make sure no little gremlins would pop up and ruin my day.

This weekend we were back at the same mall as the last event - I was actually popping into work super early Saturday and Sunday just to check on things before racing started. The venue is about halfway between home and work, so I went straight to the race after taking care of what I needed to at work. That meant I beat the trailer and was there early enough to actually help with course setup.

I arrived to ominous skies. Out of boredom I checked my doorbell camera and saw that it was raining at home, just a few miles to the west. Lo and behold, a few minutes later I had to close the sunroof for fear of receiving an unplanned shower.

I staked out the parking garage to stay dry and spent a few minutes fiddling with my audio amp. The new tablet apparently has a lower max volume, which ended up being pretty quiet even with the system turned all the way up. I dialed up the gain on the amp which helped tremendously.

Once the trailer arrived we got it unloaded and got to work setting up the course. There are a couple of drains and a few light poles to work around, but we made something happen. After last event's sub-20 second course, we decided to include some double gates to give us the opportunity for multiple laps and a little more time on course. The course was still wet as we were setting up, so after doing a couple of test runs in an ND Miata, we decided to use my car as kind of a...worst case scenario...for overdriving and getting out of control. Sliding around in the wet was a good time! Fortunately the sun came out and the course was totally dry by the time racing kicked off.

The fastest time in the first morning heat was a 34.6, a Z4M on Bridgestones. Knowing how the tires responded to higher pressures before, I started out at 34psi all around. My very first run I laid down a 34.5.

Back in the pits I double checked pressures and went out for my second run - a nice clean 33.8. Now let's go back and talk about how I drove my car to work Friday, then drove to work Saturday before the event, and then used my car for the testing and safety runs...I try and run a minimum of fuel for the weight savings, but keeping in mind that it likes to fuel starve under 1/4 tank. At the start of my third run I was well under 1/4 tank...uh oh. Coming out of the big sweeper going into the straightaway it bogged and waited a couple of seconds before coming back to life and taking off. My third run was a 34.4. On the fourth run the bog was worse and I got a 35.1. Annoyed with myself, I ran to the gas station across the street between heats and put in a half tank. Benefits of having an event in the middle of a city.

After both run groups had their first heats, my 33.846 was holding FTD, followed closely by a CAM-T Camaro at 33.858. The EVO in my class had a couple of dirty 33s but his fastest clean run was 34.7. Going into the second heat, I did a 33.9 dirty getting some heat back in the car, then put down a 33.752. My last two runs I coned out, but in the end my fastest run stood as FTD. Woo hoo!

I don't have the GoPro footage put together yet, more to come on that.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Next day! Sunday was the same deal - popped into work to say hi then hit up the venue right after. I helped set up the course again, this one with some really fun elements utilizing the double gates and an optional slalom where you would want to enter differently depending on whether it was your first or second time through.

Once again I was in the second run group, so I saw the fastest times so far had been a Tesla Model 3P and an E46 at 38.9. My first run was a 38.3+1, so I was feeling good already. My next run I really tried to focus on cleaning it up and got a clean 39.2, which was disappointingly slow, especially when I saw the course designer do a 37.9 in his ND Miata and the Z06 that FTD'd the May event had a 37.5. A buddy showed up to hang out and ride along with people, so he rode with me and we talked through all of the places to save time. My third run was a 38.8 clean - good improvement but not fast enough. I turned it up for my fourth run and laid down a 37.6, but apparently picked up a cone somewhere. Shoot!

Going into the afternoon heat, the Z06 was holding FTD with his 37.5. I didn't know if I could take him, but I knew for sure a clean 37 was possible. Right out of the gate I did a clean 38.4 which included the rear end sliding way out on the first corner as the tires weren't up to temp yet. My buddy and I talked a lot about braking zones and tight lines and on the next run I managed a 37.6...dirty.

At this point I was keeping it totally flat through the entire final slalom, I was hitting all of my marks, I just needed to keep it clean and smooth. We were only getting 7 runs today, so the next one was my last. I sent my tires pressures, hopped in, and headed out.

Remember yesterday? When I ran out of gas? Surely I wouldn't let that happen again, right?

Coming out of the near turnaround, it's a decreasing radius turn that ends up being more than 180 degrees. Coming out of that turn is a nice long straight second. I braked perfectly coming into that turn, hit my marks dead on, matted the gas to power out and...POP.....POP...........brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRr rr. Yep, fuel starved it. Ended up with a dirty 38.3.

So my 38.4 stood as my best time, landing me 6th in raw. If my 37.6 had been clean, I would have been 2nd behind the Z06, who hero'd his final run and did a 36.7, gapping the entire pack by more than a second. I'll do better next time.

I was able to capture out-of-car footage both days, so here they both are:

- - - Updated - - -

A few more pics:

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, RIP 528e
    Damn, FTD, that's awesome! I once had fuel starvation at like 1/2 tank so I just run with it almost full now since I can't just pop out and fill it up between runs.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Congrats! Great feeling to get FTD especially in a car you built yourself and not AWD!

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    I'd seen it starve below 1/4 tank, but I think that sweeper was so long, and these new tires might be just a bit grippier, that I'm seeing higher G forces during sustained corners. Also pretty sure I saw the low oil pressure light pop on, but I ignore that...

I put in 6 gallons on Saturday, then did 4 runs, drove home, drove to work, drove to the race, did probably 10 more runs, and it was almost empty again. By my estimation, that's about 5-6mpg

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Congratulations. That is a great achievement!

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Woot, FTD! Congrats!
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Pre-race prep. My goal was to check fluids, make sure nothing was about to fall off, rotate tires, and run it. I've been hearing a clink sound from the rear suspension that sounds like something hitting aluminum. My rear lower control arms were aluminum, so I was suspicious. I also wanted to take a tiny bit of rear camber out based on tire temps a couple events ago - they were showing warmer on the inside and cooler on the outside so I figured I could lose a bit of camber for more even contact.

I noted the usual issue - the UUC sway bar hits the axles at the top and the control arms at the bottom. I started adjusting the control arms but then noticed something amiss...

Ooo, that endlink is NOT connected. So I've basically been running with no rear swaybar for at least the past few events.

I pulled the endlink out, drilled out the sheared stud, and put a bolt in its place.

After that, I finished up with the camber adjustment, checked fluids, rotated tires, and called it good.

New venue! This one is a business center in town, with a view of the downtown skyline.

The parking lot had some speed bumps, some broken pavement, and apparently at one time there was a fence embedded in the pavement that got cut out, but they left an inch or so of metal post sticking up...no bueno.

We set up a course that managed to work around those issues and got to it.

With high humidity and temps in the upper 90s incoming, we made the call to hold it to 6 runs so we could be done before anyone passed out from heat stroke (a kind consideration to those of us without A/C).

I was in the second run group, so I saw the fastest run in the first group lay down a 34.3. I was doing tech that morning so I only had a chance for one quick course walk during the driver's meeting, but it was a simple enough course - short slalom then into a figure 8 with a couple of double gates. I went out my first run and the car was a little squirrely on cold tires, but I nailed a 33.8 right off the bat. Then on my second run I did a 33.1...I was feeling pretty good. Until someone stopped by to let me know that I'm missing the final slalom cone and both of my runs were DNFs....boooooo. The fast C5 Z06 just did a 33.3 so I knew I was in trouble if I wanted to be fast and also do the entire course. For my third run I actually followed the cones properly and did a 33.78. So at the end of the first heat I was 2nd in raw.

It's definitely lifting front tires.

The first run group went back out and no one touched that time, which left me the afternoon to make up ground on the C5. For my first run out I....got lost. I was apparently not anywhere close to focused. I fudged up the first slalom and then went the wrong way the first time around the figure 8, super off course. I focused up and went out for my 5th run. It felt like I hit most of my marks and I was on the edge of grip for the whole figure 8. The finish had a little kink and I had been lifting so as not to go sideways through the timing lights. I stayed in it as much as I could, though I had to throttle it a touch, and laid down a 33.76, beating my previous time by just a couple hundredths. Last run, all the marbles. I'm staying in it through the finish.

I stayed in it, the safety guy pooped his pants as my car pointed at each of the timing lights at some point during my finish, but I finished clean. 33.9, so that was my day. The C5 laid down three clean 33.1s and a dirty 32.9, so I finished 2nd in raw and felt good about my performance.

I need to get the footage pulled from the GoPro and put together. Next month is our last event, not sure I'll make any changes before then, I'll probably just run it.
    Last edited by Laminar; 08-22-2023 at 12:55 PM.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    :-)

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast