Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Laminar's M3 5.0 swap: Fünf-Null

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
    I'm sure ze Germans thought they had a good reason.
    Oh definitely! Could have just been "because we are ze Germans!" No more reason required haha.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    The seller claims grade 10.9, which is the same as Bimmerworld, Elite, and Apex claim. Turner, ECS, and VAC don't list grades for their studs.

Note that grade is strength, and other material properties may matter to you as well - corrosion resistance is highly dependent on material properties. I chose longer lug nuts to protect more of the thread from corrosion.

My Cars
    98 323
    the trick is to figure out what the sellers' definition of grade 10.9 is

the chinese are pretty infamous for going by old soviet guidelines with their alloys
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    RallyCross this weekend. Step one, prepare for the inevitable. I used the Harbor Freight flat-tow kit to drag my Cougar home last summer and I've been meaning to mate up the brackets to the M3 in case I need to drag it home sometime.

This place was really really sandy last year, I ended up taking the Focus because I was replacing the M3's clutch master cylinder at the time. The Focus did great, got 2nd in stock FWD and beat all of the stock Subarus.

I was hoping it would be cold and hard in the dead of winter, but a week of 60+ degree temps meant we got the full 12" of sand all over the course. I got stuck trying to park.

The backside of the course was an unhill section in 6 inches of mud. I got stuck there on three of the six runs, and on the sixth I ran wide and plowed right into the outside of the 12" deep rut. That pushed my radiator into the engine and ended up causing the water pump pulley to saw through a coolant hose.

I scrounged around on the farm we were at and found a length of copper pipe on the ground that fit well enough to get me home.

It took a while to burp the system, it was running hot for a while.

But turning the heat on finally got the rest of the air out and it cooled off.

So my electric fan is dead (junkyard Volvo fan), my water pump shaft seal is leaking (has been for a while now), my power steering rack is leaking, and the transmission has been weeping ever since I replaced the output shaft bushing. I have a ways to go before it's ready for autocross season next month.
    Last edited by Laminar; 02-20-2017 at 10:01 AM.

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    Glad you got it sorted enough to get home.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Is that just tuner studio on your phone that you use when you need to see TS data, or do you use something like that for your actual dash? I freaking love TS... Gotta get me some more of that.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Just on my phone. I grabbed a cheap Amazon Fire tablet on Black Friday that I intend to mount in the car more permanently this year.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, RIP 528e
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Is that just tuner studio on your phone that you use when you need to see TS data, or do you use something like that for your actual dash? I freaking love TS... Gotta get me some more of that.
    Yeah, that looks way nicer than my Torque app, what app is that? Sorry about your cooling system mishap, a similar thing happened to my car last year at a rally-x. You're lucky you were able to limp it home! I had to install a new radiator and fan on the spot

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by 95maxrider View Post
    Yeah, that looks way nicer than my Torque app, what app is that?
    TunerStudio, it's for Megsquirt. Not much good for you unless you're ready to modified .

Sorry about your cooling system mishap, a similar thing happened to my car last year at a rally-x. You're lucky you were able to limp it home! I had to install a new radiator and fan on the spot
    Worst case scenario, I had already loaded the tow bar and magnetic lights into my wife's car so I could call her up for a tug home, but home is 2.5 hours away so that would have been a long day. Glad I was able to make it. In the next week or so this car is going up on jackstands for a full inspection, re-install the lowering springs, Z3 steering rack, water pump replacement, new radiator, and more. I'll have to decide if I want to fix the weeping transmission now, too or if I can let that go for a while.
    Last edited by Laminar; 02-20-2017 at 02:38 PM.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    You have a T5 in there? I imagine they CAN be sealed up, but mine always made a mess. And then I'd blow up 3rd gear. Lol... But those were early ones, and you probably at least have the "World Class" version or better I imagine.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Yep, T5. Mine started weeping from the output shaft, so I replaced that bushing and seal, which meant pulling the tailshaft. Now it weeps from where the tailshaft mounts to the main case.

Mine's from an '04 V6 Mustang, so it's the strongest stock gearset minus the Cobra/T5Z.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Found a couple of pics posted:

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Under the knife. First step was to hose the engine bay and front suspension out.

Next up I had a leaky water pump shaft seal, so $26 for a new water pump. This is legitimately the first part of the 160,000 mile junkyard engine that's failed in 2 years and 5000 miles of pure abuse.

And I'm finally putting in a new radiator so that my coolant lines don't run millimeters away from spinning pulleys.

I pulled the evaporator and tossed it. When I first built the car I planned on putting AC back in it, but now that it's more of a race car than DD I'm going without AC. That took 20.4 lbs off the nose of the car.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Did I mention it was deep?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, RIP 528e
    I'm surprised you still an M front bumper on the car! I swapped mine off figuring it would get immediately ripped off.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    I'm thinking about retiring this car from RallyCross duty - the better I make it for autocross, the worse it gets for RallyCross, and I don't want to have to change everything out each season. Plus I've been through at least three of the triangular pieces that connect the bumper to the wheelwell liner, I seem to break one at each event.

Radiator brackets are roughed in.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I'll take that as confirmation of my suspicion. Rallycross sounds fun at first, but damn...

Have you considered doing a bit of recreational drifting (at an event somewhere)? I think it might have a lot of the fun of rallycross, plus more. I was a pretty devout autocrosser for some years, but the seat time is so much more at drifting events. It's a riot.

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    Oh cool, your radiator support is similar to mine.

Also, you might want to consider fabricating or purchasing a underpanel to get rid of those plastic triangle thingies you mentioned. I'm going to make my own but I've purchased this underpanel before for my old 318. It really really stiffens up the front bumper.
    https://www.motionmotorsport.net/col...underpanel-kit

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    I'll take that as confirmation of my suspicion. Rallycross sounds fun at first, but damn...

Have you considered doing a bit of recreational drifting (at an event somewhere)? I think it might have a lot of the fun of rallycross, plus more. I was a pretty devout autocrosser for some years, but the seat time is so much more at drifting events. It's a riot.
    I'd do it in a second, but I can't find anything within a few hours of me. I spoke with one of the SCCA guys and they have the ability to sanction a drifting event, but it'd be contingent on getting a facility and cars to show up. But I'd absolutely love to try drifting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ponchiz318 View Post
    Oh cool, your radiator support is similar to mine.

Also, you might want to consider fabricating or purchasing a underpanel to get rid of those plastic triangle thingies you mentioned. I'm going to make my own but I've purchased this underpanel before for my old 318. It really really stiffens up the front bumper.
    https://www.motionmotorsport.net/col...underpanel-kit
    I looked at polycarbonate sheets at Menard's this weekend and am considering making something up for cheap. No need to keep spending $17 every time I hit a cone.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    In my ideal world I'd get a '90s manual FWD something and beat on it without caring. Actually my old Ford Contour keeps popping up on Craigslist, it still has the Taurus 3.0 in it and I'm pretty sure the guy has no idea I did an LSD as well. That'd be a hoot in the dirt.

https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/6010977831.html

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I autocrossed a contour SVT (?) one time at the request of its owner so he could get an idea of what the car was capable of. That sucker was surprisingly neutral. With a quaife it would be even better (especially in the dirt)... You may be onto something there.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Progress working toward the 2017 Autocross season -

- Actual Z3 rack installed (not the fake Z3 rack sold to me by Detroit Axle on eBay that leaked after a year).

- Got the car weighed finally. Came in at 3277 with full luxury interior. I can't find stock numbers specific to an M3 sedan with luxury package, but it looks like the luxury package coupe is around 3241, so I'm close to stock. Of course, the day I went to scale the car it had snowed and so the roads were coated in brine. The car is dirrrrty.

- Got wheels and tires mounted up and started checking fitment. Rear looks really good.

- I started with a 15mm spacer up front but it looks like I don't need that much spacer.

- Front springs are swapped back to H&R after running stockers for the winter.

- Installed Garagistic brass caliper guide bushings

Still to do:

- Swap rear springs back to H&R
    - Install 1.7 roller rockers
    - Weld on Garagistic rear sway bar reinforcement kit
    - Coolant flush
    - Alignment

(if possible)

- Tablet install
    Last edited by Laminar; 03-20-2017 at 11:54 AM.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Finishing up a few projects to get ready for racing this weekend. Cleaned out the rear wheelwells.

Added the Garagistic rear sway bar reinforcement kit. One of my mounts was in the process of tearing out. I think I finally have all of the braces in place - front suspension plates, rear suspension plates, RTAB limiters, RTAB reinforcement plates, diff bushings, and now rear swaybar mounts.

Went to the car wash to get it cleaned up, alignment appointment is later today.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, RIP 528e
    Washing a rally-x car? Unacceptable! Just kidding of course, working on a dirt encrusted car is no fun...

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast