Thread: 2004 Z4 driver's side window auto downs but not up

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 2013 X5

2004 Z4 driver's side window auto downs but not up

The driver's window auto downs but not up. The 1/4 inch down and up works fine. Battery was drained and replaced. Tried reset procedures to reset window, but no change. Any ideas, different reset, new switch?

My Cars
    08 si rdstr-tripl blk
    There are more than one process I think. This is out of my 08 owners manual

Power Window Initialization
    After a power supply interruption, for instance after disconnecting the battery, the pinch protection system must be reinitialized.
    Roadster: when the convertible top has been stored in the convertible top com-partment for an extended period of time, e.g. in the winter months because the hardtop was being used, it may also be necessary to reinitialize the pinch protection system.<
    Ensure that the doors and the Roadster's convertible top are closed before initializing.
    1. Open the window completely.
    2. Press the switch down 4 times within approx. 10 seconds.
    Afterward, perform the following procedure twice for each window:
    1. Close the window completely by pulling the switch.
    2. After the window is closed, keep pulling the switch for approx. 2 seconds.
    3. Open the window completely by pressing the switch.
    LW93697

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 2013 X5
    Thanks for infor. Did not work, I think the switch will need to be replaced.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    The down/up..hold switch (2 seconds) needs to be done 4 times in a row...... On the hold the switch "up" when the window is fully closed you will hear a slight click.... Some people don't hear it is why you have to hold switch up for 2 seconds.

Then open window... Now initiate window closing with switch. Window should travel up and close.

Try that before changing switch.

There are other procedures ... Google "Z4 window initialization procedure"

Sent from my iPad using BF.com

Quote Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
    The down/up..hold switch (2 seconds) needs to be done 4 times in a row...... On the hold the switch "up" when the window is fully closed you will hear a slight click.... Some people don't hear it is why you have to hold switch up for 2 seconds. Then open window... Now initiate window closing with switch. Window should travel up and close. Try that before changing switch. There are other procedures ... Google "Z4 window initialization procedure" Sent from my iPad using BF.com
    Or, read the owner's manual. It's full of interesting info on the car.

My Cars
    Z4
    you`l know if its switch

press auto down, then pull wtich upto first position and see if it stops

id guess to make window go up u have to hold it on the auto up position

mines like it still not resolved it

My Cars
    '82 628 CSi
    I too have this issue, have scoured this forum (and others) and tried all suggested methods. Both windows auto-down and both go up when you hold down the roof close button, but driver's side will not auto-up independently. My Carly reader shows a fault code for pinch protection. It's shown in red, as a dangerous fault, because it could potentially crush your fingers (or worse). I manage to clear the fault by resetting the system, but still the driver's side will not auto-up. It's the only known fault on the car and I'd love to solve it. Please help.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Try this:
    Press the switch down, Hold down for 10 seconds after window reaches end of travel.
    Pull the switch up, Hold up for 10 seconds after window reaches end of travel.

If still not resolved, it most probably needs to be coded for that function.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    I did a google search and this was best article.....

Courtesy of a BMW tech on another forum, ...with thanks.

Initialization is performed on the power window switch of the relevant door.
    Requirements for correct initialization:
    • Initialization with engine running
    • Convertible top, doors and windows closed

Initialization comprises:
    • Erasure of initialization
    • Reinitialization

An initialization must be performed:
    • In the event of malfunctions, e.g. no one-touch control function, no opening or if available no comfort function is possible
    • After the power window drive has been replaced
    • After work is carried out on the power window mechanism
    • After a power supply interruption, e.g. disconnection of the battery or disconnection of the power supply to the door
    • After the door window glass has been removed and installed or replaced
    • After adjustment work on the door window glass
    • After adjustment work on the convertible top
    • After replacement of seals

Erasure of initialization:
    • Open door window glass fully
    • Operate power window switch in "Open" position four times within 10 seconds

This erases initialization of the power window, anti-trapping protection and toll function are inactive.
    Check whether one-touch control (toll) function is inactive, otherwise repeat procedure.

Reinitialization:
    Avoid a break between the two steps!
    • Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
    • Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
    • Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
    • Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx 2 seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '82 628 CSi
    Thanks guys. I have managed to resolve the problem. I plugged my Carly reader in, looked at the coding of the windows and sure enough the driver's side one-touch open was set to off. I swear that I already looked at that in the past and made sure it was set to on. Not sure what happened there, but anyway if someone has this problem then try the methods above to reset the system and make sure the windows are coded correctly. Cheers .

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Just as I suspected,
    Glad you were able to easily resolve,
    Carly has its usefulness in many situations, pretty user friendly.