Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a build thread thread? Let's call it my Final Chapter and my Nephews first

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Loving this build thread...Some good love towards ur 7
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    1988 535I, 1996 740iL,
    Excellent job! You are giving this e38 one hell of a good revival! Your nephew is quite lucky, and so is the e38! Can't wait to watch the progress continue

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazal740i View Post
    Loving this build thread...Some good love towards ur 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty535 View Post
    Excellent job! You are giving this e38 one hell of a good revival! Your nephew is quite lucky, and so is the e38! Can't wait to watch the progress continue
    Well thank you, thank you very much. I kinda think both my nephew and I are lucky... him because he's going to have a pretty sweet first car and me because I get to build it. It will literally be a nicer car then during the 10+ years that I had it. Stay tuned, we are just getting warmed up again now that we have parts and we are ready to start making progress again.

- - - Updated - - -

Tonight's progress:

prepped coolant manifold; polished clean, new orings lubed with silicone grease and OEM gaskets ... also, new heater hoses, new clamps, rebuilt aux heater valve

All prepped and loose fit and will button up this section of the coolant system tomorrow. Here are a couple pics for your viewing pleasure.

Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 740iL; 5/96 build. Purchased 12/04. Off the road build project 2013 - 2021. back on road 3/2021. Became daily driver (only vehicle) 6/12/2021. Still not completed. Stay tuned as the adventure continues.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    A little more progress tonight.

1. Installed the fuel line elbows that are on passenger side between engine and wheel well. To install the new hose clamps, it was necessary to remove the a/c line that runs through there. So I will need to replace the orings in that line and also the dryer. Didn't take pics, but here is picture of old fuel lines removed (this is a very common but hard to discover leak source):

SEE THUMBNAILS:

Next mounted coolant manifold to rear of engine. even "polished" top of bell housing:

Decided to pretty up the newly rebuilt aux heater pump/valve.... first coat:

Why not go big and throw around a little more paint... bmw blue:

So tomorrow finishing painting oil filter canister and aux heater valve/pump and install. change orings in oil filter canister hoses. drain coolant out of block and replace crush washers. replace orings in transmission cooling lines.

slow but sure...
    Last edited by cyclops2; 06-11-2015 at 04:15 AM.
    1997 740iL; 5/96 build. Purchased 12/04. Off the road build project 2013 - 2021. back on road 3/2021. Became daily driver (only vehicle) 6/12/2021. Still not completed. Stay tuned as the adventure continues.

My Cars
    1999 750i 1995 740i
    I dont think I've ever seen a E38 rebuild/restoration to this extent.
    Love the work your doing. Awesome.
    I hope your nephew appreciates all the hard work you've done.

Just out of curiosity. What condition where your oil filter housing mounts in and if you had to replace them where did you get the new ones?
    Last edited by kulgan; 06-11-2015 at 06:27 AM.
    95 740i 99 750i

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulgan View Post
    I dont think I've ever seen a E38 rebuild/restoration to this extent.
    Love the work your doing. Awesome.
    I hope your nephew appreciates all the hard work you've done.

Just out of curiosity. What condition where your oil filter housing mounts in and if you had to replace them where did you get the new ones?
    1. Thanks, I appreciate your comment.

2. Nephew really appreciates the work and is very excited about the car. He sees that it is getting close. He has been very patient for a project that due to a lot of "life issues" has been pretty slow going. that coupled with my OCD flaring up!

3. I purchased new canister mounts from eEuroparts.com (Febi/Bilstein) for only $1.75 each. I had replaced them before (split in half), maybe 8 years ago, so they actually are in pretty decent shape still (but I haven't looked closely at them really). For the price I figured, I just replace them. Here is direct link:

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/2995...t-11421436982/

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    How's the nephews car coming along?

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    SLOW!!! But a tiny bit of progress tonight.

Installed the rebuilt aux heater pump/valve which I repainted. Installed new heater hoses and clamps. polished the coolant manifold and used OEM gaskets and OEM orings. Looks pretty...

Recently got another parts order recently, I hope I am running out of things to order:

what is it? well oil filter, some oil (I have more), dryer, orings for a/c line I had to remove to replace gas line elbows in engine bay and a replacement metal water pump pulley to replace the defective one I had previously received. The first metal pulley I purchased had what appeared to be casting defects/voids so I returned it for this one which looks good.

A few other things I did tonight was; painted the engine oil pan ... yes BMW blue (I know I am getting carried away!). I also finished painting the oil filter canister BMW blue. I removed the braided oil lines from canister to block cleaned them up and painted them - no not blue, black this time! Will install the oil canister, lines and new orings tomorrow.

I am focusing on getting all the engine bay peripheral stuff done before starting the TCG job since it is easier to access these items and get everything done right before starting the TCG replacement. Still a lot of "little" work to do along with some cleaning and paint work and then lock down the engine. Once I get to that point and finally start the TCG replacement, I have to commit and stay on the job and not have these huge gaps where life jumps in (or I drag my feet for some reason or other).

Anyway, more updates to follow.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    A little more progress tonight, with emphasis on "little" progress. boy it is hot here in Arizona so tough working on the car. anywho...

yesterday I mentioned BMW blue; oil pan, harmonic balancer, oil filter canister.

refurbed the high presssure oil lines from canister to block; wire wheel, black paint and new orings with silicone grease.

Here is the oil filter canister looking at the low pressure outlet. When I took off the hose barb, there wasn't a crush washer but I sure thought that was one that apparently is part of the casting. see in the picture what looks like a crush washer "built in" I thought that would come off, but no. So it appears that there was no crush washer in this location. The pic on right is new one going on and teflon tape on the hose barb fitting.

Someone had asked about the rubber mounts for the canister. I seem to recall replacing these 9 years ago because they were split in half. The ones on the left are the new ones; they are smaller, but fit right and seem ok. The ones on the right are the ones I just removed; they were hard and the studs where "bent.

Ok, the last thing to mention, is that I removed the low pressure hose at the block connection (banjo bolt) to replace the crush washers there. It appears that a crush washer was missing here too. The one at the bolt head was there, but the one between the hose and block was gone. Hard to tell if it had been leaking, it must have, but that entire area had a lot of oil from many sources especially power steering lines. Anyway, cleaning things up. Struggled to get the hose back in place and the banjo bolt secured. heat finally did us in and we had to stop after no success getting the low pressure line connected. so tomorrows job...

so on the 4th; replace transmission cooling line orings, install removed a/c line with new orings, install oil filter canister and lines, replace crush washer on coolant block drains.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Nice work man, nice work

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Arizona huh? Only been there once to Yuma and it was so hot I scorched my hand on a Quonset Hut. I have no desire to return.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    A couple of big bits of news...

1. my nephew is OUT... So after a 2+ year project and a 2nd nephew it turns out that I've been building my own car! I gave it about 1 second of thought when I was told nephew was out and quickly decided that I would be happy to keep the car for myself. Shoot have done a ton of work to it and wouldn't want it "out of the family" for sure. So this baby is mine now. lots to do, but time to get on the final leg of this journey. oh and turns out Nephew #2 got in trouble with parents and they said "no car". That's good, need discipline.

2. I have acquired a very nice swamp cooler.... so now I should be able to get this project back in motion. It has been so brutal hot here in Phoenix (what's new?!). But with over 100 degree temps, and perhaps my age and level of dedication, just have been shut down in our tracks with nearly no forward movement on the build for weeks.

Here are some pics of the swamp cooler. Not quite tweaked yet, but hope to wrench this weekend and have a decent work environment.

IMG_20150715_191155740[1].jpg

IMG_20150716_240743366[1].jpg

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
    A couple of big bits of news...

1. my nephew is OUT... So after a 2+ year project and a 2nd nephew it turns out that I've been building my own car! I gave it about 1 second of thought when I was told nephew was out and quickly decided that I would be happy to keep the car for myself. Shoot have done a ton of work to it and wouldn't want it "out of the family" for sure. So this baby is mine now. lots to do, but time to get on the final leg of this journey. oh and turns out Nephew #2 got in trouble with parents and they said "no car". That's good, need discipline.

2. I have acquired a very nice swamp cooler.... so now I should be able to get this project back in motion. It has been so brutal hot here in Phoenix (what's new?!). But with over 100 degree temps, and perhaps my age and level of dedication, just have been shut down in our tracks with nearly no forward movement on the build for weeks.

Here are some pics of the swamp cooler. Not quite tweaked yet, but hope to wrench this weekend and have a decent work environment.

IMG_20150715_191155740[1].jpg

IMG_20150716_240743366[1].jpg
    I used to have one very similar, maybe a little larger. I know they work well in dry climates. My house in Albuquerque back in the 70's used one for cooling.
    The problem I had here was the moisture in the air in my garage made things rust - replaced with a ductless LG AC, 3 ton unit for my needs it is much better but not portable.

Last edited by TxDarth; 07-22-2015 at 07:15 PM.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    I used to have one very similar, maybe a little larger. I know they work well in dry climates. My house in Albuquerque back in the 70's used one for cooling.
    The problem I had here was the moisture in the air in my garage made things rust - replaced with a ductless LG AC, 3 ton unit for my needs it is much better but not portable.
    That LG unit is a beaut and the best tool for lowering temps in any location.

Swamper should be pretty decent for my situation since it is portable and in general it is quite dry here in AZ. However, right now is the monsoon season where the humidity is higher and we get some rain. A couple days ago the humidity was 40% but today it is <5%. The swamper gave us a intolerable humidity in the garage the other day of 75%, but we are still "fixing" and "tweaking" it.

Ultimately, it fit my budget of <$200 total and that is what I have into after purchase and parts (these are about $500 new). It didn't need parts actually, but we went through it and refreshed a bunch of things to make sure it'll be robust. Seems very decent, on the right kind of day... a good test this weekend since the forecast is 110 degrees!

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    That LG unit is a beaut and the best tool for lowering temps in any location.

Swamper should be pretty decent for my situation since it is portable and in general it is quite dry here in AZ. However, right now is the monsoon season where the humidity is higher and we get some rain. A couple days ago the humidity was 40% but today it is <5%. The swamper gave us a intolerable humidity in the garage the other day of 75%, but we are still "fixing" and "tweaking" it.

Ultimately, it fit my budget of <$200 total and that is what I have into after purchase and parts (these are about $500 new). It didn't need parts actually, but we went through it and refreshed a bunch of things to make sure it'll be robust. Seems very decent, on the right kind of day... a good test this weekend since the forecast is 110 degrees!
    I basically stole mine bought from Lowes - got home and discovered it had been dropped and there was slight damage to one corner. Like you said I paid about 525. for it as it recall. Went back to Lowes and complained - they did not have any more so they told me to go ahead and use they would get me another. A week later they call and said Lowes did not have any more and would not be getting any more - discontinued. The manger gave me the option return for full credit or keep this one, they would refund the original purchase and sell this one to me as damaged for 75.00. I kept it. About 15 minutes with a hammer and some Rustoleum you could not tell it ever had any damage. Shown her during the winter.....
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    I basically stole mine bought from Lowes - got home and discovered it had been dropped and there was slight damage to one corner. Like you said I paid about 525. for it as it recall. Went back to Lowes and complained - they did not have any more so they told me to go ahead and use they would get me another. A week later they call and said Lowes did not have any more and would not be getting any more - discontinued. The manger gave me the option return for full credit or keep this one, they would refund the original purchase and sell this one to me as damaged for 75.00. I kept it. About 15 minutes with a hammer and some Rustoleum you could not tell it ever had any damage. Shown her during the winter.....

Wow, sweet score and your master cool looks similar perhaps your is the 14, mine is the 12. For that matter SWEET applies to about 99.999% of the items in that picture.

Mastercool was made by Adobe Air a Phoenix company but it went out of business. It is now made by Champion out of Dennison and from what I researched it has really gone down hill based on many posts on the web. So I was searching for an Adobe model in good condition - it took a while. Should serve my needs nicely.

I need to start packing my cooler with ice and drinks. I just need more creature comforts than I used to... lol

I just hope I can get excited and get this project moving again! well I will!!

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    I have not made any progress recently. For many reasons, I have not been able to resume the build project. However, I think I am getting closer to starting again. I have felt like that off and on over the past couple months, but I am hopeful.

In the meantime, I thought I would share my photo album with you for work performed prior to joining the group here on bimmerforums. This work was performed from early 2013 to early 2014. In June of 2014 the car was moved to a different garage, where it sat until February 2015 at which time I resumed the project. It took off pretty solidly this February and I've posted the story here since. However, it has been dragging over the past couple months with only small starts here and there.

I look forward to completing the project and getting the car back on the road. It started out a project for Nephew 1 and then for Nephew 2 and now finally ends up my car build - for me. I need to just get back to it and finish. Perhaps I can meet my unofficial goal to get it on the road by September 1...

Anyway, back to that photo album I mentioned. In the link below is a random collection of pictures and videos I took before moving my project to this website when I resumed the work in February 2015. You can see there has been a lot done - the project has grown substantially from when it started! The big part remaining is the timing chain guide replacement. I have the parts, have some peripheral things to complete prior to starting into the engine. But anyway, I wanted to share the pictures from the first year (nephew 1 era) of the project.

I hope you enjoy... better get some popcorn, there are lots of pics and vids!

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...6n90SkIM16y7qM

My Cars
    01 750 Sport "Angel"
    Come on now you owe it to yourself and to the car to get it back on the road. That first cruise is going to feel amazing!! All the hard work is going to pay off and you will have quite a gem! Get you azz in gear we are pulling for you! Your so close!

Jim

Avenging Angel: 2001 750iL Sport Schwartz II Metallic, too many upgrades to list here..
    Kirsa: 2000 750iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Born on 11/99. Sold 12/21/13

The Mistress: 1997 744iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Sold 6/7/12. You will be missed Baby..

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Guys,

My build project is nearing 3 years! I have had a bunch of challenges going on during that time, still do, but need to get motivated again to return to the project. Next is the TCG replacement. I have the tools and parts. I do have apprehension because I took it apart a long time ago. It's been covered, but my first step will be to CLEAN, flush, get organized before digging in. But I have to have my head back in the game first.

Weird having to ask, but can you guys help motivate me? I need a boost. With the holidays and current obligations it would be hard to start immediately, but I almost am starting to think I need to JUST DO IT!

little help out here?!

TIA guys.

By the way, this project, after outlasting my nephews is now MY build and a car that I intend to keep (have to since spent so much work and money) - but excited about finishing and making it mine. Need to up that excitement to wrench in hand level!!

Cyclops, down in the dumps...

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Guys,

My build project is nearing 3 years! I have had a bunch of challenges going on during that time, still do, but need to get motivated again to return to the project. Next is the TCG replacement. I have the tools and parts. I do have apprehension because I took it apart a long time ago. It's been covered, but my first step will be to CLEAN, flush, get organized before digging in. But I have to have my head back in the game first.

Weird having to ask, but can you guys help motivate me? I need a boost. With the holidays and current obligations it would be hard to start immediately, but I almost am starting to think I need to JUST DO IT!

little help out here?!

TIA guys.

By the way, this project, after outlasting my nephews is now MY build and a car that I intend to keep (have to since spent so much work and money) - but excited about finishing and making it mine. Need to up that excitement to wrench in hand level!!

Cyclops, down in the dumps...
    Just do it man! By TCG's I assume you mean timing chain guides? Those are pretty easy to do, just a little time-consuming. I see you're located in Phoenix, I'm located around here too, so shoot me a PM if you need some help with your car
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    1999 750i 1995 740i
    You need to go out and sit in it for a bit and admire all your hard work, walk around it and imagine what it will be when your finished and then find one little job that needs doing. Something small that will lead you back into the project again. Once you start you wont be able to stop.
    95 740i 99 750i

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Yeah man, go for it and join some BMW meetings
    mine is waiting for parts, hopefully will start on it sometimes next week
    Last edited by NordmanMg; 12-11-2015 at 11:24 PM.
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    The hardest step is the first one- just getting started. After that it all falls into place and you'll totally get into it again. I' e found that to be true on a lot of jobs I have done, in particular the TCG's. Boy was I down in the dumps before I had to do that job, but after one day of work I started to look forward to getting out to the garage to work on it.

So i say just jump on in and have fun!
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Thanks guys keep up the encouragement, it is all helping me get started again. I can't wait to get it finished, but I want to enjoy the final push; it is a hobby/project and not my needed daily - obviously since it has been out of commission for so long! See my comments below.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Just do it man! By TCG's I assume you mean timing chain guides? Those are pretty easy to do, just a little time-consuming. I see you're located in Phoenix, I'm located around here too, so shoot me a PM if you need some help with your car
    CYCLOPS - thanks danny, I appreciate the offer. I have a mechanic friend and my car is stored at his place. Been in his garage covered, but just a week ago was moved outside (that may get me started!)

Quote Originally Posted by kulgan View Post
    You need to go out and sit in it for a bit and admire all your hard work, walk around it and imagine what it will be when your finished and then find one little job that needs doing. Something small that will lead you back into the project again. Once you start you wont be able to stop.
    CYCLOPS: Thanks kulgan and that makes sense. it has been out of sight out largely out of mind. I am going to be removing cover and renew my "bond" with the car this Monday. I'll take pics of that special moment. lol need to take time going over the car and parts just to get my head back into the game. starting small makes some sense, because realistically, next up is the TCG, but maybe working on something else first - to get the fire back is way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    Yeah man, go for it and join some BMW meetings
    mine is waiting for parts, hopefully will start on it sometimes next week

CYCLOPS: Thanks Nord. I do need to jump in. I have heard there are places some car groups go and hang out especially on weekend. I should find them. Hey dannyzabalotony do you know of any? By the way, love your workspace - now that is nice room to move around in. my work space is tight, it works, but tight.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    The hardest step is the first one- just getting started. After that it all falls into place and you'll totally get into it again. I' e found that to be true on a lot of jobs I have done, in particular the TCG's. Boy was I down in the dumps before I had to do that job, but after one day of work I started to look forward to getting out to the garage to work on it.

So i say just jump on in and have fun!

CYCLOPS: clark, thanks. I have told my mechanic friend that when we resume, I want the project to be fun/therapeutic. I remind him (which is really talking to myself) that we are building something special. no longer for someone else (nephew) by ME. I look forward to finishing and having it as my driver. I wrote a list of everything I have to do in my life (not cars) and it was 3 pages when I stopped. I told the mechanic last night that if I wait for the perfect time (when everything in life all done) I will never start the project. So need to start soon. Mechanic and I agreed to talk again Monday because we could really decide whether to start immediately or as late as 4-5 weeks from now. Either way, at least we are talking about it! Ironically, it is now half the temperature here in Phoenix it was when I was working on the car in June/July and we were dying. Now that is low - mid 50's; sorry to complain about that since I know many of you are in the snow (or soon will). can't use weather as the reason. must get at it.

THANKS ALL!

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    BMWCCA on Facebook, join it and than follow your area
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast