Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a build thread thread? Let's call it my Final Chapter and my Nephews first

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Quote Originally Posted by daniels635turbo View Post
    Wish I had an uncle like you...... Instead however he builds stuff like this!!
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_6O0mXWoAA1wBo.jpgrge
    Congrats getting her rolling! There's some nice attn to detail there.
    I'd put the face lift hid lights on though, those lights look a bit chincy.
    My car went from the two tone with a black rocker to this...
    My car is a 99 but have had an early m60 put in it.
    Love the work you are doing.
    daniel, I missed the pic of your Uncle's project...................WAY COOL! Do you hang out with him on any of his projects or does he work with you on any of yours?

Now about those headlights.. mine are stock and original for the 1997 iL. But I disassembled them years ago and sprayed the surround silver, which really lightened them up and improved the look and I added new glass lenses and clear laminate adhesive shield (I can't remember brand off top of my head). So they looked pretty fresh (in 2006). Today, they look dated and the lens glass is yellowed. I should look into the facelift HIDs but doesn't that require changing the fenders? I did purchase HID bulbs and Angel Eyes and was planning to polish the yellowed lenses to update the current headlights. Budgetarily, I probably have to "settle". Shoot the LED angel eyes and the HID weren't cheap as it is. Anyway, the headlight rehab work will be after the engine work and the car is running.

I am hoping to end up here:

I also added crystal clear corners (blinkers) off a newer model year. I will probably smoke them to match what we did on the taillights (during Nephew #1)

Importantly, thanks very much for your positive feedback about the project and my "attention to detail" doctor has a different name for it....lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 740iL; 5/96 build. Purchased 12/04. Off the road build project 2013 - 2021. back on road 3/2021. Became daily driver (only vehicle) 6/12/2021. Still not completed. Stay tuned as the adventure continues.

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    That is a picture of the same model car he's working on, a Mazda rx3 turbo. He's based out of Sydney Australia, so I only get updates by email and fb. The car he is working on is a track car with a wide body, flared arches and full race treatment.

I'm enjoying your posts, great work.
    About the lights. I can honestly say I don't know anout the fenders, though I imagine that is so. There are just so many after market crappy lights out it's difficult to tastefully update them. I went from standard halogens to the HID's. Will eventually get the Angel eyes thing done.
    Last edited by daniels635turbo; 03-28-2015 at 03:17 AM.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by 740iSport303 View Post
    Not a Vanos engine! He is M62, not M62TU.
    Yeah I should have read more carefully.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)

Timing Chain Guide Replacement Parts List - - - - QUESTIONS

NOTE: I HAVE ANSWERED THESE QUESTIONS BELOW...

Trying to put together a parts list now for my timing chain guide replacement project. I know this has been done and I am using those lists as starting points. But "those" are mostly for M62TU that I have found; my car is 5/96 build M62.

OK, as I have been putting together the list I have the following questions:

1. It appears that replacing the chains is controversial (I mean some say YES and some say NO). So a few questions about chains:

a. should I replace the chains?
    b. should I replace the cam to crank chain only?
    c. should I replace the cam to cam chains too?
    d. I have found an aftermarket chain brand IWIS and can't find anything negative about the brand. The price is about 25% less.

NOTE: I will not be replacing the oil pump chain.

2. if I replace any chains is it necessary to change any of the sprockets/gears/

3. When replacing the tensioners, there are small upper ones; should those be replaced? some people do and some don't.

a. I found an aftermarket brand for the small upper tensioner brand is INA (which is Febi). These parts too are about 35% less than OEM. I also can't find anything negative about them on the Internet.

Note: oembimmerparts.com sells these aftermarket upper tensioners and the 3 timing chains in the INA and IWIS brands.

Final concern as deciding, I need to be budget conscious and smart about what I replace. I cannot be a "replace everything" guy, but I want to build a solid reliable car that will be last well beyond 100k more miles. So if there are parts that will impact that "life goal" I want to address it now.

Thanks.

UPDATE: My Conclusions:

After reading more and thinking about the questions that I posted, I have decided as follows. These answered apply to my situation and may not be the same as someone else's needs. I am open to further input if anyone has a differing opinion. Although, I will be placing my initial order today.

a. I have decided that I will be replacing the main timing chain. I have also decided that I will replace it with an OEM chain espcially since I have found it for only $90 and I would only save $20 to get an IWIS brand chain.

b. I have decided that I will not be replacing the cam-to-cam chains AND will not be replacing the tensionsers for the cam-to-cam chains. However, I am looking into replacing the plastic sliders on these tensionsers since I have found they can be purchased separately from BMW.

c. I have also decided that I won't be replacing any timing chain gears/sprockets. Of course, I will carefully inspect everything during the project.
    Last edited by cyclops2; 03-29-2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: I answered my questions.
    1997 740iL; 5/96 build. Purchased 12/04. Off the road build project 2013 - 2021. back on road 3/2021. Became daily driver (only vehicle) 6/12/2021. Still not completed. Stay tuned as the adventure continues.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    While waiting for the engine parts I ordered for the timing chain guide replacement, I did some buffing. I finished in the dark with my work headlight on so no finished pictures, but huge improvement. Had to remove a lot of rattle can overspray.

This level work was done with rubbing compound (turtle wax) and took over 4 hours. Once the engine is completed, I will buff & wax the car for the final detailing.

Question: what is the best product for black trim (that now has rubbing compound in it). I need to put something on the tires as well to bring them back to a nice black. recommendations?

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Yesterday completed the buff work (rubbing compound) and it is a huge improvement. Will still need to do a thorough buff and wax once car together and running.

Tonight worked on interior. Had to clean 2 years of dust out. vacuumed, compressed air to blow it out of cracks and crevices and did the cleaning.

Tomorrow will condition the leather (it is dry and wants a drink).

This isn't the final detailing, just making it presentable. The last thing I will do is the final buff/wax and detail before handing it over to my nephew.

Here is a picture of how it is looking:

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport
    Nice!
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Parts for the TCG job are starting to trickle in. Received the water pump. I decided to go with the Graf brand which I found many positive comments across the internet. Also nearly 1/3rd the price of OEM/BMW. I purchased from FCP Euro who had it $65 shipped.

box a little beat up, but pump ok.

metal impeller. I am also replacing the orings with OEM.

The bad thing is it comes with a junk gasket. So I had to purchase a OEM gasket from BMW. But got a great deal off ebay for just over $5.43 shipped. I purchased it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131462485636

Many more shipments coming...

My Cars
    2000 740i Sport, 69 GTO
    I have some New coolant hoses left over from my TCG. I can send either part numbers or pictures when I get home tomorrow. Interested?
    1969 GTO Warwick Blue/Parchment
    2000 740i Sport 6 speed

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Quote Originally Posted by HDIDDY View Post
    I have some New coolant hoses left over from my TCG. I can send either part numbers or pictures when I get home tomorrow. Interested?
    Thank you for the offer Hdiddy! I already have all the radiator hoses and heater hoses. I've even ordered a aux pump/valve rebuild kit. got a thermostat coming.

I do wonder about the fan and fan clutch. The fan is about 5 years old (don't know mfg) and fan clutch, well I don't recall replacing it ever. Fan clutch works, but I am worried it could lock up and let loose. budget budget budget.....

again, thanks for your offer though.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    I just ordered this:

http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Cooling...productDetails

Not original equipment but must be as good as the BMW ones that notoriously lock up and grenade the fan into the hood.

I would have reused the old one if it wasn't seized up. Been driving for three months with no fan at all. Figured better not press my luck into warmer weather, although E39 guys delete them without issue. If you reuse the old one just keep the fan removal tools in the trunk in the event of a whooshing emergency.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    I just ordered this:

Not original equipment but must be as good as the BMW ones that notoriously lock up and grenade the fan into the hood.

I would have reused the old one if it wasn't seized up. Been driving for three months with no fan at all. Figured better not press my luck into warmer weather, although E39 guys delete them without issue. If you reuse the old one just keep the fan removal tools in the trunk in the event of a whooshing emergency.

clark, that one on amazon is very tempting. can anyone vouch for the hamman brand? I would buy this because it will work for my budget compared to OEM. However, this is no part to mess with. There are many parts that although the OEM is junk, the aftermarket are often even worse junk.

So can anyone vouch for an aftermarket fan clutch.........and fan for that matter. I really should replace both.

Now regarding no fan, I drove my 740iL from MI to AZ without a fan (in January) and then drove for a few months before getting a replacement (that was 5 years ago). I never had an overheat problem either on the trip or while driving in phoenix stop and go traffic. the electric fan would run as it should of course. I would love to run without a fan, but haven't heard of anyone trying that long term on an e38.

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Car is looking great, that's one spoiled nephew. I suspect he will be around for oil changes. Have a question though, will you be like the Saab mechanic character on Seinfeld?

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Car is looking great, that's one spoiled nephew. I suspect he will be around for oil changes. Have a question though, will you be like the Saab mechanic character on Seinfeld?

Thanks for the kind words daniel. It's getting there. Now about my nephew, he isn't spoiled....YET, plus I'm going for the "favorite uncle" award...lol

Now regarding Tony............I am already there! hahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahaa.. ...

For behavioral reference:

https://youtu.be/Ddv4SBNE8qM

- - - Updated - - -

So this piece was laying in my box of parts. Anyone know what it is? It is a triangular piece of foam. Probably a backing on a plastic interior panel?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    I just ordered this:

I looked into this fan clutch and contacted an ebay seller of the Hamman fan clutch and they informed me that it is manufactured in China. I think I would shy away from this one. Notice the trick they play using Hamman to be confused with Hamann (the performance company) - - tsk tsk tsk..

It looks like the OEM fan clutch from BMW is about $150.
    Last edited by cyclops2; 04-16-2015 at 05:43 AM.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)

smoked................lights that is

put a smoke film on taillights at start of "Nephew 1" project and the boys liked it, so decided to go with smoked corners and side markers (as made, not film).

They arrived today!

Here an older reference shot of the film applied to a tailligiht:

I will mount these tonight and post installed pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, parts for TCG replacement will arrive next week. What special tools will I need for this job? This is a non-vanos engine.

Then what is best source? Anyone loaning or renting them out on this forum? Or place to rent them?

TIA
    Last edited by cyclops2; 04-18-2015 at 04:55 AM.

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Suppose they go with the wheels..... Not to my liking, but hey he's a youngan!
    The car is so clean! Have some more pics of the completed engine bay?

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
    put a smoke film on taillights at start of "Nephew 1" project and the boys liked it, so decided to go with smoked corners and side markers (as made, not film).

They arrived today!

Nice. Do you mind if I asked where you got your smoked corners from? I've got some on mine, but I just got a cheap pair of second hand DEPO clear's and sprayed some Nite Shades smoke spray on them... they look almost blue on some angles, so I'd like to find some decently priced 'naturally' smoked corners if possible. eBay sellers seem to want OEM-like $$ for them though, ridiculous!!

Definitely wouldn't smoke the whole tail light, just the clear bit on top!

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
    Nice. Do you mind if I asked where you got your smoked corners from? I've got some on mine, but I just got a cheap pair of second hand DEPO clear's and sprayed some Nite Shades smoke spray on them... they look almost blue on some angles, so I'd like to find some decently priced 'naturally' smoked corners if possible. eBay sellers seem to want OEM-like $$ for them though, ridiculous!!

Definitely wouldn't smoke the whole tail light, just the clear bit on top!
    The front corners and the side markers are DEPO smoked. Each was about $40 per pair so about $80 total. I got them off ebay from different sellers who seem like maybe the same seller since they were both in same city in CA. Here are links:

corners $40/pair:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351371091456...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

side markers $36/pair:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311329040749...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I am not too sure about the taillights at the moment. We will see. Nephew #1, like this look solid smoke using the film. I would probably buy new taillights already smoked and better matching the corners and side makers. It will end up being a Nephew #2 project in the future. It will be interesting to see how they look. I was going to install them, but decided to hold off until after final waxing and detail work.

Will be pulling the headlights to rehab them too. Not smoke, but spray black the interior bezel.

- - - Updated - - -

Suppose they go with the wheels..... Not to my liking, but hey he's a youngan!
    The car is so clean! Have some more pics of the completed engine bay?
    Thanks. The engine bay is all torn apart preparing for the TCG job. But we have started degreasing the mess.

- - - Updated - - -

Going to replace the fan clutch as a preventative measure. I don't recall it being replaced since I've had it the past 10 years. I looked at it when removed for the TCG job and the info on the back makes me think that it is original from 1996 (5/96 build).

Did Behr provide the factor originals? I thought they did. Does the D96 on label mean 1996? If so, lucky never failed. Regardless it is being replaced.

Best OEM (from BMW) price I can find is about $150. The best price for Behr not through BMW is $100 from Autohausaz.com.

Anyone know of a better deal? I don't want to take a risk with this part and buy a no-name or Chinese unit.

Thanks.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)

Jesus bolt has risen.... well maybe not that dramatic, but removed anyway!

For now, here is a video of the crank bolt removal tonight. My mechanic fabricated a holding tool and one heck-of-a breaker/cheater bar.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByV...ew?usp=sharing

more of the story later.

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    At first glance I thought your homemade tool was resting on the upper oil pan. A big NO. NO. was glad to see it resting on the jack stand later in the video. Good job.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Nice. You totally expect that bolt to SNAP when it breaks free, but it's a nice gradual loosening. I swear that thing is the biggest fear of the whole dang job and it's totally unfounded. Well that and turning the key when it's all done. Anyway, the right tools are all you need.

Engine looks good cleaned up!

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Santa came....

Lucky it was all there and all in good condition:

box was open! poorly taped on both sides. I went through invoice to confirm all there.

In a box way too big and nothing wrapped. Yes, those are TCG just banging around in there. I inspected all parts with flashlight and magnifying glass.

That's a $750 order + $40 shipping from http://bmw-oem-parts.com

Price was best I could find and I searched hard. But...

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
    Anyone know of a better deal? I don't want to take a risk with this part and buy a no-name or Chinese unit.

Thanks.
    FCP Euro does have a $50 option from CoolXpert, though honestly I wouldn't personally try it. The BEHR and Meyle parts are both $100ish and I'd just go with the BEHR model. FCP has their lifetime warranty of course, which is what appeals to me most - they're very willing to accept any returns so long as it wasn't a failure of your own causing. Free shipping too;

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products?keywords=11527502804

Keen to see how those smoked corners look installed!

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
    FCP Euro does have a $50 option from CoolXpert, though honestly I wouldn't personally try it. The BEHR and Meyle parts are both $100ish and I'd just go with the BEHR model. FCP has their lifetime warranty of course, which is what appeals to me most - they're very willing to accept any returns so long as it wasn't a failure of your own causing. Free shipping too;

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products?keywords=11527502804

Keen to see how those smoked corners look installed!

yeah, have decided that Behr is the way to go. Best price I've found is $94.50 free shipping at

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/3009...h-11527502804/

$13 less than fceuro. not much, but it adds up when you are purchasing a 100 things like I've been. On the other hand that FCEuro guarantee is unheard of.

Does anyone know by looking at pic of my current/old fan clutch; is it 1996?

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    Personally and for peace of mind I'd go with the FCP version for the extra $13 - I've done a few warranty returns on old items and they've covered everything no worries. One was possibly even my fault of failure but they didn't really care and just replaced it anyway. $13 for excellent customer service over the life of your products is hard to beat - I pretty much order EVERYTHING through FCP, even if it's a bit more expensive - I know the service I'm getting. I could give you a loyalty code to get a discount on your order, however the lowest code available gives $5 off for $149+ spent, or $10 off for $199+ spent... They do reward their regular customers

Also yes, that date code is April 1996 (D = April alphabetically).

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast