Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: How about a build thread thread? Let's call it my Final Chapter and my Nephews first

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    YIKES, my original post "blew up" and lost formatting. Here it is below reworked:

Time to increase this vehicles wet weight...

fuel
    oil
    coolant
    power steering
    brake fluid
    hey even windshield washer fluid

It has been sitting for 3.5 years... it is bone dry. now time to add fluids in final steps to starting.

FUEL: I added a few gallons of premium a month ago. Vehicle was bone dry. plan on priming pump, lines and injectors prior to trying first start. I am concerned about 3rd gen Bosch injectors I have installed, I have heard that they can leak since they don't install/lock into the fuel rail like OEM. Anyway, after this we'll know fuel system working. I plan on replacing the fuel pump and filter after a few thousand miles.

OIL: Used assembly lube on cam lobes, timing chains, timing chain tensioner. added motor oil to cylinders before installing spark plugs. Plan on testing filter reservoir check valve by adding oil there to see if it bleeds back to engine pan. Not positive how to test this would appreciate comments if anyone has any I think without filter it bleeds back to pan, with filter it activates check valve preventing backflow - right?). Plan on turning over engine with engine start disabled to prime oil into all areas of engine.

Update: tested check valve in oil filter reservoir - check ok. added 1/2 to reservoir with new filter AND added 4 quarts to engine. No sign of leaks... so far........Need to add 3 more quarts.

COOLANT: Using Zerex and Distilled water, mixed at 50 - 50. 1 gallon added so far and did pressure test (repaired leak found on rear coolant manifold). Plan on adding more coolant and repeating the pressure test before attempting to start. Not anticipating any problems here.

UPDATE: replaced radiator drain plug, used new oring and teflon tape on brass bleeder screw (which I buffed!). Added 1 gallon so far. No sign of any leaks.

POWER STEERING (ATF): Using Redline D4 full Syth - All hoses and tank replaced so need to prime/bleed system before attempting to start. Understand procedure is to fill tank and slowly turn wheel lock to lock and keep adding oil as needed. Then performing bleed once engine running.

UPDATE: added 1/2 quart. no sign of leak. need to add/bleed system

BRAKE FLUID: calipers rebuilt, hoses replaced, lines bled. Since no computer used to activate the ABS solenoid will take car to BMW indy after driving to have them properly bleed the brakes. I used the brakes when towing the car a couple miles a year ago; so I know they work in general.

windshield washer fluid: well the tank was replaced, all lines inside hood replaced, spray nozzles cleaned. The hose is disconnected at the hood/hinge area needs to be reconnected. Will fill this and watch for leaking. Will operate sprayer to make sure all working fine. I don't anticipate any problems here.

UPDATE: filled. no sign of leaks. will test once running.

Trans/Diff - no work done in these areas over the past 3.5 years. No oil lost. However, both are due for changing. Will change at 3,000 mile mark along with engine oil and fuel pump and filter replacement.

Basic plan will be to perform this work on Monday 10/17 as well as go over a final check of everything before attempting the start. We will film the start attempt which will likely be 10/18. The car will be started on jack stands. once started and we confirm the basics are solid (no horrible noise or leaks and running smooth), we'll continue with coolant and power steering bleed. Also, since on jack stands, we'll run it through the gears to make sure trans working properly and check brakes. We'll have Danny's laptop with DIS hooked up look for any fault codes as well.

Typing this helps my planning - so thanks for your patience. GETTING CLOSE FOLKS!!
    Last edited by cyclops2; 10-15-2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: updated fluid status
    1997 740iL; 5/96 build. Purchased 12/04. Off the road build project 2013 - 2021. back on road 3/2021. Became daily driver (only vehicle) 6/12/2021. Still not completed. Stay tuned as the adventure continues.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    To properly bleed the brake system you gonna need a lap top with BMW diagnostics,
    you need to be able to turn on-n-of ABS pump to make the fluid run through
    on the engine - fill up and spin starter for 10-15 seconds, it will build up a oil pressure
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    To properly bleed the brake system you gonna need a lap top with BMW diagnostics,
    on the engine - fill up and spin starter for 10-15 seconds, it will build up a oil pressure
    Jist did this procedure last night on an X5 using DIS...

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Jist did this procedure last night on an X5 using DIS...

Thanks guys. we will have Danny's laptop with DIS so we may consider the bleed. If not, the indy can do it, while doing a few other things that I need them to handle.

also, notice that I reformatted my original post on our plan since somehow the formatting was lost. anyway, now easier to read!
    1997 740iL; 5/96 build. Purchased 12/04. Off the road build project 2013 - 2021. back on road 3/2021. Became daily driver (only vehicle) 6/12/2021. Still not completed. Stay tuned as the adventure continues.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    A little more progress.... bit-by-bit...

20161015_013227.jpg

20161015_015928.jpg

My Cars
    e46 m3 6psd TIAG w/Imola
    Any updates?? Hope you didn't lose momentum...

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I'll let Dan (cyclops2) chime in, but the reason this has been on hold for a bit is because Dan's VW Rabbit project has been one heck of a project. A mechanic got thrown in prison, a shop got evicted, and more! It's just like a whole series of ridiculousness.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    I'll let Dan (cyclops2) chime in, but the reason this has been on hold for a bit is because Dan's VW Rabbit project has been one heck of a project. A mechanic got thrown in prison, a shop got evicted, and more! It's just like a whole series of ridiculousness.
    What?! Sucks, but eventually this should make for a heck of a thread update.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    guys, I am alive, the BMW project isn't very alive at the moment. Danny and I were making breakneck progress working to beat an eviction notice I was given for my little storage unit/workshop. Two things happened when I was given an eviction notice; 1. Danny and I started fast tracking the 740iL build and 2. I moved my 1980 VW Rabbit build project to a body shop to resume that project.

The general thinking was that I'd get the 740iL on the road (not completed by drivable) and have the Rabbit be my primary project focus. Then I would take what was left in my storage unit/workshop and move to a new storage unit somewhere just as storage.

Thankfully, I was able to convince the storage unit place to rescind my eviction and let me keep my workshop. This came the day before I had to move out. This was great news, Danny and I were fried and running out of time. But I still had to remove stuff from a 2nd unit I had and put it in a different location - so I was busy.

Danny and I continued to work on the 740iL but at a MUCH reduced rate. We got that project to where I had to do some things on my own to get it ready to START!! - yes, we are that close! But the Rabbit project was in motion and boy oh boy... that has been something else and STILL IS!!

Before I get to the Rabbit story, I want to make a couple more comments:

1. Eviction from my workshop. I have stated this in this build thread before, but I was being evicted because I had connected to the electricity in the storage unit and did not have an agreement to do so. I was powering a stereo and fan one night when the property manager walked in. He was upset about it and said he would discuss eviction with the owner. So that is why they evicted, I think the main reason they agreed to give me another chance is because I offered to pay 12 months rent up front. So now things are ok at my little workshop, except that I have to use a generator for my power, but that is working out pretty decently actually.

2. The items left on the 740iL before STARTING IT are; install seats, install throttle cable, install accelerator pedal assembly, install coils (1 bank), connect electrical boxes, connect vacuum lines...............there may be a few other things..........BUT NOT MUCH!! There are still a lot of things to do after it is running, but not many left to get it running and on the road.

Here is a picture of the 740il in the shop from 11 days ago... a ghost town with no progress for weeks! months actually...

20161101_214013 (1).jpg

I have to go for a bit, so will come back and post the VW Rabbit project story.

Dan (Cyclops2)

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    WARNING: NOVELETTE FOLLOWS!

Oh boy oh boy, the VW rabbit build story... to tell it, is to paint myself.......chump!

Here is a picture of how it now sits relegated to a spot in the corner with stuff piled around it.

20161114_191224.jpg

There is still hope, but it is fading. This story starts 2 years ago! I was having some interior work done and was referred to a low dollar painter. I have had problems with the "painter" since following him around shop to shop as "something" would happen and he'd have to move on. With each step/shop my car would get "wrecked" farther and my wallet lightened.

My rabbit project had been on ice for 9 months just sitting in my storage unit shop. But when I was being evicted from my shop (which I've reversed) I decided to reconnect with my "Painter" at his "new" location. So I hauled the car there; that was 2 months ago.

At this shop they had people that had full range of skills and I was approached by a "mechanic" that was interested. He sounded knowledgeable and aggressive and promised to get on it and make fast progress. His main focus was to pull the engine so the engine bay could be painted. Additionally, he was going to remove all mechanicals (suspension, brakes, sub-assemblies, fuel tank) - everything. Well that didn't go as planned! He hustled me out of money, stole my radiator to sell (under the guise of taking it to have repaired; which I gave him money to have done). He also cut my axles in half so he could pull the engine saying all the bolts were stripped... WHAT!!!!! Then he was arrested and I have not seen him since! WOW!!.......

In the meantime, no body work had been done, but some further disassembly had been done by painter. But essentially very little positive progress. During this time I had met another "mechanic" at this shop who was better qualified and I could tell he had some experience with VW. So I paid him to get involved and become the project lead. He jumped in, worked a couple hours, and I never saw him again. He was actually living on site in apartments there, but he is gone........WOW!...

Next..........I know you are thinking, how can there be more. I come in to see how things are going and I discover that the shop business owner hadn't been paying the building owner the rent and the entire place was getting shut down. WHAT!!! At this point, I am into painter with more money and have paid two mechanics to work on the project, had a radiator stolen and my axles destroyed. ok so what next..

I begin preparing my vehicle to remove it. By now the front suspension is gone and the rear struts removed. Here is picture at that time:

20161003_202709.jpg

I worked with the guys to build this rotisserie and where just about finished when we had to take it apart and prepare to vacate.

20161020_004410.jpg

So I get it prepared to move out. I had removed all parts no longer needed for the project and have everything else organized and ready to go. Here is picture packed up and ready: You can see that I've placed all body panels inside the vehicle and placed the front end on dollies and put the rear struts back on and the wheels. The rotisserie is now sitting off to the side.

20161022_004914.jpg

So that must be the end of the saga right? nope... it appears there is a last minute save and some shop guys worked with the building owner to rent the building and keep the shop going. Great news, I don't have to move after all. I talk to several guys and everything looks "ok", but I'll still call it dicey. My painter tells me that he is part of the deal to remain and that he (painter) is paying rent directly to the building owner. He showed me how he had a particular section of the shop and pointed out his 3-4 projects. He needed some money to pay the rent in a few days, but assured me everything was OK, he'd get on the project with a plan to get it painted by end of November. ... I paid...

well sounds like things have turned around.................nope...

So next time I go to the shop, I walk in and head toward where my car had been.... "hold up" I am told. By now I know every one at the shop and they are used to seeing me and talking. They made some comments that made me nervous, so I stuck my head around the corner and BAM.. my car was gone. WHAT??!!! Thankfully, not in the street. By now, many of the "old gang" had been evicted and the guys who had arranged to continue renting the shop where cleaning house and reorganizing. Guess what?.............my painter was one of the guys getting booted out, not part of the group staying! so he had lied to me. WHAT??!! NOW WHAT?

Now I am speaking to one of the guys who took over renting the shop and he explains what happened and that my painter is OUT. However, he has given him special permission to work on my car and one other project that he had in process because he knows we had been jerked around. But the painter cannot take on any other jobs (oh and both of these jobs had been paid in advance) so it means this painter couldn't make any more money from these projects or from this shop. Much of this I continue to learn, late.. not in advance.. So anyway, I meet with the painter and a NEW mechanic on the project. The painter assures me that the project will proceed and he'll get 'er done. I said, i doubt I will ever see him again.

More on the "new" mechanic in a bit...

I went to the shop last night to check progress (or lack of) and there hadn't been any progress, my car is still stuffed in a corner with stuff piled all around. But it gets worse...............WHAT??!! I ask if my painter is around or has been around........NOPE, I am told. And then I learn that he was driving the other customer's car and the hood flew up breaking the windshield and destroying the hood. I also learn that several things had been stolen off the car (namely stereo). Finally, this is the last straw and the shop evicts him and says he can no longer be on the shop grounds. WOW! blessing in disguise perhaps. so a 2 year journey with this guy ends. I have a lot of money into this from paying him directly AND cost of damages from being affiliated with him. BUT NOW WHAT??!!

Well the new guy in charge of the shop has said I can keep the car there and have it worked on or even work on it myself. He is offering this to me because he knows what I have gone through. Keep in mind, that my long story here, doesn't include the 18 months prior, like when I found it on the street outside one of the shops the painter was at with a police tow sticker on it; so I had to tow it away on Christmas Eve last year... crazy times.. remember, I started by saying this story will make me look like a chump...

So I have to decide what I'll do with the rabbit. I hope to meet with the new mechanic tonight. He is my hope of saving the project. He has all the skills to cover the entire project, but he has a full time job so the rabbit project will take quite a bit of time as a moonlight. That is ok with me since I'm not in a rush. Perhaps my only reason to rush is to end this nightmare and have my car back on the road. Ironically, I couldn't afford to spend what it would have cost to have this work done and I found a low cost option - it came with high cost consequences. Even now, I can't afford to just pull it out and pay the big money to have this project completed. I lean toward just making it my project; going to the shop and working on it myself - I would like that really and they will let me. If the "mechanic" is my partner, we can do this. The mechanic has signed on to do engine swap, dash swap, steering column swap, suspension build, brakes, etc.. all mechanical systems.

Note: I have a guy that has been involved with my interior work for over 2 years - that is a story by itself! He is still involved with this project and has some of my interior at his home shop.... I better make contact, it has been a very long time... oh boy...

Note that I said engine swap.. during this project I bought a Jetta to use the 2.0L gas engine to replace the 1.5L diesel that came factory. The mechanic has had the car to do a tuneup to get it through emissions (which it failed). Once that is completed, hopefully this week, then that car will just sit until rabbit is ready (painted) and then Jetta will get stripped. Has the Jetta had a happy role in this project.. nope. The battery and stereo were stolen! WHAT??!! Crazy..

I meet with the mechanic soon, hopefully tonight, to give him some parts to get it ready for the next emissions test later this week. I think it is time to make this project mine and be hands on, it will be fun and the shop itself is a very good work space, much better than my storage unit shop with wouldn't be conducive to a project like this. So I figure my options are: 1. leave it where it is and take over the project. 2. scrap the project and sell everything. 3. move everything to my storage unit shop, put a cover on it and forget about it until some other day.... I lean toward #1.

But regardless, this story and status of the rabbit project at the moment, makes it very clear for me..........I MUST RETURN TO THE 740iL project. I must focus on it again, I am close to getting it on the road and then with stops at a few shops can have it completed.

So there you go! Crazy right?! There are other personal reasons why the BMW and VW projects have stalled multiple times over the 3+ years, my life has been upside down on many fronts and trying to manage massive build projects have been difficult; yet often therapeutic.

So Danny, ready to bring the 740iL project to the finish line? Let's get 'er done!

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
    WARNING: NOVELETTE FOLLOWS!

Oh boy oh boy, the VW rabbit build story... to tell it, is to paint myself.......chump!

Here is a picture of how it now sits relegated to a spot in the corner with stuff piled around it.

20161114_191224.jpgNote that I said engine swap.. during this project I bought a Jetta to use the 2.0L gas engine to replace the 1.5L diesel that came factory.

The lied to you, thats a buick 455 I think :P
    Cars gonna screw!

Hang in there it'll get better, it has to.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    How in the world can it be?.... 10 weeks since my last update AND worse, no activity on my 740iL project.

I continue to struggle with my VW Rabbit build project. Since the last post I have dumped mechanic #4, had to essentially repo the donor car (Jetta) that mechanic had commandeered into his daily driver. So now, I am working along and out of money to hire any help. I have a good relationship with the shop to keep my build project there and do the work myself. They have "cleaned house" and things are running much more smoothly and the "den of thieves" have been booted.

But because my personal life doesn't allow me to spend a lot of time on the Rabbit build it is moving very slowly and pushing back the 740il build/completion. I am getting closer to where I can put the rabbit on hold and have almost completed the disassembly of the rabbit. So probably one more week to complete the strip, get organized, setup my shop for the next phase (bodywork and paint prep).... but before proceeding with bodywork, I will return to my 740iL to get it running and on the road.

So stay tuned...new goal: get my 740iL on the road by end of the February!

Here are a few pictures of my Rabbit build project ... just for kicks...

20170121_210824.jpg

20170121_210843.jpg20170121_210856.jpg

Here is a picture which gives a sense of my workspace and includes my Jetta donor car which I'll be using for engine, dash, steering column, wiring harness, brake and suspension component swap.

20170107_213415.jpg

My Cars
    2001 740iL /1991 E32
    This story is reminding me of Daniel and what he went through. You must really love that Rabbit. I really hope it all works out for you.
    Last edited by haynes740; 09-22-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    2001 740iL Guides,chains,vanos done. Full steptronic retrofit,3:15 diff. DUDMD tune. Sport seat retrofit. Porn lights
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Nitto ZR 285/40/18 rear 245/45/18 fr. UUC springs front. Porn lights. Sport wheel

1991 735iL UUC springs front only Style 42 wheels

My Cars
    1986 e24 635csi, 1999 Saab 93, 1992 Saab 9000 turb
    Quote Originally Posted by haynes740 View Post
    This story is reminding me of Daniel and what he went through. You must really love that Rabbit. I rally hope it all works out for you.
    I have to agree, stick on it! Like Winston Churchill said during second world war, never, never, never, never give up.
    No one will have the passion or share the joy of completing something that has taken so much time and sweat from you. This is where creativity, passion and tenacity live!!!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    HELLO HELLO HELLOOOOOOO.....

I am still alive. Basically no progress on the BMW for a year. WHAT??!!!!

But, I am getting back to it again. So first things..........clear out shop which has collected a pile of junk. Get organized and get back at it.

Stay tuned!!

Here is starting point: You'll notice the car is in same spot it was when last progress made.

20170912_212655.jpg

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Well at least you don't have to worry about your tires flat-spotting since the 740il was on jack stands this whole time
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    WHY WHY WHY..... you are very likely asking...

WHY is this BMW build YEARs long and for that matter the Rabbit build also years long. You may also be asking WHY am I starting up again, what has prompted me into action...

Well here is a little more about my story:

Well first how could this BMW build be 4.5 years old? That's right, 4.5 years now. Sure, I've been pretty thorough and yeah, it started out a build with my nephews. Well this project has been an exceptional challenge because I take care of my disabled and home-bound wife. So over the years her health has declined and the time I need to spend with her has increased. The build projects have been therapy for me, a distraction sometimes, but very often I have been unable to spend any time on either. Also, do to budget constraints (or unstable finances), the project has stumbled at times as I have managed to get involved with crooked mechanics or painters.

But still, but by bit, they have moved forward.

So WHY now? why suddenly after a year (11 months on BMW and 8 months on Rabbit) am I jumping and posting my RESTART? Well as these build stories have often had a sudden crisis, one arises again.................the shop where the Rabbit has been the past year has lost their lease. yep! So now, I need to retrieve the car(s) (Rabbit and donor Jetta) and parts and put them ................yep!, where the BMW is now located.

So, back under the hot seat..............HELLO DANNY!!............I'll have to get the BMW finished in the next couple weeks so I can empty out my storage unit shop and put the Rabbit and Jetta there. And so it begins, I am now cleaning up and organizing my shop and will get started on BMW again next week.

So stay tuned, I might actually get my 740iL running at long last. Danny has been a great help and moved me forward greatly 1 year ago when he completed the TCG and a huge list of work getting the engine back together again. He will be helping me out again in the final push.

How much did I get done with the Rabbit...............well see below.............I had just finished fully stripping it down. My next step with it was to begin body work then paint and then begin the build. So that will go on hold, well stay on hold, I have been unable to touch it for at least the past 8 months.

My wife only knows I am "tinkering" with these cars, she has no idea of the magnitude... I don't have the heart to add that burden (lol) to her already poor health. It has been a long road...............but at long last seems I am backed into the final corner which will make me burn the midnight hours to get it running.

So stay tuned............get some popcorn..............enjoy the show.

Cyclops (Dan)

20170914_162936.jpg20170914_162921.jpg20170914_162947.jpg

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    We don't want stories, we need some action man LOL
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    We don't want stories, we need some action man LOL

I know I know... lol

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    OK, gang, proof of movement....

I toughed 100 degrees and picked a few little goodies from a junk yard this morning. $24 gets me...

20170917_102212.jpg

I was surprised to find a under-dash panel that wasn't broken, they are rare. The coil boot will allow me to complete/assemble the electrical.

Tonight I am moving more "junk" out of my storage unit shop. Tuesday I am moving more VW Rabbit "items" from the body shop to my storage unit shop. Wednesday seems like a good night to make some progress on the BMW...............OK, sounds good! I'll finish the electrical Wednesday night. I like a plan....

not that I execute, but I do like them....lol

Here is latest pic of workshop...........honest, I have made a little progress there (but too much stuff!).. haha:

20170916_234252.jpg

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    I have said it before.............step by step, slowly moving forward...

Last night cleaned up the coils, boots and electrical box and installed. Now coils complete.

Finished this detailing and install last night

20170919_230120.jpg

The bank below I had finished a year ago, just before project went on ice ...again. In this picture you can also see the bracket for the throttle cables and ICV. I replaced it last night with a junkyard purchase; after repainting it BMW blue of course. The original was bent during early stage of disassembly and I couldn't get it back in the right shape to securely hold the ICV. yeah, I know........anal...

20170919_230131.jpg

Here is engine bay. Note wiring, that will be next job; routing and securing them.

20170919_230108.jpg

After the wiring is completed I need to install new throttle cable and accelerator pedal and rebuilt pedal assembly with new bushings etc. stay tuned.

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Looks Sweet!
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    Nice looking engine. Non tu m62? Or m60?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljames View Post
    Nice looking engine. Non tu m62? Or m60?

Mine, in a 99 e38.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    finished the wiring harness. Next is throttle cables and accelerator pedal install.

20170922_021412.jpg

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast