Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a build thread thread? Let's call it my Final Chapter and my Nephews first

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)

How about a build thread thread? Let's call it my Final Chapter and my Nephews first

So an introduction.

I have 1997 740iL which has been my passion and hobby for over 10 years. I have done many things to it over the years; some maintenance, some repairs, some mods and have enjoyed the ride. About 2 years+ ago, I decided that it was time for a change and at the same time my nephew, who was 18, was really interested in the car. We put together a deal and it consisted of making it a project where we'd work together and I could teach him a little about the car and mechanics. Things started out strong, next thing you know the car was on blocks and stripped, but then.........my life got in the way and I wasn't able to work on the vehicle any more. As the project collected dust, my nephew had no choice but to move on.

In the meantime, my life has calmed down a bit making it possible to resume the project. Great timing, my younger Nephew, who is now 17 wants the car. So it's GO TIME!

Unfortunately, he is working and attending high school so he won't be available to join me on the build. I started the project last week and have been keeping him posted with a text message now and then. I thought this website, particularly this forum would be an excellent way to document the project and share it with him and others.

What do you guys say?

I figured, I'd start with some historical photos of when I bought it. Mostly some pictures of things done while working with "first" Nephew. And then get started laying out the project now, which I call my final chapter and my Nephew's first. Once I direct him to this website, hopefully he will join us and learn from your comments and watch the car's virtual progress.

I estimate there is a month of work ahead which will be followed by several weeks at shops getting all the finishing touches wrapped up. It is great to be back on board. I am working on it with my mechanic where the car has been essentially in storage the past 7 months.

So let's get going. I took this car apart a long time ago. I will need your help. Lots of mods too so would like your feedback as well.

Looking forward to joining Bimmerforums. Thanks in advance.

Here is a picture when I bought it in late 2004:

and here is a picture as it sits in my mechanics home garage:

Last edited by cyclops2; 06-03-2015 at 02:53 AM.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Welcome to the forum. As a new member you will have some restrictions on posting pictures and links. They will need to be approved until you get your post count up a bit.

My Cars
    01 750 Sport "Angel"
    Welcome here brother. Nice to see you here also. Can't wait to see the car progress.

Avenging Angel: 2001 750iL Sport Schwartz II Metallic, too many upgrades to list here..
    Kirsa: 2000 750iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Born on 11/99. Sold 12/21/13

The Mistress: 1997 744iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Sold 6/7/12. You will be missed Baby..

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Boy that was a nice looking car back in the day! Looking forward to the resurrection!

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    I have that car, love it.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Why you tear it apart?
    car look weird with those headlights and black mirrors
    you got some little accident on original front bumper?
    Last edited by NordmanMg; 02-24-2015 at 02:40 AM.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    Welcome to the forum. As a new member you will have some restrictions on posting pictures and links. They will need to be approved until you get your post count up a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jimbo View Post
    Welcome here brother. Nice to see you here also. Can't wait to see the car progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    Boy that was a nice looking car back in the day! Looking forward to the resurrection!
    Quote Originally Posted by kouks View Post
    I have that car, love it.
    Thanks for the welcome and comments. I look forward to posting my story here; both what's been done and what the plan is. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    Why you tear it apart?
    car look weird with those headlights and black mirrors
    you got some little accident on original front bumper?

Hi Nordman, thanks for asking!

Nephew #1 and I took it apart, to do many things. We decided to go all through it. Some maintenance, some repairs and lots of mods. I'll share more about some of this work in the next posts.

here is a teaser, cleaned and rebuilt using upgraded gen 3 injectors:

You have a good eye and noticed some of the changes already. The front bumper is black and is a replacement that I did before "Nephew #1"; I caught it on a parking curb and it shattered. We kind of like the black look which tied into the black trim along the bottom of the car typical of the older model years.

We did paint the mirrors black and also the chrome trim around the window (to make shadowline there). Not sure what we are going to do with the color scheme with Nephew #2...lol

You noted the headlights. well those are stock, but I disassembled them years ago and painted the surrounds silver. You'll also note that I upgraded the orange corners with newer model year (2001) crystal clear flashers. Same with the grills, as I recall they are from a 750.

So we are just having fun and were making the car special and unique for my Nephew #1, but Nephew #2 was involved and excited about the project. He seized the opportunity to get the car when I wasn't able to complete it for Nephew #1 who ended up buying a different car. I know a little confusing perhaps, but it is all good and we are excited about getting it back on the road.

I plan on posting more historical stuff about what I did before the "Nephews" and what was done during "Nephew #1".

I started the project again about 1 week ago and haven't done anything major yet, just ramping back up!

thanks again everyone really excited about posting the "story" here!
    Last edited by cyclops2; 02-24-2015 at 03:47 AM.
    1997 740iL; 5/96 build. Purchased 12/04. Off the road build project 2013 - 2021. back on road 3/2021. Became daily driver (only vehicle) 6/12/2021. Still not completed. Stay tuned as the adventure continues.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL
    Good deal, this is a great idea. I started similarly with an '82 Jaguar XJ-S V12. I learned a lot and will forever be grateful to the man who helped me with it. Make sure to convert it to a manual and ditch the slushbox!

Looking forward to thread progress.
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 6-speed
    1997 BMW 740iL
    2003 Chevy Avalanche

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    I want to post some of the history about the car, things I did the first 9 years I owned it and then things I have done during the "Nephew build" period. But over the past 1.5 weeks, the Final Chapter has begun and we are reassembling the car after sitting for over a year. So I want to share a few pictures of what I've been doing right now. I will post some history pics later.

Prepping rear wheel well area for paint: doing a little silver here:

Spraying a little black

BMW blue on the rotors

finished painting silver and black

Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 740iL; 5/96 build. Purchased 12/04. Off the road build project 2013 - 2021. back on road 3/2021. Became daily driver (only vehicle) 6/12/2021. Still not completed. Stay tuned as the adventure continues.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    more on what we are doing now. Finishing up the rear wheel area rebuild and rehab. Here are some more pics:

wheel liners back in, bilsteins installed.

Rotors and calipers installed

So what have we done back there?

we replaced the fuel inlet hose to the tank (with new clamps), new overflow hose, new fill neck rubber seal, new gas cap, *painted liners, *painted wheel carrier and all suspension black, *replaced integral link, *replaced ball joint, *rebuilt and installed used Bilstein sport struts on Vogtland sport 1.2" drop (4 corners). The *calipers were powder coated blue everything else in the pictures were rattle canned. Let's see, also *replaced the charcoal cannister and updated the vent hose according to old TIS notice. Also installed new emergency brake shoes. Replaced the brake hoses (rubber). All hardware wire wheeled clean.

* some of the work was during Nephew #1 period

Left to do in this area: replace a few missing fasteners for liners, replace grommets on emergency cable hangers, install ABS and brake wear sensors. We are moving on to the front to perform basically the same work. Will be painting the wheel well area and other components this weekend.

More pictures to come along with more on the history (what's been done previously).

Thanks for looking.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    What springs are those?

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Nice work

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    What springs are those?
    They are Vogtland Sport springs. 1.2" lowered on each corner (Bilstein HD Sport struts on each corner as well). I painted the rear springs and had the front springs powder coated (just a timing thing). I had originally installed the springs in 2006 on KYK struts (which blew out). I bought the rear Bilsteins from a guy on the Internet and bought the front Bilsteins at a Pick-and-Pull yard during Nephew #1.

Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    Nice work
    Thanks! Now starting to work on the front wheel wells, suspension and brake components.

huntin

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Been a week already since I posted a progress update. After putting the rear suspension back together, we moved to the rear interior and prepping the front wheel well/suspension for paint work.

Here are some pics of the journey:

This picture doesn't show you much, but.... it is together again! It has been apart for over a year (I don't recall how long actually). It was apart to get at the rear struts AND to replace a set of seat belts. The seat belt was a funny story; my newphew #1 actually got stuck in them. We couldn't get him out pressing the belt release didn't work. We had to cut the belt to get him out.

While the seat was out, I replaced the oring/gaskets on the tank access doors for the fuel pump and sending unit. Nice to have it back together. It needs a thorough cleaning and reconditioning. See the scrape, been there since 2006, but need to see if it can be repaired/removed. Ideas?

Picture of the driver side rear door panel removed. Need to repair the trim piece (was chrome) that goes against the window blind. This was was curved and the window blind would bind up on it and not retract into the door fully. I new Nephew's would destroy the blind if it couldn't be hidden away in the door. Also, look close and you see that I've drilled out the speaker enclosures. This is to achieve "infinite baffle" or at least as much as possible. I mean, most speakers are made to have open air behind them, unlike the OEM speakers used in the enclosure needed the sealed box. This mod greatly improved the sound of my MB Quart speakers. Anyway, need to glue a straight piece of trim back on the door panel and reinstall.

Speaker baffling example:

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    OK, more progress. Last night finished prepping the driver side wheel well and suspension area for paintwork. Also, while apart, I removed all old wire harness tape and inspected everything. No problems found! Then rewrapped the harness.

Here is harness rewrap. This area of the harness is known for having wires break or becomes exposed leading to problems, especially ABS. I plan to put silicone caulk in the ends of the connectors and use electrolytic grease in the connectors (mating side).

Now let's get this area cleaned up and painted. talk about anal, most of this area will be behind the wheel well liners (which I've already painted!). This area was degreased, wire wheeled, blown off and wiped off. I Will be starting the painting tonight. Plan on painting silver and black in the area seen.

Last edited by cyclops2; 06-03-2015 at 03:08 AM.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I just looked and I only have the hole for that tie wrap for the wire harness. Have none of those other three.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    I just looked and I only have the hole for that tie wrap for the wire harness. Have none of those other three.
    Thanks, is the lower hole where the wire tie wrap goes? I think the others are from an aftermarket air horn. I will need to plug those. Ideas on best way?

oh and Chuck, I might be missing something, but it appears you've answered a post of mine that hasn't been "released" for posting here yet. lol

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Oops. Got it. The tie down is right where yours is in the pic.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Oops. Got it. The tie down is right where yours is in the pic.

OK. Looking at car now, I see it has the harness tie wrap is in place. I have those 3 hole and another farther down toward the front of the wheel well that aren't used.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
    OK. Looking at car now, I see it has the harness tie wrap is in place. I have those 3 hole and another farther down toward the front of the wheel well that aren't used.
    Those are the ones I was referring to that I do not have.

My Cars
    \\
    since you took the panel out of the door, i have a question, is it possible for me to just buy a front door without the double pane glass, and use the metal skin. mine has minor rust, i grinded and painted it, but i feel like replacing the door every time i see the car. so all i will be using is the metal skin from a single pane window door. is that possible?

thanks in advance.
    1966 Porsche 911
    1966 FORD GT40 MK2
    1967 Alfa Sprint GT
    1968 Ford Mustang Coupe
    1968 Chevy C10
    1970 Alfa 1300 GT Junior
    1972 Alfa 2000 GTV
    1974 Alfa 2000 GTV
    1978 Porsche 911 SC Targa
    1980 Mazda 626 Rotary Turbo
    1981 Mercedes 300GD
    1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3 16
    1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3 16
    1988 BMW 735i 5 Speed
    1989 BMW M3 BRG
    1989 BMW 325IX
    1991 BMW 850i
    1991 Range Rover 2 Door VM Diesel.
    1993 BMW M5
    1995 Porsche 911 C2
    1996 BMW M3
    2001 BMW M5
    2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S
    2002 Ford F150 5 Speed 4x4 Reg Cab Shorty
    2002 Honda Insight 5 speed
    2005 BMW M3
    2008 BMW M5
    2012 BMW X5 Diesel
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum Supercrew

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Quote Originally Posted by rahee006 View Post
    since you took the panel out of the door, i have a question, is it possible for me to just buy a front door without the double pane glass, and use the metal skin. mine has minor rust, i grinded and painted it, but i feel like replacing the door every time i see the car. so all i will be using is the metal skin from a single pane window door. is that possible?

thanks in advance.
    I am afraid that I don't know the answer to your question. Sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

Tonight's progress report. Primed and painted the driver side front wheel well silver. Next I will spray some of the area black. I also prepped and masked the passenger side front wheel well which will get primed and sprayed silver tomorrow.

Here are some pics; driver side first

Prepped

Primed

Sprayed silver

Here is passenger front prepped and masked.

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Slow and steady...

a little progress today, but just a little. silver paint work completed on driver side wheel well, black parts primed tonight. Passenger side wheel well primered tonight and will spray out silver tomorrow.

Driver side; silver done, black primered

Passenger side primered

Removed front door panels to shadowline chrome trim at top of panel by window, to repair any broken parts AND to paint the speaker grills silver. Here are pics with the door panels removed. As with rear doors, I have drilled the speaker enclosures to be better suited to the MB Quartz speakers. I retained the stock BMW tweeters on the front doors (they out performed the MB Quartz). I did move to MB Quartz tweets on the rear doors. Doors are glued and clamped and will finish them tomorrow. Notice under the dash... just another project area to clean up and reassemble (XM radio, Remote start and who knows what else in there...lol).

Goal is to have front suspension completed and wheels on by next weekend. But even then lots of work left to do!

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    This project is a lot like watching paint dry!...................................oh wait, it is watching paint dry. Well made a little more progress on the wheel well paint work tonight. Also working on 3 of the door panels (gluing, bracing, painting, shadowlining). Took some pictures, but nothing came out decent tonight.

Taking a couple days off.

Here are a couple of pics of car on blocks in the shop.

My Cars
    01 750 Sport "Angel"
    Very nice progress.. Love the attention that you are giving her.

Avenging Angel: 2001 750iL Sport Schwartz II Metallic, too many upgrades to list here..
    Kirsa: 2000 750iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Born on 11/99. Sold 12/21/13

The Mistress: 1997 744iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Sold 6/7/12. You will be missed Baby..

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast