Thread: The future of tail light innovation today. BMW organic light OLED.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Post The future of tail light innovation today. BMW organic light OLED.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Seen Audi with it.. Looks cool.. Can see it now... Out of warranty... Customer states tail light out message.. Estimate for 400$ tail light assembly. Rofl
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    The Audi ones are trippy

Last edited by Aryana; 02-25-2015 at 12:48 AM.
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryana View Post
    The Audi ones are trippy
    Hey, it's not my fault I rear ended him, those tail lights distracted me!
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

323i E30 is online now ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Ridiculous. I want to know what a car and its driver are trying to communicate on the road. Not space out on trippy lights.
    I'd like a set of those Audi taillights in my living room though..
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    z3
    Those Audi lights are a cool concept showing off the capabilities of OLEDs but I don't think they have any intention of actually bringing those to market. I wonder how they make those though, looks like they are just pushing some current through an OLED board and its illuminating certain parts of the OLED as the electricity flows through.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1983 Bmw 533i
    I feel like OLED's have been around a while (in the automotive world) but were never really implemented except in the concept cars. Why? They do look pretty rad and are efficient... Plus, its a free acid trip for the person behind you if you're driving that Audi.

My Cars
    e24, e31, e32, e39, e60
    Why are things getting so complicated, like really, it is a fuckign tail light! Who gives a F***!? Does it light up? If so, don't make it more complex.
    ['07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
    Toys
    '93 BMW 850i J Spec- (DiamondSchwartz)-CSI Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
    94 BMW 850 CSi - OE
    91 BMW 850Ci Manual
    '88 BMW 635CSi ACS's++
    '81 MB 500 SEC Koenig (pearl white)
    00 BMW 750iL J Spec- Alpina Mods
    06 MB S65 AMG
    09 911 4S
    11 BMW M3 DCT Competition
    12 BMW 328i M Sport Convertible
    +++

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWM5LOVER View Post
    Why are things getting so complicated, like really, it is a fuckign tail light! Who gives a F***!? Does it light up? If so, don't make it more complex.
    Yeah lets go back to halogen headlights and candle-lit tails

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Your signature somewhat belies your outrage.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Because they can be brighter more efficient, compliment the appearance of the car. So on so forth.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    e24, e31, e32, e39, e60
    All it does is it costs a fortune to repair/replace when the time comes. Thanks, but no thanks. HID/LED is fancy enough imo. Is it cool, yes, necessary, I don't think so. I can't remember the last time I felt my car's lighting was inadequate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Your signature somewhat belies your outrage.
    How so? I am not contradicting at all. I have pre-lci cars..If I cared enough I would be a proponent for the newest and greatest. lol
    ['07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
    Toys
    '93 BMW 850i J Spec- (DiamondSchwartz)-CSI Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
    94 BMW 850 CSi - OE
    91 BMW 850Ci Manual
    '88 BMW 635CSi ACS's++
    '81 MB 500 SEC Koenig (pearl white)
    00 BMW 750iL J Spec- Alpina Mods
    06 MB S65 AMG
    09 911 4S
    11 BMW M3 DCT Competition
    12 BMW 328i M Sport Convertible
    +++

My Cars
    z3
    Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion ... but for a lot of people, myself included, the lights are a big part of the overall look of a car. I fell in love with the E39 CELIS tail lights back when those cars were new when I saw them at night and they still look great to me. The new BMW lights are really phenomenal as well. They really aren't that expensive to replace either... and LEDs don't really "go bad" - they should out-live the car failing some weird circumstances. So it prevents you from replacing bulbs, which on newer BMWs with their extremely tight packaging is becoming a bit of a chore.

FWIW, I upgraded to the newer style lights on my pre-LCI 128i and it was ~$240 for the set. Hardly "expensive" by any stretch.

It has nothing to do with being a adequete, but people paying $60,000+ for a brand new luxury car probably want more than halogen tails

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    97 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion ... but for a lot of people, myself included, the lights are a big part of the overall look of a car. I fell in love with the E39 CELIS tail lights back when those cars were new when I saw them at night and they still look great to me. The new BMW lights are really phenomenal as well. They really aren't that expensive to replace either... and LEDs don't really "go bad" - they should out-live the car failing some weird circumstances. So it prevents you from replacing bulbs, which on newer BMWs with their extremely tight packaging is becoming a bit of a chore.

FWIW, I upgraded to the newer style lights on my pre-LCI 128i and it was ~$240 for the set. Hardly "expensive" by any stretch.

It has nothing to do with being a adequete, but people paying $60,000+ for a brand new luxury car probably want more than halogen tails
    I agree, if you are spending that much money on a new car then you shouldn't be worried. I wonder since they are making a huge statement over these new lights they will offer some sort of warranty on them...here's to hoping.