Thread: Buying a BMW with 100k Miles

My Cars
    na

Buying a BMW with 100k Miles

Hi everyone, I never owned a BMW but am really considering buying a used one around the 2007-2011 year range. I found a 2007 525i with about 110k miles on it.

I was curious what is everyones experience with high milage on BMWs. Is the learning curve for repairs and maintenance on BMWs different than most vehicles? I'm kinda sketched out regarding buying one because of all the stuff I've been reading online. But on the other hand I also read about owners who can get more than 200k miles out of their BMW with no major problems, just keeping the vehicle well maintenanced.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

My Cars
    '11 X5 35d, '07 335i
    100k is kind of the sweet spot of maintenance for most vehicles whether it be cooling system, plugs, coils, timing belts (vehicles that still run them), checking the bushings on the suspension, oil leaks (VCG, OFH, oil pan most commonly). All in all, best to try to figure out what has been done and what will need done, then judge whether its worth the investment. Having a mechanic look it over also helps spot things you wouldn't typically notice. This is not to scare you away from a higher mileage vehicle, but for it to keep running optimally it needs to be taken care of as such. This is pretty much why most people don't like to own vehicles past 100k, because the maintenance scares them.

2014 Toyota Tundra - 2011 BMW X5 35d - 2007 BMW 335i - 2005 Yamaha R6
    2006 BMW 325xi (sold) - 2002 BMW 325i (sold) - 1994 BMW 325i (sold) - 1992 BMW 735i (sold)

My Cars
    na
    So a lot of the maintenance can be DIY on a bimmer? From what I have been told its very different than working on a domestic or japanese vehicle, is that true?
    Regardless, I plan on getting a record of the maintenance/ shop visits from the dealer if possible.

On average, how long does a bimmer usually last. I hear toyotas can last over 200k miles with regular maintenance. So I am assuming that a bimmer being built much better than a toyota can last as long or longer with proper care.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    You are making way too many assumptions for me to even begin replying.

My Cars
    '11 X5 35d, '07 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by bxv1785 View Post
    So a lot of the maintenance can be DIY on a bimmer? From what I have been told its very different than working on a domestic or japanese vehicle, is that true?
    Regardless, I plan on getting a record of the maintenance/ shop visits from the dealer if possible.

On average, how long does a bimmer usually last. I hear toyotas can last over 200k miles with regular maintenance. So I am assuming that a bimmer being built much better than a toyota can last as long or longer with proper care.
    DIY depends on the person but all things considered an engine is an engine is an engine. It all depends on your willingness to research so you can save yourself some time and money. The information is out there anything from simple torque specs to troubleshooting to coding. BMWs can be run a long time with proper upkeep and that goes for most cars. I wouldn't necessarily say they are more "reliable" than toyota, but I would like to think they put more thought and luxuries into BMWs. Like any vehicle they have their weak spots as well as wear and tear items. I had a 94 325i which I sold with 296k on the clock and it's still going. How long it will last is subjective to the upkeep.

Most people will buy these car's expecting things to never break simply cause it's a BMW. You can't go in with such an expectation, things wear out and things break whether its due to age or external factors.

2014 Toyota Tundra - 2011 BMW X5 35d - 2007 BMW 335i - 2005 Yamaha R6
    2006 BMW 325xi (sold) - 2002 BMW 325i (sold) - 1994 BMW 325i (sold) - 1992 BMW 735i (sold)

My Cars
    na
    Gotcha, I believe I'm going to get a bimmer relativity soon. Just going to keep on researching on the forums/internet to learn as much as possible before making the purchase.
    Thanks for your input!

My Cars
    05 330i
    Make sure get a PPI when purchasing. Get the record of services. A lot can be DIY'ed depending on Owner's capability. Most likely, if you feel comfortable doing it, than it can be done. Make sure you invest in the Bently Manual it'll help a lot with DIY. Depending on matience, they can last a long time. Seen some sell with 300k on it.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Indeed, BMWs can be worked on yourself rather easily. They are very well thought out vehicles, maintenance items for the most part are easy to get to. They are well put together, when I was replacing the clutch in my car, my friends helping me out were absolutely amazed at how perfectly everything fit and bolted up.

That being said, don't fall for the thought that, "it is a German made BMW, it is going to be super reliable." BMWs don't appreciate being neglected very much. When they are kept up and properly maintained, they are a very pleasurable experience and should reward with reliability. However if they are neglected they tend to snowball very quickly and become quite annoying to own. I have seen this time and time again on this forum.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your first Bimmer experience! There are lots of people around here that are willing to help out.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    6BT, 3VZE
    Quote Originally Posted by bxv1785 View Post
    From what I have been told its very different than working on a domestic or japanese vehicle, is that true?
    Yes. Sometimes they're easier, sometimes not.

On average, how long does a bimmer usually last.
    Until you skimp on maintenance

I hear toyotas can last over 200k miles with regular maintenance.
    Easily. There's a '91 Toyota pickup outside my house right now that has 318k on it. 1 owner from new, original engine/transmission
    Other brands can do it too. I was driving a Ford E-250 van for work that had 350k on it. Our lowest mileage van had 260k, the highest had 479k.

So I am assuming that a bimmer being built much better than a toyota
    I wouldn't make that assumption

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Buying a BMW (especially with an exciting motor) is like getting into a love-hate relationship. There are days that you think to yourself that this is the best thing you've ever owned and there are days when you wish you had a good ol Toyota.. That being said, my 1998 M3 has 217k miles with compression in all 6 cylinders of 180-190 psi. Over the past 3 years, I've spent nearly $5000 on maintenance and part replacement. As others pointed out, it all depends on the maintenance history and how well the vehicle was taken care of. From my experience, BMWs are relatively straight forward to work on (not taking into account electronics). There are many DIY articles on forums and websites such as pelicanparts.

My father has a 2008 528i. He purchased it new and it now has 120k. So far it gave him no issues and all repairs were just regular maintenance, coils, etc.
    primum non nocere

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Any car will run forever if you keep throwing money at it. BMW need more maintenance and upkeep compared to a similar Toyota, there is no question about it. It all depends whether it worth it for you.
    As for the car you're considering, I'd avoid that generation of 5 series (E60). It's too complicated (and a bit troublesome) and you should rather look for 328i (2007-2011) if you want something modern and a bit simpler. Consider 2009+ 328i if you can afford it, since those are LCI (refreshed) models. If you like driving manuals, then get one with a manual, since that's one less thing to break.
    Last edited by SpeedsterBek; 03-24-2015 at 11:37 AM.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos