Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Receiving large parcels from Germany

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Shipping time overseas, just another example: shipped one of my airbag/srs/oil/inspection reset tools to BC, Canada on February 12 by small air parcel by Japan Post, just today (March 6) I got info from Canada that it arrived. So 3-4 weeks seems to be normal.
    Last edited by shogun; 03-06-2015 at 03:20 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1972 3.0 CSi-1988 M6
    18x8.5" front (et 9) with 2.5" lip and 18x10" rear (et 19) with fat 3" lip.

Closeup of rear rim. The 3" deep lip appears shallower due to the iPhone's camera lens, thus making it hard to capture the lip's actual depth.
    Last edited by M6csi; 03-08-2015 at 12:24 AM.
    Bert
    91 850i-A
    1972 3.5 CSi (L-jet, Getrag 265 5 speed)
    1988 ///M6
    2021 X3 M40i

The back to back BIG COUPE” duo

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    I was notified by the Air Freight company that my box is in from Denmark. It is ready for me to go down to the airport and pick it up. According to them, it "should" only take me about an hour and $40 to fill out the paperwork and get it through customs. It is a big box!
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Just picked up the LARGE box. Here is what I did:
    I checked into ordering a new ALPINA front spoiler from the US distributor. They said that they did not know when or if they would be having a container coming over so could not quote a timeframe.
    I checked in Europe, and supplied the Alpina VIN so that Alpina would send the spoiler to the supplier I spoke with. The supplier then checked on freight to the US. It turned out that they could Air Freight the box to the airport. So, I ordered the part and had it air freighted to the airport here in Orlando. It took 5 days from the time they got the spoiler from Alpina until the Freight handler had it here in the US. I then had to go to the freight handler here at the airport in Orlando, pick up some paperwork and go to customs and comlete the customs paperwork my self (took about an hour), and then go back to the Freight Handler and give them the paperwork and picked up the spoiler. In picking up the spoiler from the airport myself, I saved over $300 by not direct shipping it to my home from overseas, and saved over $700 by not getting it from the US supplier (not that it made any difference, as they said they did not know when or if they could receive one).
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    1972 3.0 CSi-1988 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    Just picked up the LARGE box. Here is what I did:
    I checked into ordering a new ALPINA front spoiler from the US distributor. They said that they did not know when or if they would be having a container coming over so could not quote a timeframe.
    I checked in Europe, and supplied the Alpina VIN so that Alpina would send the spoiler to the supplier I spoke with. The supplier then checked on freight to the US. It turned out that they could Air Freight the box to the airport. So, I ordered the part and had it air freighted to the airport here in Orlando. It took 5 days from the time they got the spoiler from Alpina until the Freight handler had it here in the US. I then had to go to the freight handler here at the airport in Orlando, pick up some paperwork and go to customs and comlete the customs paperwork my self (took about an hour), and then go back to the Freight Handler and give them the paperwork and picked up the spoiler. In picking up the spoiler from the airport myself, I saved over $300 by not direct shipping it to my home from overseas, and saved over $700 by not getting it from the US supplier (not that it made any difference, as they said they did not know when or if they could receive one).
    Thanks for sharing your shipping experience. Good info, will be helpful for anyone of us to utilize this type of shipping service in the future.
    Bert
    91 850i-A
    1972 3.5 CSi (L-jet, Getrag 265 5 speed)
    1988 ///M6
    2021 X3 M40i

The back to back BIG COUPE” duo

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Just for info:
    I shipped a set of rims to the US february 17th and they still haven't arrived. One parcel (of two in total) have just been released by US customs while the other one seems to be still satuck there.

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Quote Originally Posted by wokke View Post
    Just for info:
    I shipped a set of rims to the US february 17th and they still haven't arrived. One parcel (of two in total) have just been released by US customs while the other one seems to be still satuck there.
    Weather on the East Coast has a lot of shipping/postal stuff playing catch-up.

My Cars
    '01 740iL, '95 840Ci
    Just now seeing this thread. Beautiful wheels M6csi! I purchased OZ Futura wheels from Claus back in 2012, wonderful experience. Almost the same sizes as yours, except my rears were 10.5. I have the step-lip on my wheels also. Can't wait to see them mounted.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    And here another case of slow delivery. A member of this forum ordered from me 1 M70 ignition wire set, I sent it out by small air parcel registered with tracking. And here the tracking copied:
    March 7, 2017, 5:13 pm Acceptance at my local post office in Japan
    March 8, 2017, 4:56 am Processed Through Facility TOKYO INT, Japan
    March 10, 2017, 3:11 am Processed Through Facility ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)
    March 11, 2017, 4:18 pm Arrived at USPS Facility LOS ANGELES, CA zip xxxxx
    March 12, 2017, 4:18 pm In Transit to Destination
    March 29, 2017, 10:41 pm Arrived at USPS Facility SAN FRANCISCO, CA zip xxxxx
    March 29, 2017, 10:41 pm Departed USPS Facility SAN FRANCISCO, CA zip xxxxx
    March 30, 2017, 6:49 am Arrived at Unit MENLO PARK, CA zip xxxx
    March 30, 2017, 1:11 pm Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available) PORTOLA VALLEY.......
    he will pick it up tomorrow from post office

Can someone explain to me why it takes for transportation of the goods from Los Angeles to San Francisco for abt. 600 miles 17 days! within the U.S.?
    According to my info mule mail delivery only still exists in Arizona, quote
    Animals have always played a major role in delivery services--from the Pony Express to horse-drawn carriages--but only one beast is still hauling mail today. A handful of donkeys and deliverymen still embark on a six- to eight-hour journey through the Grand Canyon five days a week to deliver mail and other supplies to residents of Supai, Arizona. This is the last route being serviced by mules. http://pop.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/06/...l-470-0509.jpg

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    When it is stuck in customs, that's what tracking shows "in transit".
    I order machine parts from German all the time. Sometimes, it takes 5 days to get to my door in California... other times, takes over a month. Always because it was "stuck in customs" somewhere.
    Ridiculous, really...

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    And another slow shipping by Canada Post: a forum member bought from me a toothed wheel for the electric rear sunshade repair for his E31. Brought to the post office here in Japan on June 29, tracking # of Japan Post says shipped out of Japan to Canada on June 30 19.00H by air. Since them no movement/updates in tracking. Yesterday I went to Japan Post and asked them to track, all they could get is that it has left Japan and now it would be the responsibility of Canada Post to add the details for tracking within Canada. So I informed the member to contact Canada Post, reply: "Thanks for trying on your end. I went to the post office here and when they recommended I call their support number. Long story short, for some reason Canada Post has decided not to honour registered mail tracking. I'll just wait, since I'm sure it can't be lost forever.Thanks, and I'll update you in at the end of the month, or before if it arrives."

Then I googled about the reputation of Canada Post: This is the fact: there have been reports that it takes up to 6 weeks for registered air packages to Canada. Canada Post reveals it is the reason for lengthy parcel delays https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/canada-po...lays-1.3447438
    Canada Post Reviews (597) • Bad https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.canadapost.ca

My Cars
    bmw 850
    it depends where in Canada you are shipping to, dont want to jinx myself but in montreal i have always got my packages on time
    and rarely get charged any tax or duty. recently got a package from Japan in under a week.

My Cars
    bmw 850
    Quote Originally Posted by razman850 View Post
    it depends where in Canada you are shipping to, dont want to jinx myself but in montreal i have always got my packages on time
    and rarely get charged any tax or duty. recently got a package from Japan in under a week.
    thats what i did,i jinxed myself. august 1st i bought a wire set and steel gear from Erich which he mailed right away.
    i kept checking the tracking info and yesterday it showed delivery attempt made and package being held for pickup, except they left no notice for me
    so i went to usual place last night and it wasnt there. today again it wasnt there. next i went to distribution center and they located it in neighbouring town and asked me if i wanrt it delivered, i had lost my comfidence in them and decided to go pick it up myself so the girl called the location and told them i will be over to pick it up.
    i go there present my ID and the lady said its not there, she checks tracking and cant find it, she calls a guy and asks me to come back on monday which i refuse, i told her it was a girl who had called her and she should call her back at distribution, seeing that i am not leaving she checks tracking again and finds my package right behind her, at this point i am speechless, yes i jinxed myself.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    A lucky day for me with Canada Post, that it arrived,razman850.

Also the registered airparcel I sent to DeltaSix in Victoria BC on June 29! arrived today, just got this info from him: "Toothed steel gear for sun blind: Good news! It finally arrived today. Couldn't be happier with the quality--and definitely looking forward to having a functional sunblind. Thank you very much for following up with me. As an interesting aside, a coworker ordered a number of plastic toy models from Japan and they arrived within about a week of his order. So it might be worth mentioning to other Canadian's that the ship time is anywhere from 1 week to 8 weeks. I wish I knew why! Thanks again, I couldn't be happier with the gear. Matt"

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Now a case from the US: sent to a member in Texas a sunshade repair toothed wheel and some other stuff out by registered air small package on Jan 1, today I received his message: quote
    We have a neighbor a few houses up the street with a house number almost the same as ours and the same last name. I just found out today that the parts have been there since Tuesday. I didn't understand why the tracking showed it was delivered but I hadn't seen it yet. Now I get it! Anyway, happy to have the parts. Everything looks great! I'll have to re-read the tutorial on the rear window gear and will take a bunch of pics to post in the for sale threads for the different parts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12