Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dual caliper settup

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

dual caliper settup

First does anyone have one for sale? I have fab skills for custom brackets, so besides buying Wildwood single pots what other rear calipers have you guys used? The cable settup has to go!!! This is for an e36m.

Thanks
    Derek

My Cars
    '83 320i & '86 535i
    I know Rustyfriend just said he's in the process of making a bracket for a second stock caliper. I will either be doing the same or I may use a front from an e21 since I have a couple sets of those laying around.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Wasn't sure if there were any 1 piece alternatives people were pulling from other makes/brands of cars. Or maybe smaller than a rear M3 caliper?

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    Hi Derek. Suck kit does exist. ;-) Bolt-on.

Lee
    1969 2002 racecar + 1989 e30 M3 racecar

My Cars
    E46XI E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Lee View Post
    Hi Derek. Suck kit does exist. ;-) Bolt-on.

Lee
    a little more information might help.....

My Cars
    96 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidD123 View Post
    a little more information might help.....
    http://www.massivebrakes.com

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535

- - - Updated - - -

There are a few threads on BFc about those kits. One for e36 M3, one for e36 and one for e30. No cutting. No drilling.

Lee
    Last edited by Massive Lee; 02-22-2015 at 07:52 PM.

My Cars
    E46XI E36
    OP is looking for an option other than buying wilwood calipers.

Myself, audioscience rustfriend and many others are looking for a cheaper more commonly available caliper option such as an OEM caliper.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Lee, have always trusted your info and parts/ thanks for all the tech you have provided to performance BMW parts! With that being said, was seen if say is there an option on any other make or model of car/truck that is a 1pc that anyone else has used (240sx/fox body/supra) anything?....or just man up and rock a Wilwood kit (already run Wilwood bbk lol)

Thanks guys

My Cars
    96 M3
    if you want to be cheap just weld 2 ears to the hub. shouldn't take me then 20 minutes

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    honestly the willwood calipers arent that much, you can find them new for 300 for a pair on ebay with pads. great deal for what you are getting. I love mine, they lock the rear wheels up fantastically plus they look cool.

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    The problem with using an OEM sliding caliper is the play which comes with the sliding mechanism. The tiniest play will show up greater at the handle. How heavy is an OEM steel caliper? Most likely heavier than the 3lbs Dynapro. A used caliper needs refurnbishing while a new caliper is... new. Not to mention the great selection of compounds and brands for the Dynapro. That being said, I am not pushing the kit itself in its final execution, but the thinking behind it. ;-)

One thing is for sure, having a parallel hydraulic system is night and day. You can feather the main brakes to transfer weight to the front wheels, and then modulate the hydro handbrake totally independently to slide the back end. Can't do that with an hydraulic handbrake plumbed into the main system.

Lee
    Last edited by Massive Lee; 02-21-2015 at 04:39 PM.

My Cars
    98 328is
    i just wish i could keep the stock ebrake on my 328is with the massive kit. i live in the texas hill country and everywhere i park is on an incline.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    The problem with using an OEM sliding caliper is the play which comes with the sliding mechanism. The tiniest play will show up greater at the handle. How heavy is an OEM steel caliper? Most likely heavier than the 3lbs Dynapro. A used caliper needs refurnbishing while a new caliper is... new. Not to mention the great selection of compounds and brands for the Dynapro. That being said, I am not pushing the kit itself in its final execution, but the thinking behind it. ;-)

One thing is for sure, having a parallel hydraulic system is night and day. You can feather the main brakes to transfer weight to the front wheels, and then modulate the hydro handbrake totally independently to slide the back end. Can't do that with an hydraulic handbrake plumbed into the main system.

Lee
    Agreed, I searched your sight and only came up with the e30 version, can you post a link for you e36 m offering.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Lee,

I wish you had a bracket for the OEM non-M rotor (280mm x 10mm) for the extra caliper. I'd use that with a single piston sliding or dual piston 1.5lb Wilwood caliper as my primary caliper and ditch the OEM caliper for a nice lightweight autocross setup. Then I'd get Coleman to make me something nice and light for a rotor and sketch up a nice lightweight aluminum hat to mount it on.

Can you say "drop 15lbs of combined unsprung weight off the rear axle"?
    Last edited by jakermac; 02-21-2015 at 08:39 PM.

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Lee,

I wish you had a bracket for the OEM non-M rotor (280mm x 10mm) for the extra caliper. I'd use that with a single piston sliding or dual piston 1.5lb Wilwood caliper as my primary caliper and ditch the OEM caliper for a nice lightweight autocross setup. Then I'd get Coleman to make me something nice and light for a rotor and sketch up a nice lightweight aluminum hat to mount it on.

Can you say "drop 15lbs of combined unsprung weight off the rear axle"?
    It is not technically possible to bolt an adapter with a 280mm disc using the smaller 160mm handbrake shoes.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    I park on all manner of inclines, I just leave it in 2nd gear, no problems yet in the year and half I've had Lee's Kit

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    e36 M3 model - hub must be removed for installation
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2267056&type=3

e36 model - hub can be left in place for installation

Calipers used are Wilwood Dynapro 120-9703 - I suggest Wilwood's H compound pads for the highest grip.
    Jegs and others eShops offer the calipers for under $150.00 each

And it all started 3 years go after 6 months of design and test fitting.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...1#post23537311

About 120 sets have been installed and it "seems" they work well ;-)

Last edited by Massive Lee; 02-22-2015 at 08:08 PM.

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    I park on all manner of inclines, I just leave it in 2nd gear, no problems yet in the year and half I've had Lee's Kit
    yea, youve said that to me before. i just dont trust it.

e36 M3 model - hub must be removed for installation

e36 model - hub can be left in place for installation

Calipers used are Wilwood Dynapro 120-9703 - I suggest Wilwood's H compound pads for the highest grip.
    Jegs and others eShops offer the calipers for under $150.00 each

And it all started 3 years go after 6 months of design and test fitting.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...1#post23537311

About 120 sets have been installed and it "seems" they work well ;-)

is there ANYWAY at all to have an independent caliper and retain the stock ebrake?

or...... the k-sport hydro ebrake has a provision, if i recall that can lock it in place, would this work for a makeshift parking brake?

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    ^ could work a bit but I would still leave it in gear as a fail safe. I don't know why you dont trust leaving it in gear.

Park on a hill stay in the car dont pull up the e brake and put it in 2nd and let off the brake and the clutch. you wont go anywhere.

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    ^ could work a bit but I would still leave it in gear as a fail safe. I don't know why you dont trust leaving it in gear.

Park on a hill stay in the car dont pull up the e brake and put it in 2nd and let off the brake and the clutch. you wont go anywhere.
    i do this anyway. parking brake is never good enough here. but i always use the parking brake too.

- - - Updated - - -

plus, how do you deal with state inspection?

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    Hi guys

The hydro handbrake kit was designed for dedicated drift cars. Guys wanting more performance and modulation from their handbrake, and especially legal for drift associations requiring independent hydraulic systems between main and handbrake channels. It is a competition-only part. You can't have a competition part on a street-driven vehicle unless you're willing to give away something. It's like fitting a coil-over suspension and expecting Cadillac-plush softness and quietness. Or fiting aluminum suspension bushings yet not wanting vibrations, and so on... ;-)

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hi guys

The hydro handbrake kit was designed for dedicated drift cars. Guys wanting more performance and modulation from their handbrake, and especially legal for drift associations requiring independent hydraulic systems between main and handbrake channels. It is a competition-only part. You can't have a competition part on a street-driven vehicle unless you're willing to give away something. It's like fitting a coil-over suspension and expecting Cadillac-plush softness and quietness. Or fiting aluminum suspension bushings yet not wanting vibrations, and so on... ;-)
    Agreed! And Lee thanks for the extra info in your earlier post! I understand the r&d you put into your products as well as the fab and machining it takes to produce said products. Thanks

Derek

My Cars
    '96 328i vert
    Lee: Whats the pricing on the non-M bracket kit? And ballpark what would a set of calipers run?

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Well lucky me Florida doesnt have state inspections of any kind . We get away with a lot of crazy shit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast