Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dual caliper settup

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    Well lucky me Florida doesnt have state inspections of any kind . We get away with a lot of crazy shit.
    i tested your "put it in 2nd theory", yeah, in my driveway, it doesnt work. first held okay, but 2nd wasnt having any of it. i wouldnt even trust first by itself.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    well then your best bet is to run an inline hydro setup or make a bracket you can weld on to the rear control arms to mount calipers. My factory ebrake didnt work at all so I didn't miss it when I went to the massive setup.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I built a fixture to setup wilwoods on a non-M e36 and retain stock parking brake. It is weld on however. I like it because I can use the better calipers but still run 15" wheels if need be. I can get pics if you want.

And I also ran dual stock calipers for a season and it sucked. Lee is 100% spot on with the floating caliper comment. Stock calipers really need a lot of throw, but dont make much force due to small piston area. The willwoods have a ton more area and similar throw if not less.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmfwd View Post
    I built a fixture to setup wilwoods on a non-M e36 and retain stock parking brake. It is weld on however. I like it because I can use the better calipers but still run 15" wheels if need be. I can get pics if you want.
    Yes please!!!

My Cars
    98 328is

And I also ran dual stock calipers for a season and it sucked. Lee is 100% spot on with the floating caliper comment. Stock calipers really need a lot of throw, but dont make much force due to small piston area. The willwoods have a ton more area and similar throw if not less.
    that would be great if you could!!! i recently donated my old mig welder i didnt have a connection for to the shop i hang out at. i havent welded in years, but this might be a great project.

My Cars
    E46XI E36

details please!

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Okay. So there's specs on wilwoods site with formulas explaining where to mount the caliper depending on rotor diameter, thickness, etc. I used those to design and machine this spacer/fixture. You clamp it to the rotor, and it ensures that your brake bracket is at the proper radius, the caliper is tangent to the outer edge of the rotor, and it is squared up in all other directions. Then you cut a bracket that you like, bolt it to the fixture, and weld it up.

I chose to cut down my backing plate, leaving it just large enough to support the ebrake shoes. You can just cut an area for the new caliper if you please.

Bolt your bracket on and clamp it to the rotor.

Poop weld it on. You will have to leave a gap on the back side where the abs sensor is. I also added a gusset in the back to reduce weld warping.

Replace wheel bearing, upper and lower balljoints(good upgrade) and trailing arm bushings while you have all this crap apart

Done. Stock ebrake, stock foot brake, baller e-brake, and 15" wheels.

- - - Updated - - -

I can rent the spacer out if anyone needs it. Its just going to sit around my workbench unless I need to do another e36

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3
    Sorry to revive an old thread and not trying to thread jack but does anyone know or make a dual caliper bracket for an e46 M3? Maybe someone that could make it or point me in the right direction any help would be appreciated.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Find a welder friend. That's really all you have to do.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3
    Lol ok I was just checking to see maybe someone had them pre-made or something thanks for the info

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Have you checked Massive Brakes?

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3
    Ya but they only have a kit for the e30

My Cars
    s50 e30, e36M, e46M
    Quote Originally Posted by jc e46 m3 View Post
    Ya but they only have a kit for the e30
    Not True

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2267056&type=3

He definitely makes a kit for e36. And could probably do one for an e46 if he hasn't already

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3
    Oh my bad I don't get on Facebook much thanks for the info

My Cars
    BMW E36 330, 318is, 328
    Great work Gmfwd ! I PM you, but i am not sure if you received my message. Do you still have the scheme for the spacer and the welded plate ? If you could share them it would be awesome !

My Cars
    98 328is
    i posted in this thread but never seen the outcome. def interested in a bracket for this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12