Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: "Do you need someone to take that to the scrap yard for you?" The $800 M3 project

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    Have seen this in use. Will definitely be part of my cage when it goes in.
    Yep. Just be cautious of rules regarding cage attachment points for your class. As long as the tube goes thru the floor without being welded to the floor it should be OK because it wouldn't be an attachment point. In Cemmett's case he's already exceeded max allowable for some classes by attaching to the rear subframe mounts. His cage would put him in Mod if he were racing in CCA CR.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    E36 M3,E46 ZHP, E39
    awesome build and an awesome find. what brand steering wheel hub is that?

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhudson View Post
    Yep. Just be cautious of rules regarding cage attachment points for your class. As long as the tube goes thru the floor without being welded to the floor it should be OK because it wouldn't be an attachment point. In Cemmett's case he's already exceeded max allowable for some classes by attaching to the rear subframe mounts. His cage would put him in Mod if he were racing in CCA CR.

Jay
    Definitely correct. I haven't read the CCA rules, but It also violates NASA 15.6.17 (additional reinforcement) and 15.6.2 (intent), but for NASA GTS I believe chassis stiffening is allowed, and I have seen NASA GTS spec M3's with this exact same chassis/subframe setup.

Anyway, there's plenty of NCRC and Time Attack events where the rules are less strict. The cage can always be brought into spec at a later date, but right now, it fits my vision and desire for the car. I'll cut my teeth there first, and then see if running CCA, SCCA, or NASA would be a good fit for me. There are plenty of things I should have done in hindsight, but I'm happy with the work and I'm glad I could give my buddy some experience.

Quote Originally Posted by norcalb1mmer View Post
    awesome build and an awesome find. what brand steering wheel hub is that?
    Thanks man! It's a momo hub. http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-16...series-z3.aspx

Should have bought quick release, in hindsight!

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    More work done today! Got the intake manifold removed. Found the rest of the rat's nest and their droppings...

Had to make a cardboard/duct tape attachment for the shop vac to get it all out.

Next step is to clean, replace intake manifold to engine gaskets, pull injectors and replace, perform heater core delete, and install oil dist. block sender for auxillary gauges.

Last edited by cemmett; 10-08-2015 at 03:24 PM.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Cleaned the shop a bit too

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    looks good!
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    looks good!
    Thank you! Hopefully, no Hantavirus after dealing with all this rat crap.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by cemmett View Post
    Thank you! Hopefully, no Hantavirus after dealing with all this rat crap.
    that Hantavirus is serious business. respirator, amigo!

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    that Hantavirus is serious business. respirator, amigo!
    I used one when I was cleaning out the worst of it! But I did some research and the threat is really only from fresh droppings. Also, I bleach it thoroughly before I disturb it.

The funny part is a respirator won't protect you, at least not the kind you can buy at the store. I couldn't find one that could protect against pathogens.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by cemmett View Post
    I used one when I was cleaning out the worst of it! But I did some research and the threat is really only from fresh droppings. Also, I bleach it thoroughly before I disturb it.

The funny part is a respirator won't protect you, at least not the kind you can buy at the store. I couldn't find one that could protect against pathogens.
    no bueno

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    lookin good man, Getting closer that's for sure, keep up the good work
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthbeam View Post
    lookin good man, Getting closer that's for sure, keep up the good work
    Thank you! I hadn't touched the car in about a month. Feels good to get back into it.

Anyway, as you saw, the rat's nest was right on top of the manifold. I'm replacing most of the hoses there just because they're crusted over and they'd be a pain to replace in the future.

Found this thread which was a great reference: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=710719

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Could you please come and clean my garage now?

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Could you please come and clean my garage now?
    Haha you supply the beer, I'm there.

So I found this when I took off the intake manifold and cleaned the head a bit. Does anyone think this will effect the car? Should I try to repair it or just leave it?

All cleaned and masked off. Vacuumed up all the rat droppings that managed to find their way everywhere.

Started removal of the spider hose; blocked off the throttle body coolant hoses and cut the expansion take hose to fit.

Last edited by cemmett; 10-10-2015 at 10:22 PM.

My Cars
    10 335i - 97 328is x2
    I hadn't checked out your thread for a while and just did - it's uncanny the similarity of what we've been doing! I see we both used the same exact Frog tape too! haha Are you deleting your spider hose as well? I just cut mine, replaced the o rings and JB welded it in place (popped it in with a small dead blow hammer). It seems to be doing well. I used double hose camps on the back of the spider hose piece since it's smooth and not ribbed like most connections. Or you could use the Bimmerworld or Achilles options as well
    1997 E36 Track Car - Started life as 328is
    1997 E36 S54 Track Car
    2010 E90 335i - Daily driver
    2011 F-250 - Tow rig

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by SalahHH83 View Post
    I hadn't checked out your thread for a while and just did - it's uncanny the similarity of what we've been doing! I see we both used the same exact Frog tape too! haha Are you deleting your spider hose as well? I just cut mine, replaced the o rings and JB welded it in place (popped it in with a small dead blow hammer). It seems to be doing well. I used double hose camps on the back of the spider hose piece since it's smooth and not ribbed like most connections. Or you could use the Bimmerworld or Achilles options as well
    Haha it's funny that you say that, because after looking at your thread I'm going to use the block coolant hose for a coolant temp sender!

I have the coolant block off plate for the back of the block, and one plug. I'm running the overflow tank to the back of the thermostat, where the spider hose used to be. Mine is an OBD1 S50 so no hardline coming from the block.

Edit: Wanted to ask; what did you mean by replaced the O rings and JB welded in place? Which part did you replace the O rings on?
    Last edited by cemmett; 10-14-2015 at 08:34 PM.

My Cars
    10 335i - 97 328is x2
    I can't get it to upload from my phone but i had forgotten you're OBD I. I think you guys don't have the same issue. On the OBD IIs the spider tube is a steel piece that presses into the back of the timing cover. It had dual o rings to make a tight seal and then the tube bolts to the block to keep it pressed in place. That means you have to leave the entire spider tube in place and cap off the unnecessary hoses coming out of it. An alternative is basically make it like the OBD I and have a short neck coming out the back of the timing cover to which you can connect the line to the expansion tank. It's the last pic on my build thread at the moment. Bimmerworld makes an option that is a machined aluminum piece which is slightly tapered. Basically you coat it in an epoxy they provide and pound it in place. Achilles makes an option which looks like a short version of the spider tube (with double o rings) but has a small Bracket to bolt it to the timing cover to hold it in place. I copied both on a cheap mans version of it haha
    1997 E36 S54 Track Car
    2011 F-250 - Tow rig

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by SalahHH83 View Post
    I can't get it to upload from my phone but i had forgotten you're OBD I. I think you guys don't have the same issue. On the OBD IIs the spider tube is a steel piece that presses into the back of the timing cover. It had dual o rings to make a tight seal and then the tube bolts to the block to keep it pressed in place. That means you have to leave the entire spider tube in place and cap off the unnecessary hoses coming out of it. An alternative is basically make it like the OBD I and have a short neck coming out the back of the timing cover to which you can connect the line to the expansion tank. It's the last pic on my build thread at the moment. Bimmerworld makes an option that is a machined aluminum piece which is slightly tapered. Basically you coat it in an epoxy they provide and pound it in place. Achilles makes an option which looks like a short version of the spider tube (with double o rings) but has a small Bracket to bolt it to the timing cover to hold it in place. I copied both on a cheap mans version of it haha
    Saw your updated post! Haha looks fine to me. JB Weld to the rescue.

The spider tube on mine is all rubber, just need to cut it after the thermostat, and plumb that back into the overflow tank. Put the blockoff plate on the back of the head, and plug the coolant hose that comes out of the front of the block (mine's rubber, yours is a hardline I believe), and delete everything else, like the throttle body coolant lines and the ones that run into the intake.

I've had enough new cars to realize that the older it is, the better there's a reason my daily is a 1979!

Next step for me is removing the Viper alarm system (ughhh) and the EWS system.... I'm not excited about that. It's been working fine this far, so I'm half inclined to take the 'if it ain't broke' approach, but all I have is the Valet key...

My Cars
    10 335i - 97 328is x2
    Nice man! I love the build and the fact you got it for so cheap is awesome! I had the EWS removed from my DME by the tuner. I owned a 94 325is I was going to make a track car prior to this car and learned about the older EWS systems but it confused the hell outta me haha keep up the awesome work!
    1997 E36 S54 Track Car
    2011 F-250 - Tow rig

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    I have work to do!

I hit a deer in the Benz a couple weeks ago. Spent a few days getting it ready for paint (removing literally dozens of chrome parts...), so that's where it is now. German engineering saving my life! Everything is so predicable on a 1979.

For the M3, got some new injectors, new gaskets, fuel filter, throttle body gasket, PCV hoses, air filter, IAT sensor, etc. Time to get some work done!

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Manifold off, ready for cleaning

Call me sentimental, but I like getting parts for a German car from Germany with instructions in German

And it seems to be a common theme.... More rat droppings and nests found underneath the injectors

Old injectors pulled and ready for cleaning and flow-matching as spares. You can see that at least two of them weren't sealing properly on the lower seal.

So much oil in the manifold from the previous bad valve cover gasket! Thick layer of oil sludge when I pulled these off.

Coolant blockoff plate installed at the head.

Still deciding how I want to route the overflow to the thermostat. I don't want to cut and put in another hose; I might just run it behind the alternator cooling shroud and tuck it behind the oil distribution block when I install it.

New injectors installed (put the clips on afterwards) and ready to go!
    Last edited by cemmett; 10-28-2015 at 02:21 PM.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Got the new oil distribution block all setup.

My buddy finishing the rear subframe reinforcement:

Getting creative for the roof gusseting:

The gunk on the bottom of the floor pan kept catching fire.

Finished the passenger's FIA-style door bar and plating.

New gaskets on the intake manifold, ready to go.

Gauge wiring all bundled.

Last edited by cemmett; 11-08-2015 at 02:58 AM.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Picked up this super clean 1998 323ci convertible for my mom! 155k miles. $2400. 5 speed. Early Christmas present from my dad and me.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Got to a good spot today!

Turns out, I should have used a brass brush instead of steel wool to clean gasket gunk off of the manifold... I had to get creative and make another attachment to vacuum it out of the valves.

But I got the intake manifold all back on. Fuel lines, gaskets, PCV hoses, all hooked up

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Replaced the fuel filter.

At first I was upset about the hose clamps being those stupid remove-only types, where you need a special socket to tighten them, but it's a very German design decision. "Yoo must replace zee hose clamps at zis time!"

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast