Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: "Do you need someone to take that to the scrap yard for you?" The $800 M3 project

My Cars
    10 335i - 97 328is x2
    Quote Originally Posted by cemmett View Post
    On 17x7.5?

Oh I'm sorry, I'm running those on 17x8.5 Kosei K1s.

My Cars
    m3 3.2
    what engine has the car ?
    its not a m3 engine a 320 or 325? also your diff is not a m3 diff

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5 speed
    That appears to be a U.S. Spec M3 motor to me. You might be thinking of the Evo version that wasn't available here.

My Cars
    m3 3.2
    normaly m3 has throtle boddy inlet i think

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwracer71 View Post
    normaly m3 has throtle boddy inlet i think

We didn't get that in America, or the six-speed transmission.

My Cars
    m3 3.2
    oke

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Sit tight for updates.... Just moved into a new place with an 800 square foot garage! So tired of working in the driveway.

Got the STI swapped RS smogged and tuned; making around 320hp/355tq on stock VF39 and a conservative tune. Went out to the coast and picked up a pup from a rescue in Eureka so he's been keeping me busy too. Not BMW related but... There ya go.

Last edited by cemmett; 02-11-2016 at 03:08 PM.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Took a break last weekend for a track day! I ran the Subaru and my dad ran a Mk2 Golf GTI (my first car). The Subaru is a gutsy car and can definitely be ultra competitive, but the 120hp Golf was 10x more fun to hurl around a track.

Anyway, got a few more exterior things done. Drilled out bumper covers for the tow hooks, and put on the M Power windshield decal.

Had the driver's side seat mount redone from scratch due to the steering wheel being at a slight (3* angle). This guy does excellent work.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Boston Green
    Your car looks just like mine. I have a 95 M3, Boston Green metallic on Contours, with the wood-grain console, shifter and dash insert, and white door cards and seats.

Your car IS my car XD

That being said, it didn't stay that way or long...

I'm excited to see what you do with yours, sub'd for sister cars!

EDIT: You even have slats in the front bumper opening too haha XD
    Last edited by King Hax; 05-25-2015 at 02:12 AM.
    BMW 1995 E36 M3 Luxury Pkg. (Bostongruen Metallic 275)

BMW 1999 E36 323is Sport Pkg. (Orientblau Metallic 317)

iSociety

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Looks great man!! Mine DID have one technoviolet door though...

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Saved a lot of weight today! God I hate stripping the interior; I'm avoiding that tar as long as I can.

took out sunroof, headliner, handles, dome lights, pillar covers, seatbelts, etc.

My Cars
    10 335i - 97 328is x2
    For the most part, the sound deadening tar comes up pretty easily with a heat gun and a scraper. The areas it's difficult to get off are where it is sitting over a rough patch. When it's over a smooth painted surface, I found it to come off without a ton of effort. Once you're done, rub it with mineral spirits and it cleans up nicely. There's gotta be 35lbs of that stuff in there!
    1997 E36 Track Car - Started life as 328is
    1997 E36 S54 Track Car
    2010 E90 335i - Daily driver
    2011 F-250 - Tow rig

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Exciting day! My fabricator/cage builder came over today to talk about my plan for the car.

Tue AutoPower weld-in cage is a great starting point, but I wanted to change a few things:

1. Dimple steel gusseting connecting A and B pillars of the A and B pillars of the cage
    2. Full X for the main hoop vs. one diagonal brace
    3. Full X for the halo hoop vs. one diagonal brace
    4. Gusseting around the intersections for the front legs and the B and C pillars (where they meet the main hoop)
    5. Reinforcement of the rear strut tower
    6. Connecting strut tower reinforcement to subframe (?) and the cage

I know this is overkill but.... 30 lbs of steel to the top half of the roll center is a small price to pay, should I need it

My question.... anybody know how this is done? What those vertical steel tubes are connected to? It looks like they're tying into the rear subframe.

My Cars
    There isn't enough room.
    Hell yeah man! Where are you from? I've been kicking around the idea of joining the NCRC, I live about 5 mintues from Laguna Seca, and I also had a 79 300SD as a daily!

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by CarsonXJGTI View Post
    Hell yeah man! Where are you from? I've been kicking around the idea of joining the NCRC, I live about 5 mintues from Laguna Seca, and I also had a 79 300SD as a daily!

Very nice man!! I see you had a Mk1 GTI; I have a Mk2 GTI myself

I live in Nevada City/Grass Valley area, about an hour north of Sac! NCRC is great. I've been taking my GTI to SCCA Track Night in America, which is a great way to get on the track for $130. Check it out!

My Cars
    There isn't enough room.
    Very nice man!! I see you had a Mk1 GTI; I have a Mk2 GTI myself

I live in Nevada City/Grass Valley area, about an hour north of Sac! NCRC is great. I've been taking my GTI to SCCA Track Night in America, which is a great way to get on the track for $130. Check it out!
    I had an 89 Mk2 GTI that I just sold and I just picked up a 76 gray market 450sel 6.9, and an 89 325is that I plan to track! That's cool, I'll probably see you out there at some point, I'm also gonna do the hooked on driving deal!

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Exciting day! My fabricator/cage builder came over today to talk about my plan for the car.

Tue AutoPower weld-in cage is a great starting point, but I wanted to change a few things:

1. Dimple steel gusseting connecting A and B pillars of the A and B pillars of the cage
    2. Full X for the main hoop vs. one diagonal brace
    3. Full X for the halo hoop vs. one diagonal brace
    4. Gusseting around the intersections for the front legs and the B and C pillars (where they meet the main hoop)
    5. Reinforcement of the rear strut tower
    6. Connecting strut tower reinforcement to subframe (?) and the cage

I know this is overkill but.... 30 lbs of steel to the top half of the roll center is a small price to pay, should I need it

My question.... anybody know how this is done? What those vertical steel tubes are connected to? It looks like they're tying into the rear subframe.

They are connected to the rear subframe mounts...or rather they back them up. If you have the means to do the welding then it's not a bad idea, but I also don't think you'll get much from it.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    RE: Subframe tie in

As dmw16 said, if you are able to do the work yourself or your specking a cage anyway, go for it. These subframes do move a lot, especially when you put sticky tires on. I ripped new OEM bushings within 4 track days so I went with harder bushings and tied into the cage, no movement now.

Very jealous of your find! Glad to see your doing right by the old girl; an M3 should see out it's life on the track. Grant her a good death!
    Last edited by TXV007; 06-30-2015 at 10:36 AM.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    I had an 89 Mk2 GTI that I just sold and I just picked up a 76 gray market 450sel 6.9, and an 89 325is that I plan to track! That's cool, I'll probably see you out there at some point, I'm also gonna do the hooked on driving deal!

Sounds good buddy! Thunder Hill has another SCCA Track Night America coming up on the 9th. Going out with a few friends from a local Evo club if you can make it!

Quote Originally Posted by TXV007 View Post

Very jealous of your find! Glad to see your doing right by the old girl; an M3 should see out it's life on the track. Grant her a good death!
    Thank you! It's a GT car and it will be driven like a GT car until I put myself into a wall. You'd be hard pressed to find a better, more well-balanced chassis with better aftermarket support than an E36 M3. And no motor swaps for me - I believe an M3 should always, always have a Straight 6... forced induction optional

Re: the subfrrame cage: Thanks a lot for the input guys. Since I am spec'ing that part of the cage out to my fabricator, we are going to go ahead with tying the rear subframe into the strut tower reinforcement and to the cage. I'll replace the bushings while I'm under there.

Stay tuned!

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Went out to the coast and picked up a pup from a rescue in Eureka so he's been keeping me busy too. Not BMW related but... There ya go.

Start the car and GO! Need wind in face now!

Good looking pup friend!

Car is coming along great too!

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Start the car and GO! Need wind in face now!

Good looking pup friend!

Car is coming along great too!
    Thank you! He's a great dog!

Got some more progress this weekend. Got the doors off and started weight reduction with the cutoff wheel, and started trimming the harness back some more.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Ugh what a pain in my ass. I followed a Youtube video where they remove sound deadening using a mix of 5lbs dry ice/ 32 oz Isopropyl alcohol ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FqkxgcjRQQ ). It didn't work very well. I never heard a cracking while it was on the sound deadening. I had a few pieces come off in big chunks, but for the most part, it was hammer and chisel. After 25 pounds of dry ice and 4 bottles of 91%, this is what I had left.

Before:

After:

In the bucket:

Wiring I've removed so far:

Back at it again tomorrow after work...
    Last edited by cemmett; 07-06-2015 at 03:02 AM.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    you're making good progress!
    gotta stay the course!
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    As mentioned above, the heat gun works wonders melting the glue underneath

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Zxc4 View Post
    As mentioned above, the heat gun works wonders melting the glue underneath

I was hesitant to try that due to the fumes! I'd heard more good things about the dry ice method. I think I will have to do that for some of the pieces that the dry ice wouldn't stick to.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast