Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: "Do you need someone to take that to the scrap yard for you?" The $800 M3 project

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    wd40, motor oil, silicone spray, whatever you have laying around. Should only need a light coat, just keep an eye on it, then clean the bottoms before welding

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I highly recommend not using anything with silicone for that purpose, getting it off again when you go to paint later could be a major problem.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Got a bit more done today! Got the rear end all put together. Suspension, brake caliper guide bushings, pads, rotors, and SS lines. Turner Race monoball rear mounts + tower reinforcement plates, StopTech lines, StopTech slotted rotors, Hawk DTC-60 rear pads, and Bilstein PSS9 coilover kit.

Last edited by cemmett; 03-17-2015 at 12:20 PM.

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    Nice work! Replace the fuel filter.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    What shock mounts are those? What springs are you running? Looks good!

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFabM3 View Post
    What shock mounts are those? What springs are you running? Looks good!
    Thank you! They are the Turner Race Monoball mounts. Suspension is the Bilstein PSS9 coilover set, which are 460 front and 685 progressive rear I believe.

I definitely plan on upgrading to adjustable control arms and front camber plates in the future, but I want to get this setup absolutely dialed before I start with a full race suspension setup. This is an amazing chassis as-is.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I've got some '99M front strut mounts (hats) left over from my car that you could have very reasonably if you want. That would give you much more negative camber than your stock '95 setup (resulting in about -2.7* if my theory is correct). Let me know if you're interested, I'd love to help.

Fun build!
    Last edited by FastFabM3; 03-17-2015 at 11:26 AM.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFabM3 View Post
    I've got some '99M front strut mounts (hats) left over from my car that you could have very reasonably if you want. That would give you much more negative camber than your stock '95 setup (resulting in about -2.7* if my theory is correct). Let me know if you're interested, I'd love to help.

Fun build!
    Thank you! I sent you a PM.

My Cars
    lots o cars
    Welcome to the world of BMW. I am also a Subaru convert and still love my Subarus, but for track my e36 is where it's at. have fun.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Subieworx View Post
    Welcome to the world of BMW. I am also a Subaru convert and still love my Subarus, but for track my e36 is where it's at. have fun.

Beautiful! I couldn't bring myself to let go of the Subaru myself, so I wouldn't say I'm a convert just yet

My Cars
    lots o cars
    I still have some as well. My daily is a 2015 wrx.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Got the seat mount fitted last night. Had a buddy tack up a square tube steel mount with 90 degree bent and hammered steel tabs for the aluminum seat and the seat mounts.

It was literally the perfect fit the first time with no adjustment needed.

Ordered fire surpression system today; the BimmerWorld 6 nozzle/4lb kit. Putting that in when the cage goes in. Prep for the cage is next.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Got some taillights in, finally:

Shell of the seat, attached for fitment before final welding:

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Damn! Bad news from Thunderhill raceway this weekend. I was all set to take the car out for its first run on Sunday at Thunderhill, but decided not to because I didn't want to run in any group until I had the cage and fire suppression installed and dialed in.

Apparently, two E36's, in the same run group, both rolled on the same corner on the same day. One driver did not have a cage; he was life-flighted (not sure of his condition). The other driver and passenger had a cage and walked away and were able to drive the car onto a trailer.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by cemmett View Post
    Damn! Bad news from Thunderhill raceway this weekend. I was all set to take the car out for its first run on Sunday at Thunderhill, but decided not to because I didn't want to run in any group until I had the cage and fire suppression installed and dialed in.

Apparently, two E36's, in the same run group, both rolled on the same corner on the same day. One driver did not have a cage; he was life-flighted (not sure of his condition). The other driver and passenger had a cage and walked away and were able to drive the car onto a trailer.
    that's awful.
    and simultaneously backs up your feelings about needing a cage.
    hope that driver recovers swiftly.

as an aside, i thought i got a solid deal on my 95M. not so much anymore.

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport

BTDT..... T8 on my first Club Race weekend. Barrel roll at exit, once over lightly. Got RF fender, hood, both roof edges, the left side from the driver's door back, LR wheel and the LR suspension/half-shaft. T8 flat was doable for me but there wasn't much room for error as I proved when I ran out of talent :-( TC Design cage and HANS took good care of me. Not a bump or bruise. Not even any soreness..... except my ego.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    More progress!

Got the front suspension/brakes completely done. Once I get the brakes bled, it's off to the alignment shop for a race alignment.

For the front, the same Bilstein PSS9's, braided lines, solid caliper guide bushings, and Hawk DTC-70 (vs dtc-60 in the rear.) Used 96-99 M3 suspension mounts that I sourced from FastFabM3 (Thanks for the good deal!) and swapped them left to right for about 3.5* negative camber.

Pretty much all of the bolts in the front were a bitch to get off, and even with generous coatings of PB Blaster, I broke a Craftsman 16mm socket and a Pittsburgh 18mm socket (with cheater bars, my impact wouldn't budge them). The rotors were rusted to the hub too, I had to use a brass hammer to get them off.

Delrin shift knob installed; seat bracket fully welded and installed. It will need some tweaking in the future for version 2, at which point it will be switched to the passenger side and the revised one used for the driver's seat

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jayhudson View Post
    BTDT..... T8 on my first Club Race weekend. Barrel roll at exit, once over lightly. Got RF fender, hood, both roof edges, the left side from the driver's door back, LR wheel and the LR suspension/half-shaft. T8 flat was doable for me but there wasn't much room for error as I proved when I ran out of talent :-( TC Design cage and HANS took good care of me. Not a bump or bruise. Not even any soreness..... except my ego.

Jay
    Turn 8 at Thunderhill?? That's exactly the turn that it happened on....

My Cars
    10 335i - 97 328is x2
    Looks great man! If you didn't already, make sure to hit the hub to rotor mating surface with some anti seize as well as the little allen head retaining screw on the rotor. Makes things MUCH easier to remove down the line. The inside of your car is starting to look a lot like the inside of mine!

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by SalahHH83 View Post
    Looks great man! If you didn't already, make sure to hit the hub to rotor mating surface with some anti seize as well as the little allen head retaining screw on the rotor. Makes things MUCH easier to remove down the line. The inside of your car is starting to look a lot like the inside of mine!
    Argh I should have thought of that! The retaining screws were fine, but the front rotors were on there pretty good.

My Cars
    10 335i - 97 328is x2
    Argh I should have thought of that! The retaining screws were fine, but the front rotors were on there pretty good.
    Honestly it's worth disassembling it to apply it before the brakes get hot a bunch of times at the track. I live in SC so we don't really have rust issues but even with the anti seize the rotors still required some love taps with a dead blow hammer to get them off after about 1.5 years on my track car.

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport

Turn 8 at Thunderhill?? That's exactly the turn that it happened on....
    Yup. I've spun 3 times there. Two with no ill effects to speak of. The last one was fairly expensive. That turn was definitely my nemesis.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhudson View Post
    Yup. I've spun 3 times there. Two with no ill effects to speak of. The last one was fairly expensive. That turn was definitely my nemesis.

Jay
    Looks like it's a problematic corner for a lot of people! Lots of videos on YouTube of people rolling on T8.

Also picked up some DS1's last night. For $300, couldn't pass them up

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone have info on tire sizes for non-staggered 17" wheels?

Stock size is 235/40 but there aren't a lot of tires in that size (specifically Michelin Pilot Cup Sport). When I searched, all the posts say to use this size.

Am I OK to run 235/45 for which there are quite a few tires available?

Edit: JUST realized there are no Pilot Cup Sports available in that size or any close to it

I'll do some more research but it looks like I will have to go with the R888 or the Direzza ZII.... Or maybe I should sell both my M Contour II's and the DS1's and get some 17x8 K1's.
    Last edited by cemmett; 03-31-2015 at 05:33 PM.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Look who's back on 4 wheels

Ordered the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and in the next few days it's getting trailered to the shop for tires + race alignment

My Cars
    10 335i - 97 328is x2
    I run a 255/40R17 square set up on my track car. Most e36 guys are running this or 245/40r17. I don't have any rub even with spacers front and back although I have rolled my front fenders

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by SalahHH83 View Post
    I run a 255/40R17 square set up on my track car. Most e36 guys are running this or 245/40r17. I don't have any rub even with spacers front and back although I have rolled my front fenders

On 17x7.5?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast