Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: "Do you need someone to take that to the scrap yard for you?" The $800 M3 project

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Quote Originally Posted by cemmett View Post
    That's a good question; I'm not sure. Since my oil temps were so high, I'm thinking I may switch to a heavier oil. Mine could also be VANOS noise. I'm not sure if a baffle would help with the lifter noise, or if the tick is even anything to be worried about.
    You can run a heavier oil and that will help, especially at startup. I run Rotella 15W-40 in mine and it's been happy for years that way.

A baffle is definitely a good idea. I also over-fill my oil pan by nearly a quart. Easy and commonly-accepted method of helping reduce/eliminate lifter tick after you run 'em hard. Another 3/4 quart won't be enough to cause cavitation.
    2011 F-150 FX4 | 1997 BMW M3 #404 GTS2 | 2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Yep, 8qts for me. Oil temps dont scare me too much. I see 260 on the regular.

Love the car man!! Great work.
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Brake_L8 View Post
    You can run a heavier oil and that will help, especially at startup. I run Rotella 15W-40 in mine and it's been happy for years that way.

A baffle is definitely a good idea. I also over-fill my oil pan by nearly a quart. Easy and commonly-accepted method of helping reduce/eliminate lifter tick after you run 'em hard. Another 3/4 quart won't be enough to cause cavitation.
    Thank you! T4 or T6 Rotella? I will definitely throw in the last of the 2nd gallon next time - I was just happy that it didn't seem to burn a drop, compared to my Subaru...

Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#3E3E3E
    Jab31169][/COLOR]
    Yep, 8qts for me. Oil temps dont scare me too much. I see 260 on the regular.

Love the car man!! Great work.

Thank you very much!'

I'll hold off on the cooler until I stabilize my oil usage and filling, and see how the temps go then.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Quote Originally Posted by cemmett View Post
    Thank you! T4 or T6 Rotella? I will definitely throw in the last of the 2nd gallon next time - I was just happy that it didn't seem to burn a drop, compared to my Subaru...
    Uhh. The white jugs. The non-synthetic stuff. I thought that was T5 and the synthetic was T6?

I change it out every other track weekend (because paranoid) so I don't pay extra for synthetic.
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Uhh. The white jugs. The non-synthetic stuff. I thought that was T5 and the synthetic was T6?

I change it out every other track weekend (because paranoid) so I don't pay extra for synthetic.
    White jug; same. I think it's T4 but it doesn't matter. I run T6 in the Subaru.

After looking over the BMW oil recommendation guide, there's really no need for expensive oil!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Yeah, all of my non-old-BMW friends (I have like 3) look at me funny when I tell them I run diesel truck oil in my racecar... but all of my E36/E34/E30s have been happy with it.
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Yeah, all of my non-old-BMW friends (I have like 3) look at me funny when I tell them I run diesel truck oil in my racecar... but all of my E36/E34/E30s have been happy with it.
    Same; it's great oil.

Also, check it!

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Woooohoooooo sorry I fell off the face of the earth guys!

I ended up buying a car that starts with P and ends with oor man's Porsche (914) so that's been taking up a bit o' garage space.

Getting the M3 ready for what should be a fun spring season. Got the driveshaft out and split; taking it to have the new bearing pressed in and have it balanced today.

Radiator is out to be replaced with aluminum unit to fix the leak I had at the last session. AC system still being fully removed. Power steering pump leak to be examined also.

More soon, cheers!

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Bumper off for new radiator

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Never noticed this thread but I, too have an $800 M3 track project!
    Mine is a technoviolet sedan, and I got it in 2014 and have been trying to make it trackable as affordably as possible.

Just did that car's first track day in November at Laguna Seca and it ran great with the exception of something I caused myself.

Wish I documented everything, but I didn't have the time to and just went right into it as soon as I bought the car.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie916 View Post
    Never noticed this thread but I, too have an $800 M3 track project!
    Mine is a technoviolet sedan, and I got it in 2014 and have been trying to make it trackable as affordably as possible.

Just did that car's first track day in November at Laguna Seca and it ran great with the exception of something I caused myself.

Wish I documented everything, but I didn't have the time to and just went right into it as soon as I bought the car.
    $800 for a technoviolet M3!! Oh hell yeah!

Whereabouts are you located?

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Bay Area!
    I've done Thunderhill a few times in my old car, but I'd like to get out there within the next few months.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie916 View Post
    Bay Area!
    I've done Thunderhill a few times in my old car, but I'd like to get out there within the next few months.
    Sounds good; I've run there with SpeedSF a few times and I was looking to do the 3 mile course with them soon. I'll let you know if I sign up!

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Finished some weight reduction with about ~ 25 pounds of AC nonsense!

So much room in the engine bay now.... Love the simplicity of the OBD1 S50

Some recent tool upgrades to drool over. Wera drivers, Proxxon sockets, Wera 1/2" ratchet (BITCHIN), and some Knipex pliers.... All German and all beautiful tools built to last a lifetime. Horror Freight tools have their place, and they had their place in my garage for a long time, but no longer

New eBay aluminum radiator installed and ready to go

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Anything special need done to remove the AC besides just unbolting stuff? I always wondered if any block off plates were needed on firewall or anything.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by pDubs View Post
    Anything special need done to remove the AC besides just unbolting stuff? I always wondered if any block off plates were needed on firewall or anything.
    I'm sure it'd be a good idea to plug the hole where the lines go through the firewall, but I also have the heater core blocked off and removed so there were several AC components going through that space that were deleted.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Heading out on April 14/15th for Thunderhill East with NASA - see you guys there!

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Crunch time! Got a big box o parts from Summit Racing including full driver's suit and nomex underwear.

Sending the car down to Mad Hamster fabrication today in Placerville for inspection and logbook issuing.

Finishing up a cutoff solenoid install today - look forward to a DIY on this, it was a fun project!

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Dropped off the car yesterday to finish up a few things - mounting a panel for corner worker kill switch/fire pull, install drivers seat, clean up some welds, install driver's side window net mounting, sunroof panel, and get the car tech'd and logbooked. SO STOKED for two full days at Thunderhill!!!

Found my hat for next weekend

Added kill switch circuit switches.

Finished kill switch solenoid and relay wiring; had to modify it a bit. The coil of the relay for the smaller wire from the battery is wired to the low side of the solenoid's load output, otherwise the voltage drop if both the coils were wired in series was too much and it wouldn't actuate the bigger solenoid. THIS IS INCORRECT; I'm missing the 3 ohm / 10 watt resistor on the low side of the solenoid to ground the alternator and prevent voltage pikes and the car from continuing to run.

Cleaned up wiring in passenger side in prep for passenger seat installation.

Cleaned up trunk wiring

Reminder to myself not to test until I get that resistor put in...

High-density foam padding installed

My RS-style door pull

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Back from fab and getting stoked for this weekend!!

All side harness belts mounted to body instead of seat mount bracket like before.

Aluminum sunroof panel riveted.

Passenger seat installed

Rear follow-throughs added to make subframe reinforcement legal for NASA
    [img]https://s14.postimg.cc/an5kdqlox/IMG_20180411_210428.jpg]/img]

Mount for rear fire pull and cutoff added

Next: Finish exhaust, fix power steering return hose leak, and get the car on the trailer today!

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Awesome two days at Thunderhill!

Car passed annual NASA race tech with flying carpets; tech'd for the next calendar year.

Absolutely no mechanical issues at all - just one oil change while I was there.

Times in HPDE 2 on Thunderhill East w/ bypass were getting close to 2:23, which I'm happy with. My goal is to be as smooth and as safe as possible considering it was my first time running that course at speed.

Looking forward to Sonoma next month!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Nice job buddy! You're going to have a lot of fun at Sears Point.

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    nice build; you jumped in the deep end, didn't you?

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFabM3 View Post
    Nice job buddy! You're going to have a lot of fun at Sears Point.
    Thanks my friend! Sorry to say, work got hectic and Sear's Point probably won't happen.

Trying to get some track time during Monterey Historics/Car Week in September and something in between.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitro
    nice build; you jumped in the deep end, didn't you?

Hell yeah, and thank you! It's been a ton of fun, and an amazing learning experience. You can't beat an $800 M3.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    See you guys on 9/17 for the Thunderhill 5 mile configuration with CFRA!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast