Thread: Window rattle fix that worked!

My Cars
    228i convertible

Smile Window rattle fix that worked!

I had a rattle in my front d/s window (2005 E46 sedan). When it was fully raised, it would rattle going over rough surfaces. The mechanism to raise it up and down worked fine, but I still thought it was going to be the dreaded regulator or something else that would require taking the door apart.

After a little searching on this forum & others, I came across a post with similar symptoms and a cure that sounded too good to be true. Still as it was easy to do, I thought I'd try it. Here it is:

Open the door.

At the top of the inside of the door, above the glass, there is a strip of soft felt / flock material that runs from one side to the other.

Clean it with a wet paper towel / rag.

Do the same to the door frame / rubber, where it matches the strip as it closes.

That's it.

(Well actually the original instructions suggested also using gummi pflege, but I didn't have any.)

It worked a treat. Rattle gone. Five minutes, zero dollars.

Yay!

Alpine White 2005 325i

My Cars
    325Xi
    This worked for me and you are a GENIUS!!!

Thanks

Peter

My Cars
    e46 325i
    Thank you so much.

I registered just to post this. I was going insane redoing my rain gutters and everything and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I didn't use gummi as I don't have it, but I did use 303 Aerospace and it has eliminated the problem 95%.

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future, too.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Use Dow Corning #4 Compound as replacement for gummi pflege,
    works as well as gummi:Dow Corning 4 Electrical Insulating Compound is a grease like silicone that is used to make moisture resistant seals for electrical, automotive, aircraft, and marine assemblies. It can also be used to lubricate and seal o-rings, switches, door seals, cable connectors, and battery terminals.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 06-10-2018 at 10:37 PM.