Thread: Help with picking model! E36

My Cars
    I wish...

Help with picking model! E36

Hello I live in Aus and I am looking to buy a E36, I would like a 6cyl because I feeling like the 4cyl wouldn't have enough power? Or am I wrong?

Well my problem is that there isn't too many 6cyl coupes around and could most likely buy a 4cyl now... Just don't know if it will be the right choice.

Any help on power or experience is appreciated!!!

My Cars
    2001 325i

Help with picking model! E36

Well it's up to you on what to get. I have both. A 318is and a 328i. The 4 cylinders feel pretty gutless and the 6 cylinders are nice and torquey and pull nice. If you are looking for power than get a 6 cylinder. If you don't care and just want a BMW than get the 4
    Last edited by Chris951; 02-12-2015 at 04:54 AM.

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    How quickly do you need a car? Sooner than later, get the best of what is available. If you can wait, wait for what you want/can afford.
    Last edited by Nanniepoo; 02-12-2015 at 09:45 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris951 View Post
    Well it's up to you on what to get. I have both. A 318is and a 328i. The 4 cylinders feel pretty gutless and the 6 cylinders are nice and torquey and pull nice. If you are looking for power than get a 6 cylinder. If you don't care and just want a BMW than get the 4
    Don't get a 320. All the weight of the 6 cylinder engine, little more power than the 4.

328 get way better mpg than 325.

To me that means you either go low or high.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323i Convertibl
    Power is a relative thing. Some people think 325's and 328's are fast, I do not. It depends on what you are used too. You need to figure out what "fast" is for you. Obviously this statement applies to USA vehicles only, the European models are a lot different. The above poster seems to have more relevant info on Euro models. In the US I'm pretty sure a Civic si would more then give it a run for its money.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    Power is a relative thing. Some people think 325's and 328's are fast, I do not. It depends on what you are used too. You need to figure out what "fast" is for you. Obviously this statement applies to USA vehicles only, the European models are a lot different. The above poster seems to have more relevant info on Euro models. In the US I'm pretty sure a Civic si would more then give it a run for its money.
    Hell, any new mom-mobile would dust off any E36. My wife's Acura RDX has 273 horsepower and would probably beat me in a stoplight drag race.

Me, I'd go with a 6, because they are just so smooth compared to a 4 cylinder. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_...linder_engines

Straight sixes are kinda rare and cool IMHO. Everyone has a 4, or a V6, or a V8.
    Last edited by RightYouAreKen; 02-12-2015 at 09:58 AM.
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by RightYouAreKen View Post
    Hell, any new mom-mobile would dust off any E36. My wife's Acura RDX has 273 horsepower and would probably beat me in a stoplight drag race.

Me, I'd go with a 6, because they are just so smooth compared to a 4 cylinder. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_...linder_engines

Straight sixes are kinda rare and cool IMHO. Everyone has a 4, or a V6, or a V8.
    While I don't consider the 328 fast, BMW's across the board are quicker then the HP numbers would make you think. The 190hp in my 328is would easily take on a 300 hp SUV. Hell my truck barely weighs more then one of those SUV's and my BMW will destroy it even though the truck has nearly twice as much torque and 130 more hp. My Titan is also as quick as a Raptor.

To put it more into perspective. My old Audi S4 had 320hp and 400 torque but 0-60 even though it had more traction was not much quicker then a proper M3. And the reason is that the BMW makes it's power for a much larger part of the RPM range then the Audi. The Audi would make all it's torque at around 2k RPM and then drop untill it was lower then an M3 by 4500 RPM.
    Last edited by somebody5788; 02-12-2015 at 10:08 AM.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Don't get a 320. All the weight of the 6 cylinder engine, little more power than the 4.

328 get way better mpg than 325.

To me that means you either go low or high.
    I would expect it is directly relevant, the 6 cylinder engines pretty much weigh the same and the 4 cylinders pretty much do too. Euro 325 is 192 and AFAIK the same spec as US being the only car to support the "stomp test" over here except for the missing bulb and wires past the engine loom. The 328 is 192 and the 320 is 150 compared with the 318IS having 140 for a much lighter engine. It's all relative if not directly applicable. I thought the US M3 was the only one to take a serious power drop.

I wasn't making any point about cars being fast, just comparisons relative to each other - power/weight and MPG.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    e36 - 1998 323is
    I would not go any lower in the line up than 318i with 4cyl DOHC M42B18. It might be lower on power but this is a happy reving powerpland with many cheap mods. It makes car feel faster than it is.
    With this motor you also do not have any issues as you would have with the 6cyl. You wont have to worry about cracked heads, leaking coolants and broken waterpumps.
    But if you can find 6 cyl car, then sure go ahead, even 320i is still good, with inly 10hp difference, buy you get proper 6cyl with increased TQ.
    323/325/328 will be better though.

Alway try getting the newer car with lesser miles, manual transmission and as little rust as possible rust (does not apply yo you)
    1998 323is - m50 intake manifold / 328is exhaust / Shark Injector

My Cars
    2001 325i
    They're not fast. But they're faster than 318's which was really what he was asking. Whoever thinks any of these cars is fast has never driven a fast car lol.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    They're not fast. But they're faster than 318's which was really what he was asking. Whoever thinks any of these cars is fast has never driven a fast car lol.
    It's bad when you drive a car with 420 wheel hp and still think it's slow..... This may have had something to do with traction loss though.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    2016 Mazda 3 Wagon

My Cars
    98 cosmo m3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cabdolla View Post
    Buy an M3, anything else isn't worth the repair costs.
    fixed

My Cars
    97' 328i, 95' 540i/6
    I'd like to add that its definitely worth your while to find a e36 with a manual transmission. I'm not sure why but every automatic e36 I've ever driven as felt very sluggish compared to its manual counterpart.

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Opinions obviously differ, but IMO a 328i is a very quick car. Regardless, drive a couple, 4 and 6 cylinder, if the 4 is adequate, fine, if you think it's gutless look for a 6. You have to make the call what's enough or not enough. Regardless of the engine, look for a nice car, not a cheap one. It's likely to be cheaper in the long run and easier to keep nice than make nice.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Buy an Non-US M3, anything else is crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by bay707 View Post
    fixed
    Fix fixed.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    Buy an M3, anything else is crap.
    I've driven a very low mile M3 and own the 328is with very high miles. The power difference is barely there. The differential is a nice addition to a 328 though.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    MY opinion is that 4 or 6 should not make a huge difference. The question is, automatic or manual? The answer is, manual. A 4-cylinder automatic should be a complete snooze-fest to drive, the 4 with a manual is a huge improvement. The 6 with an automatic is utilitarian at best, it will get you there. The 6 with a manual is pure joy, unless you are eating a cheese burger and texting, then it gets a bit tricky.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
    I've driven a very low mile M3 and own the 328is with very high miles. The power difference is barely there.
    The pictures of US M3 engines I have seen all look very like the M52. I don't see the vanos units I expected on the 3.0 or the 3.2 EVO. I know the US M3 has only one throttle body and the cams can be used in Euro 328s. Are they basically a larger CC tuned Euro 328?
    The 280 something BHP of the Euro 3.0 is very different to the 190BHP 328. That said allegedly the Euro 328 lost the M50 manifold for tax purposes and to keep a bigger performance gap.
    The differential is a nice addition to a 328 though.
    I don't know about you guys but a lot of early non-sport 328s over here on style 32 wheels came with the M3 LSD (different CWP)
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Fix fixed.
    Buy an M3, anything else is crap.
    Same body, panels, windows and a load of other stuff as anything else E36, same gearbox, LSD etc as 328.
    Seems to me the M3 is 80% "anything else" E36

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Are they basically a larger CC tuned Euro 328?
    Same body, panels, windows and a load of other stuff as anything else E36, same gearbox, LSD etc as 328.
    Seems to me the M3 is 80% "anything else" E36
    EXACTLY! This is why I went with an $1100 328is with no rust over a 5k+ M3 with potential rust. I have the sport seats that would have been in a "lux" M3 and pretty much anything the M3 has I could add to my car, have brand new paint, and still be ahead on the price on an M3.

The 328is and M3 are so close that the only thing you have to change if you want to do the engine swap is the computer. All the wiring is identical. I have a strong feeling that a 328is with tune to 7k RPM limiter and M3 ratio dif would be very close head to head which is sad given the fact that it's .4l difference.
    Last edited by somebody5788; 02-13-2015 at 02:42 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    EXACTLY! This is why I went with an $1100 328is with no rust over a 5k+ M3 with potential rust. I have the sport seats that would have been in a "lux" M3 and pretty much anything the M3 has I could add to my car, have brand new paint, and still be ahead on the price on an M3.

The 328is and M3 are so close that the only thing you have to change if you want to do the engine swap is the computer. All the wiring is identical.
    I have to say when I was looking to buy an E36 M3 I had a drive of my mates Imola Individual looking out through the same screen over the same bonnet at nearly the same dash and it felt like a properly sorted 328. Handles better, much quicker (Euro 3.2 EVO on brand new OEM suspension) but I could not spend £4K for one in same condition as my 328 or £6K for a good one for the difference. It wasn't a big enough difference for the spend.
    Last edited by E36328Coupe; 02-13-2015 at 02:48 PM.