Thread: Intermittent Transmission code 37 Sensor position, Clutch

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328i E46

Intermittent Transmission code 37 Sensor position, Clutch

Hey new to the Forum here, I did a search on that transmission code and found next to nothing, on here and on google.com. I have been having an intermittent trans code pop when in stop and go traffic or congestion. Auto Transmission is 5L40-E on 1999 BMW 328i. Other than popping the code and then going into limp mode, trans shifts up and down well after warming up. Only symptom I can think of that may possibly be related is on cold mornings, first start of the day, it is slow to move although it shifts when requested. After popping code, if I pull over, turn the car off and restart, cog disappears and trans is out of limp mode and fine again. Any ideas on what could possibly be my problem? I thought about trying to get trans fluid changed but got two off the wall answers. Out of the only two indy BMW trans shops here, only one is willing to do a fluid change and they want $500+ just for fluid change and cannot guarantee no problems after, and the second refuses to do a fluid change because of BMW's lifetime fluid and they said with mileage(168,000 miles) and unknown service it would be risky because the bands depend on the old fluid to function properly. I am the third owner of this car and I practically raised her from the dead. Previous owner bumped a car in front of her and lots of parts up front replaced by me. Car looks great, Engine is in like new condition. I really would like to know if anyone has encountered this issue and how to remedy it.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yes you will be taking a chance on loosening up sludge in the trans if you change the oil. However if it is on it's way out, why not? Most of the time you can get it done and it works out just fine, but like I said, you will chance that sludge build-up coming loose.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328i E46
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Yes you will be taking a chance on loosening up sludge in the trans if you change the oil. However if it is on it's way out, why not? Most of the time you can get it done and it works out just fine, but like I said, you will chance that sludge build-up coming loose.
    Thanks, Sorry it took so long to reply, but here's what I did. I changed the ATF fluid twice, turns out the ATF was low, about two quarts low which caused the code and limp home. Problem only occurred when braking. So I changed the fluid twice and it ran a lot better, no more slow cold slow moving starts in the morning. After a few days it felt like it was slipping when ever I stomped on the gas, well it turns out the slip was actually a missing engine. My first move was to check the plugs and low and behold, the plugs were the original plugs from the factory, never been changed and were in very bad shape. I changed them for new plugs. Now the car runs very well, no more slipping feeling, trans shifts up and down like brand-new, no codes what so ever. It would seem to me the transmission starts dumping atf through the breather hole when the viscosity of the fluid has become changed because of age. change in viscosity seems to alter performance greatly, and in some cases can even hide engine performance issues. I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to BMW Gm trannys, there is no such thing as lifetime fluid and it should be changed at regular intervals for a better performing trans.

My Cars
    2003 bmw x5, 2011 bmw 32
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony29 View Post
    Thanks, Sorry it took so long to reply, but here's what I did. I changed the ATF fluid twice, turns out the ATF was low, about two quarts low which caused the code and limp home. Problem only occurred when braking. So I changed the fluid twice and it ran a lot better, no more slow cold slow moving starts in the morning. After a few days it felt like it was slipping when ever I stomped on the gas, well it turns out the slip was actually a missing engine. My first move was to check the plugs and low and behold, the plugs were the original plugs from the factory, never been changed and were in very bad shape. I changed them for new plugs. Now the car runs very well, no more slipping feeling, trans shifts up and down like brand-new, no codes what so ever. It would seem to me the transmission starts dumping atf through the breather hole when the viscosity of the fluid has become changed because of age. change in viscosity seems to alter performance greatly, and in some cases can even hide engine performance issues. I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to BMW Gm trannys, there is no such thing as lifetime fluid and it should be changed at regular intervals for a better performing trans.
    i as well have been getting this code on my x5 2003 , weird thing is this code only pops up on my handheld scanner but not when i go to my mechanic freinds shop and plug in his ista program. i have been getting the failesafe tranny message and afterwards when plugging in the scanner this is what i get on the trans ecu section. another tidbit is that previously i was getting the trifecta lights got my abs module repaired and they all went away except for the brake light.. am wondering if this is causing the failesafe message. i will be changing brakes and brake sensors today in hope of removing the brake warning light and hopefully fixing this failesafe issue. i noticed you said you changed the plugs did you mean the spark plugs?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yes, he replaced the spark plugs. I think the chances of him coming back to confirm are very low, so this is what I would do. Get the ABS/DSC ECU scanned, for a brake wear sensor will not make all 3 lights come on.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member