Thread: Suggestions Front & Rear Pads/Rotors/Brake Lines/Fluid

98 M3 5-speed

I am going to replace my front and rear rotors and pads, as well as brake fluid and change to stainless steel braided brake lines. I was planning on going with the Euro 2 piece rotors up front and just replace the rear rotors with stock ones. I don't really know which pads to go with. I was looking for a pad that stopped better than stock, does not create alot of brake dust, and has minimal squeal. I was looking at the repco/pbr metal master pads, or the pagid sport, or maybe the porterfield pads. Should I use the same pads on the front and rear? Also, I don't know which brand of stainless steel braided brake lines to go with. I want some that bolt right up and do not require modification. What do you all have experience with on all of these items and how do u like them? Where would be a good place to purchase these items at a decent price? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Mark

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    I'm in the same situation and went with Rotex pads. I've heard nothing but good stuff about them in regards to dust, noise, rotor friendliness and braking ability. The Pagids were the other pads I was considering.
    You may be asking for too much when you ask for no dust and BETTER bite.
    Mesaperformance.com had some DOT approved stainless steel brake lines on sale for $75 a set.
    Don't forget the ATE Blue or Gold brake fluid.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    04 Jet Black E46 ///M3

Zimmerman Crossdrilled Rotors and Metal Masters

You can Zimmerman Rotors from ebay, and metal masters from Bavarian or BMP.

Originally posted by Mark C.
    98 M3 5-speed

I was looking for a pad that stopped better than stock, does not create alot of brake dust, and has minimal squeal.

Mark
    Yeah and I am looking for a women that doesn't talk to much, likes to change my oil and looks like the Dorito girl in the OT forum...

Just kidding :

My Cars
    F10 M5
    Bottom line is.. To have true performance stopping abilities(which an M3 has), most pads are going to generate some kind of dust. What you want to make sure is the dust comes off easlily... Some pads like the Hawks generate tar like dust that stains everything, even the paint.
    I like the Porterfield R4s, even though they make very cleanable dust, and they sqeal like quire boys. But the stop like hell! You need to watch who's behind you, cause these things make you feel like you have Brembo 6 pistons all around!
    G
    2013 MCB F10 M5 BMS
    2014 Rubicon
    2007 997 Turbo
    2011 C6 Z06
    2007 Shelby GT500

My Cars
    '95 M3
    Mark,

With stock rotors I'm running Bavarian Autosport SS brake lines. The install was straightforward, with good instructions, and the lines have worked well thru 4 driving schools and 30,000 miles of street driving. Installation was a no-brainer, but it requires making a simple slice into the rubber grommets that hold each brake line in place on the suspension arm so that you can slip them onto the lines. The larger-diameter ends of the SS brake lines won't fit thru the grommets.

I've run stock pads, PBR MetalMasters, and Pagid Sport pads. The MetalMasters are kinda hard on rotors. The PBRs dust is harder to clean. The Pagids dust quite a bit but they're silent. One thing that helps is to clean your rims thoroughly and put a protective coat of wax on 'em. The brake dust washes off much more easily that way.

I've heard good things about Performance Friction 90 pads as well, but I haven't tried 'em myself.

The ATE fluid is top notch. The Super Blue and the Gold are the same fluid, just different color. When changing the brake fluid you'll know you're done when the brake fluid changes color from old to new at each bleed point.

One last thing. I use the brake bleeder kit from BavAuto, and it works great.

Hope this helps.
    Avus Blue 95 M3
    260,000 original-owner miles, tracked monthly, driven daily

UUC WilwoodSuperlite4-WheelBigBrakeKitJTD/Bimmerworld/RRTBrake Cooling Ducts
    UUC ReinforcedTrannyMountsFront&RearStrutBracesMotorsportX-Brace
    ElectricFanDeleteTurnerMotorsportSkidPlateEdgeMotorworksGauges
    ISC N1 Track CoiloversSchroth Rally4 HarnessesISC Camber Plates
    Euro 6-speedUUC Stage 2 Flywheel/Power Clutchdiffsonline.com 3.64:1 Rear Diff
    TurnerFullChassisandSuspensionReinforcementKit

MemphisMotorsportsParkRoadAtlantaMichiganSpeedwayStLouisGatewayRacewayButtonwillowWillowSprings
    StreetsOfWillowCaliforniaSpeedwayPhoenixIntlRacewayArizonaMotorsportsParkFirebirdLasVegasMotorSpeedway
    LagunaSecaThunderhillParkSonomaRacewayBatangasCircuitPhilippinesSubicIntlRacewaySepangF1Circuit
    PahrumpSpringMountainMotorsportsRanchReno-FernleyRacewayPutnamParkNCMMPPittRaceMid-Ohio
    IndianapolisSpeedwayRoadCourse