Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E39 530i Auto to Manual transmission swap DME questions

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Simon. I can mainly be expert on 540 swapping but i am pretty confident same applies to your 530.

You have an either/or situation in the pix there. The pedal setup and switches changed around facelift / drive by wire time from the old physical switch style to the later "module" style which is a hall sensor. Your car, I would guess/bet, needs later style pedals and the hall sensor type switch. No you don't need the "bottom" switch part for start interlock (that can be disabled in software w US cars anyway) but you do need the "top" part of the switch module to work for cruise. Not exactly positive for your M54 DME but some ECU's will also throw a soft code if they never see the clutch switch activate.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E39 540iAT, E38 750i
    Geargrinder, thanks for your helpful reply!

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Simon. I can mainly be expert on 540 swapping but i am pretty confident same applies to your 530.
    Your swapping-thread has helped a lot 'til now! So, thanks for that documentatino, also!

You have an either/or situation in the pix there. The pedal setup and switches changed around facelift / drive by wire time from the old physical switch style to the later "module" style which is a hall sensor. Your car, I would guess/bet, needs later style pedals and the hall sensor type switch. No you don't need the "bottom" switch part for start interlock (that can be disabled in software w US cars anyway) but you do need the "top" part of the switch module to work for cruise. Not exactly positive for your M54 DME but some ECU's will also throw a soft code if they never see the clutch switch activate.
    So just to be sure: One can install either the physical switch or the hall sensor. When installing the hall sensor, then simply wire like that:

For some reasons I can not open the additional information, like plug positions etc, in WDS, therefore:
    The hall sensor is installed directly at the master clyinder, while the physical one is placed above the clutch pedal!? I have to take a look on my master clyinder.

UPDATE:
    There is absolutly no mounting possibility for the clutch module at my clutch master cylinder, which I bought new from Bosch. But there should be one, correct?
    Mine looks like this:

Thanks again!
    Simon
    Last edited by simpadic; 03-22-2015 at 01:03 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    yeah it all ties back to which pedal bracket style you have.

if you have the old pedal bracket, you need the old style clutch master, and the simple mechanical switch. the switch then is activated mechanically by the pedal like 99% of any old school brake/clutch pedal setup you've ever seen.

if you have the new pedal bracket you get the new clutch master and the hall sensor 'module'. this is activated internally by sensing the piston movement inside the clutch master.

here's a stolen pic from an E46 swap thread of the later style - all the later cars use same 'clip on' type deal. it's just a little flat spot on the side of the clutch master and the 'module' clips right onto it.

2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 540iAT, E38 750i
    Thanks for the pic and for your explanation!

yeah it all ties back to which pedal bracket style you have.
    And both, the hall sensor as well as the mechanical switch, would work with my DME? I thought the should transfer different signals and it therefore would depend on the production year of my car (or better: of my DME)?
    I'm asking again cause, if that would not be the case, I would simply install the old switch tomorrow and afterwards could begin the mechanical swap this week. Otherwise I obviously need to change my clutch master before that.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Simon - Did a little snooping around and AFAICT, no warranties express or implied, but seems the 530 had the clutch switch change in 9/2001. So while you have a DBW accelerator, you would not have the fancier later clutch module. So in theory the physical switch part should work fine for you.

HOWEVER, AFAICT also... I think you can go either way:
    • Looks to me like BMW specs the new setup for replacement regardless now - i.e. if you buy a new master cyl you get the new style w/ the clip option anyway. Thats why the adapter and the mechanical switch have the same receiver - you either plug a blue female plug into the pigtail thingy, or the switch directly. RealOEM doesnt list the old switches so my guess is if you need one they say you should upgrade to the new type. (the purple connector goes to the EWS lockout for USA cars so you'd just ignore that part of the pigtail).
    • Looks to me from WDS that the wiring is exactly the same (wire to pin 23 on DME X60004) and the text description (see below) doesn't indicate anything different depending on switch type. So that seems to confirm "either will work exactly the same as far as DME is concerned" and my theory about it being a supercession for maintenance/repair cases.
    • You do need the female blue connector to be wired up. That will have a wire to power, a wire to ground, and a wire to DME. However this is super easy as the ground and power are taken directly off the same wires for the brake light switch - they get power from the same fuse and ground to the same location. So you splice into those, and then just the DME wire needs to be run as a new one. (EDIT - by the way the trick here is to steal an old tranny computer wire to get signals from the cabin area to the ECU box.. the auto trans computer wiring harness is completely unnecessary afterwards so you might as well repurpose it for things you need vs. manually running wires up there which can be a PITA...)
    • Lastly. The only thing that the clutch switch matters for in your case is cruise. So if this is a hassle, you can totally just put the whole thing together now and worry about the clutch switch wiring later, you'll just not have cruise for a while. It will probably throw that fault code as I alluded to before but that won't matter a bit.

Good luck....

Clutch Switch

A switch is fitted on the clutch pedal for the purpose of registering clutch operation on vehicles with manual transmission.
    Function

The clutch switch switches to ground. The plausibility of the signal is checked together with cruise control.
    The following table shows how the signal behaves:
    Clutch switch is
    Clutch operated Open
    Clutch not operated Closed

Troubleshooting

A fault code is stored if the signal is not plausible. Cruise control is deactivated as a result.
    Last edited by geargrinder; 03-23-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 540iAT, E38 750i
    Simon - Did a little snooping around and AFAICT, no warranties express or implied, but seems the 530 had the clutch switch change in 9/2001. So while you have a DBW accelerator, you would not have the fancier later clutch module. So in theory the physical switch part should work fine for you.
    Thanks, geargrinder! Meanwhile BMW confirmed your assumption. The newer clutch module as well as the clutch master cylinder replaced the older ones. The also told me, that the are replacing the older cylinders and clutch switches to newer ones on pre-09/2001-cars, if needed.

I now took the newer versions, simply because I haven't got a plug for the older switches, but for the newer. Wiring is still not ready, due of some unforseen circumstances. But this gave me a little time to think about which cable could be used for clutch switch to dme. WDS told me that the Kick-Down-Switch would be perfect; it goes directly to pin 18 in the tranny computer

--
    But there is another problem with coding my car to a manual version. I use NCS-Expert and wanted to do the coding by changing the zcs-key (or more precisly: the SA-key as part of the zcs). To calculate the new key, I used BMW-Order v0.4D from maliboo.
    My SA-key is

21010C900F3407A4A (while A is the checksum)

The hex-code for steptronic is

The new SA-key without Steptronic is according to BMW-Order
    21000C900F3407A49 (while 9 is the checksum)

But coding EWS and IKE with that key does not eliminate steptronic. The PRND-symbols are still visible.

I also tried to calculate SA-key manually
    21010C900F3407A4 - 0202 =
    21010C900F3405A2

Can someone help me with that issue? Could someone for example verify, if one of my sa-keys is correct? Do I need to do a special routine, like for example: Coding - switch off ignition for 10sec - turn car key to pos. 1 - ... or something like that?

Would be very glad, if one of you could help me on that!

Thanks in advance!
    Simon

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah the option code you don't use directly mathematically like that. It gets mapped out to various bits... most likely (without looking) it seems like 0202 maps to the first bit of the 4th nibble from the left - i.e. that 1 to 0 change. You can dig into the DATEN files and wade through incredibly obtuse text files to try to confirm that but I suspect its correct.

- - - Updated - - -

PM me your whole ZCS - all 3 parts - and I'll check it w/ Zeko...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 540iAT, E38 750i
    Yeah the option code youCOLOR use directly mathematically like that. It gets mapped out to various bits... most likely (without looking) it seems like 0202 maps to the first bit of the 4th nibble from the left - i.e. that 1 to 0 change. You can dig into the DATEN files and wade through incredibly obtuse text files to try to confirm that but I suspect its correct.

- - - Updated - - -

PM me your whole ZCS - all 3 parts - and I'll check it w/ Zeko...
    Thanks again!

Found one row in E39ZST.000 in the Daten-folder that says:
    GM SA VN
    0202 00000000 0001000000000000 0000000000 1 SCHRITTSCHALT / Schrittschaltung für Automatkgetriebe

(I would translate that as "limited movement control device for automatic transmission")
    I guess, that again confirms your assumption, but would rather like to be sure.

Could it possibly be, that I also need to change GM from
    5E610000 to
    5E510000?

Cause fore 5E510000 the mentioned file says:
    DS 51 5E510000 TOUR M54B30 MAN LL // 530i Touring (09/00)

My GM-key reports
    DS 61 5E610000 TOUR M54B30 MAN LL // 530iA Touring (09/00)

Is there a step-by-step guide for zcs-changing? I find tons of coding-how-to's using that FSW_PSW-files, but no useful info for the zcs-writing-routine.

Greetings from a cold and windy Germany
    Simon
    Last edited by simpadic; 03-31-2015 at 05:50 PM.

My Cars
    E39 540iAT, E38 750i

Solved coding issues!

Hey there,

with tremendous help of geargrinder I solved the coding issue today. So just to not let that thread ask another question without any solution (like so many threads in german forums do), here it is:

Changing the the fourth digit of SA-key from "0" to "1" does not eliminate the automatic transmission. It simply kicks out steptronic. There should be a e39 version which came with automatic gear shift but no steptronic, at least in Europe, which one needs to be coded this way.
    That's why, I still could see the PRND symbols, but no "S", "1", or "5" in cluster: You got a non-steptronic automatic.
    The EWS is not effected by this change in SA-key, as far as I can see.

To code the car to manual transmission, one has to change the GM-key, as already stated above.

I would assume, that this in principle should be the same at all e39 (and probably far above the e39). So in my opninion and with empirical research not the SA-part of zcs-key is responsible for a auto-manual-swap in EWS and IKE, but the GM-part of zcs is. I doulbe-checked the text files you get by "CODIERDATEN_lesen" of both modules. Both files contain of a row, concerning the auto/manual-gear-shift. Both entries have been changed by GM-key, but haven't by SA-key - so I think, this is quite obvious.

Doing so, all previous functions are back again (besides: I do not really know, if there were absent), the car starts without EGS plugged in, and does same thing even in "D" or "R" (what shouldn't be the case, if EWS still expects a signal from the automativ gear shift, i.e. "P" or "N" for giving a start signal to the starter.

BTW: Fascinating, that these electronically overdressed monsters can even run without any EGS wiring

Maybe that helps someone out there - would be glad about feedback.

Greetings!
    Simon

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by simpadic View Post
    Hey there, with tremendous help of geargrinder I solved the coding issue today. So just to not let that thread ask another question without any solution (like so many threads in german forums do), here it is: Changing the the fourth digit of SA-key from "0" to "1" does not eliminate the automatic transmission. It simply kicks out steptronic. There should be a e39 version which came with automatic gear shift but no steptronic, at least in Europe, which one needs to be coded this way. That's why, I still could see the PRND symbols, but no "S", "1", or "5" in cluster: You got a non-steptronic automatic. The EWS is not effected by this change in SA-key, as far as I can see. To code the car to manual transmission, one has to change the GM-key, as already stated above. I would assume, that this in principle should be the same at all e39 (and probably far above the e39). So in my opninion and with empirical research not the SA-part of zcs-key is responsible for a auto-manual-swap in EWS and IKE, but the GM-part of zcs is. I doulbe-checked the text files you get by "CODIERDATEN_lesen" of both modules. Both files contain of a row, concerning the auto/manual-gear-shift. Both entries have been changed by GM-key, but haven't by SA-key - so I think, this is quite obvious. Doing so, all previous functions are back again (besides: I do not really know, if there were absent), the car starts without EGS plugged in, and does same thing even in "D" or "R" (what shouldn't be the case, if EWS still expects a signal from the automativ gear shift, i.e. "P" or "N" for giving a start signal to the starter. BTW: Fascinating, that these electronically overdressed monsters can even run without any EGS wiring Maybe that helps someone out there - would be glad about feedback. Greetings! Simon
    why dont you just only bought the PaSoft 1.4 and after 4 o 5 clicks your are done, coded from automatic to manual transmission?

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Last edited by champaign777; 04-01-2015 at 11:19 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
    why dont you just only bought the PaSoft 1.4 and after 4 o 5 clicks your are done, coded from automatic to manual transmission?
    there are different ways to skin a cat. PA would probably get the job done. "4 or 5 clicks" is an exaggeration but I know what you mean - would be a series of clicking around and ticking boxes.
    however, OP had no issues with his software, so he didn't need another software package - he had an issue figuring out what ZCS to use, and, he had neglected to fully unplug the EGS which is critical. once he figured that out it all went eazypeez.

personally I think for a situation like OP's, where he is replicating an actual BMW model (i.e. they made Euro market 530iT-MT's so there's a model code for it - very different story from a USA 540iT conversion which "never existed" so there's no proper codes for it...), using NCSExpert is far better as it will ensure you are recoding the modules with all options as factory intends and as other modules require. you likely can do it in PASoft but it requires picking off option changes one by one.

other reasons I don't like PA Soft for the job however include that people have had errors / issues with it not working properly (option tick boxes don't do what they are supposed to do) and so I use it with caution and prefer NCSExpert when in doubt.

so - yes, would work. but would not have been easier per se, and not as good a solution. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    uhhh wrong link? did you mean to post something else?
    Last edited by geargrinder; 04-02-2015 at 09:07 AM.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 540iAT, E38 750i
    @jdjg:
    Why I didn't use PA? Simply because I've never heard of it before.
    I'm not a coding expert and furthermore the first goal was to manage that auto-manual-swap. I knew that NCS could do the trick and I have played around with it a little before. So I basically used, what I already owned and knew a little.

@champaign777:
    I do not understand what you're trying to tell!?

Personally I think for a situation like OP's, where he is replicating an actual BMW model (i.e. they made Euro market 530iT-MT's so there's a model code for it - very different story from a USA 540iT conversion which "never existed" so there's no proper codes for it...), using NCSExpert is far better as it will ensure you are recoding the modules with all options as factory intends and as other modules require. you likely can do it in PASoft but it requires picking off option changes one by one.
    While scrolling thru the E39ZST.000 file, I made an interesting finding: Actually a GM-code for the US-540iT with M64B44 exists (as well as for US-530iT). Both are commented with "never been produced". So maybe, one could do the auto-manual-swap for both the same way I did, which I guess would be much easier. Would be interesting what happens, when coding a car using one of that GM-keys...

GM US-540iT:
    DJ53 59530000 TOUR M62B44 MAN LL US //540i Touring US (nie produziert)

GM US-530iT:
    DS53 5E530000 TOUR M54B30 MAN LL US //530i Touring US (nie produziert)

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    While scrolling thru the E39ZST.000 file, I made an interesting finding: Actually a GM-code for the US-540iT with M64B44 exists (as well as for US-530iT). Both are commented with "never been produced". So maybe, one could do the auto-manual-swap for both the same way I did, which I guess would be much easier. Would be interesting what happens, when coding a car using one of that GM-keys...

GM US-540iT:
    Wow. Cool, Si - thanks for that! I'm not going to mess with my working setup but if I was to do a fresh conversion for somebody I'd give that a try for sure! Wonder why I didn't notice that myself...wonder if my files have the entries (can't imagine they don't...) That would really make it easier on USA setups if you could just change that part of the ZCS then code the whole car, instead of having to use half-USA-sedan coding and half-USA-touring-auto coding...

Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    not sure whats going on with E46 links

try this one

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=659314
    Now that makes more sense.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i

GM US-540iT:

GM US-530iT:
    DS53 5E530000 TOUR M54B30 MAN LL US //530i Touring US (nie produziert)
    That's interesting, doesn't look like they bothered building one for the M62TUB44 manual touring though (would be DR53 if it existed). I wonder if it could be added. It would throw off dealer computers, but how many manual swapped E39 540iT owners would bother visiting the dealer again to have their cars recoded?

Planning a M54b25 to M54b30 swap in my friend's manual 525iT though, so it's good to know DS53 exists. And playing around with NCS Expert, it doesn't error out with that code
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 04-04-2015 at 12:48 PM.

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    Just as a side note on the clutch switch module. The "module" took the start-lock and cruise switch and incorporated them into one item. There is an adapter harness that connects the 2 single switch plugs to the "module". My M5 donor has the module and I'm using the old plunger style Hall effect for my cruise. I'm not using the start-lock. It's just a 12v signal nothing special.
    Trevor
    01 749i sporty, build 12/00 "Sports Barge",S62
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F
    81 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.8T,AWW
    03 VW Passat wagon 4.0 W8 6spd

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Well I did some digging, and it looks like E39ZST.000 is compiled into E39ZST.K00; it appears the .K00 is what NCS actually reads when translating ZCS codes into order options.

I've mostly figured out the format, except each entry has some sort of checksum that I haven't been able to figure out yet.

If anyone else wants to try and figure out the checksums, here are some valid entries (along with the corresponding uncompiled entries)

Code:
    H DR51 V0995 5D510000 0000000000000000 0000000000 1 TOUR M62B44 TU MAN LL  //540i TÜ Touring LL
    H DR51 V0597 5D510000 000000000E000400 0000000801 S TOUR M62B44 TU MAN LL  //540i TÜ Touring LL
    H DR51 V1199 5D510000 000008800E000480 0000000801 1 TOUR M62B44 TU MAN LL  //540i TÜ Touring LL
    DR51         5D510000 000008800E000480 0000000001 1 TOUR M62B44 TU MAN LL  //540i TÜ Touring LL (09/98)

2C08004452353100563039393500045D5100000800000000000000000500000000003105002C00B100100102002300F9
    2C08004452353100563131393900045D51000008000008800E0004800500000008013105002C00B100100102002300F7
    260A004452353100045D51000008000008800E0004800500000000013105002C00B100100102002300A1

H DR52 V0995 5D520000 0000000000000000 0000000000 1 TOUR M62B44 TU MAN RL  //540i TÜ Touring RL
    H DR52 V0597 5D520000 000000000E000480 0000000801 S TOUR M62B44 TU MAN RL  //540i TÜ Touring RL
    H DR52 V1199 5D520000 000008800E000480 0000000801 1 TOUR M62B44 TU MAN RL  //540i TÜ Touring RL
    DR52         5D520000 000008800E000480 0000000001 1 TOUR M62B44 TU MAN RL  //540i TÜ Touring RL (09/98)

2C08004452353200563039393500045D5200000800000000000000000500000000003105002C00B100100102003A00E0
    2C08004452353200563131393900045D52000008000008800E0004800500000008013105002C00B100100102003A00EE
    260A004452353200045D52000008000008800E0004800500000000013105002C00B100100102003A00B8

H DR61 V0995 5D610000 0000000000000000 0000000000 1 TOUR M62B44 TU AUT LL  //540iA TÜ Touring LL
    H DR61 V0597 5D610000 000100000E000400 0000000801 S TOUR M62B44 TU AUT LL  //540iA TÜ Touring LL
    H DR61 V1199 5D610000 000108800E000480 0000000801 1 TOUR M62B44 TU AUT LL  //540iA TÜ Touring LL
    DR61         5D610000 000108800E000480 0000000001 1 TOUR M62B44 TU AUT LL  //540iA TÜ Touring LL (09/98)

2C08004452363100563039393500045D6100000800000000000000000500000000003105002C00B100100104002300CC
    2C08004452363100563131393900045D61000008000108800E0004800500000008013105002C00B100100104002300C3
    260A004452363100045D61000008000108800E0004800500000000013105002C00B10010010400230095

H DR62 V0995 5D620000 0000000000000000 0000000000 1 TOUR M62B44 TU AUT RL  //540iA TÜ Touring RL
    H DR62 V0597 5D620000 000100000E000480 0000000801 S TOUR M62B44 TU AUT RL  //540iA TÜ Touring RL
    H DR62 V1199 5D620000 000108800E000480 0000000801 1 TOUR M62B44 TU AUT RL  //540iA TÜ Touring RL
    DR62         5D620000 000108800E000480 0000000001 1 TOUR M62B44 TU AUT RL  //540iA TÜ Touring RL (09/98)

2C08004452363200563039393500045D6200000800000000000000000500000000003105002C00B100100104003A00D5
    2C08004452363200563131393900045D62000008000108800E0004800500000008013105002C00B100100104003A00DA
    260A004452363200045D62000008000108800E0004800500000000013105002C00B100100104003A008C

H DR63 V0995 5D630000 0000000000000000 0000000000 1 TOUR M62B44 TU AUT LL US //540iA TÜ Touring US
    H DR63 V0597 5D630000 000008000E020410 0000000801 S TOUR M62B44 TU AUT LL US //540iA TÜ Touring US
    H DR63 V1199 5D630000 000108800E024410 0000000801 1 TOUR M62B44 TU AUT LL US //540iA TÜ Touring US
    H DR63 V0900 5D630000 000108800E024410 0000000001 1 TOUR M62B44 TU AUT LL US //540iA TÜ Touring US
    DR63         5D630000 00010C900E024410 0000000001 1 TOUR M62B44 TU AUT LL US //540iA TÜ Touring US (09/98)

2E08004452363300563039393500045D6300000800000000000000000500000000003106002C00B1001001040023000800C5
    2E08004452363300563131393900045D63000008000108800E0244100500000008013106002C00B100100104002300080018
    2E08004452363300563039303000045D63000008000108800E0244100500000000013106002C00B100100104002300080019
    280A004452363300045D6300000800010C900E0244100500000000013106002C00B100100104002300080056
    And I'm trying to create the following entries (checksum represented by ??)

Code:
    H DR53 V0995 5D530000 0000000000000000 0000000000 1 TOUR M62B44 TU MAN LL US //540i TÜ Touring US
    H DR53 V0597 5D530000 000008000E020410 0000000801 S TOUR M62B44 TU MAN LL US //540i TÜ Touring US
    H DR53 V1199 5D530000 000008800E024410 0000000801 1 TOUR M62B44 TU MAN LL US //540i TÜ Touring US
    H DR53 V0900 5D530000 000008800E024410 0000000001 1 TOUR M62B44 TU MAN LL US //540i TÜ Touring US
    DR53         5D530000 00000C900E024410 0000000001 1 TOUR M62B44 TU MAN LL US //540i TÜ Touring US (09/98)

2E08004452353300563039393500045D5300000800000000000000000500000000003106002C00B1001001020023000800??
    2E08004452353300563131393900045D53000008000008800E0244100500000008013106002C00B1001001020023000800??
    2E08004452353300563039303000045D53000008000008800E0244100500000000013106002C00B1001001020023000800??
    280A004452353300045D5300000800000C900E0244100500000000013106002C00B1001001020023000800??
    Edit: Found I had misformatted the data a bit, turns out the checksum is only 1 byte, not 2 bytes. So it's probably much easier than I realized. Looks sort of like the intel-hex checksum calculation
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 04-07-2015 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Found some errors in formatting

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Terra, if you figure that out, I'd really like an e38 facelift 740i with S62b50, manual ZCS code. It would be really cool if once it's in there that ISTA-D would detect it properly. Not essential, but would be really cool.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    That will be tougher to implement since the S62b50 isn't an order option that's implemented in the E38 files.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by 007008 View Post
    Just as a side note on the clutch switch module. The "module" took the start-lock and cruise switch and incorporated them into one item. There is an adapter harness that connects the 2 single switch plugs to the "module". My M5 donor has the module and I'm using the old plunger style Hall effect for my cruise. I'm not using the start-lock. It's just a 12v signal nothing special.
    Yeah Trevor I theorized from looking at current part catalogs that BMW current policy seems to be to replace old style clutch masters & switches with the new ones on these cars, and Simon confirmed that w/ his dealer I think.

Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Well I did some digging, and it looks like E39ZST.000 is compiled into E39ZST.K00; it appears the .K00 is what NCS actually reads when translating ZCS codes into order options.
    Edit: Found I had misformatted the data a bit, turns out the checksum is only 1 byte, not 2 bytes. So it's probably much easier than I realized. Looks sort of like the intel-hex checksum calculation
    Neat stuff. Let us know if you get it figured out - would be great to have that as an option. I might even write the "DR53" ZCS into my car (without doing a full car code) just in case somebody at some point in the future foolishly clicks on a recode button in ISTA or something. Almost happened to me once before - of course if they did I'd lose all my custom codes but at least it wouldn't make the cluster go back to auto or the tailgate stop unlocking etc.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Well I can't figure out the checksum. Doesn't appear to be anything too simple. It's not a simple xor, addition, or complements of the above

- - - Updated - - -

Well I sort of got it. I figured out an algorithm that was valid for the US auto 540iT, and that same algorithm worked fine for the newly created US manual 540iT facelift. The algorithm doesn't seem to apply to the other entries... but who cares as long as we added the entries we wanted? For those of you who are computer minded, the algorithm that worked for me was xor'ing 8 with and all the bytes together -- I built a quick program to just cycle through different starting values until a checksum match was found. But apparently I'm missing something since that doesn't work for every single entry.

I've attached a modified E39ZST.K00 file (drop the ".txt" extension). If you add this file to your E39 daten folder, you should be able to change your GM string to "5D53" which now corresponds to a manual 540iT. I've confirmed that the settings NCS generates with this GM are for a US-spec manual V8 touring.

Now if you change your ZCS and try reading things on a system without the modified K00 file, NCS will simply error out. And I imagine dealer computers will error out too. But the way I see it, that's a protective effect. Your car won't be accidentally recoded to auto or non-touring specs.

E39ZST.K00.txt

Usual disclaimers apply - backup your original file, and don't blame me if anything goes wrong.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 05-06-2015 at 04:55 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Cool. Great work. I think i will change my ZCS for exactly that reason. Perfect. Thanks man! As always a star...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 540iAT, E38 750i
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Well I sort of got it. I figured out an algorithm that was valid for the US auto 540iT, and that same algorithm worked fine for the newly created US manual 540iT facelift. The algorithm doesn't seem to apply to the other entries... but who cares as long as we added the entries we wanted? For those of you who are computer minded, the algorithm that worked for me was xor'ing 8 with and all the bytes together -- I built a quick program to just cycle through different starting values until a checksum match was found. But apparently I'm missing something since that doesn't work for every single entry.

I've attached a modified E39ZST.K00 file (drop the ".txt" extension). If you add this file to your E39 daten folder, you should be able to change your GM string to "5D53" which now corresponds to a manual 540iT. I've confirmed that the settings NCS generates with this GM are for a US-spec manual V8 touring.

Now if you change your ZCS and try reading things on a system without the modified K00 file, NCS will simply error out. And I imagine dealer computers will error out too. But the way I see it, that's a protective effect. Your car won't be accidentally recoded to auto or non-touring specs.

E39ZST.K00.txt

Usual disclaimers apply - backup your original file, and don't blame me if anything goes wrong.
    That's great! Would you let me see the algorithm? I'm just curious about it and would like to play a little with it.

---

Well, first I wanted to let you know, that my auto-manual-swap is finally done - at least the physical or mechanical part went well and I'm cruising with a continuous big grin!
    So: THANK'S A LOT FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

But there still is a coding issue: The DSC-lamp now is permanently on and the DME stores an error, concerning the CAN-communication to the EGS-unit.

My thoughts and assumptions on that so far:
    The DME still is looking for the Auto-Tranny, cause the software is determined by the kind of transmission. I probably would need to flash the DME to a DS51-software to get rid of the DME-error.
    As far as I know and understood correctly, I need to know the part number of my DME and of the latest manual-530iT-DME. The last 7 digits indicate the software-version running on it. Is that correct?
    But there is absolutely no difference between the DS61 and DS51 DME, according to realoem and several other parts catalogues. The latest version is always 7 545 548.

Here are the links:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_1080
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_1080

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3..._control_unit/
    http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3..._control_unit/

What am I doing wrong or where did I made an error in reasoning? Would be very glad, if you could help me with that issue!

---

The DSC -lamp should have the same cause as the DME-error or at least would it be a waste of time, to fix that, as long as the CAN-communication is faulty.

---

Cruise Control is not working. But here I can't see a link to the DME-error. But I should double-check the clutch-switch wiring at first.

Now, I finish the wiring of the reverse-gear-switch while thinking about the other issue(s).

Greetings,
    Simon

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, seems that I fixed the DME-error by deleting all adaptations after I reseted the error storage. The CAN-EGS-error didn't come up again. So, like mentioned in the first post of this thread, a DME-flash will probably not be necessary.

But DSC-unit stores a similar error which can't be deleted ("communication with EGS - timeout"). Could it possibly be, that I need to code DSC-unit manually again, although I did a coding of all control units with the new ZCS key?

Marginal question:
    Should I think about a DME-update for any other reasons or would you advise to never touch a running system?

Thanks again and greeting!
    Simon

- - - Updated - - -

Another fix: DSC unit needed to be recoded with the new ZCS key. Either I simply forgot the DSC unit the first time or it didn't work and I just didn't notice. However, now DSC is fine.

Greetings
    Simon
    Last edited by simpadic; 05-16-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Updated

My Cars
    '02 530i 5 speed swap
    My manual swap is finally done. Car drives beautifully. Only things I have to work out now is getting cruise control functionality back and wiring up my reverse lights. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast