Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: E39 530i Auto to Manual transmission swap DME questions

My Cars
    '02 530i 5 speed swap

E39 530i Auto to Manual transmission swap DME questions

I know there is a plenty of threads asking the same question, "Is it possible to swap a manual transmission into an automatic E39?"
    I've searched far and wide and haven't gotten clear answers to what needs to be done in order to successfully swap my 2002 530i from a automatic to manual.
    I'm not concerned about the price aspect, and I know that its not worth it and that I should sell my car and buy another E39 with a manual trans.

I know all the parts that I'll need to do the swap (ie: pedals, master/slave cylinder, 5 speed manual transmission, different drive shaft, etc. etc.) that is not what this thread is concerning.

Here is my question.
    What are my options DME wise in order to do the swap successfully? and what would I do with my automatic transmission computer thats currently in the car?
    If I were to use the DME currently in the car, what programming/reflashing would be required so that I do not get a trans failsafe error?

Also, since manual 530i's were available in Europe, would it be theoretically possible to use a DME/instrument cluster from a European 530i with a factory equipped manual trans?
    (Piggyback question) would a dme/instrument cluster from a manual 530i from England w/right hand drive work?

Thanks!

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by henryki View Post
    I know there is a plenty of threads asking the same question, "Is it possible to swap a manual transmission into an automatic E39?"
    I've searched far and wide and haven't gotten clear answers to what needs to be done in order to successfully swap my 2002 530i from a automatic to manual.
    I'm not concerned about the price aspect, and I know that its not worth it and that I should sell my car and buy another E39 with a manual trans.

I know all the parts that I'll need to do the swap (ie: pedals, master/slave cylinder, 5 speed manual transmission, different drive shaft, etc. etc.) that is not what this thread is concerning.

Here is my question.
    What are my options DME wise in order to do the swap successfully? and what would I do with my automatic transmission computer thats currently in the car?
    If I were to use the DME currently in the car, what programming/reflashing would be required so that I do not get a trans failsafe error?

Also, since manual 530i's were available in Europe, would it be theoretically possible to use a DME/instrument cluster from a European 530i with a factory equipped manual trans?
    (Piggyback question) would a dme/instrument cluster from a manual 530i from England w/right hand drive work?

Thanks!
    DME wise you don't need to change anything. Just clear the adaptions. The ms43 is smart enough to figure out whether it should be in auto or manual mode. It sets the mode when adaptions are cleared.

Manual 530s were available in the US too. You shouldn't need any parts from Europe. Just remove the automatic option code from your SA, and recode the relevant modules

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Didn't know that, Terra. I mean, who would have thought to program the modules to look and see who their network-mates are without hardcoding it? (spoiler: it was Chrysler in 1988) Does the MS42 have the same feature?

/.randy

My Cars
    '02 530i 5 speed swap
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    DME wise you don't need to change anything. Just clear the adaptions. The ms43 is smart enough to figure out whether it should be in auto or manual mode. It sets the mode when adaptions are cleared.

Manual 530s were available in the US too. You shouldn't need any parts from Europe. Just remove the automatic option code from your SA, and recode the relevant modules
    Thanks for the info! How would I go about removing the automatic option? Using WinkFP? And this might be a dumb question, but what do you mean by relevant modules? And what would I recode them with exactly?

My Cars
    1996 BMW 523i
    Curious to know if this works out for you. I am looking to buy a 530i, and will subsequently be interested in the swap.

Manual E39s don't exist in my country (except the M5).

My Cars
    '01 540i/6, '98 528i/5
    Hardest part of the swap is finding someone to do the proper coding.
    Feels real good when you get to do this...
    6 spd swap, M5 diff, M5 steering box, B&G springs, G.A.S. Monoballs, M5 rear chasis braces, Eibach rear swaybar, EBC red brk pads, EBC slotted rear rotors,
    StopTech frt rotors, StopTech brk hoses, aFe CAI, 4" MAF, M60 Manifold, N62 Throttle Body, DUDMD Stg 2+ w/ SAP & EWS Deletes,
    muffler delete w/ Magnaflow tips, 18x8/9 style 69, BMW lip spoiler, Hella G4 projectors, & 1.4 bar coolant cap.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Didn't know that, Terra. I mean, who would have thought to program the modules to look and see who their network-mates are without hardcoding it? (spoiler: it was Chrysler in 1988) Does the MS42 have the same feature?
    I think so, but I'm not 100% sure about the ms42

Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    Hardest part of the swap is finding someone to do the proper coding.
    Feels real good when you get to do this...
    Really it's not that bad to DIY the coding. I can probably do it all in 30 mins give or take depending on the model

My Cars
    '02 530i 5 speed swap
    Found a guy who has done the adaptations successfully on multiple E46 330's and 325's for an auto to manual swap, even keeping cruise control functionality

since the 330i uses the same motor and trans, will there be any issues/differences with removing adaptations on the e39 ms43 vs the e46 that could cause a problem?

how/where would I wire in the clutch pedal switch and reverse light wire?
    Last edited by henryki; 02-09-2015 at 04:56 PM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    DME wise you don't need to change anything. Just clear the adaptions. The ms43 is smart enough to figure out whether it should be in auto or manual mode. It sets the mode when adaptions are cleared
    Really! Dont even have to reflash the DME? Thats cool.

how/where would I wire in the clutch pedal switch and reverse light wire?
    Hit up the WDS on BMW planet. I could tell you exactly how w a facelift 540, cant be sure of the 530 w/o checking, but i bet its roughly the same as the E39M62TU or E46M3 aka there's a hall sensor clutch switch that has 2 wires - to the EWS and the DME, and then a single reverse switch line from the tranny. All the details are crystal clear in the WDS.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Really! Dont even have to reflash the DME? Thats cool.
    Right - only for the ms42/43 however. The Bosch ME7.2 and MSS54 needs to be flashed

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    heh heh. don't have to tell me that part.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '02 530i 5 speed swap
    Hit up the WDS on BMW planet. I could tell you exactly how w a facelift 540, cant be sure of the 530 w/o checking, but i bet its roughly the same as the E39M62TU or E46M3 aka there's a hall sensor clutch switch that has 2 wires - to the EWS and the DME, and then a single reverse switch line from the tranny. All the details are crystal clear in the WDS.

thanks! I'll be looking into it and ordering parts and going to the junkyard this week prepping for the swap.

If anyone is interested in a good A5S310Z automatic trans with 125k miles on it, with a bad torque converter, it is for sale! Lol
    (the reverse drum on the trans is still good)

- - - Updated - - -

As for flywheel options, I want to go with a single mass mainly due to the cost factor associated with having a dual mass flywheel, plus not being able to resurface a dual mass is something I would like to avoid. I know valeo sells a single mass flywheel kit that includes the flywheel + hardware + clutch kit. But being a college kid I want to try and save some money if possible.

I've been reading that a M20 flywheel will work with the M54? If I were to go that route would a clutch kit for an M20 work with the S5D-320Z tranny that will be replacing my autotragic? (I know that I would have to swap starters as well to work with the different flywheel)
    Any suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by henryki; 02-10-2015 at 04:18 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Look at JB Racing LWFW. Good price, quality items. Love mine on the 540iT. You prob want to be sure you then get a sprung clutch however, if you are going away from the dualmass (axe me how I know).
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '02 530i 5 speed swap
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely look into JB Racing.

My Cars
    '02 530i 5 speed swap
    Just picked up an entire swap kit for $800 locally. Gonna replace all the bushings + seals etc. the flywheel and clutch look ok but I think I want to put a new one on there. I've been reading a little bit of the M20 flywheel being able to fit on the m52, so will that also work on an m54? The only reason I bring it up is that clutch kits are much cheaper for the the m20 and the fact that it is single mass and much lighter also seems appealing. I know that a starter from an m20 would also have to be swapped.

Or does someone have a single mass flywheel for an m54 that they don't mind selling to me?

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    I dis this swap to my car and you only need to do this: - bought the PaSoft 1.4 scanner - in the PaSoft you need to go to EWS and check there you have manual transmision - in the PaSoft you need to go to IKE (aka cluster) and check you have manual transmission - in the PaSoft in the DME you need to align the EWS with the DME and thats it, your car are bow manual enjoy your "new" ride

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
    I dis this swap to my car and you only need to do this: - bought the PaSoft 1.4 scanner - in the PaSoft you need to go to EWS and check there you have manual transmision - in the PaSoft you need to go to IKE (aka cluster) and check you have manual transmission - in the PaSoft in the DME you need to align the EWS with the DME and thats it, your car are bow manual enjoy your "new" ride
    For US cars, the EWS will still say automatic when coded properly.

My Cars
    '01 540i/6, '98 528i/5
    Just picked up an entire swap kit for $800 locally. Gonna replace all the bushings + seals etc. the flywheel and clutch look ok but I think I want to put a new one on there. I've been reading a little bit of the M20 flywheel being able to fit on the m52, so will that also work on an m54? The only reason I bring it up is that clutch kits are much cheaper for the the m20 and the fact that it is single mass and much lighter also seems appealing. I know that a starter from an m20 would also have to be swapped.

Or does someone have a single mass flywheel for an m54 that they don't mind selling to me?
    You should have better answers to the flywheel question in the e46 section and on roadfly.com. Also when I did the swap on the 528, we had to swap diffs as the auto had a 4.10 and did not need to swap axle shafts.

And for those who want to do the swap for 97-98 e39, the guy who did the wiring made a video for the clutch switches. After replacing rear whl spd sensor, the only warning light on is the yellow trans gear warning.
    6 spd swap, M5 diff, M5 steering box, B&G springs, G.A.S. Monoballs, M5 rear chasis braces, Eibach rear swaybar, EBC red brk pads, EBC slotted rear rotors,
    StopTech frt rotors, StopTech brk hoses, aFe CAI, 4" MAF, M60 Manifold, N62 Throttle Body, DUDMD Stg 2+ w/ SAP & EWS Deletes,
    muffler delete w/ Magnaflow tips, 18x8/9 style 69, BMW lip spoiler, Hella G4 projectors, & 1.4 bar coolant cap.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    For US cars, the EWS will still say automatic when coded properly.
    yes, your are totally right, I forgot that, but anyway, thats what he need to do instead to use his car properly with the manual transmission, the easy way to code the car

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    one more thing, the differentials are different, between manual and automatic transmission, so you need to found the 2.93 manual differential, ask me how I learn this....

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    '02 530i 5 speed swap
    one more thing, the differentials are different, between manual and automatic transmission, so you need to found the 2.93 manual differential, ask me how I learn this....

Thanks for for the heads up! I'll be on the look out for one. How hard is it to swap out?

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Are driveshafts different too I assume? Usually the autos are a lot longer than the manual boxes. For sure the case w the V8 setups....
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Are driveshafts different too I assume? Usually the autos are a lot longer than the manual boxes. For sure the case w the V8 setups....
    yes. driveshaft differs in length also in tho bolts that attach to the differential

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Thanks for for the heads up! I'll be on the look out for one. How hard is it to swap out?
    pretty easy

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    E39 540iAT, E38 750i
    Hello everybody,

I have to do a auto-to-manual-transmission-swap on my 06/2001 e39 530i Touring, due to a killed automatic transmission. I now have all the parts needed for that, so mechanically there are no questions left. Also the coding by changing the ZCS-key an updating the critical control units are fairly clear for me.
    What I am wondering about, is the wiring of the clutch switch. My e39 is a European or more specific a German version, so the one switch operating safe-start is not built-in and wiring the EWS is therefore not necessary.
    The other one (it is the newer, 3-pin switch) I ordered at BMW and they told me, I would also need a so-called "clutch switch module" and an adapter-cable for wiring the clutch switch correctly. Now, in all threads I read about similar swaps, I've never heard about anything beyond the actual clutch switch. I simply would have wired pin 2 of the clutch switch to pin 23 of the dme, one of the other both pins to power and the third one to ground. But now I'm pretty unsure, what about to do with that module? Can anyone help me with that? I would not be surprised, if BMW gave me incorrect information. Maybe the module came for newer versions or only with 6-speed-transmission or something else.

Here are two pictures of what I bought:

(The black one is what BMW calls the clutch-switch module. The black male plug fits into the module. The blue female plug is identical to the one at the clutch switch.)

In the WDS I can find both, a clutch switch and a clutch switch module. Still it remains unclear for me, how to wire both (and if really needed).

Thank you in advance for helping me to solve that last issue!

Greetings from Bamberg, Germany
    Simon

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast