Avus Autosport

Thread: San Diego airbag light reset tool

My Cars
    1997 e36 328i sedan

San Diego airbag light reset tool

Anyone in SD have a tool that can reset the airbag malfunction lamp AND who would like a 6 pack of your choice? I keyed the ignition with the seat out. Thnx

My Cars
    2016 Mazda 3 Wagon
    I have on PM me, and join the Socal BMW facebook page, im an admin.

My Cars
    E90 330i sports sedan
    I will be in SD this wkend, I will bring my cable and laptop. I should be able to take care of that for you.

My Cars
    1997 e36 328i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by cabdolla View Post
    I have on PM me, and join the Socal BMW facebook page, im an admin.
    Thanks man, appreciate it. I'll send you a PM. I found a lot of SoCal BMW pages/groups; got a link to yours?

My Cars
    BMW 318i 1997 E36
    Hi everyone new to the forum here in San Diego. I recently bought an 1996 318i E36 salvage (I'm used to buying salvage under my budget) but it was a one owner and I saw the pictures from the accident and they were all from the rear. Anyhow I am trying to get it re registered but now after working on another few details all of the sudden my airbag ligjt came on. I'm really frustrated because I don't think it will pass inspection and I did check this when I bought the car. Is there anyone in San Diego that has the tool to reset it just to have it pass the DMV inspection? I would gladly appreciate any help! Beer or any other beverage included!

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    If it triggered because of a legitimate fault, then resetting it isn't going to help you. It will simply come back on within a few seconds of resetting it. You need to scan it and get the fault code, then fix that problem before resetting.

Did you remove or unplug the seats or any of the airbags while working on the car?

The easiest (and certainly the safest) way to prevent airbag lights from triggering is to unplug the negative battery terminal EVERY time you work on any part of a vehicle that's connect to the electrical system.

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    BMW 318i 1997 E36
    I've been working on the tailights that are not turning on especially the brake lights. When the light came up my gf was switching from passenger to driver seat from the inside instead of going around which I told her not to do because it stains the leather!!! After a few mintures after this I noticed light came on. She did stall the car but other than that the car was running and light was not on. Do you think this could have triggered it?

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    I don't think that would've caused it. Check your fault code, and it'll will tell you exactly which airbag circuit is triggered...then go from there.

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignalizarralde View Post
    I've been working on the tailights that are not turning on especially the brake lights. When the light came up my gf was switching from passenger to driver seat from the inside instead of going around which I told her not to do because it stains the leather!!! After a few mintures after this I noticed light came on. She did stall the car but other than that the car was running and light was not on. Do you think this could have triggered it?
    It's less likely that engine stall would cause SRS light. I bet the sensor in the seats are tapped or became lose which triggered the SRS light when your gf switched seats. As Danomite mentioned, check with quality scanner first. If everything looks right, then reset the SRS. PM me if you still need to reset the SRS. =)
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    For a 1996 model the cheapo SRS diagnostic tool made in China works, model is B800 , costs usually on Ebay less than $20. I have used it on my 1998 E36 M3 successfully to diagnose the fault and after repairing the fault to reset the light.
    It does NOT work on BMW built before 1994/5, same like the Peake SRS code tool, Peake mentions that especially on their website, while some offers on Ebay for the cheapo B800 made in China do not mention this. I have tested the B800 on some E32 7 series, built up to 03/1994, it did NOT work.
    I assume the same fault as in my M3, pass seat occupancy mat broken. I solved it with an emulator, BMW Airbag Bypass Seat Occupancy Sensor Mat Emulator E46E36E38E39E60E65M3M5Z3X5
    or google for How to bypass BMW Passenger Seat Occupancy Mat sensor for passenger Airbag
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!