Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small block chevy 350 E36 swap power steering

My Cars
    96 328i, 92 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris951 View Post
    I was using cookie cutter in terms of the lacking character. Everyone and their mother throws a 350 into everything because it's easy. Plus, they're turds.
    There's a reason you see people throwing 350's into their cars on domestic projects etc. For one they're a dime a dozen and parts are very cheap/easy to find/readily available. 2. It's a tried and true motor, it's not a Ford motor "puke".

You don't see people throwing 302's or 351's into their cars because those are the turd motors, get your facts straight buddy. I'd eat my hat if you were right, but you're not.
    Last edited by DotBeta; 02-08-2015 at 11:32 AM.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by DotBeta View Post
    There's a reason you see people throwing 350's into their cars on domestic projects etc. For one they're a dime a dozen and parts are very cheap/easy to find/readily available. 2. It's a tried and true motor, it's not a Ford motor "puke".

You don't see people throwing 302's or 351's into their cars because those are the turd motors, get your facts straight buddy. I'd eat my hat if you were right, but you're not.
    Clearly you have no experience with American small blocks lol.

My Cars
    96 328i, 92 318i
    Clearly you have no experience with American small blocks lol.
    hahaha I actually came back to edit my post and turn the other cheek because I was going to try and avoid this, but here you are.

Lets put aside the 3rd gen Camaro's, Transam's, 1970 Nova SS, 68 Ipmpala SS, Stingray Corvette and ZR1 Lingenfelter Vette "1990" I've owned, restored and built in the past. Or the countless 350 blocks I've built with friends for my/their cars in the span of 13 years. The one's I've turboed and juiced that got me into the 10's in the 1/4 mile. Lets look past all that and reread your statement.

I'm saying Ford motors suck, you're taking punches directly at me, I'm sorry if I upset you but the truth hurts. Granted I helped a friend twin turbo an 89 Mustang GT and got him to the 11's. I've also ground up restored 60's Mustangs, 70's fastbacks and a slew of other Fords at the shop I work at. But in the end Chevy takes the cake, I just find their motors to be overall the better builder.

What can you say for yourself?

P.S. I just noticed you live in Arizona as well, shame it's come down to this would have been nice to know a few fellow bimmer owners near me lol. Alas the Ford/Chevy rivalry has stuck again, in a Bimmer forum of all places hahaha, can't we all just get along?
    Last edited by DotBeta; 02-08-2015 at 12:16 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Hm, ill chime in..

Both ford and chevy have made some very nice engines, as well as some real turds. I have a strong dislike for domestic ANYTHING when it comes to cars, with the exception of the lsx engines. Those are without a doubt a VERY nice line of engines.

Now in regards to this thread, I think putting a chevy 350 in an e36 is kind of dumb. That is only MY opinion though. I think adding an extra 200+ lbs over the front wheels of a car that was designed around HANDLING is a mistake.

But its YOUR car and if thats what you want, well hell yeah.

With that said, if you are capable of putting a chevy 350 into an e36 chassis, fabricating a bracket for the BMW ps pump should be the least of your concerns. There will be real challenges when it comes to fabrication for a swap like this. A bracket for a ps pump should be a cake walk comparatively..

My Cars
    96 328i, 92 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Hm, ill chime in..

Both ford and chevy have made some very nice engines, as well as some real turds. I have a strong dislike for domestic ANYTHING when it comes to cars, with the exception of the lsx engines. Those are without a doubt a VERY nice line of engines.

Now in regards to this thread, I think putting a chevy 350 in an e36 is kind of dumb. That is only MY opinion though. I think adding an extra 200+ lbs over the front wheels of a car that was designed around HANDLING is a mistake.

But its YOUR car and if thats what you want, well hell yeah.

With that said, if you are capable of putting a chevy 350 into an e36 chassis, fabricating a bracket for the BMW ps pump should be the least of your concerns. There will be real challenges when it comes to fabrication for a swap like this. A bracket for a ps pump should be a cake walk comparatively..
    LS motors are nice but that's where the affordability takes a hit, it's no longer cheap to mod it and the price to power ratio isn't worth it imo. I've put a Corvette LS6 motor in a 240SX drift car gutted and changed/tubular frame reinforced and got a ride from the owner after finishing it, left a brown streak in my shorts that thing was insane lol. Here are a couple of instagram pics i took of it after I finished it. Yes I did the fender wells as well.

I also have done my share of 2JZ swaps that I also have pictures of. My 92 BMW, GSXR 1k and 87 VW Scirocco are the only things I've owned that were not domestic lol. I might have come off harsh regarding Ford motors but that's just the Chevy boy in me, truth is roll with what you want wether that be ford/chevy/fiat whatever the hell floats your boat lol. If someone has a different opinion on where you stand roll with the punches and move on.

Back on topic, yeah OP is gonna have a hell of a time getting that motor seated, LOTS of custom fabbing underway.

Hey Chris I also have pics of the mustangs I've restored and a nice cobra motor I've built if you wanna see those, you'll cream your pants, here's a teaser.

Sorry for the cheesy instagram pics but it's all I have access to atm.
    Last edited by DotBeta; 02-08-2015 at 11:34 PM.

My Cars
    1988 bmw 535i
    Ok I guess I' ll be honest with you guys, its actually an 88' E28 drift car, I got a SBC gen 1, built top end, I'm building the bottom end right now (crank, pustons, rods) and boring .40 over so it'll be a 357 instead of a 350 with approx 12:1 compression.

The reason why I'm in E36 section is because I'm also swapping an E36 front end into it (from brakes, suspension, rack, front subframe ,steering column, everything). Its a bit crazy but as you may or may not know, e28s came with a steering box, the rack it self will be an upgrade plus E36 has a huge aftermarket support which means SLR steering angle kit in the future and if anything breaks I'll just go to the junk yard

I just picked up a GM muncie m21 4 speed trans from a '64 corvette. probably have to make a custom drives haft, not sure if my rear end can handle 350+ whp so a ford 9in rear end will be considered depending on money.

thanks for the help at least the ones that did haha I'll probably make a bracket for the ps pump, the block is vbelt and the pump is serpentine, so custom pulley?

Also another question, what is the bore of an e36 non-m3 clutch master cylinder, i googled and I'm getting 3/4in? or are those just M3s?
    Last edited by Ndanny718; 02-08-2015 at 01:29 PM.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    I know I'm a bit late to the whole SBF vs SBC debate but at least a 350 block will make it past 500hp before it splits in half *cough* 5.0 *cough*
    Find a set of aluminum cylinder heads used for a 350 and it weighs no more than the LQ/LM series LS engines a few members here have used
    '93 325is: ZF swap, Borla Type X muffler, cat delete, X Pipe, Tune, Powerflex bushings (subframe, diff, RTAB, LCAB), Apex ARC8's, Raceland Ultimos, Corbeau seat, Renown steering wheel, M3 front and rear bumpers, BMW motorsports moulding, Euro tails, Depo headlights (soon to be retrofitted)

My Cars
    99 Bmw 323i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Ndanny718 View Post
    Ok I guess I' ll be honest with you guys, its actually an 88' E28 drift car, I got a SBC gen 1, built top end, I'm building the bottom end right now (crank, pustons, rods) and boring .40 over so it'll be a 357 instead of a 350 with approx 12:1 compression.
    12:1 compression?! What kind of heads pistons are you running to want even to attempt that high of a compression ratio ???

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2003 325ci
    Turds? That SBC is the cheapest most reliable 500 horsepower you can build. It'll make more than enough power easily for $2500 and be driven every day.

My Cars
    1988 bmw 535i
    ported stock heads and decked to 58cc, dome forged pistons, forged rods, aggressive high lift roller cams . trying to get more power out of the 350 and high revs, I'll probably have to run race gas or something, dedicated drift car so it won't be an issue

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2003 325ci
    Sounds great, Pix please

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by tyr283 View Post
    I know I'm a bit late to the whole SBF vs SBC debate but at least a 350 block will make it past 500hp before it splits in half *cough* 5.0 *cough*
    Find a set of aluminum cylinder heads used for a 350 and it weighs no more than the LQ/LM series LS engines a few members here have used
    Tell that to my ysi 306 notch

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    Tell that to my ysi 306 notch
    Not saying it happens to every one, just seems to be a common issue especially on FI builds. I had a fox body before my E36 that I planned to turbo but I didn't want to invest $2K for an aftermarket block
    '93 325is: ZF swap, Borla Type X muffler, cat delete, X Pipe, Tune, Powerflex bushings (subframe, diff, RTAB, LCAB), Apex ARC8's, Raceland Ultimos, Corbeau seat, Renown steering wheel, M3 front and rear bumpers, BMW motorsports moulding, Euro tails, Depo headlights (soon to be retrofitted)

My Cars
    Bmw 525i
    Yeah a Chevy 350 in a BMW is what I want to do too.. I had camaro's,firebirds and corvettes all with v-8 motors.. They all had balls of thunder..mash the gas and patch.360 donuts, fish tail the corners and jump the tracks.. With these foreign cars you can't do that.. You have to keep baby sitting the electronics, plastics and aluminum/diecast...unfortunately General Motors had been slacking off on balls to the walls hardcore gear head cars with v-8 motors. And there's a shortage of those cars to build up into street rods.. And the ones that are still out there are all trashed out rust buckets needing everything bumper to bumper..so the only alternative left is to get a clean inside and out with smooth suspension newer car any make&model and just modify the drive train..to have a balls to the Wall Street rod.. Yeah it's alot of work and modifying and figuring out how to do it.but it sure is worth it that's for sure.. Carburetor is the way to go with a tight t.v.cable...i had my last street rod 18-years which was an awesome 85 corvette..i modified it to last haul ass and easy to fix.. When the motor blows pull it out and drop another in.. I'm gonna modify another car. But which make&model is the question..a good welder,torch,sheet metal bender,tube bender will be very useful..
    Last edited by countofhouston; 12-16-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12