Thread: Weird cold steering - judder when turning and groan

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP

Weird cold steering - judder when turning and groan

So two things going on, related or not...

I flushed the system a couple years ago using the allen screw when I had to change some hoses. I used Castrol Multi-Import ATF to refill (no self leveling suspension). Yup, the fluid is full. When the weather would drop to something colder than I'd say 60*, there was a very very slight groan or buzzing sound when turning the wheel when the car is first started and I pull out of my parking space. It used to be completely silent. After literally a minute, less really, it's gone and totally normal. I didn't think much about it because it was such an innocuous sound and went away so fast.

Fast forward to now living in the land of snow. In the morning it's much colder now. The sound is just slightly louder. Goes away just as fast.

However, turning the wheel with the car stopped or rolling with my foot partly off the brake when there's snow on the ground results in the steering wheel juddering. Like when I turn the wheel it's choppy. It almost feels like the traction control is kicking in to do something, but how much could it do? The car is barely moving. It seems worse when I first start the car, but I think I can still make it do that in certain circumstances after driving and pulling out of a parking spot in snow.

Anything to worry about?
    Last edited by racer2086; 02-05-2015 at 08:37 AM.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Have the groan on first turn on one of mine (SLS but needs a fluid change), I seem to recall it's at any temperature though.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Ok, yeah the groan is like that in my car. Tested it after posting and it seems that it groans only turning right, which seems weird. It really doesn't seem like something bad. The judder feels kinda wrong though. Only on snow. Think it's just ABS/DSC thinking the front wheels are slipping?
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Ok, yeah the groan is like that in my car. Tested it after posting and it seems that it groans only turning right, which seems weird. It really doesn't seem like something bad. The judder feels kinda wrong though. Only on snow. Think it's just ABS/DSC thinking the front wheels are slipping?
    I have pretty much the same thing, minus the juddering, every time I start my car after it's been sitting a while. Unfortunately, the groan doesn't go away until the car has been driving for about 5 minutes or so. It also seems to be more intense turning right, but is there in both directions. I think there is a leak in the sealing washers on the steering box on mine. It seems like once it's warmed up, the leaks are somewhat sealed, but once it cools down again, the leaks reappear.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Judder sounds like loose belt IMO.

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    I have pretty much the same thing, minus the juddering, every time I start my car after it's been sitting a while. Unfortunately, the groan doesn't go away until the car has been driving for about 5 minutes or so. It also seems to be more intense turning right, but is there in both directions. I think there is a leak in the sealing washers on the steering box on mine. It seems like once it's warmed up, the leaks are somewhat sealed, but once it cools down again, the leaks reappear.
    I'll take a look. Sounds like a possibility. I replaced all my lines in FL in 80 degree weather. Maybe when it's 10 out, I can tighten them down a little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
    Judder sounds like loose belt IMO.
    This is also possible. I was under doing an oil change an the belts have little cracks in the ribs when the are bent around the pulley. That may mean time for a swap. How do you know if the tensioners are still good?

My Cars
    94 325ic, 95 740iL

Juddering

Racer2086:

I started getting the "juddering" two days ago. No snow, but it is cold. It only does it when I make my drive for the day. When things warm up ... no juddering. Did you ever figure out why yours was juddering?
    Last edited by BMWE36Greek; 01-14-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Title

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Mine was doing that because of the snow. Kind of like when you walk in the snow or have skis on the snow will "give" a little and it makes that noise. Have no idea how to explain it. The groan sound is still there, even when cold down here in FL. Probably needs a fluid change to a different ATF. No more snow for me