Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivetrain malfunction: timing chain, fuel injector recall for V8 F01/F02

My Cars
    2011 BMW 750Li xDrive

Drivetrain malfunction: timing chain, fuel injector recall for V8 F01/F02

Hey, just got my car back from the dealer, and since I didn't see anything online yet about it I figured I'd share. There's a recall from BMW on the 4.4L V8 F01 for the timing chain, fuel injectors and fuel injector rails.

Symptoms that you might need this:

* lugging at low RPM
    * CEL with "Drivetrain Malfunction" error on control display with limp mode (yay!)
    * VANOS has no more adjustment / accommodation left

To some BMW shops, it looks like a VANOS issue. In my case, it was a stretched timing chain. I bit the bullet and approved the repair, and pushed for goodwill from BMW (only 55k miles on my F02). They came back 95% goodwill, which I happily took. Later, a recall was approved and I got the repair 100% covered. The receipt is like 6 pages of parts replaced.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share in case anyone else was seeing the dreaded Drivetrain Malfunction error. Might be part of the recall!

My Cars
    740iL, 325Ci & 328i
    Just bought a F02 and was lugging also. took to dealer thats when they told me about the Bulletin from BMW (dont call it a recall , yet) they ordered all parts to replace. will know what exactly that is when i get paperwork. i used to smell gas fumes when i pulled in to garage.

My Cars
    97 328i, 99 740il

Lugging...?

Quote Originally Posted by paprmkr View Post
    Just bought a F02 and was lugging also. took to dealer thats when they told me about the Bulletin from BMW (dont call it a recall , yet) they ordered all parts to replace. will know what exactly that is when i get paperwork. i used to smell gas fumes when i pulled in to garage.

What is Lugging?

I have had my car at the service center since early jan. They finally got the parts to fix. Then last Saturday they call me to tell me the entire engine needs to be replaced. Not sure the real reason, but after doing the timing belt fix, it still idled rough. Service told me Germany told them replace the engine. Thank God it's CPO. I'm kind of excited. I'm getting a new engine in my 2009!

My Cars
    2011 BMW 750i xDrive
    Just bought a 2011 750i this weekend. Is there anywhere I can look up the recall to see if my vehicle is effected?

My Cars
    2008 335 & 2012 650i
    Owners of "50i" bimmers be advised this is not listed as a "recall' you will not receive a letter, call, or memo-gram. You will have to take your car into the dealer and have them check your key-fob.

This is from www.autoevolution.com

Not too long ago, we were telling you that BMW’s N63 4.4-liter V8 engines are experiencing reliability issues and that in a lot of cases, the owners are downright disappointed in the way their plants perform.

The info came to us initially from a mechanic that had to deal with a lot of malfunctioning units. According to him, the plants weren’t even up to the 20,000-mile mark when they came to his attention, showing issues related to the injectors and mass air flow sensors that led to more serious issues.

Basically, most of the time, the engines would lock up and pistons would even crack the engine block due to the high pressure. Now, it seems like BMW is finally admitting its fault and issuing a massive recall called “N63 Customer Care Package”.

It will be a 2-part campaign for all cars fitted with the N63 engine. Mind you, this refers to the N63 plants alone, the ones making 407 HP and it doesn’t include to N63Tu version, the one with 450 HP. On the latter, the issues were solved apparently.

Issued as bulletin number B001314 on 29/12/2014 the recall will include checking the timing chain for stretching and replacing it if necessary, replacing the fuel injectors, mass air flow sensors, crankcase vent lines, battery, engine vacuum pump and low pressure fuel sensor.

On top of all that, the service interval will be shortened to nearly half, with a 12 month/10,000 mile (16,000 km) check-up instead of the long-life treatment the BMW plants have today, requiring a check every 2 years and 15,000 miles (25,000 km).

The best news about this recall is that it covers all cars fitted with these engines. That includes cars that have gone out of warranty, no matter how many miles they gathered on the clock.

As you might imagine, changing all those parts on your car will take a while and during this time, all customers will get a replacement car of equal or higher class to the one they have. On top of all that, BMW is also willing to offer owners the chance to trade in their N63-equipped car and get a new one.

This comes as the perfect response after a lot of people have been complaining about the way BMW treats its customers. Such a move looks like an attempt from the company to make amends for its past mistakes but until we hear from an actual customer that took advantage of this customer care program we can’t say for sure if it worked.

I dropped off my 2012 650i this weekend. From what I've been reading the results are good. We'll see how long it takes mine, I'll repost after I get it back.

My Cars
    2008 335 & 2012 650i
    Ok got my car back after a week, not bad, the dealer had all the parts on hand so the fix actually took 3 days. Parts replaced: hot-film Air mass meter, 8-injectors, vacuum pump, fuel level sensor & feed pipe, turbo gaskets, vent pipes, oil change, and software upgrade. T-Chain was within specs and battery was good.
    Things I noticed before the customer care, very rough starting (embarrassing at times), coughing up blood, (spitting out black stuff), engine light on, computer saying "Drive train failure" WTF!, computer saying all four tires low; really!, slight hesitation on acceleration, this was probably due to misfire of cyl-5., and drinking oil like she was knocking back shots.
    Now seems like all these things are cleared up. I'll have to drive her around for awhile to make sure. Only thing I noticed that I'm not too sure about is when I select "Sport" mode from "Comfort", before the fix I would notice and feel a definite jump in RPMs; now I don't see the jump and barely feel the difference. Don't know if that's from the reprogramming. So far so good...

My Cars
    2011 BMW 750i xDrive
    Thanks for the detail and delivering on the follow up Cashj! I don't have any lights or other issues on mine, so I think I can wait a while til I need service.

2011 BMW 750i xDrive

My Cars
    2012 750Li
    Hey all,

Just wanted to weigh in, and report that my 2012 750Li with 20,100 miles was just diagnosed with the same issue.

The dealer told me there was bad news and excellent news. The bad was that my car had the "issue"; the good was that I "qualified" to receive a BMW "Customer Care Package". I'm glad I was on this forum beforehand because I mentioned that I was aware TSB when I dropped the car off. I can't say that had anything to do with the outcome, but its nice to be in front of a dealer armed with knowledge. Thanks BimmerForums!

I'll let you all know how it shakes out.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 550I
    Any updates to this issue? We have a 2013 750LI that is a total POS, been in the shop now for the 3rd time in the last two months for the same issue. It was also taken in back in March and still not fixed. Car won't idle or idles very rough, drivetrain malfunction cation light stays on, car vibrates terribly. Problem has gotten worse and worse and car has become undriveable. My wife was almost in an accident today when the car quit on the way to the dealer. They've replaced two fuel injectors so far and most likely will replace one or two more this time. Dealer is telling me BMW won't let them replace all of them at once. They replaced some other stuff also but the problem just keeps getting worse. Lease is up in March and can't wait to get rid of this piece of junk. While at the dealer this morning another 750 was towed in for the same exact issue.

My Cars
    2008 335 & 2012 650i
    Ok, it's been almost a year now since I had the work done on the car. My wife and I dropped the top and drove the beast on some long distance drives for the weekend, no problems whatsoever. But now since she's been driving it to work (335i was in the shop), the engine light came on. Well the N63 Customer care work was done in March of last year so I'm gonna bring it back to the dealer to stay within the limited warranty on repairs. I'm hoping there isn't a major problem. I will repost what happened once I get it in the shop.

My Cars
    2010 750Li (F02)
    Whats good y'all. I recently picked up a 2010 750Li with about 85K on the ODO. About a month and a thousand miles later, I got the dreaded "Drivetrain Malfunction, Drive Moderately" warning light. I was just cruising at 35mph barely hitting the gas. The car ran just fine but went into limp mode (accelerator pedal only responded to about 35% of pedal force). About a day later, the engine check light came on and I noticed the fan would turn on full blast while driving the entire time. I continued to drive it for the weekend and it was fine, it just remained in limp mode. No rough idle or stuttering. I ran codes on my OBDII scanner and got two manufacturer specific codes that I haven't been able to decypher (P15EF) (P01C8).

I took it into the dealership and paid the almost $200 for them to look at it. They had it for about 3 days and let me know it was the high pressure fuel pump on one cylinder bank. I'm completely outside of warranty. Before I could ask for a goodwill repair, they let me know that BMW approved the repair and would pay for the parts. I just had to pay labor. So out the door, I paid like $375. The car runs better than ever, it accelerates hard AF even in comfort mode.

As for the history of the vehicle, it was a CPO before and already had the N63 Customer Care Package done (turbos replaced, fuel injectors replaced, timing chain replaced, etc.) If you have any issues with the ignition coils, fuel injectors, turbos, timing chain, or high pressure fuel pump, I highly recommend asking for a full or at least partial good will repair.
    Last edited by LIM1TED; 03-08-2016 at 04:39 PM.

My Cars
    2008 335 & 2012 650i
    Never heard of a Goodwill repair, I'll have to try asking for it next time. As for my previous post above it didn't have anything to do with the N63, the repairs were covered under the CPO.

My Cars
    bmw 750li
    Hi I bought a 2013 750LI which came off lease. The car functioned well until 4 months at 22,000 miles, I received a drivetrain malfunction warning. Car was shaking during idle and during the highway drive. BMW dealer found faults during testing and replaced both vanos in bank 2. 3 months later - low oil light comes on. Dealer replaced PCV hose due to aged and brittle condition, replaced valve covers and changed oil. 4 months later, I received a drivetrain malfunction warning again. Car was shaking during idle and during the highway drive. Dealer said car failed test again and replace 2 VANOS Solenoids in Bank 2, set of profile gaskets, gasket ring, coolant, microfilter.
    This is all happening under 30,000 miles. After research, I found this is a known issue by BMW for the N63 engines, F02/F01. I am a few months away from my warranty expiration. Not happy with drivetrain malfunctions and excessive oil burning for a $100,000 vehicle way under 100,000 miles. BMW USA will not extend the warranty and will not replace the engine and transmission even though this poor reliability is well documented on my low mileage 2013 750LI. Does anyone know of any class action suits, SEC filings and/or escalation process. I have written to BMW USA VP, Customer Relations and SVP, Operations. They have denied my requests and this is just wrong.
    Thank you for your advise.

My Cars
    Bmw 2010 750li
    they call it the customer care package campaign because bmw is not trying to call it a recall, did you have to pay any out of pocket expense and was your car displaying the drivetrain malfunction light ?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 2010 750li that has 65000 that I owned since 2013,the check engine light along with the drive train malfunction light came on around the same time last week. I spoke to a bmw tech and was told that it should be covered under the customer care package, my car still drives but I can tell the difference in the pick up,i called bmw and made a appointment to bring it in ,hopefully it the they will repair everything for free since it falls under the care package, is anyone familiar what year bmw started the care package campaign?

My Cars
    Bmw 2010 750li
    Thanx fellas I just dropped my car off at the bmw dealer the SA was very very cool and told me to tell him all that I was concerned about and that per CCP campaign they will go over them components of my car and make sure it's running as it was before or even better, he gave me a 2016 x3 even though I would of preferred a x5 but it's better then a Dodge Avenger from Enterprise, he said my car my take up untill the end of the week to get done,,, customer service was great there I will keep you guys posted

My Cars
    2011 BMW 750Li
    Hello fellas (and ladies),

Just got the dreaded "drivetrain malfunction" message on the dash and iDrive screen (F02 '11 - less than 50k miles). Also paired with the check engine light and the "D" light on the shifter knob was blinking as well.

Spoke with SOS (roadside assistance?) and they said turn car off for an hour and come back to it, (I was on the side of the road in a loading zone, but couldn't leave the car there overnight). If the car still gives the same message, then it would need to be towed to the dealer. I tried turning it on after 5 min and was able to put it in gear and drive back to my fiance's place. Even if it has to be towed, it will be in a safe spot for the night.

What I'm curious is that--- A) has anyone else experienced the check engine light come on with the drivetrain error message? B) IS THIS COVERED UNDER CPO WARRANTY? and C) After the remedy has been completed, did you ever received the drivetrain error message again?

Thanks guys!

My Cars
    2011 BMW 550i GT
    Yes. My car had the drivetrain malfunction error and the check engine light. P303 and P304. Car has 52K miles so I am going to replace the coils and plugs to make sure those ain't it. Anything else should be covered by this N63 issue.

I had the P303 first (cylinder #3 misfire) when the drivetrain malfunction error was coming on ONLY when on boost. Replaced the cool and the car ran well. I started the car again the next day to go to work and the car was shuddering, and drivetrain malfunction error was in 100%. I just got the plugs so I will replace those and see where I'm at.

I have a service appointment this Friday. Wish me luck!

My Cars
    750LI M
    What did you end up finding out? Did the plugs and coils fix it or was it something else?

Quote Originally Posted by badboybeltran View Post
    Yes. My car had the drivetrain malfunction error and the check engine light. P303 and P304. Car has 52K miles so I am going to replace the coils and plugs to make sure those ain't it. Anything else should be covered by this N63 issue.

I had the P303 first (cylinder #3 misfire) when the drivetrain malfunction error was coming on ONLY when on boost. Replaced the cool and the car ran well. I started the car again the next day to go to work and the car was shuddering, and drivetrain malfunction error was in 100%. I just got the plugs so I will replace those and see where I'm at.

I have a service appointment this Friday. Wish me luck!

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP,05 M3,TRD Taco
    Quote Originally Posted by biggielife View Post
    Hello fellas (and ladies),

Just got the dreaded "drivetrain malfunction" message on the dash and iDrive screen (F02 '11 - less than 50k miles). Also paired with the check engine light and the "D" light on the shifter knob was blinking as well.

Spoke with SOS (roadside assistance?) and they said turn car off for an hour and come back to it, (I was on the side of the road in a loading zone, but couldn't leave the car there overnight). If the car still gives the same message, then it would need to be towed to the dealer. I tried turning it on after 5 min and was able to put it in gear and drive back to my fiance's place. Even if it has to be towed, it will be in a safe spot for the night.

What I'm curious is that--- A) has anyone else experienced the check engine light come on with the drivetrain error message? B) IS THIS COVERED UNDER CPO WARRANTY? and C) After the remedy has been completed, did you ever received the drivetrain error message again?

Thanks guys!
    Service done at 36k miles in 2015

Exact problem came back at 53k miles in 2017

Stevens Creek BMW said it's out of warranty and they didn't even do the service, so not their problem. Service was done in Alhambra, CA. Need to contact them or BMW North America.

Took it to an independent shop, quote for repair was $4400, replacing all injectors, pumps, hose, battery - everything that was in the BMW service bulletin.

The shop recommended I try to go through BMW first, and they will help as much as they can, if not I will have to do the repair.

My Cars
    BMW 750LI XDrive
    Thank you all sooooooo much for this thread, you don't know what this means to me!! I purchased a 2011 75LI X-Drive in 2016 and approx 3mos after purchase, I began to notice a "jerk" when I would accelerate and gears would changed from 3rd to 4th. It wasn't happening often, maybe once a month (if even), so I didn't think much of it. We did have the BMW dealership and an independent shop look at the car and they couldn't identify the issue. Lately, it has been happening every day for the past couple of months and in the past week, I've received the "drivetrain malfunction" error on my dash. Of note, I have been experiencing shaking of my car when driving 60mph or more on the highway (usually evens out at 70mph or higher), my oil light comes on every 2mos stating that I need to add a quart of oil (has been to the shop twice and have repaired, which was covered under CPO), and flat tire light has been coming on more frequently (new tires bought 4mos ago). I have not had any stalling, but the "drivetrain malfunction" error came on again last night when I was on my way home and the car was shaking and felt as if it didn't wasn't getting enough juice. I parked it in the garage, when I got home, and prayed that things would be fine when I drove it to work this morning. No error light and no "jerking", yet. After reading this thread, I decided to make an appointment with a BMW dealership which is not scheduled until 8/31/17. With this information that you all have provided, I hope that this is part of the N63 engine issue and is fully covered (although my CPO expired on 6/30/17). I will keep you all posted!

My Cars
    750li, x5
    I just purchased a 2012 750LI xDrive. I received the dreaded message "drive chain malfunction" issue. It does appear to operate in limp mode OK, as I can get up to 80 or 90 mph. As I understand there is a customer care package "recall" underway. As it is not under warranty any longer, with just under 60,000 miles. I did go to AutoZone and the following codes came up P0087 and P15Df. There were two P0087 codes followed by the P 15 DF and then the last code was another P0087. Can anyone confirm whether this would be covered under CCP?

I'm not sure if I'm crazy but there was some other strange thing that went on when I was driving the car. This occurred before I received a message about a day, while it was raining I could've sworn from the left side and the right-hand side next to the windshield from underneath the truck seem to spurt smoke. It was very strange however, it didn't appear to be like smoke at pier to be almost air may be mixed in with the rain. It was just from the left-hand side and the right hand side and it was like this, a spurt of air or smoke, that lasted for about a second followed by five second pause and then again on both sides simultaneously another spurt of smoked for about a second. And that was it I looked underneath the hood

Apologize for the long winded, but as I see through these forms I'd rather give as much detail as possible and let the experts sort through the rubble ��

My Cars
    2013 BMW 750Li M Sport
    Hi! I just bought a 2013 750Li M Sport with only 33,000 miles on it 2 weeks ago. I drove it over 1,000 miles from Detroit to New Orleans and I started getting the Drivetrain Malfunction & Low Coolant indicators. I poured a whole bottle of coolant in the car over a period of 2 days and it's still doing the same thing. I took it to the dealer and called BMW North America and they're both saying there is no recall for this problem. Where do I go from here to resolve this issue because I really love the way this car drives and would hate to have to get rid of it...

My Cars
    What was the dealership's diagnosis of the issue?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    750Li
    Any luck with BMW taking care of the problem on these vehicles with expired CCP or out of warranty?...I have that same dreaded message “Drivetrain Malfunctions” to pop up on my 2014 750Li 84k Miles....and have a service appointment scheduled too.... just really aggravated and hoping for some GREAT NEWS from the dealership when I get there...... Also I called and was told I have a N63T engine—-any information on that— just want to be armed with any knowledge I can when I arrive for my appointment???
    Last edited by TeamUS; 10-13-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast