Thread: Strange Vibration

My Cars
    2003 E39 540i/6

Strange Vibration

I searched for info on this, but it is so vague, I didn't come up with anything. My Wife's '01 330Ci started having a very strange vibration the other day, after being parked at the airport for several days. No issues for quite some time when first starting to drive, then a vibration starts, that doesn't seem to be engine or road speed oriented, except there is a second component to it that sounds sort of like a warped rotor rubbing on a badly corroded disc (sorry, it's the best description I can come up with. Front brakes are new, rear brakes about 20k miles. I took all 4 wheels off yesterday, and saw no signs of any rubbing. It does seem to be worse at low speed while turning left, so I thought there may be something going on with the power steering. The pump is new, only about 6 months old. There is no vibration at speed, inly when accelerating from a standstill or low speed.

I know this is not very descriptive, but it has me stumped. Driveshaft issue maybe?

2001 330Ci
    Automatic Transmission (unfortunately also new due to a sheared reverse drum $$$$)

Thanks for any advice.

My Cars
    84 528e 88 735i, 01 325i
    The fact that it's not there when you're at speed, but only when under load when accelerating makes me think it's driveshaft related; either the center u-joint or the center support bearing or both (a failed/failing u-joint can take out a good CSB in short order.) Most BMWs have the same driveshaft arrangement, and I'm very familiar with those symptoms from my daily driver, an '88 735i. I replaced the CSB a few years ago while I had the driveshaft out for some work on the rear end, and noticed that the u-joint was a little notchy. Before replacing the CSB, there were times when you could feel the DS knocking on the tunnel when accelerating, but now it just vibrates.

My Cars
    2003 E39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by davintosh View Post
    The fact that it's not there when you're at speed, but only when under load when accelerating makes me think it's driveshaft related; either the center u-joint or the center support bearing or both (a failed/failing u-joint can take out a good CSB in short order.) Most BMWs have the same driveshaft arrangement, and I'm very familiar with those symptoms from my daily driver, an '88 735i. I replaced the CSB a few years ago while I had the driveshaft out for some work on the rear end, and noticed that the u-joint was a little notchy. Before replacing the CSB, there were times when you could feel the DS knocking on the tunnel when accelerating, but now it just vibrates.
    That's my thought as well, I just haven't had a chance to crawl under the car. My garage is unheated and the slab is a bit chilly

I was thinking it might be an issue with whatever is the driveshaft "guibo" like in my E28. BTW-we've communicated several times on the E28 forum, where my name is Desmofan.

Thanks for the insight!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Mine does the same thing, when i redline the car in 3rd or 4th gear it throws on the engine light and has this terrible rumble overtime i press the gas pedal. I checked the engine light and it codes for a Cylinder 3 misfire so it could be a cylinder that shut off for some reason. The reason its shutting off is its squirting too much fluid into the cylinder for it to keep up so it shuts it off so that it docent flood.. Hope this helps but i changed my coolant system and this fixed it, and my ignition coils.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    I have a 2001 330i sedan you have the same car but Coupe version

My Cars
    2003 E39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rweber330i View Post
    Mine does the same thing, when i redline the car in 3rd or 4th gear it throws on the engine light and has this terrible rumble overtime i press the gas pedal. I checked the engine light and it codes for a Cylinder 3 misfire so it could be a cylinder that shut off for some reason. The reason its shutting off is its squirting too much fluid into the cylinder for it to keep up so it shuts it off so that it docent flood.. Hope this helps but i changed my coolant system and this fixed it, and my ignition coils.
    Interesting. The SES light came on last week, and it ran like crap. I can't find my OBDII reader, so I haven't checked the codes, but the lights off now. I wonder if there's a tie to the coils.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    It may have also be rumbling from something grinding if no engine lights come on.. I would have it 3rd party inspected at a dealer for like 50$ and see if they find any broken parts

My Cars
    2004 BMW 545i Sport
    Old man newbie here restoring a 1987 bmw 535IS. I had a driveline vibration upon hard acceleration. I had restored the driveshaft. The joints were free hand clear, so I installed a new quibo and center support bearing. The bearing I used was an aftermarket. After installation, still had some vibration. After some research, I packed the doughnut grove on the CSB with 3M window weld. Waited 24hrs. No vibration now what so ever. I guess the rubber surround on the new bearing wasn't stiff enough to hold driveshaft in place. Window weld worked great!

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    3M window weld is an interesting product. With a Shore A Hardness of 55 to 60, its like tyre rubber hard and would be very useful for a number of rubber suspension bushing modifications to make them stiffer without the NVH of going to Poly bushings. Thank you for the product tip.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.