Thread: Radiator / Intercooler Paint?

My Cars
    Vipers, e46m

Radiator / Intercooler Paint?

The paint on my black TRM intercooler is starting to flake off . What brands have you guys used that have worked well? Any recommendations?

My Cars
    95 M3 04 M3 99 swift
    It's really not the brand of paint but how you prep the surface.

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    You should look into getting it anodized, call local shops its not expensive.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by E36 HateR View Post
    You should look into getting it anodized, call local shops its not expensive.
    Yep. Best for heat management too. I had a powder coated IC once. Def increased the soak. Anodization shouldnt affect the heat transfer like that.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Grill paint, or it will be costly.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1998 M3 TURBO
    I would think if you just sprayed the paint on an angle to not get it in between the fins it shouldn't effect it much? no?
    ICS Stage 1 NickG tune, 60lb Injectors, Blow through MAF, Synapse BOV, Boostlogic Manifold, BW-S366, Full 4" exhaust, Built Block w/ Wiseco's and K1 Rods = Good Times

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Barbecue paint only on the front. The paint won't get very far down the fins.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Barbecue paint only on the front. The paint won't get very far down the fins.
    I think that's prob a pretty good solution as long as you do it super light so it doesn't layer up and potentially trap heat. And being just BBQ paint you can touch it up quick & easy when needed.

In the end I sanded the powder off of the face of my IC, left it on the tanks. There are some special "heat transfer" coatings that supposedly actually improve transfer but A. not sure I believe it, and B. cost/benefit was not attractive...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '97 M3
    The surface area of the visible front area is very small compared to the rest of the heat transferring tubes and fins of the intercooler. Anodizing black would be great but it has a tendency of fading to purple after a while and I would prefer to have it bare aluminum on the back side to help reflect the heat from the radiator or AC condenser.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    Vipers, e46m
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I think that's prob a pretty good solution as long as you do it super light so it doesn't layer up and potentially trap heat. And being just BBQ paint you can touch it up quick & easy when needed.

In the end I sanded the powder off of the face of my IC, left it on the tanks. There are some special "heat transfer" coatings that supposedly actually improve transfer but A. not sure I believe it, and B. cost/benefit was not attractive...
    This is my plan, just looking for a recommendation of brand to use.

The surface area of the visible front area is very small compared to the rest of the heat transferring tubes and fins of the intercooler. Anodizing black would be great but it has a tendency of fading to purple after a while and I would prefer to have it bare aluminum on the back side to help reflect the heat from the radiator or AC condenser.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    Right, which is why I don't want to anodize, besides the cost. Also, it's not a beauty contest, I just want my intercooler basically hidden. Its very, very difficult to tell my car is turbo, and I like it that way.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Ideally, you would coat it with a metallic-ceramic engineered to disperse more heat to the atmosphere. I plan to do some experimentation on aluminum radiators and ICs with Techline's TLTD thermal disperspersant coating (requires an oven cure__do not try this at home... ).

I already use that coating on lots of other stuff, and it remains black-black, regardless of time or exposure.

This is TLTD on a trick little Eurosport piece...

My Cars
    M3TTst2Meth-K1300S-1100G

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Haifisch M3 View Post
    painting the IC black... not a good idea YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_mmmXTbLP0
    I watched the video. His argument was implying that people paint the whole Intercooler, including in between the fins and on the back side. He was also suggesting that a lot of heat gets taken away from the front face of the intercooler. I would tend to think that the area between the fins is where most of the heat is expelled. I get that paint can be an insulating layer but if I have put a light coat of spray can barbecue flat black on the front surface only and the intercooler lives in the shade behind the bumper cover and stock mesh piece, I really don't think I am jeopardizing much of the thermal efficiency of my 23x18x4" intercooler core. I think a much much larger loss of efficiency is from not ducting the intercooler properly. The paint would be nothing compared to that.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    Last edited by chikinhed; 12-20-2015 at 09:06 PM.

My Cars
    e30 hopefully
    That kid proved nothing that the original video didn't already state. 3% would mean a 3 degree difference if it drops the temp 100 degrees. How much power is gained or lost due to 3 degrees of intake air temp? I'm tempted the to the difference would be negligible. I would rather have a stealth looking intercooler and sacrifice the couple hp we would be talking about. As stated above I think far more could be gained from proper ducting that most people overlook.

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    If anyone thinks spray paint is going to effect how fast your car is you have some issues.

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    Lots.
    I've used Eastwood Radiator paint where I went a bit heavier on end-tanks and fairly light dusting across surface/fins but enough to ensure coverage.
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by 95RogueM3 View Post
    I've used Eastwood Radiator paint where I went a bit heavier on end-tanks and fairly light dusting across surface/fins but enough to ensure coverage.
    Your intake temps must be 200°+. ; )
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender13Bender View Post
    If anyone thinks spray paint is going to effect how fast your car is you have some issues.
    You do know red cars are faster right

My Cars
    M3TTst2Meth-K1300S-1100G
    3% in stationary test, with a low output fan, can translate into a lot more at speed (at the track)

The only scenario in which the black IC shows any benefits is while idling at a red light...if the clutch fan isn't working

While moving... it hurts performance... when you need it.
    The fins in the IC are really close together and even a thin coating of spray-paint will close the already narrow air passages even more.

Not only does the paint act as a layer on insulation but it also reduces thru-flow ...both reducing efficiency of the IC

Jkpgt96 is offline One of those JZ swappers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3

Sent from my GTX3582R
    Agreed..I would use a black paint of some sort..something that is UV stable.
    1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d- Blk on Cinnamon, Towing Pkg, Heat Pkg., etc..the tow rig/DD!

My Cars
    Honda Civic
    Hi there, I'm currently considering painting my radiator, and during my online research, I came across a paint that appears to be promising. Nevertheless, as I lack experience with such products, I would greatly appreciate your opinion to ensure I don't make any errors. Thank you for your assistance.