Thread: Moving to Honolulu? Your car may need a RECON permit.

My Cars
    I love turbos!

Moving to Honolulu? Your car may need a RECON permit.

https://www1.honolulu.gov/csd/vehicle/faqs_recon.htm

What is a Reconstructed Vehicle Permit and how do I obtain one?
    If your vehicle has been modified from its original condition as constructed by the manufacturer, it may require you to obtain a Reconstructed Vehicle Permit.

Visit our Motor Vehicle Control Section for daily walk-in servicing or call our office at (808) 733-2542, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. to schedule a future inspection appointment.
    Vehicles with suspension modifications require proof the vehicle has been aligned to factory specifications completed within thirty (30) days prior to the inspection. This would be in the form of a print out from the alignment shop indicating the factory alignment specifications along with the actual specifications of your vehicle's alignment.

What types of modifications require a Reconstructed Vehicle Permit?
    The most common modifications that require a Reconstructed Vehicle Permit are:

Lowering or dropping a vehicle.
    Headlight height cannot be lower than 22 inches when measured from the ground to the center of the headlight.
    A minimum of 2 inches of unrestricted suspension travel.
    There must be ample clearance (full turn to full turn) between the tire and the vehicle's frame, suspension and body.
    Lifting or raising a vehicle.
    Headlight height cannot be greater than 54 inches when measured from the ground to the center of the headlight.
    Maximum bumper heights of motor vehicles shall be determined by the weight category of the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) as measured from a level surface to the highest point on the bottom of the bumper. Maximum heights are as follows:

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating Front Rear
    Passenger vehicles 22 inches 22 inches
    4,500 lbs. and under 29 inches 29 inches
    4,501 lbs. to 7,500 lbs. 33 inches 33 inches
    7,501 lbs. to 10,000 lbs. 35 inches 35 inches
    Last edited by The Beastmaster; 01-28-2015 at 11:17 PM.

My Cars
    99 BMW M3
    OMG! This is great info...but dammit this is going to suck for me when I get there...
    1999 BMW ///M3 Coupe
    2014 BMW S1000RR

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    I tried to get a safety check at A&A today for my black sedan, they won't pass me because of my smoked turn signals (need amber reflectors). I ordered a amber pair from HIP just to put on to pass. Now I'm worried about my silver coupe as it has the Racing Dynamics body kit and there are no front reflectors, plus it has a 2 inch drop with no recon from previous owner. Funny how they passed my black sedan last year.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    At least on Maui, the inspections have become more strict since they starting using govt issued i-Pads and photograph the cars from multiple angles. My cars are squeaky clean/legal, but I was told by an inspector that he could fail my 99 M3 because of the SCCA sticker on the side rear window.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    Wasn't Chris E28 "street legal" in Maui? lol