Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've made a wonderful mistake!

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Retightened but its stopping a fraction short. Anyone else have this problem?
    Only ways I can see that happening are if the steel sleeve inside the bushing is too long or the threaded portion of your bolt is too short.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Only ways I can see that happening are if the steel sleeve inside the bushing is too long or the threaded portion of your bolt is too short.
    That's exactly what I think. I'm going to order different brand today AKG. I've had nothing but trouble from Powerflex.
    Last edited by BacDoc; 02-09-2018 at 08:50 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    New AKG bushing came so it goes in today. New motor mounts hopefully as well. And since I'll be up under the car what's the steering rack of choice of the '95M? I read about them a couple years ago but can't remember....Z3 quicker rack?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I hate this car...bushings are both slightly too long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I would suggest that there's something up with your subframe then. My AKG diff bolt bushing fit perfectly!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I bought this one used. It was marked M3 and matched up to my old one. The other AKG bushings fit no problem.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Shifter and tranny mounts in. Swap the motor mounts and put eveything back together.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Looking good..brings back fond memories
    I've kind of gone through the process 2x now taking an e36m3 LWT from stock to dedicated Race car and now doing the same for my Z3M which has the same front suspension.

I skimmed over your thread and don't want to sound like a know it all but some things learned from the what you might call the school of hard knocks.

Error on the side of quieter versus louder for the exhaust. Tracks everywhere are monitoring and imposing some fairly tight restrictions on sound levels. There is nothing more frustrating than trailing your car for hundreds of miles only to get black flagged, pulled off the track and scrambling to find a fix to try and get back on.

Spend more now on better stuff rather than spending twice. It seems that many times I bought what I though was a good part only to find out that I could have spent a little more for something better and ended up doing just that later on. Good stuff tends to last longer and buy from a reputable source. Anyone can make parts and sell them unfortunately they can be crap (see example below and ruin your day)

Stay away from Delrin bushings in any suspension point that is going to see a lot of repeated loading. My rear is an e30 clone and I put brand new Gargastic delrin rear trailing arm bushing last year only to discover that after one season the inner sleeve which was thin and made of cheap soft steel had gotten hogged out and the bushings themselves were cracked. So my trailing arms were moving all over the place and causing so very undesirable handling characteristics.

If you're not going to drive the car on the street you can save a lot of weight by replacing the side and quarter windows with DIY made out of lexan. It's relatively cheap and easy to do. Any industrial plastics supply house will sell 4x8 sheets which they'll cut down to 4 ea 2'x2' sheets which should provide enough material. Trace cut and mount.

One of the most valuable tools i bought was a nut insert installation tool with a 4,6,8 and 10mm adapters along with a supply of nut inserts in the same. Super handy to mount anything anywhere and eliminate the plastic versions that fall out or get lost.

Enjoy the build and have fun on the track.
    Last edited by CMM3; 02-22-2018 at 03:20 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Awesome thank you! Please feel free to give me any advise. As of now I'm trying to get it street legal to drive to any local AutoX we might have but otherwise is a trailer car. I don't wanna spend 4 hours and the money getting to a track to work out the kinks if you know of any you see. I did make my own quarter windows, they were a pain in the .... As for everything else I went mostly AKG and PF with only the control arms bushings being oem style. I am about to replace the motor mounts with oem style mounts, so I reconsider?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Wheel question: https://esrwheels.com/collections/sr...=2967373152296

18x8.5 +35 work or go 9.5 +40?

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    Those suckers look heavy! What size tire are you planning to run? I wouldn't see a reason to run 18's unless you want larger than 255. Or if you just like the look of course.

18 inch tires will also be a lot taller. Harder to fit and reduced gearing on the track. Just my 2cents

My Cars
    1995 M3
    They tell me those are 22lbs.

I'm looking for a track wheel, but something that looks good too. I don't care for the Kosei's. I do like the Arc 8's. I have a sets of 18" slicks already and would rather go with as much tire as possible.

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    I guess thats not too heavy. Arc8s are only a couple pounds lighter.

Apex is having a group buy on 18s right now...

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I found a set of Kosei's that might be too cheap to pass up.

Here's my chief mechanic finishing my header install...

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Added some new shoes ans trying to get them sorted. 18x8.5 et30 with 245/45 slicks. I added 15mm spacers up front and I'm getting some rubbing and overall they just don't feel right. The pass side caster seems to be off, is that adjustable on these cars? I have camber plates but don't think they allow caster.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    18x8.5 with 245/645 were too big or my caster is off. Anyone see this before? And I added some horsepowerz!

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Are you absolutely sure your lower control arms are identical? And are the shock top hats the exact same as well?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Lower control arms are all new. I just talked to SPC on my camber plates. Caster is adjustable by rotating the lower plates. Gonna drop them tonight and see.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Think I found my probelm. I believe they sent my control arms for 96+

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    I believe your powe flex bushings rotated in the housings

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat533i View Post
    I believe your powe flex bushings rotated in the housings
    Is it? Everything I found had them installed that way. From pics I've seen the control arms I have now are for 96+ and will measure slightly longer.

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    You may have the wrong control arms as well, but just from looking at your pictures. It appeares that the bushings have moved. Most aftermarket offset bushings require a set screw to keep them from moving.

Also looking at pictures further back, the cups on the trans mounts should be up against the transmission not the chasis cross member. The dssr is also upsidown. The bend is supposed to clearance it from the rotating flex disk (guibo)
    Last edited by Pat533i; 03-27-2018 at 01:02 PM.

My Cars
    E92M3/E36M3/E39M5/F85X5M
    It appears the driver side FCAB is rotated 180 degrees from previous pictures (offset is closer to lollipop mounting bolts) than the latest picture (offset is farther away from lollipop mounting bolts). They shouldn't rotate that easily. Also could be different control arms (95 vs 96+).

Not to nit-pick (maybe its the angle and I hope I'm wrong) but from your last pic, it appears your jackstand isn't fully seated on the chassis jackpad. And is your caliper dangling from the brake line? You want to use bungees/wire/coathanger to suspend and relieve the pressure off the brake line if that is the case. Not being critical, just trying to help!
    2008 E92 M3 6MT - Mine
    2017 F85 X5M
    - Hers
    2003 E39 M5-S2
    - Ultimate Family Sedan
    1998 E36 M3 5MT
    - Track Rat

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat533i View Post
    You may have the wrong control arms as well, but just from looking at your pictures. It appeares that the bushings have moved. Most aftermarket offset bushings require a set screw to keep them from moving.

Also looking at pictures further back, the cups on the trans mounts should be up against the transmission not the chasis cross member. The dssr is also upsidown. The bend is supposed to clearance it from the rotating flex disk (guibo)
    Offset bushings are correct but rotated wrong during install I assume. I rotated them both today. The control arms appear to be 96+. Problem is some better but only the pass side is rubbing now.

As for the other parts I removed them the. Uuc mounts were too harsh and the dssr hit the bottom of my aftermarket shifter.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Bottom pic is drivers side at same steering point as pass side. I'm going to take it for alignment this week to see if it helps. Its never been aligned.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast