Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery Oil Leak

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    Glad you found the problem. I've never seen an oil leak there either. Getting to it should be fun...
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan 5sp- Black
    I had to make a tool to get it out, but it worked. This is an impossible job without a lift. That really was a pain to get to. Literally. Got it tightened up last night and going to test it tonight.

I changed it out to a 10mm bolt to make it easier to install. I cut it off to the same depth as the original, and with the rubber washer and RTV gasket maker, it shouldn't leak again.

A few tags in case people try to search for this leak in the future...
    oil leak rear back of head 5mm allen head bolt 10mm threads e36 m3

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    Nice work. The leaking plug is probably not a super a common issue. But - maybe people don't know there's a hidden seal way back there and they assume it's the VCG. Or they just accept some amount of oil dripping as normal (which of course it isn't). I wouldn't have found the leak on mine unless I pulled the head to replace the HG years ago. And yes, the plug is quite difficult to access without removing the head. Hopefully that was the only source of the oil and you're good to go now!

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Just curious why this plug would leak, it seems there is no reason to ever loosen/ remove it at all or ..?

OP, how is your fix holding up? And did you say the easiest way to reach it was from below, wouldn't that mean reaching around the trans bellhousing??
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post
    Just curious why this plug would leak, it seems there is no reason to ever loosen/ remove it at all or ..?
    True, it shouldn't leak because nothing comes near that plug and under normal circumstances there's no reason to mess with it. But mine definitely leaked. It's probably a very rare occurrence. I suspect over many years and many heat cycles the dissimilar metals expand & contract which can eventually cause the aluminum seal washer to leak. There's pressurized oil behind the plug that'll find its way out any small leak path.

My Cars
    turbo e36 m3/ stock s50/e30 m3
    mine was a 17mm bolt it was very loose..I blame it on the machine that maybe they loosen or remove that bolt when they put the head in the hot tank. Other than that, I have no idea why it was lose

96 M3, GT4094R, Arrow Rods, CP Pistons, Elring HG, cutring 87mm, 10 mm ARP studs,MS3pro, EMC Intercooler, n54 6 speed with Motiv twin disk, ZT-2 wideband, Zionsville Radiator, X-brace, H&R springs with bilstien shocks, QTP electronic cutout, Line Locks, stock exhaust 455rwtq, 453rwhp at 14 psi 91 octane.......684rwtq, 681rwhp at 24 psi running flex fuel E60 at time of dyno tune.

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    I had to make a tool to get it out, but it worked. This is an impossible job without a lift. That really was a pain to get to. Literally. Got it tightened up last night and going to test it tonight.

I changed it out to a 10mm bolt to make it easier to install. I cut it off to the same depth as the original, and with the rubber washer and RTV gasket maker, it shouldn't leak again.

A few tags in case people try to search for this leak in the future...
    oil leak rear back of head 5mm allen head bolt 10mm threads e36 m3

Very nice work! Glad you found it, and thanks for posting your solution.
    "It's not what you buy- it's what you build" - unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by EnlightenMe View Post
    Thanks, you've been more help than most mechanics in Souther California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beitie View Post
    Yet another great post mgoods50!
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillajin View Post
    Thank you everybody who inputs here, specially mgoods50!

My Cars
    E39 530i
    I also just had this problem. Recently replaced the VCG and was still getting lots of smoke in the cabin when resting and oil dripping from my sway bar after driving. Took the valve cover off to reinspect and didn't find any cracks, although it may be warped that didnt explain the amount of oil. Did some searching and thankfully found this thread. The hex bolt was rotating freely and soaked in oil. Just wanted to say thank you for those that contributed to the thread, I was getting ready to tear this thing apart. Hopefully others find this!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12