RM European Auto Parts

Thread: E36 Turns Off When Hot

My Cars
    1997 BMW 323i E36

E36 Turns Off When Hot

Hi everyone!
    This is my first post.
    I'm Mick, a Portuguese guy living in England!

I got a 1997 E36 323i, 2.5, 6 cylinders M52, and when its hot, if I'm running, the RPM goes down for half a sec, and if the same happens when I'm stopped, it'll turn off... After this, most of the times (not always), it appears to work only with 5 cylinders I guess (have characteristics of a flooded carburettor)... It's not working good, but only after this... All this start after some time in heavy traffic... Till then its working perfectly!
    I changed the spark plugs, it's a bit better but it still doing the same sometimes (less frequent I guess). I'm now trying to check the coils (and I'm waiting for one in the mail), but it's difficult because its not happening all the time, and I have to check it only if it's doing it! I'm checking the coils by unplugging one by one to see if I can hear any sound change... Till now it always change, like it should, but I'm convinced that it must be one of the coils anyway... Am I wrong? Works fine when cold, so I think the option to check it with the multimeter is not an option??? Or can I check it anyway? But when cold its working really great! If I should check it cold with the multimeter, which pins should I check?
    Also, I think the coolant was low, so I added some (probably a bit too much... I hope it will flush it out!???), because it can also be some air in the cooling system????? I squeezed it and tried to take out the air... Haven't see any coming out, so I guess its ok...

The best description I read was this:

"Symptoms of a Faulty Ignition Coil
    One of the most common symptoms of a faulty ignition coil is when the vehicle runs for a while and then the car's engine suddenly dies for no apparent reason. This occurs after the ignition coil or module gets too hot, and usually will correct itself after the engine module cools. In some cases, a bad ignition coil will result in the vehicle not starting it all. Or, it may have characteristics of a flooded carburettor, where the vehicle runs very poorly or jerks and stops erratically."

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair...-ignition-coil

Please help!
    Thank you so much in advance!
    Best regards

Note: I hope I made myself clear about this... My English is not the best...

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I would inspect your rubber bits under the hood. At that age, there is a very good possibility that you have a vacuum leak on the motor and it can cause this too.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1997 BMW 323i E36
    Totally agree! I'm just waiting for the OBD scanner and hope that can show any faults... Anyway, the ones I can see are not in bad shape... Maybe the others are faulty... Hopefully the scanner will tell me something about it... Well, hopefully NOT hehe
    On the other hand, I changed the spark plugs last week and one of them was loose! Maybe it overcharged the ignition coil, that's why I already bought one (used). I hope this is the problem...
    Thanks dworthy

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    That hand held scanner will tell you about 10% of the info that is useable. If you see an P0171, lean code, then you do have a vacuum leak.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1997 BMW 323i E36
    Yup... That's not as powerful as the professional ones... I'm aware...
    How about the coil? To my knowledge it makes sense... What do you think? It can be the coil? Its only doing it sometimes, and always when hot... My bike had bad coil and it was doing the same thing... Looks like a flooded carburettor...
    Thanks

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    You can test each coil, all you need is a basic hand tool set, and a digital multi-meter that has Ohms. The test procedure is to test between the two outer prongs on the connector of the coil and it should be .4 to .8 ohms.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1997 BMW 323i E36
    Yup. The problem is, IF it is the coil, its only malfunction when is hot... If it's cold, is OK, I think, so it maybe don't show any anomalies... So, when is cold maybe it shows the correct values, no? Or it will show weird values anyway?
    Anyway, when the coil arrives, I'll put it where the spark plug was loose and see what happens, if it's still doing it, I change to other cylinder until I find the one........ Or not

Thanks so much

My Cars
    1997 BMW 323i E36
    It wasn't the coil, or the MAF... I'm trying the O2 sensors...
    I'm testing them with a voltimeter and it reads 1.8/1.9V (oscillating) on the front one, and around 5.8/6V (oscillating as well) on the back... The back one is wrong, isn't it?
    Thanks

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    If they are original, which is suspect, then they are over-due for replacement. The signal should be less then 1.0 volts to show proper operations. However if you are getting a rich and it is that high, then I would suspect something else. You will need to be able to see the live data to put it all together.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1997 BMW 323i E36
    Cat?
    I ordered 2 used O2 sensors... Hopefully it will work better. If they do, with time, if needed, I'll order some new ones.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    A clogged cat you would feel all the time. But start with the preventative maintenance stuff first.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1997 BMW 323i E36
    My mechanic says the crankshaft sensor is gone bad... I read about it and people say that the car wont start or will be difficult to start... My car starts first time all the time, cold or hot... I'm really stuck here.
    It runs fine for 20/30/40 minutes and after that the revs go down and up in half second, after that it looks like a flooded carburettor..... If I'm stopped when the revs go down and up, the car dies, but it starts right after that no problem, but it'll look like a flooded carburettor anyway...

Crankshaft sensor???
    Fuel filter???
    Oil change???
    Battery??? When I bought the car, found a very small battery inside... No way is the 72ah that should be... So I had a larger one at home, not the 72ah, but 60ah... Not enough? Makes no sense to me, but.............................

I bought this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1514825389...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hopefully it'll work with the 20pin adapter... If I can manage to install and understand the software. I downloaded it but I couldn't find the EXE...

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I would go with what the mechanic has told you, start there first. A crank position sensor is a common fail point on the M5X motors, and at 15 plus years of service, the electronics can break down.

You have the correct software, but not the correct connector, get the ADS round connector.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1997 BMW 323i E36
    I bought the sensor already. Not the genuine though, hope it works fine! Should be here Wednesday or so...

Can I use the 16 to 20 pin adapter? It's because that new cable will cost more £40.... Hope so... I have the adapter already...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tiny-ADS-Interface-with-diagnostic-connector-for-BMW-INPA-DIS-EDIABAS-/261436615298?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3 cded62a82

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The connector I have is a R-232 to the OBD-II connector, then I have an OBD-II to the ADS connector. So short answers is yes!
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1997 BMW 323i E36
    Finally I managed to plug it into the machine! Crankshaft sensor! It'll be changed tomorrow morning

My Cars
    1997 BMW 323i E36
    Ok, this works

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1309054269...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What is the EWS? Immobilizer?

Put a new cranshaft sensor and its fine now

- - - Updated - - -

Those modules not responding means its not compatible with my car, right?

In the end the laptop battery run out lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mickcardoso; 03-03-2015 at 12:37 PM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yes, the EWS is BMW's version of anti-theft. You should get something from the ABS/ASC, and I am willing to bet that the EWS was the root of the problem all along, for this can also cause longer cranking too.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    Hi mick i dont think e36's have carburetttors they are all on fuel injectors as far as i know