Thread: help decide on car please?

My Cars
    330ci

help decide on car please?

well i was looking into the e36 m3, closed the deal and everything... but dad backed out when he found out and i wasnt able to get it >_<

so i must go back to the drawing board because i do not have a clue as to which car i should purchase now. So here is my list of candidates (you are free to include any that you think should be included)

(no order)
    1. 2001 330ci (looks good, practical, lacks in performance)
    2. 2001 s2000 (looks good, not practical, good performance)
    3. 2004 rx8 (looks good, decent practicality, bad performance)
    4. 1992 mr2 (decent looks, decent practicality, great performance)
    5. mitsubishi evo (good looks, decent practicality, great performance, bad mits rep that scares me)

the e36 some people might find more attractice than what i rated but looks is all opinion =)
    i would only have up to 30k so i suppose if i got a cheaper car i would be able to add modifications to it
    could someone tell me about how reliable the evo is? i dont think i would be racing too much so im hoping the clutch wont wear away as fast as most people claim
    i dont know if i want the old mr2 (well i do but i dont know if my parents would approve)
    i would love the s2000 if only it had some back seats =/
    rx8 i hear has potential for aftermarket products in the future so thats a plus
    the 330ci would be balla to have but it is the most expensive of the group and i dont know if i could take it seriously as a performance car since its really not in the same league as most

sorry if this was hard to read :P

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Why did your dad back out when he found out about the e36 m3? My guess is because it's a sport car, just like the s2k, rx8, mr2, and evo. If he said no to the e36 m3 he is certainly not going to say yes to one of those cars.

What about an e39 540/6? Or a brand new Toyota MR2 Spyder, if you're already looking at an old one. They get 33 mpg and cost < 25k out the door. Don't get an rx8.

My Cars
    330ci
    he didnt like that the e36 was an older model with high miles for so much money =/

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    um... why aren't the 330 or RX8 good performers? what exactly are they "performing"?

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    98'BMW E36 318is,98'BMW E36 M3
    If you want something new then i suggest you to buy rx8,it is not the fastest car but it is very fun to drive plus it looks very individually.
    If you want a very powerful and reliable car then buy a BMW,all BMW models are great and it is a great pleasure to drive them.
    My 98'///M3 Coupe Individual

My Cars
    330ci
    well i guess they perform well in their own categories, rx8 being a great handler

i guess the 330 compromises most of what i want.. being the wow factor (being quick, looking good, practicality)

i guess my definition of performing though is being able to make 'kills' which id ont see many of in the kills forum. usually all e36 m3s because 330s can only hand cars that most people dont even take seriously.

i do like the rx8 because of its uniquity though
    if only i were certain that they had some potential it would probably be at the top of my list

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    so you want straight line speed?

as a suggestion: get what car you want with a manual transmission, and swap the differential to a higher ratio. This will drastically improve your off the line speed, and is very inexpensive to do. If you find a diff at a junk yard, you are looking at about 200 in parts, and another 100-200 in labor, by far the best bang for buck mod, especially on an E46.

My Cars
    06/98 540i/6, E9
    Labour? Just do it yourself

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by axxessdenied
    Labour? Just do it yourself
    just making the safe asumption that he doesn't do his own work.

hell, I'm paying for my diff swap with a batch of cookies.