Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 2002 BMW M3 Convertible "noob"

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Have you tried a local Independent euro garage? For those prices, I would really shop around to find another shop. At your cars age you really don't need a roundel stamped on every part that you plan on replacing.

I am willing to bet that you would pay about half as much at a euro shop then a dealership on this. Too bad I don't live nearby, for it would be only 40 bucks in labor for me to do this job.
    I know I’m over paying. But they gave me a 228I M package as a loner for the 3 day possible 4 day weekend. I took it to NYC for New Years. Fantastic car!! So it doesn’t hurt as much!

I know I can probably do this job myself with help from YouTube vids. The problem Is that I don’t have another car waiting for me to use it if the ///M3 breaks down. I do have a 02 GTI 337 with 7k on the clock parked on the driveway ready to go. But winter is brutal here with salt and whatnot on the freeways and I don’t want to use the GTI on it. I just can’t fix the ///M3 with temps 5 degrees at day time. I don’t have a place or friend with these resources. Otherwise I would tackle myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I keep forgetting that you live on the East coast, not the lovely warm weather of the Azores

Also get the BMWCCA membership to get that 10% off at the dealerships, for that would be a C-note off and membership is like 50 bucks for the year.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Last week i started to have some serious vibration on my steering wheel at 45 and 55MPH. It would get worst when i applied the brakes. I thought it could be snow on the rim, cuz it had snowed hard the night before. So, i didn't think much of it and just kept driving...The weekend came and i noticed that my front wheels where worn on the inside part of the tire. Meaning the part of the tire that stays inside of the fender. So, i purchased two new tires 225/45/ZR18 installed them on Friday. Got a little better, but still had vibration on the steering wheel and the car would shake like a blender. Meaning something was wrong with my front driver side tire/rim or rotor. Cuz it felt it was coming from there when i drove the car. By Wednesday i figure that the only thing that could of be wrong with that wheel is a "warped" rotor. Cuz my tire and rim was getting really HOT and i had a ton of brake dust on the rim surface. Got to a point where i could smell rubber odor
    Today i left it at the dealership to figure out what is wrong with it. Because they were the ones that did a full brake service back in June 2017. So if indeed it is a warped rotor i shouldn't pay for anything...so i hope!
    Now im driving a X1 brand new as a loaner until they call me back with updates

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well I have noticed that when those rotors do get worn, they tend to accumulate deposits, as in actually rotors don't warp. It is these deposits that chance the face of the rotor, thus giving an appearance of being "warped". This is a layman term, that tech's use to explain what happens.

I think there might be other problems, as a rotor going bad won't cause the inside of the tire to wear out, that would be something in the suspension or bearing. The fact that the rotor is getting hot can be two things: Bad/sticking caliper or bad bearing.
    Last edited by dworthy; 02-02-2018 at 06:12 AM.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Well I have noticed that when those rotors do get worn, they tend to accumulate deposits, as in actually rotors don't warp. It is these deposits that chance the face of the rotor, thus giving an appearance of being "warped". This is a layman term, that tech's use to explain what happens.

I think there might be other problems, as a rotor going bad won't cause the inside of the tire to wear out, that would be something in the suspension or bearing. The fact that the rotor is getting hot can be two things: Bad/sticking caliper or bad bearing.
    Got a reply from the dealership on what’s wrong with it.

Code:
     Ben,
    It is the drivers front brake caliper that's faulty. It looks like the brakes can be saved, but need to replace the caliper first then re check. I can get a caliper for Tuesday -$850.00 for the replacement.
    Let me know

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible

2002 BMW M3 Convertible "noob"

I’m seriously think of putting it for sale. I can’t possible take anymore.!
    My insurance policy is up on March and I will make a decision by then.

Last edited by Benocehcap; 02-02-2018 at 12:04 PM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well as they say: "When it rains, it pours"

I had my fun with dealerships, that is why I do my own work. Again you should check out local Indy's, while you won't get a loaner car to ride around in, it will still be about half the price you are paying now.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Got the car back today and it was a frozen caliper. Got to ride around on a brand new X1 for 5 days “500” miles. So not to sour about it.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    The car is official up for sale. Please send me PM if your interested on a serious clean vehicle that only the dealership have touched
    Thx!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678