Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2002 BMW M3 Convertible "noob"

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Yeah, that is pretty corroded, and that means resistance. The more resistance means a higher power draw to get things to work properly.

I am glad it worked out in the end, for sometimes the cheap stuff really does work.

I been watching some youtube vids no how to change your differential. What is the BMW ///M3 part number for the oil?? I will try to do it myself

please add link...
    thx
    Ben

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Do you want the OEM oil or prefer a specific brand.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Do you want the OEM oil or prefer a specific brand.
    The oem specified by BMW
    Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    P/N 83222282583 It's suppose to be a kit of 3 500ml bottles, but some places sell each one individually.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    P/N 83222282583 It's suppose to be a kit of 3 500ml bottles, but some places sell each one individually.

God damn!!

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...erential-oils/

I have seen so many videos on youtube on how to change your differential and ALL of them use the wrong fluid... Now i know why...

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Brah, use a Forum Sponsor:

Diff, and you will need 3:
    https://thebmwminipartstore.com/part...&siteid=218365

Trans, and you will need 2:
    https://thebmwminipartstore.com/part...&siteid=218365

I like Turner, but why use an "Equivalent to" when it maybe the only time you will have to replace them?

I bought the 5l jug of the MTF-2 since all my BMW's use it.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Ok,
    The eBay FSU unit work just fine. But my AC stopped blowing cold air???! I can hear the compressor kicking in and now it makes a can spraying sound from my cabin vents. Like the hydrogen his going thru the pipes but there is no cold air coming out of the vents???

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    More than likely, you are low on charge. Best to get the system evacuated and checked for leaks, than refilled.

Does the pusher fan in front of the radiator come on with the compressor?
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Happy one fifty

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Cool, today I spend my time with an Inspection-II. Come to find out you only need 1.25l to fill the diff, so in 50k from now, I will only need 1l of diff fluid!

Well the car is happy and stored away for this winter, will pull it out in April.

So I am guessing that the A/C is working properly now?
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Cool, today I spend my time with an Inspection-II. Come to find out you only need 1.25l to fill the diff, so in 50k from now, I will only need 1l of diff fluid!

Well the car is happy and stored away for this winter, will pull it out in April.

So I am guessing that the A/C is working properly now?
    No I haven’t had time to check it. Summer is over, so I have no rush. Only Hot air is just fine for now lol
    I was going to change the oil. But it’s been raining every weekend for the pass two weeks so that didn’t happen. I usually change it at every 6k. This time it just pass the 8k mark for the first time since I had this car. Going to safe the oil that I purchased for the next cycle and take to the dealership for the valve service. They have to do an oil service so no use for me to change it. I will tackle the differential myself. Should be easy cuz the dealership did inspection II at 100k.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Ah makes sense, as I don't drive in late fall until early spring. I will be doing the VANOS while she is sleeping and send it back to Dr. VANOS to fix it.

I would check to see how much the Dealership will want for the A/C check. If you plan on driving the car in the winter time, it will need the A/C for that helps to pull the moisture out of the cabin.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Another two weeks of work wasted under the bonnet.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Funny as I get my oil and filter from these guys and it runs way less than what they are charging you: https://thebmwminipartstore.com/part...?siteid=218365

Perhaps they can price match any other dealership. Are you using your BMWCCA discount?
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Funny as I get my oil and filter from these guys and it runs way less than what they are charging you: https://thebmwminipartstore.com/part...?siteid=218365

Perhaps they can price match any other dealership. Are you using your BMWCCA discount?

I never let them do the oil change. They charge $177 per visit. I only let them do this time, because they had to adjustment the valves and i think they need to change the oil with that service. They didn't ask, i was the one who told them. They like me there, cuz they always set me with a loner 2018 X1 Didn't like it at all the X1...alot of lag!

Im not a member of the "BMWCCA" yet...But if i get another BMW i will. I had no idea that the ///M3 were so high in maintenance. You really need to have mechanic tech experience or a really good paying job to keep this car running at cheery conditions... I dont have either

It could be my imagination, but it feels like the engine is running stronger and smoother...

I need to change my side mirrors. They are all burned out. I saw some on Ebay for about $65 for the pair. Probably knockoff, but at this stage i don't really care. My main goal it to make it good. The trunk struts are rusted out, i need to change that and right below the rear tail lights on that metal strip there is some rust bubbles. I want to fix that, but again its my daily driving car, summer and snow raining days. Don't think its worth it...
    thx

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Adjusting the valve will normally do that, bring the motor up a bit.

Yes, all the "M" cars are expensive to run and maintain. I like to tell people that "M" stands for Money, not Motorsport as it will bust your wallet wide open!

At 65 bucks for both, that would be a good price for the glass. I had to replace the passenger side already as it had started to burn. The wagon started to do the same on the driver's side, but not the passenger, go figure.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Adjusting the valve will normally do that, bring the motor up a bit.

Yes, all the "M" cars are expensive to run and maintain. I like to tell people that "M" stands for Money, not Motorsport as it will bust your wallet wide open!

At 65 bucks for both, that would be a good price for the glass. I had to replace the passenger side already as it had started to burn. The wagon started to do the same on the driver's side, but not the passenger, go figure.

Can you tell me if these mirrors are suited or fit for my ///M3 ? I really don't want to take the glass apart and break it with out having the replacement in hand

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Going to need a link or something to look at those mirrors.

The mirrors themselves are hard to break on removal unless you plan on using a crowbar to take them out. I just use a flat tipped screwdriver wrapped in electrical tape, and put it under the bottom of the glass, then gently pry up.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Well, today the ///M3 had a little surprise for me about two blocks from my house at the lights. It started to shudder or vibration from the engine. I though i was on the wrong gear or something until i look down and see that indeed i was on first gear taking off from a set of traffic lights...As i look ahead i noticed that my " check engine " got lid on the dash board...

In my opinion i think its a bad coil or miss-firing somewhere on one of the six cylinders...No really sure if its that. I will drop it off at the dealership on Tuesday 2, 2018 to have them look at it.

Happy New year to me i guess!

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Got an answer from the dealership today, after i drove it there to drop it off for the weekend and to be serviced on Tuesday. They called and said two of my coils had failed. So, they asked me if i wanted to change all six and spark plugs...I said yes, why not? pile it up!

Pre costs quoted $1,000

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    And why not do it yourself? Those are not special plugs, just the standard 5/8 spark plug socket will work, and a 3/8 drive ratchet set. The only special tool you would need is a Torx set which you can get at any Sears store.

This guy isn't too bad in explaining how's it done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhP0wlJkpC0

Plugs: NGK DCPR8EKP $12 each or $72 for all 6: https://www.amazon.com/NGK-DCPR8EKP-...ype=automotive
    Coils from Bosch OEM stuff: $30 each or $180 for all 6: https://www.amazon.com/Ignition-Bosc...s=p_89%3ABosch

So total price for parts is $252, I wonder how much the dealership is charging for labor?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Benocehcap View Post
    Got an answer from the dealership today, after i drove it there to drop it off for the weekend and to be serviced on Tuesday. They called and said two of my coils had failed. So, they asked me if i wanted to change all six and spark plugs...I said yes, why not? pile it up!

Pre costs quoted $1,000
    Jesus man, that's the easiest thing you can do yourself......
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    Jesus man, that's the easiest thing you can do yourself......
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-12138657273kt

Save yourself the $750+ and you can literally DIY this tune up in under 2 hrs taking your time.
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-12138657273kt

Save yourself the $750+ and you can literally DIY this tune up in under 2 hrs taking your time.
    I don’t have a garage. And right now we are experience 0 at night to 20 degrees at day time at most on the sun. I know I’m over paying, but when u don’t have anybody to lay u a hand and when this car is my daily 500 miles a week car to serve me. I need to do what I need to do.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Have you tried a local Independent euro garage? For those prices, I would really shop around to find another shop. At your cars age you really don't need a roundel stamped on every part that you plan on replacing.

I am willing to bet that you would pay about half as much at a euro shop then a dealership on this. Too bad I don't live nearby, for it would be only 40 bucks in labor for me to do this job.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast