Thread: n55 turbo manifold on M54?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs

n55 turbo manifold on M54?

Are these swapable, I can manage some minor alterations.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    What are the minor alterations you have planned to turn the round ports into oval ports, assuming the ports line up and the bolt holes line up or there is enough space to enlarge them? Probably you can find a Facebook group with creative kids hacking stuff together cheaply — and perhaps a few doing a nice job — to turbo an M54, but there has been very little of that sort of activity here where the crowd is older and probably not on as tight a budget. I’d buy a bottom mount manifold like the SPA and slowly and carefully buy decent parts to complete the system.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    What are the minor alterations you have planned to turn the round ports into oval ports, assuming the ports line up and the bolt holes line up or there is enough space to enlarge them? Probably you can find a Facebook group with creative kids hacking stuff together cheaply — and perhaps a few doing a nice job — to turbo an M54, but there has been very little of that sort of activity here where the crowd is older and probably not on as tight a budget. I’d buy a bottom mount manifold like the SPA and slowly and carefully buy decent parts to complete the system.
    Yea, I can get a chinese setup for 4 times the money, but thought a real factory setup might be better, if the ports can be matched up, its so cheap,I might just experiment with it.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I think the round to oval port conversion alone would rule this out as cost effective.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    I don't think you fully comprehend what all will be needed for this project. Or what all is needed for a complete turn-key turbo build. This is not something that can be done cheaply.

If you had a mounting flange adapter fabricated and machined, then you could bolt the manifolds up pretty easily. But it's going to be cost prohibitive and you still won't even be close to having a complete turbo system.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Hypothetically if you wanted to pursue this, the process would be something like this:

I have an m54b30 head in my garage. If I had an n55 manifold, then I could design an adapter using cad software and extrude it to the desired thickness. I could then 3d print several prototypes to ensure fitment. This would be several hours of drafting, and several days of 3d printing. Then i would send the .stl files and blueprint drawings to a machinist to then manufacture a metal version.

Machinists that manufacture these sorts of things usually have a minimum production run quantity. So unless you're buying 10 or more, it isn't worth their time to produce it.

It would likely be a few thousand dollars of R&D to manufacture this useless adapter piece.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    Hypothetically if you wanted to pursue this, the process would be something like this:

I have an m54b30 head in my garage. If I had an n55 manifold, then I could design an adapter using cad software and extrude it to the desired thickness. I could then 3d print several prototypes to ensure fitment. This would be several hours of drafting, and several days of 3d printing. Then i would send the .stl files and blueprint drawings to a machinist to then manufacture a metal version.

Machinists that manufacture these sorts of things usually have a minimum production run quantity. So unless you're buying 10 or more, it isn't worth their time to produce it.

It would likely be a few thousand dollars of R&D to manufacture this useless adapter piece.

OMG!, I'm thinking hacksaws ,rotary grinder, and drills, how different are they?,I mean they're both 3L sixes.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by 325bob View Post
    OMG!, I'm thinking hacksaws ,rotary grinder, and drills, how different are they?,I mean they're both 3L sixes.
    Good luck….