Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: E39 540I Jaguar supercharger install

My Cars
    99 e39 540I supercharged

E39 540I Jaguar supercharger install

This is my build thread on my 99 e39 540. I first replaced the fuel filter with a pre 99 filter without the regulator and ran a return line from there to the new reg. and fmu. I removed the intake and the wiring harness from the plastic shrouding, and pulled the 7mm intake studs from heads. I seperated the wire harness into three sections. right and left banks for coil and injectors and everthing else down the middle. I did have to splice about six or seven wires to make them long enough to do this.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the adapter bolted to head

And the jag manifolds

- - - Updated - - -

The intercoolers and fuel rails are installed.

And supercharger slid into place.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Toolman2; 01-22-2015 at 09:36 PM.

My Cars
    E36 GOODNESSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolman2 View Post
    This is my build thread on my 99 e39 540. I first replaced the fuel filter with a pre 99 filter without the regulator and ran a return line from there to the new reg. and fmu. I removed the intake and the wiring harness from the plastic shrouding, and pulled the 7mm intake studs from heads. I seperated the wire harness into three sections. right and left banks for coil and injectors and everthing else down the middle. I did have to splice about six or seven wires to make them long enough to do this.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the adapter bolted to head

And the jag manifolds

- - - Updated - - -

The intercoolers and fuel rails are installed.

And supercharger slid into place.
    Nice !! Who made adapter for jaguar supercharger ?
    i got these parts for sale

front corner light for a 4 door E36 $20plus shipping
    headlight eyebrows $20 plud shpping
    M3 OEM radiator $100 plus shipping
    M52 cams with trays high miles $150 shipped
    M3 front calipers $150 plus shipping
    18x8 offsed 35, front 18x10 offset 40 rear bsa motorsports wheels $400 plus shipping
    obd2 valve covers $50 plus shipping
    intake manifolds $50 plus shipping
    estoril blue doors of a 96 M3 2door $200 plus shipping each
    rear glass $50 plus shipping
    rear trunk lid $150 plus shipping

new 1/4 is 800 ft away ))

My Cars
    e39's
    Looking forward to this thread!
    As I stated before, communicate well and often, especially when the news is not going to be pleasant.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Make it happen!

In for updates.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    99 e39 540I supercharged
    Maximum belt rap.

I made everything myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Philly I loved you exhaust thread. Did you get it dialed in yet?

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    That's not going to slip! Looks good. Did you buy a kit or are you doing this all DIY?

My exhaust is working excellent now thanks. Not loud at all during part throttle cruise, but really get loud when I rip on it.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    99 e39 540I supercharged
    I did the machine work myself and bought the Jag parts on line. I have a magnaflo on mine sounds good but dont like the drone.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    You made all the adapter plates and such too? If so, hats off to you nice job. In for more updates.

I used to have a Magnaflow, and it did produce too much drone at 1300-1800 rpms under some load. The Dynamax VT really chopped that down and made the car more enjoyable.

My Cars
    01M5,72TA,06LBz,850,540m
    Kewl

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    This thread iz good biz. I am first in line to skeptic the n00bs who claim they'll make a awesome twin-screw blower setup super eazy cuz we have all been too dumb to figure it out until they came along. But i am equally or really 10x moreso psyched to see somebody really make somethin happen. In for the sub for sure.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1998 m3 coupe, 68 FJ40
    wow, really good work, that's something to be proud of!

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Nice! At first i thought this was going to be another "lsts talk ideas to cheaply install blower on my bmw v8"

but i see you need no guidance, setup looks great! Im curious to see numbers because they have a lot of potential when turboed.

On with the build!

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    WOW awesome progress buddy
    Buy my native installed ISIS ISTA-D/ISTA-P bmw diagnostic laptop. More Info Here!

My Cars
    e30
    Very cool. Even better you did your own machining!
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    F10 N52
    Awesome!

Make sure to imbed pix so we don't lose them with time. I don't think all of your pix are showing up in the first post.

m3mods is offline Boost Addict BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    Sick!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Wow, great thread, thanks!!! I'm not seeing a lot of the pics though. GreenTiger is on point.

My Cars
    99 e39 540I supercharged
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. Not sure what's up with the pics.
    This was a build I did last spring but decided to pull it apart, make a few changes and do a thread.
    Basically everything bolts together like jaguar intended, I had to change the bolt pattern on the intake plenum for the throttle body so it would bolt up and firewall clearance was limited but it all fits well and runs amazing.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    That is pretty tight? How do you route the intake tract? I guess we will see soon enough as you make progress.

Looks like a good project! You have the needed skills and machine shop to custom make stuff.

My Cars
    99 e39 540I supercharged
    I used 3 1/2 in. reduced from a 4 in. mass air meter. I rapped it with thermal blanket cause it was getting heat soaked after a long drive. I think I will run it into the lower bumper.

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39

My Cars
    99 e39 540I supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by M5Hunter View Post
    Very cool setup!
    Thanks M5Hunter Just wish the snow would leave so I could drive it!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Toolman2, I guess you are running the factory DME then, with only a larger MAF and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator? Assuming so, I'm interested in how much boost you've been able to run with stock timing tables? Or did I miss something altogether about how you are controlling spark timing and such?

My Cars
    99 e39 540I supercharged
    Yep, stock dme. The only tuning is with mass air meter and FMU. With the stock size pulley ( 3in. ) I was seeing 8lbs boost, now I'm seeing 9-10lbs with a 2.8in. I've had a scanner on it under full boost and all was well ( fuel trims and spark timing are good ) I have been thinking a meth injection might be good insurance especially since I'm planning a little more boost. =)
    Last edited by Toolman2; 01-29-2015 at 11:13 PM.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Wow, that is amazing that you can get away with that much boost without any means of pulling timing! Do you see spark retard (knock retard, effectively) occurring on the scanner when in boost?

I'm not really familiar with the operational attributes of these twin screw style blowers, do they have a boost curve like a centrifugal that is a nice gradual rise with RPMs, or are they more immediate providing more instantaneous boost at lower RPMs? Assuming the boost ramp is sort of gradual like a centrifugal, I think that could be contributing to your engine being able to survive without any timing retard in boost to a point. I've seen a pretty high detonation tolerance in boost for 4-valve combustion chambers at high RPM, but not at all at low RPMs when the detonation threshold is much lower.

Anyway, I thought maybe I read that this type of blower doesn't appreciate water/methanol injection, but if it does, that would give you a nice cushion of detonation resistance as you push up the boost.

One more question, are you still running stock injectors? How about the stock pump? If yes to both, do you have any idea what fuel pressure your RRFPR is generating in boost?

Assuming you are on the edge of running out of fuel for adding more boost, a water/methanol system with a reasonably high percentage of methanol can provide a little additional fuel to the equation too.

One last question, assuming that you have a wideband for tuning, are you shooting for about 11:1 in boost? I'm guessing that part of the reason some of these stock fuel system cars can run better under boost than I would expect is because they are tuned way fat at full throttle from the factory for safety.

Sorry for the novel full of questions, but your build is EXTREMELY interesting!

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast