Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S52 Lower Timing Chain Tensioner

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

S52 Lower Timing Chain Tensioner

The s52 I put in my 95 has roughly 200k miles on it. Im going to be pulling the head soon for a full rebuild. One of the things I was considering replacing was the lower chain tensioner. I was wondering if anyone knows of definitive way of determining whether or not it needs to be replaced? Id rather not spend $250 on it, but I would really rather not have a chain/guide break.

When I had the s50, I was able to bring it back to life with a $5 spring. Unfortunately the s52 tensioner is not the same design...

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    WTF? Part #9 on this diagram: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...97&hg=11&fg=25

I just looked at the price of that thing ... what are they smoking, lol. Honestly, I didn't even know it was different from the M52/M54 part. We've always used that part, with the replaceable spring and piston, and have never had an issue. We spin our engines to over 7500 in most cases. Everything else in the S52 is basically identical to M52 ... so why this part?
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    WTF? Part #9 on this diagram: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...97&hg=11&fg=25

I just looked at the price of that thing ... what are they smoking, lol. Honestly, I didn't even know it was different from the M52/M54 part. We've always used that part, with the replaceable spring and piston, and have never had an issue. We spin our engines to over 7500 in most cases. Everything else in the S52 is basically identical to M52 ... so why this part?
    Realloem's price on that is cheap too lol. The cheapest I have found it from the major vendors is $230.

So you are saying this part: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item6 could be used without issue on my s52?

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Realloem's price on that is cheap too lol. The cheapest I have found it from the major vendors is $230.

So you are saying this part: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item6 could be used without issue on my s52?
    I've been using the M52 ones for years on various engines ... I'm sure there is a reason why the M3 one is 5x the price, but I sure don't know what it is. I don't know if specifically the spring itself is transferable, but the whole unit definitely is.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    ^^Right the spring alone wouldnt be transferable but the unit itself would be. BUT I want to know if it would be suitable and acceptable to use it in my s52?

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    ^^Right the spring alone wouldnt be transferable but the unit itself would be. BUT I want to know if it would be suitable and acceptable to use it in my s52?
    Well, like I said ... really don't know how they differ since I've never used one in any of our race cars, but the REST of the parts inside the S52 (other than crank, pistons and cams) is identical to M52, so I really don't see a problem.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    ^^Thanks for the input!

Anyone else??

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Anyone?

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    I would like to know as well. Is everyone reusing or biting the bullet on the cost?

What happened to your head raj?
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    ^^ Well it NEEDED valve stem seals. And given the 200k miles I want the valve springs tested because Ive got schrick cams ready to go in(264/256) which are mild enough to be safe to run on stock springs.. BUT if my springs need replacement, I would like to know before I put the cams in.

SOOOO nothing is ever as simple as its supposed to be. I pulled the head yesterday and as I was lifting the head off the block I nicked the primary chain guide. Took a small chunk out of the top of it. I wiggled it around and noticed the chain guide is BROKEN where it mounts on the stud bolt. Which of course cant be replaced without removing the timing cover. Before the head was pulled, I could hear a slight rattle coming from the timing cover area, and now I guess I know what it is. Maybe this turned out to be a blessing in disguise as a broken chain guide needs to be replaced ASAP, and I never would have noticed it without pulling the head and breaking it further LOL.

I have all new chain guides on the way as well as a new front crank seal. As of now I have everything off that needs to be removed in order to pull the timing cover. All that is left is the crank pulley and the timing cover bolts. Not looking forward to the crank bolt, will tackle that this evening.

Anyways, now that I am pulling the timing cover and replacing the guides I will absolutely be replacing that lower chain tensioner. Only dilema now is whether to bite the bullet on the $200 s52 tensioner or go for the m52 tensioner. If I cant get a definitive answer, I will get the s52 one. I am aware that the s52 tensioner is a better design and lasts longer. BUT I would like to know if they exert similar tension on the guide. If they do, then I will get the m52 one, as I am fine with replacing the tensioner every 100k miles vs. 200k lol. I could buy 10 m52 tensioners for 1 s52. BUT if the performance/tension of the m52 is inferior whatsoever, I will suck it up and get the s52 tensioner... So if anyone could chime in I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

ALSO, I might make a DIY on the timing cover.. Not sure if anyone would be interested in it? If so, lemme know and I will document all the steps needed to remove the timing cover with pictures and text. Flyfish has a nice DIY on it but he has the engine removed. So there is some variation.. Anyways, if anyone thinks a DIY would be nice I will do so.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    ^^ Well it NEEDED valve stem seals. And given the 200k miles I want the valve springs tested because Ive got schrick cams ready to go in(264/256) which are mild enough to be safe to run on stock springs.. BUT if my springs need replacement, I would like to know before I put the cams in.

SOOOO nothing is ever as simple as its supposed to be. I pulled the head yesterday and as I was lifting the head off the block I nicked the primary chain guide. Took a small chunk out of the top of it. I wiggled it around and noticed the chain guide is BROKEN where it mounts on the stud bolt. Which of course cant be replaced without removing the timing cover. Before the head was pulled, I could hear a slight rattle coming from the timing cover area, and now I guess I know what it is. Maybe this turned out to be a blessing in disguise as a broken chain guide needs to be replaced ASAP, and I never would have noticed it without pulling the head and breaking it further LOL.

I have all new chain guides on the way as well as a new front crank seal. As of now I have everything off that needs to be removed in order to pull the timing cover. All that is left is the crank pulley and the timing cover bolts. Not looking forward to the crank bolt, will tackle that this evening.

Anyways, now that I am pulling the timing cover and replacing the guides I will absolutely be replacing that lower chain tensioner. Only dilema now is whether to bite the bullet on the $200 s52 tensioner or go for the m52 tensioner. If I cant get a definitive answer, I will get the s52 one. I am aware that the s52 tensioner is a better design and lasts longer. BUT I would like to know if they exert similar tension on the guide. If they do, then I will get the m52 one, as I am fine with replacing the tensioner every 100k miles vs. 200k lol. I could buy 10 m52 tensioners for 1 s52. BUT if the performance/tension of the m52 is inferior whatsoever, I will suck it up and get the s52 tensioner... So if anyone could chime in I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

ALSO, I might make a DIY on the timing cover.. Not sure if anyone would be interested in it? If so, lemme know and I will document all the steps needed to remove the timing cover with pictures and text. Flyfish has a nice DIY on it but he has the engine removed. So there is some variation.. Anyways, if anyone thinks a DIY would be nice I will do so.
    Damn that sucks man.

I was hoping to find the same information you're looking for as I need to replace the lower timing chain tensioner but was hoping there was an alternative to the $230 price tag for a new one.

My Cars
    WalterbogHW

S52 Lower Timing Chain Tensioner

I've beeen buying parts for my engine overhaul and I'm wondering if its worth it to add a cam chain tensioner. My motor is a '94 and its my understanding that the early Magnum motors didn't have them. Should I get one for when I change my timing chain?Brandon

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Bumping because I am surprised no one mentioned the spring can be replaced separately for a few bucks. Saw this thread and didn't realize the spring can be purchased separately. Not sure if 95's have an inferior tensioner that needs replacing with 96+ cars parts but I'm stoked to know the spring can be replaced for $5 instead of the whole assembly for $225+.

What makes it confusing is the part diagram shown in this thread doesn't come up in REALOEM. However I did find the part number which is (11-41-1-706-809) for anyone who might think they need it.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...or-less-than-1
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    ^^Unfortunately, not so fast lol..

The s52 tensioner does not have a removable or replaceable spring unlike the s50, m50, and m52. The s52 and s54 use the same tensioner, and they have no serviceable parts. They must be replaced as a unit.

As for what I did, I bought a used s52 tensioner with 7k miles on it.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post
    However I did find the part number which is (11-41-1-706-809) for anyone who might think they need it.
    Thats the oil pump and its pressure relief valve spring, not the chain tensioner.

The s52 tensioner does not have a removable or replaceable spring unlike the s50, m50, and m52. The s52 and s54 use the same tensioner, and they have no serviceable parts. They must be replaced as a unit.
    The primary cam chain tensioner is hydraulically operated using engine oil pressure. Its internal spring only serves to provide some minimal static pressure.

Neil

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5

Damn you, I pm'd the same seller after you already bought the tensioner.

My Cars
    M3 Saloon

Damn! Too bad so sad!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    Thats the oil pump and its pressure relief valve spring, not the chain tensioner.
    Neil
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...or-less-than-1

If thats the case why are people in this thread talking about replacing a $5 spring at primary timing chain tensioner (there is no discussion of oil pump not even in the Real OEM diagram referenced)..?
    Last edited by hide1; 03-19-2015 at 04:51 PM.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post
    If thats the case why are people in this thread talking about replacing a $5 spring at primary timing chain tensioner (there is no discussion of oil pump not even in the Real OEM diagram referenced)..?
    Well that turns out to be interesting.

The part number you gave is indeed for the oil pump, as I said. See for yourself, it's #7 here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&fg=30&hl=84)

However it's also for the primary chain tensioner, or at least it used to be, back in early production (to 9/94) when that multi-piece tensioner was still current. See #12 here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...85&hg=11&fg=25

This is largely moot today, since the old style tensioner is no longer available, and it's been common practice for years to replace the multi-part tensioner on older cars with the newer single piece design. The same tensioner was also carried through to the E46 M3. I don't know when it became so pricey though. When I replaced mine some years ago it was about $150; I thought that was expensive enough at the time.

Neil

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    So we still never got to the bottom of the original question about using a tensioner from the m52/m54 in the s52...any thoughts on that?
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by VaTechE36 View Post
    So we still never got to the bottom of the original question about using a tensioner from the m52/m54 in the s52...any thoughts on that?
    What's your question? I said I've been doing it for years, no issues. Are you looking for a BMW engineer to tell you it's ok?

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    What's your question? I said I've been doing it for years, no issues. Are you looking for a BMW engineer to tell you it's ok?
    if you say it in an Aerospace Engineer voice, I'll believe it.

My Cars
    1977 911S, 1998 M3
    Reviving this thread to ask if anyone else has the aluminum seal on the lower tensioner of their S52? My tensioner came loose and was leaking oil again, and so this time I thought I would replace the seal that is on there with a new one. But when I pull up the parts diagram, oddly the seal is not listed (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_6121). And if I search for the part number (07-11-9-963-418), it is not found for the S52). However, if I pull up the diagram for an S50, the seal is present (#13 in http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...85#07119963418).

Do other people have S52s with the seal present? It seems that if the part was not designed to have a seal (which would be odd), then adding one may reduce the spring force on the tensioner. And if the seal is supposed to be used on the S52, is 07-11-9-963-418 the correct part?
    '77 911S - 2.7RS
    '98 M3/4

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    I've always used the aluminum crush washer on my S52.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    I've always used the aluminum crush washer on my S52.
    What crush washer?
    I don't see one shown.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_6121

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    I've always used one ... but I also tend to use the M54/M52 tensioners 'cause I have a bunch of those, and the S52 ones are silly expensive in comparison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast