Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the mod: M5 cluster -> 540 (yes, I've read the old threads)

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Fantastic work fellas!!

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Terra, would it be possible to program the EU4 tune without the DM-TL then add the mod to it. I think by doing that, the DM-TL readiness code would show not applicable instead of not ready, meaning it should still pass an inspection. What do you think. It might open this up to facelift e38s and TU 540i that had LDP.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Terra, would it be possible to program the EU4 tune without the DM-TL then add the mod to it. I think by doing that, the DM-TL readiness code would show not applicable instead of not ready, meaning it should still pass an inspection. What do you think. It might open this up to facelift e38s and TU 540i that had LDP.
    If this works it might be fine for NC and other states but just know that my state would almost definitely pick up instantly on the Euro standard via the OBD Mode 1 PID 1C data and you'd get "flagged" (go directly to proctology, do not pass go, do not collect $200). Gotta be super careful w/ Euro tunes here now for cars < 15yrs old.

They also have been catching "inappropriate not applicables" aka in this case if the car is of a year when TL was required and it comes up N/A then they might notice and flag it. They are catching a lot of tuners for deleted / disabled DTC's these days, which was a trick that used to work brilliantly. So you have to be real careful of deleting monitors and having the cars profile not match what it is supposed to be. They'll also clear codes and check and see if you have done an 'always ready' hack so those don't work either.

Now for your proposed situation maybe this would be OK as long as you started w/ a US/CA tune, because the LDP equipped car should in fact not have the DMTL monitor, but something to be aware of for guys in stringent scan states who think they can mod the monitors/DTC's...

Admittedly we are next to CA in being worst-case for scanning (maybe worse than CA in a way... tho' we don't have to get sniffed here... but the scan 'validation checks' are more rigorous than anyone I think maybe even CA themselves) right now, but just puttin it out there.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Well, none of the E39 EU4 tunes use the right program. Might be able to use X5 software, or simply mod one of the E39 US versions

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    If this works it might be fine for NC and other states but just know that my state would almost definitely pick up instantly on the Euro standard via the OBD Mode 1 PID 1C data and you'd get "flagged" (go directly to proctology, do not pass go, do not collect $200). Gotta be super careful w/ Euro tunes here now for cars < 15yrs old.

They also have been catching "inappropriate not applicables" aka in this case if the car is of a year when TL was required and it comes up N/A then they might notice and flag it. They are catching a lot of tuners for deleted / disabled DTC's these days, which was a trick that used to work brilliantly. So you have to be real careful of deleting monitors and having the cars profile not match what it is supposed to be. They'll also clear codes and check and see if you have done an 'always ready' hack so those don't work either.

Now for your proposed situation maybe this would be OK as long as you started w/ a US/CA tune, because the LDP equipped car should in fact not have the DMTL monitor, but something to be aware of for guys in stringent scan states who think they can mod the monitors/DTC's...

Admittedly we are next to CA in being worst-case for scanning (maybe worse than CA in a way... tho' we don't have to get sniffed here... but the scan 'validation checks' are more rigorous than anyone I think maybe even CA themselves) right now, but just puttin it out there.
    JC, I see what you mean about it being difficult for inspections in some states, but think about it, if it's a problem for cars under 15 years old, that's not really a problem. As far as I know, all e39's from 2001+ got the DM-TL and therefore should be able to run the latest program. Cars older than that are 15 years or older and even then need to have the ME7.2 DME, so the year range is dwindled even more. You also touched on the other thing, which is that cars with the LDP won't be expected to give a readiness code for DM-TL and will still have the vacuum activated pump still working (I think), so maybe we can modify the US tune to remove the DM-TL code like the EU4 has.

And just saw that Terra suggested modding the US tune as well while I was writing this.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    So how far are you guys from having everything working for a MS43 M54 car?

Blackknight... I'd definitely be interested in sending you a cluster and having you prep it if it can be made to drop into my car.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post

Blackknight... I'd definitely be interested in sending you a cluster and having you prep it if it can be made to drop into my car.
    This will be considerably more difficult. Not impossible, but someone who's a hacker-type would be able to do it much quicker than me. It would probably be easier to get an arduino to send the message

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post

Oil temp gauge works out of the box on ms43, but lights don't have the subroutine. I'll let Terra explain the details on that.

I'd be happy to prep your cluster Stuck. I'm thinking that for people without PA Soft, I'll need the EWS and LCM modules as well to make sure I get the coding proper, unless I can be provided the ZCS codes, VIN, and accurate mileage of the car in kms along with the cluster. I've got a couple I'm doing this week and I'm trying to make sure I can do it for people remotely to make sure the price in my mind is reasonable.

-Paul

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Epic! Nice job
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Regarding the emissions stuff, it may be as simple as just flipping the appropriate flags below

Oil temp gauge works out of the box on ms43, but lights don't have the subroutine. I'll let Terra explain the details on that.

I'd be happy to prep your cluster Stuck. I'm thinking that for people without PA Soft, I'll need the EWS and LCM modules as well to make sure I get the coding proper, unless I can be provided the ZCS codes, VIN, and accurate mileage of the car in kms along with the cluster. I've got a couple I'm doing this week and I'm trying to make sure I can do it for people remotely to make sure the price in my mind is reasonable.
    Shouldn't be difficult to do it remotely, as long as the EWS and LCM modules in the target car are the right ones. I haven't done E39s specifically, but E46s and E9x worked fine with just blanking the VIN and mileage and then writing the VIN after installation in the target car
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 02-15-2015 at 12:07 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Shouldn't be difficult to do it remotely, as long as the EWS and LCM modules in the target car are the right ones. I haven't done E39s specifically, but E46s and E9x worked fine with just blanking the VIN and mileage and then writing the VIN after installation in the target car
    Right, but what if they don't have the ability to write the VIN after installing in the target car.

-Paul

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Right, but what if they don't have the ability to write the VIN after installing in the target car.
    If the mileage is blank, NCS or DIS should be happy to write a VIN in the same way they do to a brand new cluster.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    If the mileage is blank, NCS or DIS should be happy to write a VIN in the same way they do to a brand new cluster.
    Right, I was just thinking there might be people that don't know how to do that and would want that done for them. I guess in their case they would just send the EWS and LCM. Any other enthusiasts would have those tools and could do it themselves.

-Paul

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    I would just send the whole modules over! Can't beat that for service. But I'm in a 530 so I'm SOL...
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryana View Post
    I would just send the whole modules over! Can't beat that for service. But I'm in a 530 so I'm SOL...
    530i can have working oil temp gauge out of the box, just no warm up lights. This is what I have right now. If Terra can get the subroutines added to the DME or if someone can make an arduino (maybe I'll try it) that sends the right messages over CAN based on the received oil temps, the we can have those as well. Might even add some additional features as well (shift lights or something). Good thing Arduinos are cheap.

-Paul

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Schitzo, didn't know you were that deep into code, nice.
    One of these days I'll find time to learn either how to use all that software or brick my DME!
    Last edited by JimLev; 02-15-2015 at 10:08 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Damn, I want one now! Had no idea it was possible on the I6 cars. What do used clusters go for?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryana View Post
    Damn, I want one now! Had no idea it was possible on the I6 cars. What do used clusters go for?
    Depends, some sellers on ebay try to get $200-350, but sometimes you can find a good deal on m5board for less than $200. I won't say what I got my 3 m5 clusters for, but they were all under $200. Some people think they are useless to them since they think the mileage can't be changed, but it just takes good searching. Then, figure about $100-150 for me or someone else to zero the mileage and VIN and code it to your car. I can also repair stepper motors at the same time and I'm trying to get better at pixel repair so I can do that at the same time. All these services apply to any used e38/e39/e53 cluster, not just M5 clusters.

-Paul

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Nice work gentlemen!! Id definitely like a cluster for my 540. Will any year cluster M5 do ?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyf540 View Post
    Nice work gentlemen!! Id definitely like a cluster for my 540. Will any year cluster M5 do ?
    Any e39 m5 cluster will do.

-Paul

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    Shouldn't BMWScanner be able to do the checksum correction?
    Do you think it's possible to apply this to LDP and euro base software?

Either way fine work gentlemen.
    Trevor
    01 749i sporty, build 12/00 "Sports Barge",S62
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F
    81 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.8T,AWW
    03 VW Passat wagon 4.0 W8 6spd

GSXRliterbikz is offline Addict Number 45573... Moderator
    My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    Woohoo. Im a little late to this party but heres what I have.

I have a 2001 740 IL sport with a e39 6 speed swapped in. Currently running the latest euro tune and an M5 Cluster.
    I have winkfp, dis, inpa, ncs. What else would i need to make this work? Ive used winkfp, but im not great with computers. So editing hex might be a little nerve racking for me. But im willing to give it a try. Worst case, I brick something. I've got spares

Next up for you smart guys.......Making the 7.2 dme controlled cruise control work with 3.15 rear gears and a 6 speed

My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    Btw, I'd love to find a way to either keep my euro tune or shut off the dmtl pump ready code. My car currently has a non functioning ldp system. I changed to the euro tune since it doesn't have the ldp. So the cel doesn't come on and it allows me to pass inspection.
    If I run a U.S. Or Canadian tune with a dtml, I'll get a cel.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by 007008 View Post
    Shouldn't BMWScanner be able to do the checksum correction?
    I doubt it. BMWScanner typically isn't used for modifying DME data. But I haven't actually tried on an ME7.2

Quote Originally Posted by 007008 View Post
    Do you think it's possible to apply this to LDP and euro base software?

Either way fine work gentlemen.
    I think you will have to modify X5 or MY01+ US 540i software. The oil temp routines don't seem to be present in the other software variants.

Quote Originally Posted by GSXRliterbikz View Post
    Woohoo. Im a little late to this party but heres what I have.

I have a 2001 740 IL sport with a e39 6 speed swapped in. Currently running the latest euro tune and an M5 Cluster.
    I have winkfp, dis, inpa, ncs. What else would i need to make this work? Ive used winkfp, but im not great with computers. So editing hex might be a little nerve racking for me. But im willing to give it a try. Worst case, I brick something. I've got spares

Next up for you smart guys.......Making the 7.2 dme controlled cruise control work with 3.15 rear gears and a 6 speed
    Well I am in the process of brewing a few files that will make it trivial to do with WinKFP for MY01+ US 540is. For everyone else... I may be able to come up with something, but I need to study the differences farther before making any promises.

Cruise control I think I can do

My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    I doubt it. BMWScanner typically isn't used for modifying DME data. But I haven't actually tried on an ME7.2 I think you will have to modify X5 or MY01+ US 540i software. The oil temp routines don't seem to be present in the other software variants. Well I am in the process of brewing a few files that will make it trivial to do with WinKFP for MY01+ US 540is. For everyone else... I may be able to come up with something, but I need to study the differences farther before making any promises. Cruise control I think I can do
    Your amazing.

If I can get a working m5 with the ldp/dmtl shut off would be awesome.
    And a working cruise is the icing on the cake.

I'd be happy to help out with any testing you need. Like I mentioned I have most software you listed. My laptop was made by cdh, so it works great.
    Last edited by GSXRliterbikz; 02-15-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast