Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the mod: M5 cluster -> 540 (yes, I've read the old threads)

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Reefin Dude View Post
    RedShift- i have working versions of DIS, INPA, and others on my car PC if you would like to borrow or play around with it at some point. i unfortunately only have the very basic knowledge of how to use it.

G~
    G, are you near me? Feel free to PM if you'd not like to reveal publicly. Any idea if any of those will flash back to stock?
    2003 Ferrari Red M3 3.5L wagon // 2011 Montego Blue tri-turbo 335d wagon
    2012 Deep Sea Blue X5d // 2003 Orient Blue 330i wagon
    In progress/For Sale: 2003 Alpine White M3/ZHP wagon // 2003 Japan Red M3/ZHP wagon

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    DIS should be able to if he has version 44 (nothing newer), but it may not have the latest 540 binaries. If he has INPA, he should have WinKFP, which should also be able to flash to stock (but there will probably be some initial setup required if he never used it).

Are you okay with losing your Dinan software though?

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    DIS should be able to if he has version 44 (nothing newer), but it may not have the latest 540 binaries. If he has INPA, he should have WinKFP, which should also be able to flash to stock (but there will probably be some initial setup required if he never used it).

Are you okay with losing your Dinan software though?
    I have to. VF requires stock programming prior to tuning for the blower.
    In progress/For Sale: 2003 Alpine White M3/ZHP wagon // 2003 Japan Red M3/ZHP wagon

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Okay, that's convenient then - hopefully you'll be able to test it.

Also I was digging some more, and it turns out that the 540i tourings got their own data section for some reason (still same program version as the ones with the oil temp)

If I'm looking at it right, then 7533619 would be the version with the oil temps, and 7539338 would be the version without. Speed limiter is lower than the sport sedans, I'm not sure if there are any other differences.

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    It doesn't necessarily have to be an outdated program either. For reasons I don't quite understand, BMW has a program with a higher version number and newer build date that does not have the oil light code, and it appears to have been used on some 540s, but not all. Did some earlier E39s not use the CAN-bus or something?
    Yeah, early E39s were more like early E36s. For example, early E39s used a dedicated tach signal versus a CAN message. Hell the MID still looks like something straight out of an E36. Anyhow, I'm happy to check what the appropriate coefficients are for oil temp from the DME. Probably not gonna upgrade the software yet (although I guess I should check to see what Dinan's policy is on upgrading / restoring these things is).

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    Yeah, early E39s were more like early E36s. For example, early E39s used a dedicated tach signal versus a CAN message. Hell the MID still looks like something straight out of an E36. Anyhow, I'm happy to check what the appropriate coefficients are for oil temp from the DME. Probably not gonna upgrade the software yet (although I guess I should check to see what Dinan's policy is on upgrading / restoring these things is).
    I was doing some digging around and it looks like they all switched to doing things over CAN when they switched to the VANOS motors. So in theory the software shouldn't pose a problem for anyone (and if it does, just flash back to the old version I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    If you could make this happen on a MS43, I could test it.
    I would, but adding new subroutines to existing binaries isn't the easiest venture. I can't really even think of doing that until I disassemble and comprehend the entire MS43 binary, and that takes time.

Also, while I've identified the sub-routines that control the oil temp lights, there are a couple things I don't understand. For example, on MSS5x and ME7.2, there are two routines that do almost the same thing, and I don't really understand why there needs to be two routines.

Routines are attached to this post if you feel like taking a look (click for full size)

ME7.2

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 11.26.05 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 11.26.41 AM.png

MSS5x

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 6.35.49 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 6.47.16 PM.jpg

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    I admit to being quite confused as to what you are talking about when it comes to details and am not sure if I should be hopeful or discouraged

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
    I admit to being quite confused as to what you are talking about when it comes to details and am not sure if I should be hopeful or discouraged
    Well - it definitely looks possible to enable those lights, and it doesn't look like you'd have to do anything particularly custom. I just need someone who has a 4.6 or M5 cluster and is comfortable with flashing their DMEs.

I don't need anyone to confirm the temperature formulas or anything - I'm 99.9% sure I've got those right. I just need someone to flash one of the software numbers I've listed and see if the lights turn on. If they do, we can worry about customizing the actual temperatures after that.

Looks like there are some other cool things that can be done, like enabling the "convenience start" feature on manual 540s
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-24-2015 at 12:32 AM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Well - it definitely looks possible to enable those lights, and it doesn't look like you'd have to do anything particularly custom. I just need someone who has a 4.6 or M5 cluster and is comfortable with flashing their DMEs.

I don't need anyone to confirm the temperature formulas or anything - I'm 99.9% sure I've got those right. I just need someone to flash one of the software numbers I've listed and see if the lights turn on. If they do, we can worry about customizing the actual temperatures after that.

Looks like there are some other cool things that can be done, like enabling the "convenience start" feature on manual 540s
    This is one time I wish I had a M62TU to help you with. I threw mine out when I bought my e38 and swapped the S62 right away. I've never even driven the M62TU more than about a quarter mile and it was with bad guides, so it was very slow. Anyways, I wish I could help you out with this so we can move forward and get it working for anyone that wants them after swapping the cluster. Theoretically, If we could get these subroutines working in the MS43, it could help out e46 guys that want the M3 cluster with working temp lights.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT

What about a test bench? There's a DME (P/N 12-14-7-508-698) on eBay for fairly cheap. I'm assuming it's an M62TU DME, but it looks like it's only listed for 540/740s up to 2000. I'd be happy to bid on it and see about screwing around with this outside the car. Should just be a matter of powering it up and looking for the right CAN messages, yeah?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    What about a test bench? There's a DME (P/N 12-14-7-508-698) on eBay for fairly cheap. I'm assuming it's an M62TU DME, but it looks like it's only listed for 540/740s up to 2000. I'd be happy to bid on it and see about screwing around with this outside the car. Should just be a matter of powering it up and looking for the right CAN messages, yeah?
    I don't think it will send out the right can messages unless you also have an oil level sensor plugged in. At least on the M3 and M5, if there's an error detected in that sensor, the lights don't work

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    Terra, get your butt down here to NC and let's do this on my car! I don't have the right tools to do all the programming but I can supply the hardware and cluster.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Terra, get your butt down here to NC and let's do this on my car! I don't have the right tools to do all the programming but I can supply the hardware and cluster.
    You're in NC? I have the right tools and I'm in Charlotte.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    You're in NC? I have the right tools and I'm in Charlotte.
    Raleigh. Come on over and let's DO THIS. We'll be heroes to all E39ers and more importantly, maybe I can selfishly have my E39 M5 cluster with functional oil temp gauge. I could care less about the lights although that would be a very nice feature too.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Raleigh. Come on over and let's DO THIS. We'll be heroes to all E39ers and more importantly, maybe I can selfishly have my E39 M5 cluster with functional oil temp gauge. I could care less about the lights although that would be a very nice feature too.
    Lol, or you could bring it to Charlotte. I'm busy this weekend and next, but free the following weekend if you want to meet up.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    Free this weekend, busy next, then who knows.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus I'm not keen on driving over there and not being able to get back if we brick something LOL

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    What's a good place to tap into the CAN bus on the E39?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    What's a good place to tap into the CAN bus on the E39?
    In the E46, the steering angle sensor is the easiest to access.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    CAN bus also goes to the cluster if that's easier.

- - - Updated - - -

Free this weekend, busy next, then who knows.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus I'm not keen on driving over there and not being able to get back if we brick something LOL
    I know what you mean about bricking and not being able to drive back, but I've done this a few times and it's nearly impossible to brick these using the BMW software. I can always go back to the original software without issue.

Turns out, I'm busy this weekend, and the weekend after next, but free next Saturday. If you can find someone more local to help you out, do that, unless you can wait a few weekends.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    CAN bus also goes to the cluster if that's easier.

- - - Updated - - -

I know what you mean about bricking and not being able to drive back, but I've done this a few times and it's nearly impossible to brick these using the BMW software. I can always go back to the original software without issue.

Turns out, I'm busy this weekend, and the weekend after next, but free next Saturday. If you can find someone more local to help you out, do that, unless you can wait a few weekends.
    I can wait, most likely, but I may be able to make Saturday work also. Have to see how it goes.

Do you think while we are testing all this that we could also turn servotronic on in the GM so I can use my new M5 box a bit more easily at low speeds?

When I leave, I'd like to have the factory flash in the DME so I'm all set for the VF hex flash. Is that do-able?

Lastly, I do want to keep my Dinan transmission software. Love that stuff. Only want to flash the DME itself. Can we avoid touching the trans when doing this? I admit and apologize for my current lack of understanding of all the different modules and how they inter-relate but I do want to learn more about it.

Thanks for your offer to help. I do have a friend locally who has the software and cables but neither of us yet knows how to use it and I'm a bit skeered to experiment on a car I need working. Still researching and reading about how it all works.
    Last edited by Redshift; 01-24-2015 at 10:12 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I can wait, most likely, but I may be able to make Saturday work also. Have to see how it goes.

Do you think while we are testing all this that we could also turn servotronic on in the GM so I can use my new M5 box a bit more easily at low speeds?

When I leave, I'd like to have the factory flash in the DME so I'm all set for the VF hex flash. Is that do-able?

Thanks for your offer to help. I do have a friend locally who has the software and cables but neither of us yet knows how to use it and I'm a bit skeered to experiment on a car I need working. Still researching and reading about how it all works.
    All can be done! I can make sure you are are on running software when you leave. I'll probably also have a spare m5 cluster by next weekend too, in case we need it.

-Paul

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Damn Blacknight !! Will you be my friend !!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyf540 View Post
    Damn Blacknight !! Will you be my friend !!
    Lol, of course!

-Paul

My Cars
    08 535xit
    sorry, late to the party. i am in Durham, just down the road from RedShift.

i have just begun playing around with programing, so i would not be much help besides being able to supply a working(at least it has worked for all i have needed to do) computer and interface.

if you all work on a time to meet, do you mind if i come a long to watch and learn?

G~
    E61 Mods: Trailer Hitch/wiring, Cargo cover roller fix, Backup camera, H&R springs, ER charge Pipe, Mishimoto catch can, boost gauge, intake scoop, JB+, CSR Rear Spoiler, Full SAT retrofit.
    Coded: legal disclaimer removal in iDrive, auto folding mirrors on lock, turn signals in HUD, fan speed indicator on when in auto, Doors unlock when key removed

E39 Mods: Euro dash conversion, Dinan exhaust, Dinan suspension with Camber kit, 2.81 differential, flappy paddle with double pull M mode activation/deactivation, backup camera, Video playback on Nav computer (iPod Video for video storage and playback), stereo video playback through DSP, MKIV computer, RPA Tire Pressure retrofit, Intravee II iPod integration, Euro armrest, HUD, Parrot BT, voice recognition module, trailer hitch/wiring, rear mounted 10" subwoofer with amplifier, lighted interior door handles, Evans coolant.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Reefin Dude View Post
    sorry, late to the party. i am in Durham, just down the road from RedShift.

i have just begun playing around with programing, so i would not be much help besides being able to supply a working(at least it has worked for all i have needed to do) computer and interface.

if you all work on a time to meet, do you mind if i come a long to watch and learn?

G~
    Sure! We'll make a party of it, though I kind of got the impression Redshift was coming to Charlotte. Whatever we work out I'm sure anyone local would be welcome to meet up. I enjoy meeting forum members whenever I get a chance.

-Paul

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast