Thread: Purchasing a M3

My Cars
    2003 Convertible Hardtop

Purchasing a M3

Hello, I am not usually in this section as I have a 2001 740i and a 2003 M3 convertible hardtop. My next and final purchase for some time will be the e92 and maybe even an e90 as I saw one four door in gray that was gorgeous... But probably an e92...

Any recommendations would be great... detail is best. I made a mistake when I purchased my 01 740i as I spent a lot a money and time on it to bring to a good place. Your ideas and recommendations would be great so I don't have giant repair bill right after purchase... I don't mind doing some work on my own.

Thank you,

Tom
    Last edited by tomloans; 01-21-2015 at 01:59 AM.

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Things to worry about. Rod bearings, rod bearings, rod bearings.
    Then the A/C goes bad if it's used a lot. It's a lot for labor to change it out.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    2003 Convertible Hardtop
    Quote Originally Posted by aus View Post
    Things to worry about. Rod bearings, rod bearings, rod bearings.
    Then the A/C goes bad if it's used a lot. It's a lot for labor to change it out.

In regards to Rod Bearings... Do you just hope for the best or is there a way to circumvent issues. Any particular year better than others for the Rod Bearing issue...should I look for one that has been rebuilt with better bearings. Rod Bearings for the most part would be close to the cost of a complete rebuild, right?

This time I want to fully understand this car before I purchase. Thank you for your help.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    The rod bearing inspection and rebuilt typically costs between $2500 to $3000.

Complete inspection/service is $2395, which includes the following:

Services Performed
    - Inspect/Replace Rod Bearings
    - Install Upgraded Connecting Rod Bolts
    - Inspect Rod Journals
    - Inspect Oil Pump nuts
    - Inspect Clean/Flush Oil Pan for debris
    - Collect Oil Sample for Analysis
    - Autologic QuickReport (determines required updates & scheduled maintenance)
    - One-on-One inspection report

Items included
    - WPC Treated Rod Bearings
    - ARP Connecting Rod Bolts
    - OEM BMW Oil Pan Gasket
    - Oil Change & Filter Change
    - Blackstone Oil Report

Optional Services
    - Replace Spark Plugs
    - 240E Software Update
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

GSXRliterbikz is offline Addict Number 45573... Moderator
    My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    I just picked up a e93 myself. 53k miles on an 08. I've spent some time over on e90 post.
    Seems to be a 50/50 on bearing issues. Some last 5k miles, some last 100k. I plan on doing an oil analysis to see how they are doing. From what I've seen, the 08's have a lead bearing that will show wear in an oil analysis, and also will give you warning before the motor grenades. But from 09 up, the bearings are different and usually give no warning before they blow up. Lots of people seem to be replacing them preventatively around 50-60k.

Another somewhat common issue is the diff mounts. The forward one wears out quickly and if not addressed, it can break the mount off the diff. Seems like an easy issue to spot, but I know people personally that have it happen to them, and they take impeccable care of their cars. Easiest fix is to replace with poly bushings preventatively.

Only other major issue I've seen is the throttle actuators. They seem to go bad between 45k and 75k they are about 800 for a new one and there are two. But it seems to be a fairly easy diy. Well documented diy's for it can be found on e90post. When mine go, I'll be posting a diy up here.

I too have 2 740's. I was looking into buying an e46 m3 vert, but settled on the e93 instead due to them having fewer major issues and not requiring valve jobs every 30k. I suspect the e93 will cost about the same to maintain as the 7's.

The e9x's seem more reliable, but have much more expensive parts. My only advice would be to
    1: buy one, you'll love it
    2: get one that's been taken care of. Even if it means spending more upfront.

I bought mine from a BMW dealer. One owner, low mile car. Had fewer options than I wanted, but it's a gem.
    Last edited by GSXRliterbikz; 01-23-2015 at 04:27 PM.

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    There was mention of an aftermarket bearing made with proper clearances being made by Clevite (who makes the OEM bearings), but I haven't read anything for a few weeks now. It's suppose to be coated and spec'ed with the coating in mind.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7

My Cars
    m3
    M3 is the way to go!
    beautiful machines

My Cars
    2003 Convertible Hardtop
    Thank u for all the replies....i did realize anyone replied until just today.. This is great info... Will pay attention... Thanks again.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Evolution
    Hey Guys, I'm in the market for another M3 and looking at a couple used (2008-09) M3 Coupes up here in Canada. There are a few on the market that don't have the MDrive option. The question is, do I need it? I'm getting to an age where I spend more time in comfort mode than any other and thinking that if I don't have adjustable suspension options I will find the car too stiff on long drives. Should I be concerned?

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Stock suspension without EDS isn't too harsh at all IMO.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Evolution
    Ya, that's what I'm assuming too. I'm hoping to find one with the 18" wheels.

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Just keep in mind, BMW suspensions are pretty much shot after 40,000-50,000 miles.

My Cars
    2003 Convertible Hardtop
    Quote Originally Posted by aus View Post
    Just keep in mind, BMW suspensions are pretty much shot after 40,000-50,000 miles.
    OK thanks but what does it cost to repair/replace the linkage outside of the dealership roughly?

My Cars
    2008 M3, 2004 G35 Coupe
    I'd say just under $1000 for a set of Bilstein Sports and labor. (I'll be replacing my shocks/struts/springs soon) And as Aus mentioned earlier, be sure to have the A/C checked out. The evaporators go out on all of the E9x models with regularity and it is a $2500-$3500 job.

It seems like most are against this idea, but I would strongly recommend a warranty when purchasing an E9x M3 unless you are a serious DIY'er. There don't seem to be too many issues with these cars that cost less than $1000 or so.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    The extended warranty debate has always come down to (at least for me) how much does the A/C cost to replace versus how much the warranty is because likely the A/C will go out within the extended warranty period. The navigation unit also can be temperamental and might need to be serviced under the extended warranty.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?