Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: M54-M52TU DIY Solution to the troublesome CCV system, (Pic Heavy)

My Cars
    1997 BMW e39 520ia
    Interesting thread! I'm also certain that my CCV is gone too. But these are for the m54 and m52tu. Will this work for the Normal m52? Because it seems like an easyer fix. Or is it better for the normal m52 to install the normal CCV? (1997 e39 520i single vanos is m52 right?)

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheil4n View Post
    Interesting thread! I'm also certain that my CCV is gone too. But these are for the m54 and m52tu. Will this work for the Normal m52? Because it seems like an easyer fix. Or is it better for the normal m52 to install the normal CCV? (1997 e39 520i single vanos is m52 right?)
    For M52 engines leave the OEM setup alone. My 97 at 210K miles and no oil consumption to speak.

- - - Updated - - -

OK guys who has done this Bavarian's setup please come back for a check up.

More importantly, I'd like to know what is the consumption rate from each of you.

My Cars
    E39's, E53, E60.........
    Quote Originally Posted by 16valex View Post
    For M52 engines leave the OEM setup alone. My 97 at 210K miles and no oil consumption to speak.

- - - Updated - - -

OK guys who has done this Bavarian's setup please come back for a check up.

More importantly, I'd like to know what is the consumption rate from each of you.
    Guess I can chime in first, one year since I installed this on my X5, still on the original PCV valve, temps here have been around 25-35 F the past few weeks, have not had any more oil consumption at all, in my 5000 Mile oil change intervals my dipstick remains at the same middle level as when I do my oil change. Oil cap has not had any yellow goop on it like with the CCV in place. Same goes for my neighbor and his E46, two of my friends and their E39's, and one other X5 that I did this on. Honestly no negative feedback from anyone. My exhaust tips stay shiny for weeks at a time when before they were black by the end of one week.
    Would definitely like to hear more from others on here though.

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianE39 View Post
    Guess I can chime in first, one year since I installed this on my X5, still on the original PCV valve, temps here have been around 25-35 F the past few weeks, have not had any more oil consumption at all, in my 5000 Mile oil change intervals my dipstick remains at the same middle level as when I do my oil change. Oil cap has not had any yellow goop on it like with the CCV in place. Same goes for my neighbor and his E46, two of my friends and their E39's, and one other X5 that I did this on. Honestly no negative feedback from anyone. My exhaust tips stay shiny for weeks at a time when before they were black by the end of one week.
    Would definitely like to hear more from others on here though.
    That's very nice to hear and thanks for the update.

I will be installing this setup tomorrow. I'll be back.

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown

Weird STFT Observation after PCV Retrofit

Just finished this PCV retrofit on my wife's 01 330XI. 5 speed.

Here are some live data of the before and after fuel trims.

Before
    LTFT both banks < 3% to 6%
    STFT both banks < 3% to 6%

After PCV retrofit First drive.
    STFT both banks = 26-27%

Got a couple pending codes for Fuel trims too lean on both banks.
    Cleared pending codes.
    Second drive.

STFT both banks = 10 to11%

No codes thrown.

Third drive
    STFT both banks = 7 to 10%

I'm thinking I have a small vacuum leak, but part of me is saying I should wait, maybe the ECU is slow to adapt.

What do guys think about the STFT behavior? I think it's weird.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I think it is weird that it went to 26-27%, and then to 7-10%.
    Recent test/ update?
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-20-2015 at 09:55 AM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    I think it is wierd that it went to 26-27%, and then to 7-10%.
    Recent test/ update?
    Worked on the car, try to find leaks. Sprayed carb fluid all over the distribution piece and all the hose connections no leak to be found there.
    Replaced the plug to the rear intake manifold none used vacuum port, maybe the old plug has small vacuum leak...Maybe..Not sure.
    Go for a drive right now. I''l be back.

- - - Updated - - -

All is better with STFT now after the stubby plug in the rear under of the IM. See pic attached. First pic all the way to the right. See the little rubber stubby plug?

STFT is now hovering around and under 3% and occasionally see some Negative readings which I'm very glad to see.

Intake Manifold 6.jpg20151219_104007.jpg20151219_103911.jpg20151219_103924.jpg20151219_103945.jpgIntake Manifold 6.jpgIntake Manifold 6.jpg

I have about 5k on my setup, no oil consumption where as before I was using around a quart every 1500 miles or so. Found out the vacuum leak causing the ses light to come on was from the disa seal leaking. Replaced with the Germansolutions rebuild kit as the rest of it was in good shape.

Glad to see others with some more miles on this reporting no negative impact on these engines

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328 convertible
    Over 5k miles since I did mine. Absolutely no problems. No oil loss at all now.

My Cars
    E39's, E53, E60.........
    Very happy to hear that this mod is helping many people. No issues even with the -10 temps we've been having here recently...

My Cars
    530iM-02
    Hi guys!

Looking to this on my 530-02 since the cold climate parts I put on 2 years ago gave up on me a couple a days ago.
    And Iīm not going down the route replacing the parts with the same inferior parts once more.

But since I live in Sweden and canīt order the same PCV-valve I need to know the specs on the valve you guys put in.
    Or are there any differences between the different kinds of PCV-valves or will any one be fine?
    What car are the one you put on desinged for in the first place?

Many questions maybe, but better to be stupid today than for the rest of my life

Regards Berggren

My Cars
    E39's, E53, E60.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Berggren View Post
    Hi guys!

Looking to this on my 530-02 since the cold climate parts I put on 2 years ago gave up on me a couple a days ago.
    And Iīm not going down the route replacing the parts with the same inferior parts once more.

But since I live in Sweden and canīt order the same PCV-valve I need to know the specs on the valve you guys put in.
    Or are there any differences between the different kinds of PCV-valves or will any one be fine?
    What car are the one you put on desinged for in the first place?

Many questions maybe, but better to be stupid today than for the rest of my life

Regards Berggren
    I honestly think any PCV valve that will fit the hose will work, the PCV I used was just one that fit the hose. I've seen plenty of pcv valves like I used on Ebay which should be able to be shipped to you.

My Cars
    530iM-02
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianE39 View Post
    I honestly think any PCV valve that will fit the hose will work, the PCV I used was just one that fit the hose. I've seen plenty of pcv valves like I used on Ebay which should be able to be shipped to you.
    That is true, I did some more digging around after my post yesterday and managed to find a store here in Sweden that sells the equivalent PCV valve. Just needed to use my googleskills a bit

So, the order is made and now I need to patiently wait for it to arrive.
    In the meantime I can humor myself with towing my car home since I didnīt have the guts to drive it home when it started to smoke like at a traktorpullingevent. Didnīt want to risk hydrolocking it.
    Just to bad I have no garage and now it -12 degrees Celsius outside.
    Freaking winter weather

My Cars
    E39's, E53, E60.........
    That is true, I did some more digging around after my post yesterday and managed to find a store here in Sweden that sells the equivalent PCV valve. Just needed to use my googleskills a bit

So, the order is made and now I need to patiently wait for it to arrive.
    In the meantime I can humor myself with towing my car home since I didnīt have the guts to drive it home when it started to smoke like at a traktorpullingevent. Didnīt want to risk hydrolocking it.
    Just to bad I have no garage and now it -12 degrees Celsius outside.
    Freaking winter weather
    Yeah the weather here hasn't been much better.
    Let us know how your install goes!

My Cars
    530iM-02
    Installation is done and the car works again.

Lucky for me that i towed the car home to a friend of mine and didnīt try to drive it.
    We removed the spark plugs and yes in every cylinder there were oil. We fired up the vacuum-cleaner and sucked as much oil as possible out of the cylinders and put everything back together.
    I needed to fill up the oil with around 2,5 liters of oil. So it has really consumed a lot when it failed. This proves what a shitty construction BMWīs CCV is.
    After that we started the car and she was running fine, just a lot of smoke/oil that needed to burn off. His neighbors were less impressed with all the smoke pouring out of the exhaust then we were that it actually started and kept running fine.

Took her out for a drive and everything seems ok.
    The only concern I have is that I now have a really strong vacuum when taking of the oilfillercap och the dipstick.
    Is this ok or can it be bad for the engine in some way?
    No lights on the dashboard to indicate any malfunctions but just curious what you guys think of it?

Some rather bad cellphone pics of the nearly completed install.

20160124_165129.jpg 20160124_165134.jpg 20160124_165143.jpg 20160124_165152.jpg 20160124_165158.jpg
    Last edited by Berggren; 01-26-2016 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added pictures

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)

M54-M52TU DIY Solution to the troublesome CCV system, (Pic Heavy)

Excessive crankcase vacuum at idle is not good, and can cause a lean condition.

PCV valves are matched to each engine application to ensure that they flow less at high engine vacuum (idle) and flow more at low engine vacuum.

Your home brew system ate 2.5L after it failed, not the BMW system. Blaming the oil usage on BMW's design isn't really appropriate considering you're not using the BMW CCV system anymore.
    Last edited by Aryana; 01-26-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Very nice! Good work!
    What is your reading of vacuum? I think as long as it's within 24 Hg it should be okay.

My Cars
    530iM-02
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryana View Post
    Excessive crankcase vacuum at idle is not good, and can cause a lean condition.

PCV valves are matched to each engine application to ensure that they flow less at high engine vacuum (idle) and flow more at low engine vacuum.

Your home brew system ate 2.5L after it failed, not the BMW system. Blaming the oil usage on BMW's design isn't really appropriate considering you're not using the BMW CCV system anymore.
    I see that I wrote in the wrong order in my post above.

No, it ate 2,5L using BMWīs solution. I had the problem with the oil beeing sucked inside the cylinders before I did the switch to the current installed version with the PCV valve. All thanks to the fact that you canīt drive these engines in cold weather if you donīt drive until they are warm enough to take away the condensation to prevent it from freezing up. And it seems odd to me that a premium car canīt be driven for short distances when itīs cold.

Quote Originally Posted by 16valex View Post
    Very nice! Good work!
    What is your reading of vacuum? I think as long as it's within 24 Hg it should be okay.
    I havenīt checked the reading of vacuum. Will do that next, when Iīm not sick anymore.

I think Berggren meant he used 2.5l of oil with the old CCV fitted which he replaced and then junked the junk and fitted the new PCV system.

On all the threads about CCV replacements they all report that the dipstick is hard to remove and waiting a few mins for the vacuum to dissipate helps but it should take a bit of a tug to remove.

I can't wait to do this mod and get rid of the bad CCV

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    I havenīt checked the reading of vacuum. Will do that next, when Iīm not sick anymore.
    I bought this little gadget on Ebay and a Torque App. Total money spent was $21. I was able to read my engine's vacuum.

BTW, it does changes as RPM increase. The more RPM the less vacuum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381464975498

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    I see that I wrote in the wrong order in my post above.

No, it ate 2,5L using BMWīs solution. I had the problem with the oil beeing sucked inside the cylinders before I did the switch to the current installed version with the PCV valve. All thanks to the fact that you canīt drive these engines in cold weather if you donīt drive until they are warm enough to take away the condensation to prevent it from freezing up. And it seems odd to me that a premium car canīt be driven for short distances when itīs cold.

I understand thanks for the clarification!
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    530iM-02
    Does any of you guys know if you are able to read the vacuum from Rheingold or PA Softs BMW scanner? Or do I need to install the "old" INPA? I have it my back of my head that Iīve seen it in INPA somewhere but since it is a gruesome install Iīd rather use some of the other programs that are already installed on my computer. If you can read it any of the programs above, what are the value that Iīm looking for?
    Found ambient pressure but thatīs the outside pressure, canīt seem to find the value for the engine.
    Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Ive just bought a PCV for a 3.8 litre jeep but it doesn't have a spring in it - it's basically a tube with a one way valve in it, like a ball bearing, it allows air through it one way only, will that be good enough?

Another question is where does the oil go in the original CCV system ? My car uses 1 litre every 350-400 miles, if I bypass the CCV and use the PCV I've bought won't oil be sucked into the inlet or does the vacuum allow the oil control rings to do their job?

231723727101 that's the eBay item number I bought, any input welcome

My Cars
    E39's, E53, E60.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazman861 View Post
    Ive just bought a PCV for a 3.8 litre jeep but it doesn't have a spring in it - it's basically a tube with a one way valve in it, like a ball bearing, it allows air through it one way only, will that be good enough?

Another question is where does the oil go in the original CCV system ? My car uses 1 litre every 350-400 miles, if I bypass the CCV and use the PCV I've bought won't oil be sucked into the inlet or does the vacuum allow the oil control rings to do their job?
    The PCV I used in this DIY also has no spring in it, if you shake it you can hear a small rattle which I'm assuming means its also a ball valve design, your Jeep PCV sounds like it will work the same way. With the original CCV the oil gets sucked into the intake manifold most likely due to a failing diaphragm inside the CCV unit. With this PCV mod there is more crankcase vacuum and no diaphragm so the oil stays inside the crankcase and out of the intake. Piston rings seem to be doing a great job as I've had the same oil level with 5000 mile oil change intervals. No more burning any oil.

Also here is a link to the exact PCV I used, I'm sure they can also ship internationally, Just search for " PCV1124DL" :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCV-Valve-Ri...1VlTEV&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by BavarianE39; 02-03-2016 at 09:09 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast