Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New E23 745i owner from SoCal

My Cars
    02' e46 //M , 84' 745i

Lightbulb New E23 745i owner from SoCal

Recently I been on a mission looking for a daily so I can finish building my E46 //M Vert build. Right now I have it Stanced out on BBS Style 5s (18x10.5 & 18x12) the problem was I was driving it every day almost and started experiencing the basic Stance problems. Bottom out, tire debeading, can't have passengers due to rubbing etc. So I seeked out for a 4 door bmw daily to get back and forth to work and carry buddies to functions. When I started my search, my buddy and I talked about what would be a cool car to daily, easy on gas and can simply add wheels to make the appearance appealing. Of course then I started looking for a E28. I loved the old school look and basic setup for easy repairs. But that all changed once I decided to look online on the forums for one and ended up landing on a one of a kind e23 out of Sun Valley,Ca. I had no prior knowledge of the car or what it was but I loved it because I had a 04' 745li before giving it to my girlfriend and didn't mind owning another one that was old school. Not until recently when I was introduced to "HitMan X" that I figured out what I Truely stumbled upon. With that being said, my new daily became my new project. For the past week I've been reading my eye balls out on what the 745i really is. I have no true knowledge of turbo's or how they exactly work so to ANYONE reading this, please share tips and/or tricks even things possibly for sale on my thread for me and anyone else who is possibly sourcing knowledge. Looking forward to meeting some of you local e21 e23 e24 e28 and e30 owners due to me being new to this vintage scene. Even you true Guru's nation wide who been running the game.
    Email:llbooljames@gmail Instagram:BoolJames <--- will be actively uploading pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BoolJames; 01-15-2015 at 01:50 AM.

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2001 330i
    I can't believe that car finally sold after a year and on top of that, ended up on our board.

We've actually talked about this car a bit in the past, it was advertised as having a "blown turbo" but I'm a little skeptical if thats true or not. Does the car run/drive at all?

Also, a basic rundown on a turbo and the system in this car. Basically a turbo is driven by exhaust gasses and has a turbine wheels in the exhaust stream that spins a shaft connected to an impeller. The impeller is in the intake side of the stream and forces more air into the engine as the shaft spins faster. The more exhaust flow, the faster the shaft spins, the more air being sucked through the intake.

This car has a intercooler on the passenger side behind the bumper (it looks like a radiator with 2 big pipes going to it) which is called an air to air intercooler. Basically, air flows through the of the intercooler and at the same time, outside ambient air flows through the outside of the intercooler which draws heat from the air going to your intake. its literally a radiator for your intake.

These cars are known for having HVAC issues, so see what works and doesn't work. When you have bad vacuum pods, the HVAC will default to the defrost vent. At 190k miles I'm willing to bet your HVAC needs work.

Here is your options list based on your Vin#

Model description: 745 I
    Market: Europa
    Type: 6991
    E-Code: E23
    Chassis: Limousine
    Steering: links
    Doors: 4
    Engine: M30 - 3,50l (0kW)
    Drive: Heckantrieb
    Transmission: automatisch
    Body Color: Bronzitbeige Metallic (139)
    Upholstery: (0181)
    Production date: 02.04.1984

Code Sonderausstattung Optional Equipment
    S401A Schiebehebedach elektrisch Lift-up-and-slide-back sunroof, electric
    S427 Warndreieck mit Halterung
    S440A Nichtraucherpaket non-smoker package
    S459A Sitzverstellung elektrisch mit Memory Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
    S494A Sitzheizung Fahrer/Beifahrer Seat heating driver/passenger
    S500A Scheinw.Rein.Anl./Intensivreinig. Headlight wipe/wash/Intensive cleaning
    S534A Klimaautomatik Automatic air conditioning
    S540A Geschwindigkeitsregelung Cruise control
    S979 Velours-Fussmatten vorn und hinten

Also, in case you're unaware, your car has a US DOT headlight/grille setup. This was really common during federalization in the 80's.
    2000 BMW M5 Evolve Alpha-N Tune, Evolve Carbon Fiber CAI's, UUC Short Throw Shifter, Dinan Front STB, Dinan Rear Sway Bar
    2001 BMW 330i ​Dynavin N7 Pro

1985 BMW 745i 18" Style 37's, Team745i Chip, Getrag 265/6, Clutchmasters FX-300, UUC Short Throw Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, Bilstein HD's ("Build" Thread")(SOLD)
    1986 BMW 735i Getrag 265/6 Swap, Strut Tower Bar, Bilstein HD's, Euro F/R Conversion, 3.46 L/S Diff (Scrapped)

2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack Stock
    2004 Mercury Marauder
    Eaton M112, 3.4 Billetflow upper, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, 4.10's, Stainless Works LT's, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, FX-R projectors, Addco F/R swaybars
    2003 Mercury Marauder JLT CAI, SCT Xcal4, Stainless Works LT's, SW 2.5" Catback
    1996 Ford Bronco
    4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, MH1 projectors

My Cars
    1982 BMW E23 745i
    nice car, are those wheels remotec type A ?
    1982 BMW 745i e23 086 schwarz 1991 BMW e36 325i 252 Calypsorot-metallic

My Cars
    02' e46 //M , 84' 745i
    I know right?? The funny part is that I dont be on forums much at all and something just told me to get on and check and here's where I found it. lol then on top of that, this is the only place to find useful information any how. The car does/did run. It's on and off right now. First it didn't because of battery and gas. Ran really rough at first but after tinkering with it and starting it up every night for about 15 min it started to run a lil smother. Then suddenly yesterday it doesn't want to turn over. I had to swap the fuel pump where the car was located to get it to run also. So idk if it's that of not. The fuel pump was pulled out of a e28 and jus thrown on by the sellers mechanic. But I looked on "realOEM.com" to look up a diagram on the fuel setup and jus kinda look over it and make sure nothing loose or nothing and realized the the hose on the top end of the "Pressure Regulater" (right in front of the manifold) had a Hugh tear in it. So I ripped it evenly and slid back on the Regulater and tighten the clamp down but nothing different happened. Now I'm tryna look up to see what the outcome of that happening can be? Bad spark plugs? Fuel pump going bad? Idk but I'm in the works of getting it back running and driving it around the block every night. Other than that there's jus a lil valve cover leak that drips down and burn on the cat I belive and smoke up a lil. I'll try to figure out how to post up pictures I took on the mobile app. And thanks for the car facts. I screened shot it for future reference.

About the wheels, yes they are. Need to be refinished for sure but there solid with all caps. I wants to sell/trade for some Borbet wheels

My Cars
    02' e46 //M , 84' 745i

My Cars
    02' e46 //M , 84' 745i

My Cars
    02' e46 //M , 84' 745i

My Cars
    02' e46 //M , 84' 745i
    As you can tell it doesn't look anything like it was advertised in the pictures. Has been washed and air but in rear tire since been in my possession. The paint honestly isn't bad , no real fading anywhere. Jus really dry, but does appear to be repainted sometime in its past

My Cars
    '83 E24-'89 C124-'07 P2
    You bought this car from Elite Auto Parts in Sun Valley, right?

I saw it a month or so ago, car had clearly been owned by a lawyer or law student, because it had tons of legal briefs and textbooks sitting in boxes on the back seat.

I was told it had a bad turbo as well. I will say that I've had nothing but positive interaction with these guys, they have various old Bimmers but mostly deal in Jaguar and Land Rover/Range Rover parts. Always straightforward and good prices, plus they let us poke around in the yard looking for stuff - which is how we discovered this 745i. We tried to get them to just sell us the euro-bumpers from this car for the 733i we just acquired but they weren't willing to part it out!

I thought the interior looked like it was reupholstered at some point, and the driver door panel looked like whoever drove it wasn't too worried about washing their hands.. but a worthy project.
    Last edited by MylesPH1; 01-18-2015 at 10:20 PM.
    '83 633CSI manual balticblau/perlbeige
    '89 Mercedes 300CE diamintblau/mondria
    ’94 Mercedes E320 Coupe Schwarz/Palomino
    '07 Volvo S60 2.5T vide grön/beige

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i
    Hey, I care about 'various older Mercedes'...what do you own? Four W126s here
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    02' e46 //M , 84' 745i
    Yea man I did. And I knw right?! I thought it was lowered until I popped the trunk and opened the doors. But I kan agree it's a worthy project for sure and the guy does know his stuff. When I tried to start it and it would crank, he took a fuel pump off the 535is in the back and slapped it on there for me. He wrote down on paper that the motor was garenteed good just for closure and re assurance that I'm buying a solid car. I'm actually impressed how together it really is. Came with 3 keys, 2 owners manual and 2 keys for the retro Remotec wheels that are on it. I feel good owning it. What threw me off was the pictures on the ad and the true actual condition. The body in the lower trunk area had a dent and he motor was def not the cleanest. BUT it did crank up and start (at least when I purchased it) all lights work, radio works no rips in the seats. Honestly the car grew on me so much in the last 2 weeks it's amaking. I haven't felt like this about a car since I purchased my e46 //M . I event wasn't this excited when I bought my e65 745li lol but right now I'm dealing this dented ass gas tank and more than likely replacing the fuel pump In the trunk. Do u knw of any BMW junk yards that was off that street? All I seen was Nissan and Porsche

- - - Updated - - -

And where did u get ur 733 from? If u don't mind me asking. I looked up just about EVERY e23 in the Socal area I can find before I stumbled across this one on the forums (didn't see the ad on Craigslist smh)

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Wanna sell one of your Remotec keys?

My Cars
    02' e46 //M , 84' 745i
    That's funny, someone asked me that a few days ago. I wanna keep them both. I'm probably gonna keep these wheels if this Borbet trade don't fall through and wanna make sure I gotta double.

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Cool, thanks for getting back to me. If you change your mind let me know. Btw, your photos caused me to go get a set of Remotecs.

My Cars
    02' e46 //M , 84' 745i
    Really?! I didn't even know what Remotecs was . I thought they were jus some random BBS reps. But after looking online it kinda grew on me. Has that retro look to it. Did u get he same exact set?

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    If yours are 15x7.5 then yes. I like the retro look and the lip.

My Cars
    02' e46 //M , 84' 745i
    Post a pic!! Mine are 16" staggered. Not positive on offset. Maybe 8 and 9. I'm gonna get them re finished once I get a legit suspension set up. I WAS gonna go air but ima keep it classy and just slam it as low as I can and let it set nice. I'm not tryna deal with fitment so much, that's what my vert is for lol

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    I like staggered. I'll try and get a pic posted. What is your vert?

My Cars
    02' e46 //M , 84' 745i
    Is the e46 m3. Posted a pic above. Stanced out. Camber on all 4. May be dropping air in it soon

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Ah, I see it there. Very nice.

My Cars
    '83 E24-'89 C124-'07 P2
    Man I forgot to check in here! First, my boy bought the 733i manual I'm talking about. It was on Craigslist, and it was listed in the E23 December FS thread, but he just saw it with a FS sign in the window sitting in Glendale. It has 16" Epsilon Modulars with black mesh, black with pearl beige interior, really good shape and passed smog easily. And as for the Mercedes, I'm a big W126 guy too! Two 560SEC's in various states of disassembly, also one dear departed 420SEL that saved me from an idiot unlicensed girl in a Ford F-150 that nailed the side.. Still looking for the right long wheelbase sedan to replace that one
    Last edited by MylesPH1; 01-25-2015 at 10:23 PM.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
    Man I forgot to check in here! First, my boy bought the 733i manual I'm talking about. It was on Craigslist, and it was listed in the E23 December FS thread, but he just saw it with a FS sign in the window sitting in Glendale. It has 16" Epsilon Modulars with black mesh, black with pearl beige interior, really good shape and passed smog easily. And as for the Mercedes, I'm a big W126 guy too! Two 560SEC's in various states of disassembly, alsoone dear departed 420SEL that saved me from an idiot unlicensed girl in a Fort F-150 that nailed the side.. Still looking for the right long wheelbase sedan to replace that one

Cool, I have a '91 560SEL, '90 300SEL, '87 300SDL, and '85 300SD. If you have not, uncork the 560 with euro true dual manifolds. I just slapped on the 'log' style units with the true dual 2" downpipes off a 500SE, the precat is now gone and I still have the main catalyst in place. BIG seat of the pants gain in power. Sure the four piece, Tri-Y, will create a broader powerband, but seeing how I spent $50 for my setup off a JY car... you cannot beat it for dollar to power gain. Last set of the four piece I saw sold for $700 without downpipes. BTW, that driver to passenger crossover pipe is only 1-5/8" OD. LOL!

300SEL rolled 302K this year. Bottom end is stock, 160-170psi on all six. I did a valve job a few years back and new front end. Needs trailing arm bushings and reverse is becoming lazy.

300SDL is down with popped headgasket. I have a 350SDL No 17 cast head to swap. New timing cover, new chain. Will be awesome, has about 244k on it last I looked. Highest mile OM603 I ever saw was 441k!

300SD has 242k on it, Sanden conversion compressor swap from Klima Kit. No more bullshit Delco R4 compressor crap. Best thing I EVER did to the car. It is receiving a front end this spring.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    '83 E24-'89 C124-'07 P2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
    Cool, I have a '91 560SEL, '90 300SEL, '87 300SDL, and '85 300SD. If you have not, uncork the 560 with euro true dual manifolds. I just slapped on the 'log' style units with the true dual 2" downpipes off a 500SE, the precat is now gone and I still have the main catalyst in place. BIG seat of the pants gain in power. Sure the four piece, Tri-Y, will create a broader powerband, but seeing how I spent $50 for my setup off a JY car... you cannot beat it for dollar to power gain. Last set of the four piece I saw sold for $700 without downpipes. BTW, that driver to passenger crossover pipe is only 1-5/8" OD. LOL!

300SEL rolled 302K this year. Bottom end is stock, 160-170psi on all six. I did a valve job a few years back and new front end. Needs trailing arm bushings and reverse is becoming lazy.

300SDL is down with popped headgasket. I have a 350SDL No 17 cast head to swap. New timing cover, new chain. Will be awesome, has about 244k on it last I looked. Highest mile OM603 I ever saw was 441k!

300SD has 242k on it, Sanden conversion compressor swap from Klima Kit. No more bullshit Delco R4 compressor crap. Best thing I EVER did to the car. It is receiving a front end this spring.
    Doesn't the '91 350SDL have a huge trap oxidizer in the engine compartment? We had both the '87 300SDL and a '91 350SDL in our family in succession - both pretty amazing at highway speeds, they built speed like the V8's.

I've been looking into what California would let me get away with on changing emissions equipment (a visual inspection is given just as much weight as any actual numbers produced at the tailpipe), and I think I have some leeway there. I'm considering a local 420SEL with a 5.6 motor installed, which would take care of my desire to eliminate the rear air suspension in a factory 560. My 420 SEL with 205k had nice even compression, I'd just put in a new water pump and radiator along with a rebuilt fuel distributor, it was still a bit slower than a stock 560 but such a lovely beast.

I've driven the 733i extensively now, it's such a different feel compared to the S-class, and also notably different than my 6er. I assume the final drive in the sedan is higher, it's turning lower revs, about 2500 at 80mph in fifth compared to about 2800 in my 633 manual. It seems long legged and really drives nicely on the highway, but a notably different feel than a W126. I love having the manual in the "big" 7 series, though parked next to a brand new 3-series, the 733i is really the same size.

I hope the 745i here winds up with a healthy turbo - it looked promising.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BoolJames View Post
    right now I'm dealing this dented ass gas tank and more than likely replacing the fuel pump In the trunk. Do u knw of any BMW junk yards that was off that street? All I seen was Nissan and Porsche

- - - Updated - - -

And where did u get ur 733 from? If u don't mind me asking. I looked up just about EVERY e23 in the Socal area I can find before I stumbled across this one on the forums (didn't see the ad on Craigslist smh)
    Not BMW specific, but the u pick it places within five minutes of Elite have TONS of older BMW's in there. I've grabbed all sorts of good parts from 5, 6, and 7 series cars sitting in there - in early December, there was the cleanest 735i in the lot at Tuxford and Telfair, even the front seats were in fantastic condition but that was before the 733i was purchased. I pulled brand new plug wires from it, it's always painful to see how much people spend on an old car before they hit an EMOTIONAL breaking point and refuse to spend a dime more.. leaving tons of good stuff in the car they turn their back on.

I'm not even gonna discuss what the 7-series was bought for. It would anger everyone. I still don't get why it was so cheap, it's a good car and a good example, maybe the manual threw off most buyers. Good.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
    Doesn't the '91 350SDL have a huge trap oxidizer in the engine compartment? We had both the '87 300SDL and a '91 350SDL in our family in succession - both pretty amazing at highway speeds, they built speed like the V8's.

I've been looking into what California would let me get away with on changing emissions equipment (a visual inspection is given just as much weight as any actual numbers produced at the tailpipe), and I think I have some leeway there. I'm considering a local 420SEL with a 5.6 motor installed, which would take care of my desire to eliminate the rear air suspension in a factory 560. My 420 SEL with 205k had nice even compression, I'd just put in a new water pump and radiator along with a rebuilt fuel distributor, it was still a bit slower than a stock 560 but such a lovely beast.

I've driven the 733i extensively now, it's such a different feel compared to the S-class, and also notably different than my 6er. I assume the final drive in the sedan is higher, it's turning lower revs, about 2500 at 80mph in fifth compared to about 2800 in my 633 manual. It seems long legged and really drives nicely on the highway, but a notably different feel than a W126. I love having the manual in the "big" 7 series, though parked next to a brand new 3-series, the 733i is really the same size.

I hope the 745i here winds up with a healthy turbo - it looked promising.

The '87s did, '86 did not (well maybe '86 CA did). Trap Ox was removed under the MB campaign and put a catalyst under the car... that has been gutted shockingly. Once you remove that and tweak the ALDA, the 603 rips. I pulled nearly a full car length on the 300SEL until about 45mph or so when the extra top end HP allowed that car to pull away. The SD and SDL are very pleasant to dork around in town, let the converter and the boost pull you along. Cannot beat low 20s city and high 20s freeway. Drives like the 560 at normal speeds but with twice the fuel economy.

When the SLS works, it works fine. I rebuilt all of it in the 560 and expect an easy 10-15 years of service. New pump? Yep... then the high pressure hose leaked. Fixed that? Then turns out accumulators wasted. Oh well, rides awesome.

733 are undergeared with that 3.25:1 Very lame. I had a manual 735i for years, fun car. Agreed on the ride, the E23 feels far more sporty but lacks in the power department compared to the MB. Both are awesome freeway cars... put 22k on the SD in one year once.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ght=hair+dryer

You will like that thread. It is now on my car, going to renew the insurance and see how it runs.
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    02' e46 //M , 84' 745i
    That's crazy, I haven't been to a pick a part yet since I've owned my e23 but ima check out some of the local ones around me first. I may see some amazing things right in my own backyard. I just hate that I been really busy and worki on my e46. I think ima pull it together right before Bimmerfest/Mfest though. Hopefully

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast