Page 93 of 109 FirstFirst ... 43688384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 2722

Thread: NBT/CIC/CCC retrofit in E39/E38/E53

My Cars
    E39 M5
    I'm about to go surf through the 91 other pages of this thread for pics of the installs in the trunk. Can anyone who hasn't already post some up, especially if there are good ways to secure the NBT without having to do too much fab work.

I also have to try to figure out what the gazillion wires are in there. The previous owner had a bavauto iPod system installed and the disc changer removed and i'm combing through a million un-plugged wires in there...FUN.

My Cars
    E39 M5
    Is there a good resource somewhere for figuring out all the wires running to the amp/radio area? I've got lots of un-used ones (at least in the current setup) and I'm not sure what's what, and if any of them are aftermarket. Unused ports I've noticed so far are a 25?-pin computer cable, a couple of full-sized coax (M and F), a PS/2, and some that I dont even have names for. Any reference guide would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Grinder34; 03-11-2018 at 10:05 PM.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder34 View Post
    Is there a good resource somewhere for figuring out all the wires running to the amp/radio area? I've got lots of un-used ones (at least in the current setup) and I'm not sure what's what, and if any of them are aftermarket. Unused ports I've noticed so far are a 25?-pin computer cable, a couple of full-sized coax (M and F), a PS/2, and some that I dont even have names for. Any reference guide would be greatly appreciated!
    Some are likely the factory phone harness, and maybe factory telephone antennas. There's a huge mass of cables in my car from the old car phone the car had under its first owner.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    2002 E39 M5
    I'm about to go surf through the 91 other pages of this thread for pics of the installs in the trunk. Can anyone who hasn't already post some up, especially if there are good ways to secure the NBT without having to do too much fab work.

I also have to try to figure out what the gazillion wires are in there. The previous owner had a bavauto iPod system installed and the disc changer removed and i'm combing through a million un-plugged wires in there...FUN.
    I made these brackets a few months ago, but never finalized them. I'll be getting them done soon. Until then, the NBT is installed in that same location but with the disc slot facing the floor and wiring up.

https://i.imgur.com/pSjQ33lh.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/FgbMDuxh.jpg
    Last edited by theshafro; 03-12-2018 at 04:39 AM.
    '02 TiAg/Blk E39 ///M5
    '08
    JZB/FR E92 ///M3

My Cars
    2000 540i6, 2008 535xiT
    I don't have a TON of the install pics, but with the Trimble, RAD, Nav computer, etc removed from back here we had a LOT of real estate. That being said, on the base of the NBT I cut up an old floor mat to set the NBT unit on, and simply double sided-taped the NBT unit to the DSP amp. Kmalinich has been pretty busy. He'll post up eventually I'm sure. Most of the harness is currently just tucked at the very back of the trunk because there's a LOT that we don't need. We were able to re-use the cars' original FM Antenna, GPS Antenna, etc. Bought an OEM bluetooth antenna meant for an F30 since the one from china still hadn't shown up.

NBT-2.jpg

NBT-1.jpg

Garage Queen: Biarritz Blue 540i6
    Daily Driver: Burger Tuned Titan Silver 535xiT
    Sold: RHD Steel Blue E46 328i
    Sold: 2006 Black Sapphire M5

My Cars
    2000 540i6, 2008 535xiT
    Grinder, I saw your PM, but I believe there is a minimum post count required for me to respond. So, my response is pasted below:

Sorry work has me rather preoccupied. Weekdays are really tough for me sometimes. I believe the cars GPS antenna signal makes multiple stops along the way to make "Ye olde" nav work. Off the top of my head(my car allegedly had MK2 nav, still had trimble) the first stop the antenna makes is to the Trimble, which is held to the back of the DSP amp with (2) 10mm plastic nuts. We removed it entirely, though it wasn't required as far as space is concerned. This is fuzzy as I was fueled by medication and monster energy drinks for the 13 hours straight we worked on the car overnight so bare with me here.

My car had "FM1 and FM2". I haven't been able to confirm the functionality of the FM Radio yet in NBT as I haven't worked on the car since Saturday night/Sunday morning and we've still got to complete the connector for the iDrive controller so I'll have to get back with you on that. I'll get more photos of the install asap so it's a bit clearer as to what we used and what we didn't.

The microphone and associated plug, I think I'll be able to use the one that's already in the car. If it does work(since it's a single mic) it may require coding for it to work properly with NBT. We need to take another look at the E39's OEM pinouts to locate the actual wires for the factory mic. If it doesn't work out, I'll purchase an F3x mic setup and use the runs of ethernet we have in the car to connect it manually.

I'll try and get some of this information together for you tonight, if I don't, know I'm working on it.
    Last edited by BMWCACincinnati; 03-13-2018 at 04:35 PM. Reason: removed Actual name

Garage Queen: Biarritz Blue 540i6
    Daily Driver: Burger Tuned Titan Silver 535xiT
    Sold: RHD Steel Blue E46 328i
    Sold: 2006 Black Sapphire M5

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCACincinnati View Post
    Grinder, I saw your PM, but I believe there is a minimum post count required for me to respond. So, my response is pasted below:

Sorry work has me rather preoccupied. Weekdays are really tough for me sometimes. I believe the cars GPS antenna signal makes multiple stops along the way to make "Ye olde" nav work. Off the top of my head(my car allegedly had MK2 nav, still had trimble) the first stop the antenna makes is to the Trimble, which is held to the back of the DSP amp with (2) 10mm plastic nuts. We removed it entirely, though it wasn't required as far as space is concerned. This is fuzzy as I was fueled by medication and monster energy drinks for the 13 hours straight we worked on the car overnight so bare with me here.

My car had "FM1 and FM2". I haven't been able to confirm the functionality of the FM Radio yet in NBT as I haven't worked on the car since Saturday night/Sunday morning and we've still got to complete the connector for the iDrive controller so I'll have to get back with you on that. I'll get more photos of the install asap so it's a bit clearer as to what we used and what we didn't.

The microphone and associated plug, I think I'll be able to use the one that's already in the car. If it does work(since it's a single mic) it may require coding for it to work properly with NBT. We need to take another look at the E39's OEM pinouts to locate the actual wires for the factory mic. If it doesn't work out, I'll purchase an F3x mic setup and use the runs of ethernet we have in the car to connect it manually.

I'll try and get some of this information together for you tonight, if I don't, know I'm working on it.
    The newer mic works fine with existing mic wiring, but you might have to swap two pins depending on if you use the new mic or old e39 mic. Only reason dual mics is for passenger to be heard better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Good stuff guys! Keep this thing evolving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    2002 E39 M5
    Mic pinout:

1 - MIC+
    2 - Not used/Shield
    3 - MIC-
    '02 TiAg/Blk E39 ///M5
    '08
    JZB/FR E92 ///M3

My Cars
    E39 M5
    First, thanks to everyone on here, you've all been extremely helpful. Special shout-out to theshafro for an awesome cable setup.

I'm now to the extremely annoying (to me) part of actually coding the NBT and DSP. I'm doing my best to compile all the coding info so other noobs, like myself, can try to tackle this project. Here's my personal-reference guide (basically all the links I'm saving) that I hope will be useful to others.

First, I'm going to need Esys. I installed a VM that has everything BUT esys. (will try to post link later)
    Then i found this: http://www.bmwcoding.online/software-downloads/esys/
    Another VM, but one of the files is corrupted. I'll have to work through that. There are direct downloads, but I've had trouble installing in the past, so VM seems easiest.

But on to my actual issues. Even wired up, the screen says "no signal." I'm hoping its like Like this post (link) and my NBT is in travel mode.
    In the above post there were no steps to resolve it, but googling led me here (link)

I may need to update maps with a brief how-to here (link)

Here are some posted instructions on NBT programming (link)

As for the actual FSC generator, I haven't figured that part out yet.

On to the DSP:

I am anticipating some initial volume issues, but need to re-find the posts about that and fixes.
    I'll also likely get the sound cutting-out after around ~30 seconds. To fix this I'll need to use NCS and follow this post (link)

What else should I track down and be prepared for? Is there already a comprehensive how-to on some "other" coding forum?

Thanks again for all your help everyone!

My Cars
    E39 M5
    "Update" to above:

I finally was ready to attempt some coding, or at least initial connections. Then i realized my laptop has no ethernet port...fail. So i'm going to grab a USB-to-Ethernet adapter and see if I cant make some headway.

Anyways,
    I realized the travel mode portion of my post is just to test if it is, but no instructions on how to change it. Hopefully it becomes apparent. I fired up my installation of tool32, and when i run the nbt.prg there are no jobs available. I see jobs for other prg, so not sure what's going on there. I am definitely not connected to the car, but there are no errors and other jobs appear; I would expect the jobs to load, just not execute. But user guides on tool32 are hard to come by so far.

In doing other research, it appears that IF the car started with a 6.5" screen, it may also not display anything until the HU is coded (link) which also links here (link2).

I wish the coding part of this was more straight forward.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci
    "Update" to above:

I finally was ready to attempt some coding, or at least initial connections. Then i realized my laptop has no ethernet port...fail. So i'm going to grab a USB-to-Ethernet adapter and see if I cant make some headway.

Anyways,
    I realized the travel mode portion of my post is just to test if it is, but no instructions on how to change it. Hopefully it becomes apparent. I fired up my installation of tool32, and when i run the nbt.prg there are no jobs available. I see jobs for other prg, so not sure what's going on there. I am definitely not connected to the car, but there are no errors and other jobs appear; I would expect the jobs to load, just not execute. But user guides on tool32 are hard to come by so far.

In doing other research, it appears that IF the car started with a 6.5" screen, it may also not display anything until the HU is coded (link) which also links here (link2).

I wish the coding part of this was more straight forward.
    You can run Tool32 in simulation mode, which should load up the prg correctly, but you likely won’t have a simulation file to actually see what could happen. To turn this on, it’ll be in the options somewhere on the toolbar menus.

The error codes will show if the coded CID variant is wrong. The job for this (once you’re connected) is fs_lesen. The unit can also be taken out of transport mode if this is the case from within Tool32, using energiesparmode with argument 0.

Make sure you use Tool32 with administrative priveleges. Edit the Ediabas.ini file to set connection via XEthernet direct to tcp://169.254.199.99:6801 rather than auto detect if you are not using a ZGW and are connecting directly to the NBT via the Ethernet lines.
    Last edited by JPToadstool; 03-17-2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Additional info

My Cars
    1997 e39 540iA
    can you please post pictures how did you install NBT HU in trunk?
    Did you secure it, bolt, fix....custom made new brackets or just put in trunk on left side near amp

Mini is temporarily (one year ) fixed with cable ties......lol
    Last edited by CaleCro; 03-18-2018 at 12:32 AM.

My Cars
    2002 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by CaleCro View Post
    can you please post pictures how did you install NBT HU in trunk?
    Did you secure it, bolt, fix....custom made new brackets or just put in trunk on left side near amp

Mini is temporarily (one year ) fixed with cable ties......lol
    Look at post #2304 and 2305
    '02 TiAg/Blk E39 ///M5
    '08
    JZB/FR E92 ///M3

My Cars
    BMW E63 M6, RR L322 4.4
    I just tried using my cd slot last night but it won’t suck a disc in and afraid to push it all the way - is there a fix for this?

My Cars
    00 e39 M5
    getting back to my half ass implementation.

after flashing to 1.02.31 (from bmw-planet) my dash/climate/nbt have all switched to Celsius and KM, despite previously being correct on F/Miles. I've now got a 1.02.35c from CS to flash, will this fix it or is there some NBT coding I'll need to do?

After the flash, my GPS finally updates nearly realtime (vs previous once or twice a minute) but it's still a bit wrong. It will frequently see me facing the wrong direction, or place me a few dozen meters in the wrong direction like on the outer road isntead of freeway. This is especially a nightmare in interchanges. Will this work itself out with some miles driven, is it something else to code, or am I just stuck with it?

Mic seems to work fine for voice control/BT, but people I call say it sounds bad/scratchy. Is this indicative of needing to switch the wires as has been described? Or would they hear nothing if that needed to be done?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by sqweak View Post
    getting back to my half ass implementation.

after flashing to 1.02.31 (from bmw-planet) my dash/climate/nbt have all switched to Celsius and KM, despite previously being correct on F/Miles. I've now got a 1.02.35c from CS to flash, will this fix it or is there some NBT coding I'll need to do?

After the flash, my GPS finally updates nearly realtime (vs previous once or twice a minute) but it's still a bit wrong. It will frequently see me facing the wrong direction, or place me a few dozen meters in the wrong direction like on the outer road isntead of freeway. This is especially a nightmare in interchanges. Will this work itself out with some miles driven, is it something else to code, or am I just stuck with it?

Mic seems to work fine for voice control/BT, but people I call say it sounds bad/scratchy. Is this indicative of needing to switch the wires as has been described? Or would they hear nothing if that needed to be done?
    Which adapter do you have? Gen2 or Gen3? Extended or basic? I've been looking to see if there's a newer firmware for the adapter I have. Mine has very few niggling issues, but works great for the most part.

As for your mic, did you buy one of the newer FXX mics, or are you using the stock one that came with your car? The stock one I've heard can sound hollow and bad, but I've been using the newer FXX one and it works fine. I've not had any complaints from people I've talked to using it. If you use the newer mic, you'll need to swap the shield and negative wires on the mic harness.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pyro225 View Post
    I just tried using my cd slot last night but it won’t suck a disc in and afraid to push it all the way - is there a fix for this?

Before you put a disc in, have you made sure you wired the eject wire? If you haven't, it will be stuck unless you run the Tool32 command to eject it or wire it up. To be honest, playing discs on NBT in our cars isn't really useful as the discs would need to be loaded before driving anywhere and couldn't be changed easily. Add to that you'd need a button wired up to eject it, and the fact that in most of our cars, the NBT can't be mounted to where you can access the drive slot anyways.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by JPToadstool View Post
    You can run Tool32 in simulation mode, which should load up the prg correctly, but you likely won’t have a simulation file to actually see what could happen. To turn this on, it’ll be in the options somewhere on the toolbar menus.

The error codes will show if the coded CID variant is wrong. The job for this (once you’re connected) is fs_lesen. The unit can also be taken out of transport mode if this is the case from within Tool32, using energiesparmode with argument 0.

Make sure you use Tool32 with administrative priveleges. Edit the Ediabas.ini file to set connection via XEthernet direct to tcp://169.254.199.99:6801 rather than auto detect if you are not using a ZGW and are connecting directly to the NBT via the Ethernet lines.
    Thanks, this was helpful. Tried to connect today and got a standard IFH-0018 Initialization error. Searching has led me to the FAQ where it says the COM1 is unavailable, making me think it's looking in the wrong place since i'm not using a com port. So a few pointed questions:

1) Do i need to change the "Interface =STD:OBD" as well?

2) And do I actually put "tcp://169.254.199.99:6801" or leave off the port since it's "DiagnosticPort"?

3) Similarly, the "NetworkProtocol" is TCP, so does the RemoteHost require the "tcp:..."

4) Do I need to manually set my IP to a 169.254.x.y to make sure we're on the same subnet?

Thanks everyone

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Been following this since the beginning. Great looking system, but some bugs still lingering here and there. Amazing work by you all to get it so far. Does anyone have a fully operating setup with all bugs sorted?
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Been following this since the beginning. Great looking system, but some bugs still lingering here and there. Amazing work by you all to get it so far. Does anyone have a fully operating setup with all bugs sorted?
    Mine is pretty much 100%. The only things I have to deal with is when the time gets to 8 minutes after the hour, the clock on the NBT display goes back to the :00 minute of the hour for 2 minutes, then at 10 minutes after the hour, it syncs up again. This happens every hour, but the clock on the cluster keeps proper time the whole time and it doesn't really bug me that much. Other than that, all functions work properly. As you've seen Redshift's as well, you know his is pretty much properly working as well. I think the issue with his nav is similar to my DSC module failure and I think it's from his failing again. It causes the nav to do some weird stuff when one or more of the ABS sensors is feeding bad data.

-Paul

My Cars
    E53
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Adapter Gen3 Extended. I've been looking to see if there's a newer firmware for the adapter I have.
    Latest is Extended_IBUS_Retrofit_USB_v_1_02_35c.

My Cars
    00 e39 M5
    Which adapter do you have? Gen2 or Gen3? Extended or basic? I've been looking to see if there's a newer firmware for the adapter I have. Mine has very few niggling issues, but works great for the most part.

As for your mic, did you buy one of the newer FXX mics, or are you using the stock one that came with your car? The stock one I've heard can sound hollow and bad, but I've been using the newer FXX one and it works fine. I've not had any complaints from people I've talked to using it. If you use the newer mic, you'll need to swap the shield and negative wires on the mic harness.
    Gen3 extended. I'm on 1.02.35c now

Car didn't come with a mic, i ordered https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...m/84316938762/ which I believe is the OEM e39 one?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by sqweak View Post
    Gen3 extended. I'm on 1.02.35c now

Car didn't come with a mic, i ordered https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...m/84316938762/ which I believe is the OEM e39 one?
    Yeah, should have bought the later one recommended by Germaniks back in the day. I can't remember the part number.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-Paul

My Cars
    00 e39 M5
    Yeah, should have bought the later one recommended by Germaniks back in the day. I can't remember the part number.
    That's the one he told me to order, in late 15/16, but it doesnt appear to be the newer Fxx one from what I can tell.

My Cars
    E39 M5
    I finally connected to the car with tool32.

A few notes:
    The NBT seems to turn off shortly after power is connected, so there's a limited window before you star getting the "NO CONNECTION" or a "DATATRANSMISSION TO INTERFACE DISTURBED" error.
    Is that normal or indicative that it's not getting a wakeup command and going to sleep?

It appears that energiesparmode is "nicht aktiv" so I'm kinda bummed out since I have "no signal" on the screen.

I have been focusing on getting it out of transport mode with tool32, so haven't configured esys yet. I briefly tried to connect via the ethernet cable by selecting the F010 and tried gateway and ICOM/Ethernet using url "tcp://169.254.199.99:6801" and both times got a port out of range error.

Back to the NBT itself, what else could be wrong, and how should I test it?

I have yet to connect the wires to behind the cluster as I'm really just trying to make sure everything works. Are those two wires required for a proper "wake-up" signal?

Thanks for all your help guys

Page 93 of 109 FirstFirst ... 43688384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast